• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Moe Tournament (nominations closed)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Speaking of Moe, here is a translation of an entry in Akamatsu's diary on the subject.

It should be pointed out that, while Akamatsu Ken is obviously an important connoiseur of moe, a number of Japanese fans and pundits have disagreed with his analysis and his definition.

One of the more amusing dissenters is ABe Yoshitoshi, who has been lampooning the whole concept of moe in a series of hilariously parodic manga, wherein spurious etymologies for moe are continually expounded on. I'd link to it, but I can't really find a legitimate site to link to. I'm sure it's available out there in the murky depths of fansub-land, though. Wink

dormcat wrote:
For those who still want to nominate, there are four hours remain.

I've sorted them up, alphabetically, with lead roles in bold text; being the lead does not necessary to be more moe. It's impossible to include links, mug shots and brief intro now; those will be included when the fight starts.

Here we go.

(many lines omitted, TATGOB)

Whew! If I counted it correctly, there are 208 contestants.

All right, I can see a few that are still missing:

Aishiteruze Baby
Kokoro Takunaga

Last Exile
Lavie Head

Shakugan no Shana
Kazumi Yoshida

- abunai

opyt a xif ot TIDE

Last edited by abunai on Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
angel_lover

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:14 pm Reply with quote
angel_lover wrote:
Uta∽Kata? Yes, definitely Ichika, possibly Keiko too.

Other random nominations would include Yuri from Alien 9, Tohru from Fruits Basket, and Laburey from Neoranga (although I guess that last one might be a little obscure).

Did I break a rule somewhere?
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Some other nominations before things close down:

Mitsuki Kouyama from Full Moon wo Sagashite

Misaki Suzuhara from Angelic Layer

Kisa Sohma from Fruits Basket

I belive these are from the last 5 years, apologies if I broke any rule.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:33 pm Reply with quote
angel_lover wrote:
angel_lover wrote:
Uta∽Kata? Yes, definitely Ichika, possibly Keiko too.

Other random nominations would include Yuri from Alien 9, Tohru from Fruits Basket, and Laburey from Neoranga (although I guess that last one might be a little obscure).

I think they were just missed in the list.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Samurai CDZ

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Misaki Suzuhara from Angelic Layer

Shuko Suzuhara (her mother) was far more moe to me. So, I'll submit her.

Also, I missed Sakaki.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:25 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
angel_lover wrote:

I think they were just missed in the list.

Oops. My bad. Please accept my apology.
(Bows to angel_lover) m(_ _)m

Now we have all nominees ready. Seeds apart, does anyone have a suggestion on methods of random grouping? I can only think of using random numbers. As for seeds, I'd like to go with what abunai has suggested.
He is the very incarnation of impeccable objectivity, after all. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
daxomni

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:25 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Speaking of Moe, here is a translation of an entry in Akamatsu's diary on the subject.

That works better, for me at least.

If "Moe" is strictly a feeling of wanting to care for and protect something fragile and cute, like wanting to adobt a lost kitten, then I can see this quality in myself. However, the original comments in this thread seemed to include other forms of longing that I do not see in myself and would be concerned about if I did.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:50 am Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:
Shiroi Hane wrote:

That works better, for me at least.

If "Moe" is strictly a feeling of wanting to care for and protect something fragile and cute, like wanting to adobt a lost kitten, then I can see this quality in myself. However, the original comments in this thread seemed to include other forms of longing that I do not see in myself and would be concerned about if I did.

Let me share with you an excerpt from a PM I recently wrote:

abunai wrote:

For me, moe is a concept completely divorced from sexuality. It boils down to an intense desire to protect and guide a young female. A corresponding emotion exists (in the balanced individual) for young males, but with a slightly different focus - the desire to mold and educate. Essentially, a grown man wants to protect and nurture young females, and to make young males into carbon-copies of himself, or close approximations thereof. This is a basic human drive, IMO.

In other words, I view moe as a state of surrogate parenthood - but a parenthood that (because it isn't genetically biased by the individual being your actual offspring) is largely based on conscious choice, rather than parental instinct. So to speak, you love your own children, regardless of their nature, because they are yours - but moe is the emotion you feel when you look at a young female who isn't your offspring and think "I wish I had a daughter like that."

Of course, with the infantilisation of adult females in Japan (the burikko phenomenon), it is hardly surprising that moe should extend to adult females as well. I suspect that this is the source of the sexualisation of moe among Japanese otaku, which makes us Westerners so uncomfortable - that the group of moe-able females in Japan extends into a later (and sexually active) age bracket.

It isn't especially surprising, given the notable lack of sexual experience of the (stereo)typical otaku, that this should lead to confusion between between which females are legitimate targets of sexual attraction, and which are not. Possibly, this erasing of the boundaries between nubile and pre-nubile females may be the root cause of much of the lolicon phenomenon. In that model, lolicon is the result of an unfortunate combination of moe and burikko.

And, as I said in that PM, there is an emotion corresponding to moe, that applies to presentable young males - the desire to be a role model, to take the young male and turn him into a younger version of yourself. I suspect it's a deeply-rooted primate/tribal thing. That this emotion does not have a catchy Japanese term to describe it, does not make it any less real.

In conclusion... moe is a healthy, non-sexual thing. Combined with the tendency towards infantilisation of adult females in Japan, it can produce some unfortunate side effects - but these are artifacts of Japanese society and culture, and not directly a part of the concept of moe. We need not regard them as any more relevant to our experience than other innately Japanese concepts like, for instance, seppuku.

-abunai
daxomni

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I'm cool with Moe now.

My vote is for Al from Last Exile (currently watching). She's fairly shy and cute and apparently needs some serious protection from some very determined foes. If it's not time to vote yet then just save this post for later.

Why not just host a poll on some webpage somewhere? Some of the free sites allow polls, unless I'm mistaken.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Oh blast! I forgot a candidate!
Oh well, rules apply to everybody, including the tournament arrangers, so Winry Rockbell from Full Metal Alchemist will have to sit in the corner and play the wallflower... しくしく

- abunai
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:19 pm Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:
Why not just host a poll on some webpage somewhere?

Most poll systems (cookie-based) allows user to vote multiple times anonymously by deleting the cookie file. We want

1) One vote per person*
2) User who had registered prior to PantsGoblin's thread opener at 08:30 am GMT, Nov 23, 2005.

Of course, one can create multiple accounts, but that's much more inefficient and troublesome than deleting cookie files.

abunai wrote:
Oh blast! I forgot a candidate!

Since you've mentioned one, well, so did I. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop

Ai Enma, from Jigoku Shoujo. Another example of Mamiko Noto = moe.

It's still unfinished even in Japan, so it's safe to leave it till next year.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:38 am Reply with quote
Time for seeds nomination and grouping, I think. I'd say we better post reasons for nomination now, for there are only five candidates. Following abunai's guideline:

abunai wrote:
What I meant was that we should choose the ones we think are likely to have a good chance of winning, rather than the ones we personally want to see win.

Two additional personal opinions: 1) Take visibility into count. Some characters have very devoted yet very small group of fans, particularly for unlicensed titles. 2) Kawaii (cute) != moe, although most, if not all, moe girls are kawaii. Cats are kawaii; catgirls are moe.

I'll go first:

1. Chii from Chobits. Without an operating system, Chii virtually knows nothing about her surroundings and needs a lot of guidance and protection. Her cute smile and voice (thanks to Rie Tanaka) could bring out "awwww" from every man and most women (unless Chii poses as her rival). Plus, any man becomes a dirty old man in front of her. Albeit her innocent look, she eminates more seductive message than any other character on the list.

2. Misuzu Kamio from Air. Eager to seek for friendship and maternal love while spoiler[having a millenium-long curse over her shoulder], she is the most kawaisou girl in recent anime. Who would refuse to help this poor little girl spoiler[breaking the curse]?

3. Chise from SaiKano. A timid high schooler in front of Shuuji vs. an angel of death at the frontline who has difficulty to deal with her emotions and spoiler[degenerating body]. Similar to Misuzu, Chise is another female lead who would make you cry for her.

4. Alvis E. Hamilton from Last Exile. In addition to be mysterious, naive, innocent, and fragile, she begins to show spoiler[some budding affection towards Claus (of course, Lavie wouldn't be happy about it)]. This adds lots of points for her, because devotion is an important factor of moe concept. Her hairstyle and goat toy added her childish cuteness.

5. Henrietta from Gunslinger Girl. The only survived member of a massacre, Giuseppe (if you listen closely and/or have read the manga and examined name tags closely, you'll know his name is not José (Spanish) but Giuseppe (Italian)) has become her only relative on Earth. For her, Giuseppe is a father, a brother, a mentor, and possibly, a lover. It's her devotion and her timid/angel-of-death personality (similar to Chise's) have made her such a moe character.

Honorable mention: Shinobu Maehara from Love Hina. Ken Akamatsu created her intentionally to fill the "onii-chan calling girl" role. I believe everyone in this thread knows her. Anime catgrin

Hmm, I've notice a common trait among them: each of them has a different sad story, forcing (?) the male lead to assist and protent her.

For grouping: any suggestion other than using a randomizer? If not, I'm going to generate numbers and assign them to each nominee (except seeds).
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:23 am Reply with quote
All right.. I've gone through the last few posts before the deadline, and brought the list up to date. I've also marked the current organizer-selected seeds (5 of mine and 5 of dormcat's, so far) in blue, and the predetermined seeds (i.e. the Top32 from SaiMoe, and excluding the Gokujou Seitokai characters), shown in green

Since Dormcat gave reasons for his own five selections for seeds, I'd better do the same:

1. Orihime Inoue from Bleach - Despite her high intelligence, she's an airhead - a quirk of her childlike character. She maintains an unreasonably positive outlook, and her courage is impressive, albeit in a childishly innocent way. For all her strength, you get the impression that she is fragile and easily hurt.

2. Tohru Honda from Fruits Basket - Another character with an almost pathologically positive attitude to life. Any adversity is met with indomitable optimism. Even so, one gets the feeling that all her happiness could crumble at any moment. If that doesn't bring out the protective urge, I don't know what will.

3. Eri Sawachika from School Rumble - On the surface, Eri-chan appears to be strong and resilient. Her beauty, her wealth and her non-Japanese ancestry serve to set her apart from her classmates. Yet, underneath it all, she's clearly a lonely person. In a readers' poll of character popularity for the manga, Eri-chan (and Yakumo, who is already seeded due to her success in SaiMoe) easily nudged out the series' lead character, Tenma-chan.

4. Karen Onodera from Please Twins! - On the surface the weaker of the two female leads in Please Twins!, Karen has all the traits calculated to induce moe: she's timid, weak, indecisive, and sweet. Personally, I would prefer Miina, but I think that, of the two, Karen is more likely to be a winner.

5. Shinobu Maehara from Love Hina - I agree with dormcat. She's practically the epitome of the onii-chan girl. Akamatsu Ken knows his audience very well, and plays them like an instrument. She has to be considered a top seed.

These aren't necessarily my favourite characters - but characters that I consider to have a good chance of winning, for the various reasons given. Therefore, they are my selections for seeds.

LIST OF NOMINEES AND SEEDS

Organizer-nominated seeds in blue;
SaiMoe Top32 "automatic" seeds in green;
Lead characters in bold

Ah! My Goddess
Skuld
Sora Hasegawa

Ai Yori Aoshi and sequel Ai Yori Aoshi ~ Enishi
Aoi Sakuraba
Chika Minazuki
Taeko Minazuki

Air
Kannabi-no-mikoto
Kano Kirishima
Minagi Tohno
Misuzu Kamio

Aishiteruze Baby
Yuzuyu
Kokoro Takunaga

Alien 9
Yuri

Angelic Layer
Misaki Suzuhara
Shuko Suzuhara

Aria
Ai
Akari Mizunashi
Alice
Alicia Florence
Athena

Azumanga Daioh
Chiyo Mihama
Ayumu "Osaka" Kasuga
Sakaki

Bleach
Momo Hinamori
Orihime Inoue
Rukia Kuchiki
Nanao Ise
Soi Fong
Yuzu Kurosaki

Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan
Dokuro-chan

Bottle Fairy
Chiriri
Hororo
Kururu
Sarara

Tama-chan

Cardcaptor Sakura
Sakura Kinomoto
Tomoyo Daidouji

Chobits
Chii
Sumomo

Chrono Crusade
Azmaria Hendric

Comic Party series
Aya Hasebe

Da Capo series
Aisia
Miharu Amakase
Sakura Yoshino

Di Gi Charat series
Piyoko
Puchiko

Elfen Lied
Mariko
Mayu
Nana
Nyuu

Fantastic Children
Helga

Figure 17
Hikaru Shiina
Tsubasa Shiina

FLCL
Mamimi Samejima

Fruits Basket
Tohru Honda
Kisa Sohma

Full Metal Panic!
Teletha "Tessa" Testarossa

Full Moon wo Sagashite
Mitsuki Kouyama

Fushigiboshi no Futagohime
Rain

Futakoi + Futakoi Alternative
Ai Chigusa
Koi Chigusa
Lala Hinagiku
Lulu Hinagiku
Kaoruko Ichijou
Sumireko Ichijou
Kira Sakurazaki
Yura Sakurazaki
Sara Shirogane
Souju Shirogane

Futatsu no Spica
Asumi Kamogawa
Marika Ukita

Galaxy Angel
Milfeulle Sakuraba
Mint Blancmanche
Vanilla H

Gokujou Seitokai
Ayumu Oume
Cyndi Manabe
Kanade Jinguuji
Kaori Izumi
Kuon Ginga
Mayura Ichikawa
Nanaho Kinjou
Rein Tsunomoto
Rino Randou
Sayuri Hida
Seina Katsura

Green Green
Futaba Kutsuki
Sanae Minami
Midori Chitose

Gunslinger Girl
Angelica
Henrietta
Rico

Hanaukyo Maid-Tai series
Cynthia / Grace
Konoe Tsurugi
Mariel

He is my Master
Anna Kurauchi
Izumi Sawatari
Mitsuki Sawatari

Honey and Clover
Ayumi "Ayu" Yamada
Hagumi "Hagu-chan" Hanamoto

Ichigeki Sacchu!! HoiHoi-san
HoiHoi-san

Ichigo Mashimaro
Ana
Chika
Matsuri
Miu

Iriya no Sora, UFO no Natsu
Kana Iriya

Kamichu!
Yurie Hitotsubashi

Kannaduki no Miko
Chikane Himemiya

Kanon
Ayu Tsukimiya
Makoto Sawatari
Nayuki Minase

Key the Metal Idol
Tokiko "Key" Mima

Kiddy Grade
Lumiere
Viola

Kimi ga Nozomu Eien
Akane Suzumiya
Ayu Daikuuji
Haruka Suzumiya
Mayu Tamano

Koi Kaze
Nanoka Kohinata

Kokoro Library
Kokoro

Kurau: Phantom Memory
Christmas

Last Exile
Alvis E. Hamilton
Lavie Head

Love Hina
Moe
Shinobu Maehara

Mahoraba
Asami Kurosaki

( Shocked OMG! We forgot to include Kozue-chan! Kill me now!)

Mahoromatic series
Mahoro
Minawa

Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha
Nanoha Takamachi

Mai-HiME
Akane Higurashi
Mai Tokiha
Midori Sugiura
Natsuki Kuga
Shizuru Fujino

Mao-chan
Mao Onigawara
Misora Tsukishima
Silvia Maruyama

Maria-sama ga Miteru
Shimako Toudou
Yumi Fukuzawa

Midori no Hibi
Midori Kasugano

Negima
Nodoka "Honya-chan" Miyazaki
Evangeline A. K. McDowell
Setsuna Sakurazaki
Konoka Konoe
Ayaka Yukihiro

Neoranga
Laburey

Now and Then, Here and There
Lala-Ru

Nurse Witch Komugi
Komugi Nakahara

Pani Poni Dash!
Himeko Katagiri
Rebecca Miyamoto

PetoPeto-san
Hatoko "Petoko" Fujimura
Kuguru Sahara
Chochomaru Sahara
Nuri-chan
Konuri-chan

Piano
Miu Nomura

Pita Ten
Misha
Shia
Koboshi Uematsu

Please Twins!
Ichigo Morino
Karen Onodera
Miina Miyafuji
Mizuho Kazami

Popotan
Mi

Princess Mononoke
Kaya

Rizelmine
Rizel Iwaki

Rozen Maiden
Hina Ichigo
Shinku
Souseiseki
Suigintou
Suiseiseki
Tomoe Kashiwaba

SaiKano
Chise

Sakura Wars series
Iris Chateaubriand

School Rumble
Eri Sawachika
Tenma Tsukamoto
Yakumo Tsukamoto

Shakugan no Shana
Shana
Kazumi Yoshida

Sister Princess series
Aria
Chikage
Haruka
Hinako
Kaho
Karen
Mamoru
Marie
RinRin
Sakuya
Shirayuki
Yotsuba

Solty Rei
Solty Revant

Stratos 4
Karin Kikuhara

Strawberry Eggs
Fuko Kuzuha

Sugar: A Little Snow Fairy
Pepper
Sugar

Suzuka
Honoka Sakurai

Tactics
Youko

Tenchi Muyo! series
Sasami

The Place Promised in Our Early Days
Sayuri Sawatari

This Ugly and Beautiful World
Akari
Hikari

Mari Nishino

ToHeart series
Akari Kamigishi
Aoi Matsubara
Kotone Himekawa
Multi
Serika Kurusugawa

Tokyo Mew Mew
Ichigo Momomiya / Mew Ichigo

Tsukihime
Akiha Tohno
Arcueid Brunestud
Hisui
Kohaku
Satsuki Yumizuka

Tsukuyomi ~ Moon Phase
Art
Hazuki

Uta~Kata
Ichika
Keiko

Victorian Romance Emma
Emma

Whisper of the Heart
Yuuko Harada

Yakitate!! Japan
Tsukino Azusagawa

Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito
Hatsumi Azuma

Yokohama Kaidashi Kiko
Kokone Takatsu

Zettai Shonen
Kisa Tanigawa

Zoids Genesis
Rei Mii

- abunai
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:34 am Reply with quote
Excellent list, but I would have added Mamiji to Fruits Basket. spoiler[Yes I know she's a boy] but still she acts in a moe sort of way ne? Wink
angel_lover

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:43 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
To avoid scaring away the less broad-minded fans, let's agree to avoid any non-humanoid (Ebichu, Hamutaro) or transvestite ("Isabella", etc.) characters. Okay?

I guess that would rule out Momiji even if nominations hadn't closed now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9