• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Myriad Colors Phantom World

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:52 am Reply with quote
quaton wrote:
2 volumes is actually normal for Kyoani standards: Most of their recent shows only had 1-2 volumes published when they got adpated. And yet those had vastly more plot and character exploration than this show.

I'd agree with you on plot, but the series has had a fair amount of character exploration.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Manwards

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:54 am Reply with quote
I've seen almost everything KyoAni have ever produced (everything except Full Metal Panic, so far as I'm aware), and I'd have to say this is my least favourite. I had huge issues with Kyoukai no Kanata too, but at least it had an overarching storyline.

KyoAni shows being light on plot is nothing new, but there has to be something else there instead. K-ON! and Free, in my opinion, excelled in crafting likeable characters and fun little adventures. The characters felt like people, and their friendships and rivalries had some real spine to them.

Phantom World, meanwhile, hasn't developed its characters beyond a single problem that gets solved at the eleventh hour in some cliched way and then is never mentioned again. Haruhiko's huge dramatic revelation about his mother leaving in episode 4 made me laugh out loud, because there hadn't been a single hint of it before (even in the scenes set in Haruhiko's house), and it hasn't been mentioned again as far as episode 10. From what I've seen, he could have just made it up to stop Reina from running off with the bunny people! I haven't seen episode 11 yet, but even so.

I don't find the show funny, I don't find it sexy, and the battles are all so (seemingly intentionally) low-stakes that they come across as pointless. There hasn't been a single moment of tension or a single unexpected turn in the 10 episodes I've seen, and I'd be very surprised if the next few episodes can turn things around.

I really don't like to be negative about a KyoAni show. They're by far my favourite animation studio, and I really did give this show a chance. It's like some strange relic from the early 2000s, and KyoAni's ample animation skills and budget seem utterly wasted on it.

Roll on more Hibike! Euphonium...
crx07

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:03 pm Reply with quote
The first LN volume got an honorable mention at the 4th KyoAni Awards. The same award is given to Chuunibyou, Kyoukai no Kanata, and Free. Why does the anime adaptation turn out like this? Haven't read the LN so I cannot comment to the LN.
Spike Terra
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:35 pm Reply with quote
This was by far my favorite episode of this series to date. I've always liked these parent/child style stories and I think Phantom World had one of the better examples of this style of story.

Mai shines in this story as she struggles to properly take care of Haruhiko. It was great to see a more responsible and caring side of Mai and her interactions with child Haruhiko were fun to watch. I liked how Haruhiko acknowledged Mai's sacrifices during the episode and how he really wanted to help her out.

Something I realized at the end of the episode, was how much growth these characters have gone through over the course of this series. Koito has become much more social, while Kurumi and Reina have much more confidence. Granted the bulk of this character development was established during their personal episodes.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Ep 12 wrote:
Haruhiko runs after his mother as she is about to leave and merges with an image of himself as a youngster watching her go – only this time he isn't just watching.

Theron has been (correctly in my view) pointing out the flaws in story building in this anime, yet most of us seem to have been enjoying it within that limitation. Yet after this happened I felt a bit more moved that I thought I would have been to seen Haruhiko's willing devotion to a relationship with his mother who abandoned him. He was very willing to forgive and get on with something positive. By all rights it should have been a "too little too late" kind of thing but somehow it wasn't. Anyone else see it that way?

I hope with Enigma's departure his mother's memories weren't fully erased. That way they will at least be able to salvage something worthwhile out of it even though her return wasn't her own volition.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:57 am Reply with quote
I really liked this episode, and the last one two. If the rest of the series had been like those, I might even have been interested in buying this, but yeah, too little, too late.

Even Ruru thought she might be an impostor, but he brushed her off with "she knows too much," like he hasn't seen telepathic phantoms before (I dunno, maybe the bunny family weren't, but they certainly knew what buttons to press), or that they couldn't exist. I guess Satoru isn't the only character this season who sees only what they want very much to see.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Theron wrote:
It's very suspicious, but no one else seems to think so – in fact, everyone is happy that he has renewed his connection with his mother

I'd disagree with you partially here. The group all acknowledged that it was suspicious, but after seeing how happy Haruhiro is resolved not to act until they had certain proof. Recall how Mai says that they'll contact their teacher first, and then visit Haruhiro's house to vet his mom for themselves.

Unfortunately they all got trashed anyways, leading to Haruhiro getting one of the worst first kisses in anime, but they did their best to balance his safety and his happiness.

I really liked this episode. There was nice comedy with the copyright joke at the begin and the various girls reactions, a wonderfully serious atmosphere with the intimidating Enigma, and the strong moments with Haruhiro's issues with his mom, and his own desire to move past the perceived mistakes of his past.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:10 pm Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
Unfortunately they all got trashed anyways, leading to Haruhiro getting one of the worst first kisses in anime, but they did their best to balance his safety and his happiness.

Ooooh, I'm glad you pointed it out that way, as I hadn't considered that angle. That would, indeed, be worthy of acknowledging in end-of-year honors.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:59 pm Reply with quote
While this series was able to keep my interest until the end.. this was not as good as a B- as the reviewer states. At Best a Solid C, with some parts below that.. Or to sum it up a Meh.. performance.
chronos02

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Weel, seeing how this adaptation from the LN series exists solely to promote the LN series, I have to say it isn't half bad, though it only adapts the first novel I beliebe, which is the weakest, by far, of all the volumes. What's more, the first novel is there only to introduce the plot of the series, which it does little by little in each chapter of the volume; In that sense, the anime adaptation is faithful to the original, though it adds the fanservice to enhance interest in the series (though some might say it deters people from reading the novels).

Given the objective, I'd rank the series with an A- or even an A.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Pity that Volume 2 spoiler[murders everyone and reduces Haruhiko to a delusional gibbering wreck.]

As for the anime, it wasn't the show that I was hoping it would be (one with a more consistent ongoing plot), but it was a fun show nonetheless. It entertained me, it titillated me, it made me laugh, and it even evoke real suspense and sympathy in me, so it did well.

Not sure if I'd recommend it, but I definitely don't regret it.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:17 pm Reply with quote
There were a couple of good episodes towards the end, but this is to me easily the worst anime that Kyoto Animation has ever produced and a candidate for worst anime of the year.

I am a fan of Kyoto Animation, but I recognize when they have missteps. I hope they stop doing crappy anime series like this one.

I give Myriad Colors Phantom World a C- or So-so rating.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:27 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
a candidate for worst anime of the year.

How could anything else be a candidate for worst anime of the year in a year with Divine Gate?
ChatxKilluaxNoir

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:29 pm Reply with quote
I myself didn't really like this show too much, one reason being how the mc was treated pretty badly, like I really hated until basically the end he was treated as useless, & baisically made his powers fail all the time, not summoning something correctly etc., his powers were actually pretty awesome, summoning & sealing, but for the longest time they him the weakest, & basically made his powers kind of useless, i got so frustrated when he first try to summon the hell hound, it what got summon was a small dog, I was like"really", I know they explained this some, & they kind of made up for it, but was still not enough, with how badly they treated him. I would like to see a second season, because I heard there is more to cover from the light season, & it takes an interesting turn, + being able to see the mc treated better , hopefully, if it were to get a second season would be great, also this bring my subject, why does the review say series finale, when there is probably more stuff to cover, & could have a second season. Again I would like to clarify that I didn't hate this anime, but I would like the mc to be treated better, a better storyline, more, better fights, & for stuff about their world, magic, the supernatural, & powers to be explained mo....re?, if were to get a second season. Mad
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:35 pm Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
a candidate for worst anime of the year.

How could anything else be a candidate for worst anime of the year in a year with Divine Gate?

I suppose I should clarify. Candidate for the worst anime I have watched in its entirety. Divine Gate looked so awful that I was not even able to watch the first episode.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7