• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Piracy Anime, Manga Sites KissAnime, KissManga Shut Down

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Good that place was hot garbage and so is this one site this I frequent that where it used to be I could watch stuff with ad block now they won't let me use it without turning them off. At least the video player itself itsn't plagued with ads. The other site I go to all the ads are disabled, but the videos if you pause and unpause it creates a pop up ad.

I don't use these sites too much unless there is a title rotting in Netflix jail, its a exclusive simulcast Funi title, Macross, or a niche OVA/TV series that I know for a fact will never get a English subbed release. I try to avoid watching illegally as much as I can, but with all these series that I am really interested in and want to watch there is no way to cause they are just too niche for any type of English release. I really hate using these sites honestly I'm always afraid I'll get a virus from the pop ups or the ads on screen lol, but I use them anyways cause I really want to watch certain series. xD

Torrenting isn't as hard as I thought it would be you just download a certain program and open it up then go to a certain anime torrenting site and boom that is it I was surprised cause I honestly thought it would be harder than that. I only used that program and that site to download a camrip of the Code Geass movie subbed from the US theater run. I'm not using that site again until I get a better job and get that one VPN (I think it was called Nord I don't remember) cause I feel like with torrenting my chances of getting caught are a whole lot bigger than direct downloading. I know that they do not get much traffic, but I'm sure Funi is probably aware of that particular site so I'm staying away for now. Overall I just use this for movies I really want to see if there are camrips I only used this place twice both of them were the Code Geass movie.

Other than that I'm purely legal streaming from Cruchyroll, HiDive, and RetroCrush I mean there are so many titles that are legal for us Americans, but not for the rest of the world who only have these ad riddled sites and torrenting so maybe losing KA is a big deal to them, but honestly there are tons better if ya look long enough. I kinda hope that RetroCrush goes to sub-based streaming like the rest so they can use that money to license more classic titles that are exclusive to them then maybe that niche OVA or Tv series I wanted to see they will be able to get!
F302 Pilot

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Hikifroggy wrote:
Almost Everyone used Kissanime or third party sites at one point in there life. These days i use Netflix Hulu,etc

But lot of anime/Manga are out of print (expensive as heck to buy) or license expire (no Streaming service) or manga/Anime that never get localized/translated to the west...

So i understand why some people look for alternatives...

A alternative for Kissanime is Youtube! where you can find shows that are out of print
Adv193

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:22 pm Reply with quote
The main hot issue is that aside from anime including classic anime that are/no longer licensed, there is also censored English dub releases that have no uncut alternative available, like the first five Digimon Seasons, Voltron, Sonic X, those kinds that people pirate who want to see it uncut.

Personally this is part of the problem that is not being fixed.

Also it has been 10 years since I quit torrenting due to the malware issues involved.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Adv193 wrote:
The main hot issue is that aside from anime including classic anime that are/no longer licensed, there is also censored English dub releases that have no uncut alternative available, like the first five Digimon Seasons, Voltron, Sonic X, those kinds that people pirate who want to see it uncut.

This is true, but the titles you've mentioned either have seen official subbed options or are still around.

Digimon? Adventure through Frontier did have an official subbed streaming option at some point, though Toei did admittedly take them down at various points; my guess is that Toei simply wants to focus on the newer stuff. That should be fixed.

Voltron? While Dairugger XV remains exclusive to the (highly out-of-print) Media Blasters boxsets, GoLion is still fully available on Crunchyroll subbed.

Sonic X? Not sure how much has been put up, but TMS is offering episodes of the original Japanese version subbed (captioned, technically) into English over on its YouTube channel.

Not trying to negate your argument, as it makes complete sense & should be addressed in some ways, but those specific shows you mentioned HAVE had or still do have official subbed options out there, precisely because there was demand.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Adv193 wrote:

Doubt it ever will. Kid targeted shows tend to have the most legal red tape surrounding them. Digimon was available subbed once (gone now though), but it used all the official Americanized terms. Same way Yu-Gi-Oh's official subs does for card names and terms, or JoJo's Bizarre Adventure does for stand names. Think for shows like those they really want to push them on TV or mainstream streaming dub-only first to see if they can be the next mega hit, and when they fail they'll settle for a sub only stream, or nothing at all like in the case of Doraemon and Yokai Watch. But after Glitter Force failed on Netflix we eventually got Healin Good Precure on Crunchyroll, but they're missing all the previous series, as well as the first 12 of Healin Good which makes the Crunchyroll stream useless to those not already pirating the show. Same thing happened with Detective Conan where they don't have the first 805 episodes Laughing That ones a bit more extreme though. Lots of mainstream Japanese shows never even come out here.

Y'know, people always talk about that kind of censorship, but I never seem them mention the other kind. Didn't Crunchyroll get some flak for airing an edited version of SAO? Streams only having TV broadcast edits is another thing which would technically fall under the censorship banner. I assume the home video release has the uncensored version (though not always!) but a lot of shows never get home releases here. So if you wanna watch the uncensored version of something like Gintama or Sket Dance you gotta sail those high seas.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Digimon? Adventure through Frontier did have an official subbed streaming option at some point, though Toei did admittedly take them down at various points; my guess is that Toei simply wants to focus on the newer stuff. That should be fixed.

Pretty sure they were taken down around the time Saban Brands had the license but you're right. Toei had subs of Adventure 02 available everywhere then Tamers followed soon after then for a short time, Cinedigm had original Adventure subs exclusively on Netflix.

The only seasons that never got legal sub releases were Digimon Frontier and Savers.

Quote:
Voltron? While Dairugger XV remains exclusive to the (highly out-of-print) Media Blasters boxsets, GoLion is still fully available on Crunchyroll subbed.

Dairugger XV was posted with English subs (via Closed Captions feature) last year on the Bandai Spirits YouTube channel.
Caloris

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Can't say that I had ever heard of this KissAnime site before yesterday.
Adv193

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:22 pm Reply with quote
One thing I never liked about those sites was pirating anime that was legally available (which I use official sites for, as I don't touch legally available material, I only go for unavailable or material whose international version is censored-only).

Also I thank the people who gave me good information.
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
Watching lots of old shows is something that you do mostly when getting into the hobby, after that it becomes more of a trickle as most likely you have already watched all the old shows that interest you.

And that's normal, talking about what's new and buying what's new is the norm, no matter the context.

It's exactly the opposite. The most available products are the recent new anime and manga. They don't have to be good, they just have to be blasted into everyone's face at all marketing arenas. When people saw anime on North American TV for the first time in the 80s / 90s, it was showing the biggest shows of that time. Same thing since streaming started.

Usually, people see an ongoing / recently aired popular mainstream show first. After that, people develop an interest for the medium in general and watch what is readily available, they realize their tastes and genres. From there, they discover older and more obscure titles that is not readily available because they care. You have to put in time and effort to find shows that are good but not well-known.

"General Audience" is a stage where the viewers never make it past the point where they develop an interest for the medium in general. That is why people would watch popular shows pirated on illegal website: convenience. It doesn't require a thoughtful reflective mindset to just pop onto a website to watch another episode of the latest whatever. It is being consumed mindlessly like fast food.

You also mentioned that you would run out of older shows to watch or that you will be left to watch new shows because you would have finished watching the old shows. As someone who has recently finished Osamu Tezuka's adult trilogy from 1969, I can tell you I completely disagree because I can see that there is an endless list of interesting and thought-provoking anime to watch, especially since everyone's interest is so different.
zrdb

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Kissanime? Never used it-I heard so many horror stories about it.
Freyanne

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:22 am Reply with quote
I personally didn't like or want to use websites like KissAnime because of "turn off ad-block or else" reasons (hate it when any website forces you to turn off ad-block in order to even look at a page), along with not wanting to risk getting malware and whatnot on my devices. Plus, I never really liked watching anime on a computer screen or a phone, and am one of those odd ones who'd rather watch it on a TV screen using a Blu-ray player or gaming console (I am aware of the ability to connect my devices directly to the TV itself, getting an extra monitor, ect.), and would rather just pay to use official streaming services so I can support the industry.

That said, I do feel bad for those who used it to watch anime that aren't available on any current/official/legal streaming services [in their country], especially older series that haven't had a physical release in years...if it ever had one in the first place. And of course I am aware that not everyone can truly afford to use multiple subscription streaming services like Netflix, VRV, Funimation, ect.
Heck, I'm sure as heck not a saint since I used torrents for a time back in the early-mid 00s, and admittedly the one manga I'm currently reading on occasion, on an unofficial manga site, I haven't bought any of the US volumes yet. As petty as this sounds, Viz kinda ruined buying manga volumes for me around 10-ish years ago when they put InuBaka: Crazy for Dogs, the one series that I bought 90% of the 17 US volumes during the first week of its release, on indefinite hiatus when it only had 5 volumes left before it ended. I bought at least 150+ volumes of manga until that happened, and I stopped reading manga for years because I much prefer holding a book/volume than reading it on a screen. So I can also understand those who were in a similar situation and ended up downloading/streaming their anime and manga due to that. I'm still a bit sad about what happened with ADV and Mermaid Melody: Pichi Pichi Pitch's dub. I know back in the day, you were basically screwed if a company ended up cancelling an official release of an anime/manga and that series wasn't a mainstream/popular series, so locating a [fully] fan sub or fan-translated version may not have been an option.

I will add that based on my experience: of all the people I personally knew that claimed they really couldn't afford to pay around $1x.xx or less a month to subscribe to even just one streaming series, most of them sure had no problem shelling out at least $50.00+ to buy [insert non-important purchases/necessities here] on a near-weekly basis. If you don't want to pay to watch anime or read manga, just "own that" and say you rather stream/download it for free. For real, it's okay to admit it. Just don't say you can't afford to buy or subscribe to ______ when the things you post on your IG/FB/Twitter feed say or imply otherwise, for example. I do apologize if I came off a bit rude, but I hope people understand what I mean by saying this.

Regardless if a website was legal or unofficial, situations like what happened with KissAnime are why I usually buy the physical version of an anime if I enjoy it. Generally speaking, you'll never know when a series will one day be removed from [insert streaming site here], and hopefully you have some time to buy/own the series before it completely gone. I still remember that panic years ago when Bandai Entertainment/Visual(?) was going to shut down, so I had to hurry and buy some series like Gundam Wing and Code Geass on DVD before they went out of print.

Adv193 wrote:

As far as Sonic X goes, you can actually watch the entire series in Japanese on Hulu if you are able to use it (unless the website is lying to me right now). You do bring up a good point, since a great chunk of anime that only had a censored dub release still don't have a legal way to obtain the JPN version without getting the actual Japan DVDs or BluRays. I still thank the heavens that Monster Rancher got an uncut JPN release thanks to Discotek, but I'm also still salty that the original JPN Digimon Adventure series hasn't had an official US DVD/Blu-Ray release. And there's a very slim chance of a US JPN release of Pokemon (the TV show) ever happening.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:33 am Reply with quote
xxmsxx wrote:
"General Audience" is a stage where the viewers never make it past the point where they develop an interest for the medium in general. That is why people would watch popular shows pirated on illegal website: convenience. It doesn't require a thoughtful reflective mindset to just pop onto a website to watch another episode of the latest whatever. It is being consumed mindlessly like fast food.

Gatekeeping at it's finest.
Fenrin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:55 am Reply with quote
I stopped using KissAnime years ago when they started aggressively pushing ads. Can't say I'll miss it.

I'd just like to note that KissAsian, KissCartoon (which has anime in their catalog) and ReadComicOnline(KissComic) are still currently up-and-running, so the cancer is not completely purged.
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:41 am Reply with quote
Tbh, it's their own fault for getting taken down. Imagine pirating anime only to sell premium membership to their subscribers for profits. They reap what they sow. Good riddance.
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:42 am Reply with quote
Basen on comment section, people comment more on KA than KM. Not gonna lie, I'm actually sad that KM is dead and thay means there are no legal sites(worldwide) to read non-WSJ mangas like Detective Conan, Komi-San, Teasing Master Takagi-San(and its spinoff), One Punch Man and Attack on Titan.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9