• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Higehiro

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Scream Man

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Oh thank God, I thought Id looked away and missed a really gross scene or something! Laughing Laughing
Fluwm

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 1:23 am Reply with quote
Reading these reviews just for the moment when...

Quote:
Higehiro is smart enough to keep its central relationship from imploding completely, because it would likely take the entire show with it.

...This happens.

Current odds are 4:1 it ends with a romantic pairing, 6:1 after a time-skip to be a bit less icky, if anyone wants to place any bets.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 2:59 am Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:
Current odds are 4:1 it ends with a romantic pairing, 6:1 after a time-skip to be a bit less icky, if anyone wants to place any bets.

The concluding light novel volume(volume 5) should come out this Summer, we'll know by then.
The Scream Man

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9. Well now we know what happened.

Unsurprisingly, Sayus family kind of suck.
Key

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 11:12 pm Reply with quote
The Scream Man wrote:

Her brother, at least, seems to genuinely care, and that was more than a bit of a surprise.

But the mother. . . there are certain things that you just don't say to kids, no matter the circumstances, and the mother hit two big ones in consecutive sentences. How was she expecting Sayu would react to that? (Actually, that's a rhetorical question. She clearly wasn't thinking.)

Last edited by Key on Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:17 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The Scream Man

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:16 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
The Scream Man wrote:

Her brother, at least, seems to genuinely car, and that was more than a bit of a surprise.

I mean he cares more, but he still let an emotionally distraut teenage girl disappear with a tonne of money and a "Hope for the best" attitude. He may not suck, but he isnt the greatest either...
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:34 pm Reply with quote
And here I thought she just didn't towel off properly after a shower thanks to depression.

Maybe it's a "tried the only thing she could think of to feel better"-type thing.
Danu06

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:53 pm Reply with quote
The Scream Man wrote:
Key wrote:
The Scream Man wrote:

Her brother, at least, seems to genuinely car, and that was more than a bit of a surprise.

I mean he cares more, but he still let an emotionally distraut teenage girl disappear with a tonne of money and a "Hope for the best" attitude. He may not suck, but he isnt the greatest either...

Agree, it felt like he was waiting for the moment her money ran out and return home.
Brother isnt a heartless bastard, but he put his business first.
The Anime Binge-Watcher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Gotta say, it really is unfortunate timing that this show came out right after Wonder Egg Priority. Sayu's backstory is fine enough, but I couldn't help but spend the entire episode thinking about how WEP had essentially the exact same backstory for Ai and handled it so much better.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There's a blink-and-you'll-miss it cut during Sayu's depression montage where she's shown lying butt naked on her hotel bed, her hand covered in a viscous white substance. Since the episode clearly established that she didn't start sleeping around until after the hotel money ran dry, and that she wouldn't have even had a dude to invite over in the meantime, the only way I can possibly interpret that scene is that she was masturbating. If so…why did the show feel the need to include that?

Yeah, she was masturbating. Believe that was placed there to show Sayu feeling like she was at her lowest point after dealing with all the problems with her family and school life while explaining her backstory to Yoshida and Asami. The light novel shed more light on this with Sayu wanted to get her mind off her personal problems by doing bad things, but didn't have the nerve to try drinking beer or smoking cigarettes. So pleasuring herself became her outlet to escape thinking about her personal problems while at the hotel.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
pip25

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:17 pm Reply with quote
As weird as it probably sounds, I was expecting Sayu's situation to be worse. It seems almost disappointingly ordinary: a personal tragedy mixed with parental neglect (her mother struck me as the overstressed type who tries so hard to succeed at life, she doesn't notice it's not worth it anymore, at least as far as her family is concerned). Meanwhile, her brother means well, but should probably have kept a closer eye on her instead of letting her go with a big lump of cash like that.

But I guess that's just it: as Sayu herself says, letting the situation devolve to the point where she was using her body to keep running away was simply stupid, if not unimaginable given the circumstances.
What does she need the week for though? To me the best course of action, instead of "thinking about things" for days, seems to be to meet with her mother, preferably on "neutral ground", and try to hash things out. If that fails, well, that would be a bigger problem, but she can cross that bridge when (and if) she gets there.
b-dragon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Danu06 wrote:

Agree, it felt like he was waiting for the moment her money ran out and return home.
Brother isnt a heartless bastard, but he put his business first.

I kinda disagree actually. I think brother was doing his best in a situation he is completely out of his depth in. He gives her money, makes her promise to stay in a hotel, and asks her to call if she gets into a dangerous situation. Yes, he lets her go, but I don't think he'd have done anything other than alienate her further if he tried to force something on her. As a parent, thats sometimes unavoidable. But he's not her dad, so the perspective is different. I'm not sure he'd see another option. I'd theorize he had that money laying around for whenever a blowup happened- it sounds as though Sayu and her mother were due for one eventually, even before the suicide- and couldn't come up with a good plan to resolve the situation. So, he defaulted to the plan he had. Then, of course, she ditches the phone and he can't get in touch with her to do anything else.

Mother on the other hand...baggage from prior employment on my end, but she can rot. You can tell Brother is trying to be peacekeeper, but is having a helluva hard time defending her actions and motives. This show being what it is, I'm sure she has her good points, buried in the rest of her muck and filth.

Something I'm missing in the whole circumstance is detail. How long has she been missing (3-4ish months?) and how far away from home is she? Its spoken of like it is somewhat distant.
Akcoll99

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:33 pm Reply with quote
b-dragon wrote:

Something I'm missing in the whole circumstance is detail. How long has she been missing (3-4ish months?) and how far away from home is she? Its spoken of like it is somewhat distant.

IIRC, Sayu said in the first episode that it had been 6 months. Also, that she's from Hokkaido, which is about 500 miles from Tokyo roughly.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:47 pm Reply with quote
The Scream Man wrote:
Key wrote:

Wait, what? Did we even watch the same show? Her brother gave her support and assistance in getting away from the house.... And instructions on what to do. (Which Sayu followed, to her credit.) He's plainly shown as having tried to contact her. (But Sayu chose not to accept the contact for whatever reason.) Then he spent his own time hunting her down... And now, he's giving her space and time - while keeping their mother in the dark.

OK, maybe he's not the greatest, but he did not "let her disappear". And when things went south he invested his time to try and fix them. He's no saint, but he is trying to respect her as a person.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:06 pm Reply with quote
I didn't think the reveal really landed like it should have. As soon as the friend was introduced and started getting bullied you could see where it was going. Bullying the friend to get at Sayu indirectly is odd, but I guess the author felt that directly being bullied wouldn't have been a strong enough motivation.

The brother's reaction was odd. You'd think he'd take her in or set her up in a hotel with his card and keep an eye on her. Just giving her money and telling her to stay in a hotel without checking in more frequently isn't exactly the best move. What hotel rents a room to a 16 year old btw??

FilthyCasual wrote:
And here I thought she just didn't towel off properly after a shower thanks to depression.

Maybe it's a "tried the only thing she could think of to feel better"-type thing.

Yeah when I watched it I thought she was crying, but thought for a second and thought it looked a bit too, let's say "viscous" as James said for that to be the case.

I also read it as a moment of trying to do something to feel anything different without any results.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 11