• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragon Quest Composer Koichi Sugiyama Passes Away at 90

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guile

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:40 pm Reply with quote
I cant believe it. Im speechless. This can't be happening. No way he's gone..
#Neothegreenland

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:39 pm Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:
that's horrible. I lost a lot of respect for Miyazaki

i don't know why posts in this site needs hours to appear, but i just wanted to say that it's not about miyazaki, it's japan in general as they tend to whitewash their hands from their imperial past.

there is a shrine iirc for all japanese soliders who lost their lives and it triggers korea and china that japan still pays tribute to ones that china and korea consider war criminals.

Last edited by #Neothegreenland on Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:34 pm Reply with quote
#Neothegreenland wrote:
...i don't know posts in this site needs hours to appear...

It was a technical issue with your new account. I've fixed the problem.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
#Neothegreenland

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Errinundra wrote:
#Neothegreenland wrote:
...i don't know posts in this site needs hours to appear...

It was a technical issue with your new account. I've fixed the problem.

Thank you.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:13 pm Reply with quote
#Neothegreenland wrote:
cookiemanstah wrote:
that's horrible. I lost a lot of respect for Miyazaki

i don't know why posts in this site needs hours to appear, but i just wanted to say that it's not about miyazaki, it's japan in general as they tend to whitewash their hands from their imperial past.

there is a shrine iirc for all japanese soliders who lost their lives and it triggers korea and china that japan still pays tribute to ones that china and korea consider war criminals.

Miyazaki did draw a short manga about German World War II tank commander Otto Carius (before he met Carius). He also created a movie, The Wind Rises, loosely based on the Japanese World War II Zero fighter's chief designer Jiro Horikoshi.

In that movie though, he does make clear his belief that Axis Forces waged the war for the wrong reasons. He has also said in a Ghibli publication when the movie opened in 2013 that Japan must confront its past and not whitewash it. He specifically said that Japan should apologize and make reparations to the "comfort women." He acknowledged the Imperial Japanese Army did "terrible things" overseas during the war.

https://www.ghibli.jp/docs/0718kenpo.pdf
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/culture/2013/10/08/general/backlash-against-miyazaki-is-generational/

These stances are polar opposites from denying the Nanking Massacre or claiming that the Imperial Japanese Army did not force women to become "comfort women."
SenpaiDuckie
ANN Community Manager

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:54 am Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
BonusStage wrote:

Politics is something that doesn't really come up much in public discussion.

That is a complete and utter lie; Japanese artists have used their art to express personal beliefs, including political ones. Shigeru Mizuki wrote a manga about his experiences during World War II, excoriating Imperial Japan, while Osamu Tezuka and Shotaro Ishinomori used their work to espouse anti-imperialist and anti-fascist beliefs. Shigesato Itoi frequently wrote anti-war ads and has a history of being arrested at anti-war protests. The Yakuza series is a look into Japan's shameful history of xenophobia, exploitation, and racism.

Seriously Japanese people, let alone artists, are not apolitical. Beat Takeshi was all over the talk show show circuit razing Japan's government for their botched Olympics that affected any and all attempts to deal with the pandemic. Protests were happening 'round the clock. Politics happen in Japan.

I think the point of BonusStage is that the non-Japanese community who consume anime and/or manga do not usually talk about the political views of the Japanese anime/manga creators. What you said is a fact -- manga and anime were used ever since pre-WWII for political campaigns; however, it is not like everyone who are into anime do research on these things. When anime/manga was exported to non-Japanese countries, Japan created two marketing strategies -- one for the Western and another for their neighboring countries. Together with their national branding, "Cool Japan", their market on Western countries was carefully and economically strategized. They did not include their political views when marketing their cultural goods at all. They were focused on being able to economically compete with the Western societies, and they did. The political views of Japanese creators will only came to light if an individual does his/her research, and that's why non-Japanese communities wouldn't really talk about it that much. And if it so happens that it did, it is best to be treated as a kind of an enlightenment Smile

We also need to take note that most of the anime/manga consumers are pre-teens/teens. They do not have an interest with such heavy topic. If they do, then awesome for them!
BonusStage

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:15 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
That is a complete and utter lie; Japanese artists have used their art to express personal beliefs, including political ones. Shigeru Mizuki wrote a manga about his experiences during World War II, excoriating Imperial Japan, while Osamu Tezuka and Shotaro Ishinomori used their work to espouse anti-imperialist and anti-fascist beliefs. Shigesato Itoi frequently wrote anti-war ads and has a history of being arrested at anti-war protests. The Yakuza series is a look into Japan's shameful history of xenophobia, exploitation, and racism.

Seriously Japanese people, let alone artists, are not apolitical. Beat Takeshi was all over the talk show show circuit razing Japan's government for their botched Olympics that affected any and all attempts to deal with the pandemic. Protests were happening 'round the clock. Politics happen in Japan.

Being against war or fascism is not a political statement. Nobody reads a story like Lord of the Rings and says Sauron was in the right and the Freefolk of Middle Earth were being stubborn and should have let themselves be subjugated by the evil overlord. They're all universally agreed upon bad things. When I say politics I mean actual politics. Pressuring people to reveal how they voted or what their beliefs are, and then ostracizing them if they're different from yours. Of course creators get publicly involved in some politics. It's almost unanimous every creator will stand up against bills that would threaten freedom of expression for manga and anime, but that's different. Despite all his views, Sugiyama was never made a martyr like someone like J.K Rowling was. Nobody talked or cared about his politics or let them affect the conversation or business relationship with him. It was his opinion and the professional thing to do was to let him have it That's a very night and day difference in attitudes compared to someone like DaBaby who was dropped by multiple venues, stations, groups, and music peers for the comments he made about gay people a few months ago. As far as I'm aware no venue ever took issue with playing Sugiyama's music or having him conduct their orchestra, let alone doing collaborations and working with him.

Gem-Bug wrote:
At the time, he was criticizing/speaking against former PM Shinzo Abe, and his right-wing "Liberal Democratic"(I know) party:
animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2019-07-16/yu-gi-oh-creator-kazuki-takahashi-apologizes-for-political-statements/.149055 He also apologized for using his characters as political props.

Trying to equate him to Sugiyama is pretty silly, and most of your comments seem to boil down to "But THIS other person was ALSO bad, so it's ok, really!". Confused

I'm not trying to exonerate Sugiyama by pointing out other people have similar views, I'm saying that if someone is concerned that their financial support of a series would lead to direct or indirect support for beliefs and causes they don't like then it's a futile struggle because it almost certainly always will, regardless if they're aware of it or not. I mean, even with Sugiyama gone any money spent on the Dragon Quest franchise will still go to everyone there who were at the very least completely fine with and had no issue employing someone with his views.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:09 pm Reply with quote
BonusStage wrote:
Being against war or fascism is not a political statement. Nobody reads a story like Lord of the Rings and says Sauron was in the right and the Freefolk of Middle Earth were being stubborn and should have let themselves be subjugated by the evil overlord. They're all universally agreed upon bad things.

Mizuki, Tezuka, Ishinomori, and Itoi's views are more nuanced than simply war and fascism are bad, and news headlines on most days unfortunately demonstrate that war and fascism are not "universally" agreed upon bad things. It is not just those topics either; as AiddonValentine noted, politcal matters that affected artists have included the Olympics, xenophobia, exploitation, and racism.

BonusStage wrote:

When I say politics I mean actual politics. Pressuring people to reveal how they voted or what their beliefs are, and then ostracizing them if they're different from yours. Of course creators get publicly involved in some politics. It's almost unanimous every creator will stand up against bills that would threaten freedom of expression for manga and anime, but that's different. Despite all his views, Sugiyama was never made a martyr like someone like J.K Rowling was. Nobody talked or cared about his politics or let them affect the conversation or business relationship with him. It was his opinion and the professional thing to do was to let him have it That's a very night and day difference in attitudes compared to someone like DaBaby who was dropped by multiple venues, stations, groups, and music peers for the comments he made about gay people a few months ago. As far as I'm aware no venue ever took issue with playing Sugiyama's music or having him conduct their orchestra, let alone doing collaborations and working with him.

To cite just some examples of politics affecting artists:
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-03-24/barefoot-gen-manga-pulled-from-izumisano-city-school-library-shelves
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-10-06/barefoot-gen-translator-speech-cancelled-at-japanese-junior-high
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-08-17/barefoot-gen-manga-removed-from-matsue-city-school-libraries
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-07-22/hiroshima-asked-to-stop-using-barefoot-gen-manga-in-schools
animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2015-10-11/political-cartoonist-retracts-controversial-syrian-refugee-image/.93930
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/culture/2019/12/17/arts/expression-stifled-safety-concerns/

Add to these the controversies and eventual resignations of several performers at the Olympic opening ceremony this year. As noted above, even someone like Miyazaki was pilloried for his political views.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:37 pm Reply with quote
BonusStage wrote:

Being against war or fascism is not a political statement.

Again, a complete and utter misunderstanding of history and politics. Fascism at one time was considered a valid political belief; Jack Kirby got threats for writing Captain America to the point where LaGuardia (a fan of Kirby's) ordered the NYPD to guard the offices. It was only when World War II and America's involvement that people officially condemned it.

Same thing with war; a lot of people to this day think war is not only needed, but even healthy to have one every once in awhile. There's been a huge debate in Japan for decades over having a standing army instead of a self-defense force. And heck, the choice not to have a political statement is in fact a political statement.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
BadNewsBlues wrote:
If someone is is making profit from their art and then using that profit to finance specific groups or ventures that profess certain ideals or causes you can’t truly separate their art from their views.

And that would be why I threw in my second paragraph.

So basically we both acknowledge you can't separate Sugiyama's views from his art then as he leveraged and exploited his celebrity which is owed to his art to publicize certain views?
Saiphaz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:05 pm Reply with quote
I didn't know he also composed for Rayearth, which has one of my all time favorite soundtracks. I'm sad of hearing of his passing away. Hope he's at peace now.
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Saiphaz wrote:
I didn't know he also composed for Rayearth, which has one of my all time favorite soundtracks.

He's credited as Supervisor but the actual composer was Hayato Matsuo.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6