• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: AI: The Somnium Files Creator Has Some Profound Thoughts on Gender Identity

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:03 am Reply with quote
shabu shabu wrote:
I do find Uchikochi-san's comments of Japanese media will one day be filled with trans and non-binary characters and it won't be seen as strange anymore to be farfetched

What Uchikoshi said: Someday many characters with NB or various gender identities will appear in games or others as a natural normal thing. At that time those who saw that tweet will wonder "Why so many Likes on such an obvious reply?" I really hope such a peaceful future will come to the world asap.

He didn't say "Japanese media" or "filled with". He expressing a positive hope for LGBTQ people in the future. That when they appear it will be a non-issue. You've essentially countered that with "they will continue to be treated as strange bc Mamoru Oshii spoke out about political correctness". You're conflating two things and extrapolating it as a wider trend. We don't know what will happen but hoping gender identities are commonly accepted in the future doesn't really need countered. Adding "filled with" implies "replacement," which was not said at all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NeoBasch

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:47 pm Reply with quote
I was surprised to see what seems to be a non-binary or genderqueer character in the new game I started, Alice Fiction. Eurystheus goes by they/them and uses we and us. The character is based off a mythological character, so I'm not sure if the pronoun uses are for a genderqueer spin on the character, or if it is done as a reference to some element of the character's mythological history. But if it is genderqueer representation, I thought it was pretty cool of them to do that.

Last edited by NeoBasch on Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:27 am; edited 1 time in total
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:20 pm Reply with quote
shabu shabu wrote:
Just to clarify, I do not know how invested Uchikochi-san is in Western politics or media, nor am I attempting to say he is or is not "pandering to the west". But those types of comments are not exlusive to the English speaking fandom. There has been an increase in Japanese creators and fans voicing their frustrations about this subject for years now and they also all bring up the West as being the source of the problem. Oshii Mamoru did a recent interview where he talked about his distaste for modern Hollywood and video games and said porikore (a Japanese slang that means political correctness) is the main reason why they are all so bad these days and mostly unwatchable and unplayable. I feel I have seen many Japanese fans and creators express views that align with Oshii-san. I do find Uchikochi-san's comments of Japanese media will one day be filled with trans and non-binary characters and it won't be seen as strange anymore to be farfetched as more and more Japanese creators are starting to speak out in opposition to those ideas being forced upon them but we will have to wait and see what fate awaits the media landscape for the time being..

It is not political correctness that is making everything bland unwatchable; it's capitalism. Movie studios are increasingly unwilling to take risks, not just in how they portray race and gender but in everything. Instead of new, interesting content being produced, studios are only willing to invest in big tentpole franchises dominated by CG like Marvel, Jurassic Park, and so on. With Discovery+ taking over Warner Media, things are only likely to get worse, as the CEO has stated that he plans to create data-driven content, rather than finding stories that are worth being told. Or do you think stories about marginalized groups, about women and LGBTQ+ people and BIPOC are inherently less interesting?

The same issue is happening in anime as well -- do you really think the industry there is any less bland, when every season there's a half-dozen isekai that just reiterate the same tropes because studios know they will sell, whereas more unique and interesting stories will likely do poorly?

In fact, I would say that Uchikoshi's games are the opposite of the problem. Yes, they express explicit support for the LGBTQ community. They are also strange and quirky, rife with ideas, characters, gameplay mechanics, and storylines that you can't easily find elsewhere. They're also fun and engaging! You can't blame political correctness, either, since Uchikoshi's protagonists are usually horny men and there's always at least one female character with most of her breasts showing. And yet, people won't play them. Why? Because they're all the things listed. Time and again, it's been shown that when you treat the arts strictly as a money-making endeavor, without giving room to genuine creative, things become bland and boring. That's capitalism, not political correctness.
LadroAnima

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:26 am Reply with quote
all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:
Or do you think stories about marginalized groups, about women and LGBTQ+ people and BIPOC are inherently less interesting?

Hm... If you are not part of those groups than I do think people can find it hard to relate to or be invested in those stories if they focus a lot on those specific things. I hope that's okay to say. A movie like Minari being passed over by the mainstream made sense since it specifically deals with the very specific topic Korean-Americans in the 1980s. Trying to sell that to the average American was hard. Trying to sell it to an international audience even tougher. But everyone likes dinosaurs and superheros so most people can enjoy a simple popcorn flick with some cool action scenes. Most anime is the same. You don't need to be Japanese to appreciate the cool fights and stories in most isekai anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6