• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: My Hero Academia Season 6

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 3:21 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
Gem-Bug wrote:

I've never felt comfortable with Eri giving Mirio his powers back. How is it different for this organization(who has adopted her) to use a six-year-old's power for their own gain compared to Overhaul's? That she chose to do it herself? It's always felt weird, especially in an arc that is spending a lot of time questioning the ethics and morality of this super-cop society.

There are several differences that come to mind, the most important being that Eri wasn't tortured or maimed to accomplish it. There's also the fact that she sees Mirio as a friend and wants to help him, and this is another way for her to use her power to help people so she won't see her Quirk as a curse. I imagine she also feels guilty that it was her power that de-powered him and that it happened while he was protecting her, so helping him would go a long way in her own recovery.

These are all valid points; I guess I wasn't thinking very deeply on the "Giving Mirio back what my power took" angle, but that specific instance is the most suitable of all. And besides that, they haven't even suggested using her power for anything else, I suppose.
flamemasterelan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:
These are all valid points; I guess I wasn't thinking very deeply on the "Giving Mirio back what my power took" angle, but that specific instance is the most suitable of all. And besides that, they haven't even suggested using her power for anything else, I suppose.

It's also a huge point of her character arc. Eri killed her father and was abandoned by her mother because she couldn't control her quirk. Chisaki used her quirk in his attempt to rebuild the yakuza and hurt and killed countless people to keep her in line. Her quirk was used to destroy Mirio's future as a hero because he tried to rescue her. Her entire arc is about recovering from that trauma, and learning to control her quirk and turn it into something positive is central to that arc. The potential that Eri could grow up and learn to restore things that even Recovery Girl is incapable of healing is probably the best possible ending for someone with her history, and this is the first real step towards that.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Oh, so that's where the KKK wannabes scene from the beginning of My Villain Academia went to.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
Oh, so that's where the KKK wannabes scene from the beginning of My Villain Academia went to.

I didn't watch last season so I didn't even know they cut it.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:
Minos_Kurumada wrote:

The anime added a filler that was half movie link and half beach episode because HeroAca doesn't have one and I am quite sure that's against the law so, no choice.

With that episode in the way there were some cuts like this scene.
flamemasterelan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
Gem-Bug wrote:
Minos_Kurumada wrote:

The anime added a filler that was half movie link and half beach episode because HeroAca doesn't have one and I am quite sure that's against the law so, no choice.

With that episode in the way there were some cuts like this scene.

It's also a continued adjustment of Horikoshi's shortcomings when it comes to focusing on characters outside of the three main heroes. We've been doing this since Season 2 extended the Sports Festival and added an episode devoted to expanding upon Froppy's offhand comment about dealing with smugglers. I'd say the problem is less the movie tie-in and more the re-introduction episode they put in front of every season until this one. At the very least, it wasn't as bad as when they stopped at the climax of the License Exam to give us a one-off for the Two Heroes movie.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:57 pm Reply with quote
The recap was such a waste, jeez.
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:04 pm Reply with quote
If I were a hero in this situation, I'd definitely be like that one guy who wants to find a new line of work. Tho I'll give it to him, he probably wants to quit because seeing so much death and destruction has left him devastated. I'd probably be like, "This is too much work. I'm out" Laughing

But on a serious note, that scene worked really well. You could really feel the hopelessness all throughout the episode.

Although I'm not sure how I feel about the Re-Destro scene at the beginning. How stupid do they have to be to let the head of the Hero Association be present at Re-Destro's ambush? Of course the guy wasn't gonna go down without a fight.
meruru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:25 pm Reply with quote
TFW you're dismayed there's an unexpected break, so then you wait all week anticipating the next episode... And it's recap. =(
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:57 pm Reply with quote
flamemasterelan wrote:
....The potential that Eri could grow up and learn to restore things that even Recovery Girl is incapable of healing is probably the best possible ending for someone with her history...
And you can bet that will come in conveniently handy and timely when Deku comes in with injuries to his arms that Recovery Girl warned would end his career. He might wind up better than new...
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:24 am Reply with quote
Everlasting Coconut wrote:
If I were a hero in this situation, I'd definitely be like that one guy who wants to find a new line of work. Tho I'll give it to him, he probably wants to quit because seeing so much death and destruction has left him devastated. I'd probably be like, "This is too much work. I'm out" Laughing

But on a serious note, that scene worked really well. You could really feel the hopelessness all throughout the episode.

Although I'm not sure how I feel about the Re-Destro scene at the beginning. How stupid do they have to be to let the head of the Hero Association be present at Re-Destro's ambush? Of course the guy wasn't gonna go down without a fight.

I could see either one happening. Some would be so demoralized with how badly things went that they would feel helpless and quit. I could also see some that might also quit because things escalated pretty fast to the point where the villains can level cities and kill a bunch of heroes before they realize it. If you're a pro who was mostly stopping petty crimes until then, being at risk just because you're touching the ground in Tomura's vicinity is a big ask.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:05 am Reply with quote
I said back when All For One was first imprisoned that they should have executed him, after all if he ever got out again who would recapture him now that All Might had lost all his power. And if not then, then at least after Shigaraki was reawakened they would have thought "So this guy who who has this extremely dangerous quirk and a small army of very deadly individuals is loose and more than likely going to attempt a breakout of his master as soon as possible.... Maybe we should get a step ahead and execute him now before the inevitable happens".

If after all that it's still not possible, then they should have at the very least killed all the high level criminals the moment the siege took place, I mean how stupidly incompetent can you be.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:51 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I said back when All For One was first imprisoned that they should have executed him, after all if he ever got out again who would recapture him now that All Might had lost all his power. And if not then, then at least after Shigaraki was reawakened they would have thought "So this guy who who has this extremely dangerous quirk and a small army of very deadly individuals is loose and more than likely going to attempt a breakout of his master as soon as possible.... Maybe we should get a step ahead and execute him now before the inevitable happens".

If after all that it's still not possible, then they should have at the very least killed all the high level criminals the moment the siege took place, I mean how stupidly incompetent can you be.

Even though it took action from both inside and outside Tartarus to perform the jail break, having all of your cells and security systems vulnerable to EMPs when multiple electric-based quirks exist in the world seems really [expletive] stupid. Like the cell doors should at least also have manual bolts/keys.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:38 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:

Japan has dead penalty, most probably they were going to execute him but that takes time, you know, trials, appeals, etc.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Fun fact: Briareos and Gyges are 2 of the 3 Tartarus guards in Greek Mythology, which make me realice that the Japanese government went out of his way to get 3 hero brothers and make them change their names just to go with the theme.

But only found 2 willing to do it and ran with it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9