• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anairis Quiñones to No Longer Voice Yoruichi in Bleach: Thousand-Year Blood War Anime's Englis

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 12:17 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Lynzee wrote:
Another part of simply being Black or a PoC is people hypothesizing you were cast for no reason other than your skin color.

I think I was trying to explain this to someone before. I remember the backlash with the Nagatoro cast announcement Crying or Very sad

Quote:
Willingly retiring and being forced out of a role are two completely different scenarios.

Ultimately again, it doesn't mean that you're guaranteed to be in a specific role forever. That's part of the casting process whether it's voice, live action, or even musical. I'm unsure what you mean by "forced out.

Tiny Toons had a reboot recently and none of the original cast is in the show, but the original actors are indeed still breathing. The Digimon reboot is going to have a new lead cast. Were there any big backlash regarding those?

I only brought up Martinet because he is iconic and whether it was agreed to or not, it was a change that many fans did not expect to happen.

But it does give me pause regarding how fans could be used to influence specific casting decisions (positive or negative).

Quote:
I say while Lee's comments were snide, we've seen VAs act WAY worse on social media so I don't see the big deal comparatively.

If you don't see the big deal in this, cool. I've also seen other VOs in controversial situations in which their words bit them back. I'm just explicitly talking about this situation.

Last edited by tygerchickchibi on Thu Oct 26, 2023 12:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
Richmyster84

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Anime_Dawn wrote:
Or...they wanted to try something different with a character and a POC got the role.

Assuming it was race based only helps perpetuate the problem and again...slap in the face of their talent. Everyone auditioned and got a part.

As for why she didn't get an out pouring of sympathy...she never posted about it. From the outside looking in, it looks like she was on board. Beyond that, if we add in all the stories that came out after this outburst, and also how most of the VA responses honestly sounded afraid of her retaliating towards them...she's not really ingratiated herself to anyone.

And the only source for why this happened is rather biased and I question it tbh. A scheduling error doesn't explain a month of work nor the time it takes to record. Especially questionable when Lee was already involved in the production.

Wanting to "try something different" with the ONE character that just so happens to be a POC character voiced by a white VA on the same show that already trending from a recast of a POC character originally voiced by a white VA while leaving the rest of the main cast them same? Come on...
malvarez1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 12:46 pm Reply with quote
But as was already mentioned, other characters have also been recast, like Ukitake…

[EDIT: Please try not to excessively quote. Thank you. -TK]
Richmyster84

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Which is why I specified "main cast". Ukitake's barely in the original series run and his VA looks to be busy with Critical Role. O'brien hasn't even been in an anime since 2020. He's probably union as well seeing as how he lives in LA.

GoingOnAnOoting

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:29 pm Reply with quote
malvarez1 wrote:
But as was already mentioned, other characters have also been recast, like Ukitake…

People keep whatabouting the other recasts when none of them have the same circumstances as Yoruichi. No one else has been recast whilst still doing other characters in the anime. Lee is still Tatsuki and Menoly.

zekro94

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:36 pm Reply with quote
This is why I think the industry should learn from the japanese VA scene, where if you have that role, unless you die or do some stupid things like cheating (tatsuhisa suzuki in mao gakuin futekigosha) you go back to it easily.

I feel that america VA scene is toxic in a way, like the only black people should voice black characters and things like that. It shouldn't be like this, no VA should step down the role because he's not a PoC, we have Persona 3 Reload with new voice cast and Junpei is voiced by a Poc. He sounds great, not because he is PoC, so people shouldn't be denied a role based on race, gender or other things. I'm still upset after what they did in the simpsons with carl, dr hubbert and apu
malvarez1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:57 pm Reply with quote
That Studiopolis comment is so odd. How does that kind of mix-up happen?

They could’ve cast Anairis as Yoruichi’s sibling, in hindsight.
Anime_Dawn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:09 pm Reply with quote
GoingOnAnOoting wrote:
People keep whatabouting the other recasts when none of them have the same circumstances as Yoruichi. No one else has been recast whilst still doing other characters in the anime. Lee is still Tatsuki and Menoly.

Conversely...she was already doing other characters and they wanted to have variety in the voices...

zekro94 wrote:
This is why I think the industry should learn from the japanese VA scene, where if you have that role, unless you die or do some stupid things like cheating (tatsuhisa suzuki in mao gakuin futekigosha) you go back to it easily.

I feel that america VA scene is toxic in a way, like the only black people should voice black characters and things like that. It shouldn't be like this, no VA should step down the role because he's not a PoC, we have Persona 3 Reload with new voice cast and Junpei is voiced by a Poc. He sounds great, not because he is PoC, so people shouldn't be denied a role based on race, gender or other things. I'm still upset after what they did in the simpsons with carl, dr hubbert and apu

I mean the flaw in this thinking is that life and business doesn't work that way. Including availability, location, people retiring, rightsholders changing hands so different companies dubbing things. This isn't Japan were everyone likely dubs in Tokyo.

SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:39 pm Reply with quote
*reads Studiopolis' response*

Boy, I wish I had some cheese and crackers to go with all that baloney. Confused
GoingOnAnOoting

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Anime_Dawn wrote:
Conversely...she was already doing other characters and they wanted to have variety in the voices...

I would give this theory credence if Bill Butts and Patrick Seitz were not voicing 5 different characters each in TYBW. No disrespect meant to Bill or Patrick at all though, they're both great voice actors.
Villain-chan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Anime_Dawn wrote:
I mean the flaw in this thinking is that life and business doesn't work that way. Including availability, location, people retiring, rightsholders changing hands so different companies dubbing things. This isn't Japan were everyone likely dubs in Tokyo.

A large chunk of anime is done in a single location from my understanding which is located somewhere in TX. I do not know if CR using other locations but thats the one doing the dubbing so most of anime in the US IS done in a single location. I also have to point out that during the pandemic Funimation (Now owned by Sony who also now owns CR) had the technology and means to produce anime shows and movies with VA from inside their own homes or wherever they were as this was done as a preventative measure against Covid. This is doable now even but the moment restrictions eased up to a point, most everyone stopped using the tech and companies and big wigs and such started trying to force the masses (I'm referring to not just jobs involving anime now) to "come to the studio/office" and attended meetings and other have to show up at job site even when it was completely and wholly unnecessary since they were able to do their job from home during the pandemic and there wasn't a need for them to ever have to be at their job to do said job.

So despite this not being Japan, it doesn't matter and I agree that the US and anywhere else should be following Japan's example of letting someone be the VA for a char for life as long as they are still in the business. I'm at least glad now a days they try to get someone to sound as close to the OG VA in a lot of cases, but even to this day theres plenty that sound noticeably dif or completely dif. Unless its a reboot, or the VA can't reprise the role for whatever reason, thats not ok imo. And even with reboots in most cases I'd still prefer the OG VA to reprise the role.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:52 pm Reply with quote
malvarez1 wrote:
That Studiopolis comment is so odd. How does that kind of mix-up happen?

They could’ve cast Anairis as Yoruichi’s sibling, in hindsight.

While definitely an embarrassing oversight, I can believe it happened, though I don't know enough about Studiopolis' workflow and communications to be certain. This is a project with a LOT of characters, many of whom were cast almost 2 decades ago. Furthermore, it's the first new anime material for the franchise in a decade.

Given the general staff rollover in the industry, I imagine there wouldn't be a huge continuity of staff between those who handled the original dub and those handling TYBW's. With so many freelancers to contact, schedule, and record with, and numerous roles already recast, I can buy that some wire got crossed and a character got put in the wrong list on a spreadsheet or document. As far as I'm aware Lee only freelances with Studiopolis, so without having somebody cross-checking everything, the initial re-cast could certainly have been an unfortunate mistake that nobody caught until after the deadline.

As for Lee's behavior, while I can understand being upset over the mistake, the way she handled was most definitely a bad look. All of her replies that got her in hot water were in replies to voice actors who were simply commiserating with Anairis over losing a role she was excited about. None of them were disparaging Lee or really expressing anything besides support for their peer/friend. That she took those as attacks she had to defend against - especially when none of them probably knew about the mistaken re-cast or the cause of its reversal - just kind of made her look like an asshole. Lee's been in this industry for decades, so one would assume she could sympathize with a fellow actress losing out on a role - especially one she'd already recorded for and announced publicly. If Lee had just explained the circumstances, said she's happy to return as Yoruichi, and wished Anairis the best, then she'd have saved herself a lot of grief.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Studiopolis’ response is pathetic. Do they really expect us to believe that excuse? The truth is, they caved to pressure from the lowest common denominator.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Haterater

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Disappointed in Lee's responses and the studio. She got what she wanted yet acted in this childish way. Seems like she still wanted the role and didn't want to give it up, not being humble like the Chad VA has been. Can't help but think of certain dogwhistling involved.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Yeah sorry, I do not believe for a second that the talent coordinator and everyone else involved in such a high-profile sequel (one they've had to do a ton of research for beforehand when it comes to contacting reprisal actors as well as finding new cast members) thought this was a brand new character. Especially when Wendee Lee was already working on other roles prior, and Anairis likely would have brought it up or inquired about taking over the role at some point in all this. She even brought up how she grew up with the Bleach dub and knew she had big shoes to fill when first cast.

Like what, did Anairis just get the email and direct herself in the booth sans director and engineer and edited her vocals in? Like come on... I get Studiopolis is trying to put some blame on themselves and take some heat off the VAs, but frankly everyone was already blaming them for this whole thing until Wendee Lee threw gasoline everywhere of her own accord.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10