• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: The Marines & FBI Will Be Exhibiting at Anime NYC

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Traptrix Lover

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Hopefully there will be some tanya, strike witches, Girls und Panzer and Full Metal Alchemist stuff set up.

A guy at the FBI booth was cosplaying Loid Forger. Saw some cosplayers at the Marines booth but I don't think they were with them officially.

all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:
I assure you, the average person is much more likely to care about military recruiters' scummy tactics than whether the feds are here to take their lolicon or fanart.

ATastySub wrote:
The average person is much more aware of how military recruiters operate than whatever bidoof’s law nonsense has been spouted in this thread.

Average person here. No, I really don't care about any of that stuff. I genuinely never see this kind of behavior outside certain circles on the internet which I tend to avoid in the first place. I get certain people might be hyper critical of the military given how the talkbacks threads and previews guides for certain shows with certain themes and topics tend to go, but I really think you guys are over-estimating the amount of people that do actually think that way, at least the kind of people who are willing to actually go to an anime convention at any rate. Everything I saw about Anime NYC was perfectly normal. Cosplayers were going up and taking photos with the Marines, Army, and FBI booths, people doing the pull-up bar challenges, everyone was having a good time with no friction. The Marines booth was right by the video game area which led to a lot of hilarious interactions between the overlap. The Hololive meet-up group ended up mingling with them at one point. No one who was actually there seemed to object or raise any concern. People just had fun.

I guess it's just anecdotal but every-time I see armed forces mentioned or around in my daily public life it's usually in a "thank you for your service" kind of way, either people holding open doors, stores giving veteran discounts and so forth.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:26 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Everything I saw about Anime NYC was perfectly normal.
I'm not sure what you were expecting to happen. Most anyone who would be opposed to their presence are not going to be at their booths and they'll be spending their valuable con time doing other things and not overturning the tables or protesting or something. Most people opposed to the military don't go around insulting individuals who served in it so I'm not sure how your anecdotes somehow prove there's not average people opposed to the military and it's only online people who are. So yeah the people who don't like them stayed away and the people who do were friendly to them. Big shock.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6