• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNtv - 2007-12-03

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Namia_the_Theif_18

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:37 am Reply with quote
personally, this is a new start for the ANN i'm realy proud of them. with everything that going on, i think that Viz will get some new anime recuits for the new year, awesome idea to open up a Japanese movie theather.

i'm glad they'll be showing APPLESEED bucz, i've been dying to see that show and not to mention i'm a sucker for mecha.
Ari-chan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:15 pm Reply with quote
I had fun watching this. It defenitly shows promise, and the opening commercial thingy made me laugh (I've been in similar situations).

There are area you can improve on though, most which have been mentioned already, but I still want to mention my personal concerns.

First off, you did fine in the lighting, but it still clashes a bit to much with the bg, you may want to either change it or find some way to bring more focus to you anchors. Also I would think standing so much like that would be uncomfortable. Get a desk in there.

I like how you use the clips from the anime series you were mentioning and the pictures as well. I think you should also try to get more shots of the achors at possibally different angles as well. This may not be any sort of feature film, but moving camera angles does help keep a person's attention for longer, and since you seem to be covering a lot in your coverages, you may want to try that.

Speaking of coverages, I would slow what you guys are saying down a bit. While I know news is supposed to give you the details of the situation, it doesn't need ALL the details. News coverage is supposed to be more like a summary. Once the summaries are done you direct the viewer to a place where they can read up on it for greater detail. Slowing your dialoge down can also help the readers keep thier attention better and also help them better understand the situatuion.

Also, loosen up, you guys are doing great, especially for a first time, but you could joke around a little, converse with each other. Spice it up, make it entertaining. The news doesn't always have to be story after story, it would be nice to get a small opinion from you anchors every now and then. That way you become more like a friend to the viewers rather then just some guy reading ANN on camera.

Also outfits. I like the casual look, but even casual on TV needs to able to say something. Try playing around with style a little more. You don't need to look like you're going to a business meeting, but you shouldn't look like you didn't just role on in with whatever came out of your closet that day. While your both very nice-looking, your looking to normal. It doesn't need to be fashion show extravagent, but it should be at least semi-formal-casual attire. Oh I just thought of something, why not cosplay every now and then? That would be fun to watch. My old high school had a day like that, and that the only time anyone really cared to watch.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:14 pm Reply with quote
That was pretty good, for a first episode and I only expect it to get better over time. I did find the background behind the hosts to be rather distracting though, although I did get used to it as the episode progressed.

Keep up the good work.

PS: I loved the "commercial" at the beginning. Hilarious. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:02 am Reply with quote
The commercial in the beginning had me worried since it reminded me of that awful Anime TV (the one with Johny Boesch hosting) show. Was that show canceled already? I can't seem to find it listed on my cable anymore.

Thank you so much for finding anchors who can pronounce Japanese words and names. I just watched the trailer for Wallflower (on the Air movie DVD) and the VO starts off with mentioning four bishounen (he pronounces it Bi-) which made me wonder if it was an intentional joke on the characters' sexuality. Sadly enough I suspect it was just a hired actor that had no idea about anime or Japanese reading his lines as typed on a card.

Although I thought it was a nice first episode I don't see any real advantage that the visuals presented over the text I usually read. More images would work in favor of a video. I think it would also be useful for interviews and special features instead of quick news articles. I miss the days where ANN tried to interview people in the industry on a regular basis.
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:42 am Reply with quote
Hey, you know, that was a real strong first crack at it. I think once your hosts relax JUST a bit you'll be on top of things like pros.

Also... I hate to say this, but I did shout "What's up Screech?!!?" when I saw homedude appear on my monitor. Not a knock, just sayin' I did it.
Arcwave

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:15 am Reply with quote
Nice work guys! Especially for your first show. The stories and dialogue flowed pretty well. Keep it up!

Oh! If you guys ever need any assistance with camera coverage in the Seattle area, let me know! I shoot on an HDV format and progressive scan MiniDV setup along with a non-linear editing program and audio composition software. Cool

Best,
Jesse
tricofilms.com
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:11 pm Reply with quote
I liked it well enough, definitely a good watch.
tsukikage

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Well, I definitely like the simplicity and relative professionalism of it. I also thought that maybe it might be nice to have them sitting down, but in the end I guess that would feel a bit corny... So, in general I like it.
However, I'm not sure that video is necessarily the best format for this sort of thing. I know anime audio podcasts are rather prolific these days, but with most of the pertinent graphics being shown being just logos, my eyes really didn't pay much attention. Plus, I think you could easily carry over the uniqueness of your professionalism into audio format.
In any case, I'll definitely continue to check this out.

[EDIT: I'm also quite grateful that your news reporters have a basic understanding of Japanese pronounciation. Anime smile;]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Hikori

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:06 pm Reply with quote
This was the SMARTEST idea i saw! Making a Show! Omg Thank GOD! U people ARE GENIUS! Keep On the Update! Im Looking Forward for Your Show! Anime smile

-Hikori
animebrainyanic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:07 am Reply with quote
Good and splendid guys!
Nice! Most likely a PV for a new stream, I'm not on text but usually I'm on too streaming media to entertain myself! Good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Namia_the_Theif_18

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:52 am Reply with quote
to be quite honest i hope they show more and more anime and japa movies because that would be great to the industry
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6