• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Garbage - Dubbed Songs FROM HELL!!!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seif

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:59 am Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:

Has ANYONE listened to "Oh Angel" from Fatal Fury? I have to say, the English versionwas just....Oh, a million times better than the original. >__>; Actually, the first time I listened to it, I couldn't stand it. It seems a little better than I remember, though.

Holy crap, epic 80's style ballad for the win.

videomaster21XX wrote:
Quote:
Hey, you're not alone. I also love the Sailor Moon DiC dub music. The music is one reason why I can't hate the dub despite edits and all. My favorite had to be Rainy Days.

If I ever meet you in real life, let me shake your hand! I actually can't STAND the japanese music for Sailor Moon. (Except Sailor Stars oddly enough) I so prefer the DiC music, which is why I wish I could get Sailor Moon uncut but with the DiC dub voices and music. But that's going off topic.

Man, I totally agree. Man, I totally agree. In particular, the transformation music. was freaking awesome. And English insert songs gave me chills as a kid. It made it feel so cinematic.

Man, of all the bad dubs out there, I totally forgive it.

-edit- Also, I totally had a crush on Sailor Jupiter.

Last edited by Seif on Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:30 am; edited 3 times in total
ichiro3923

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:13 am Reply with quote
Seif wrote:

-edit- Also, I totally had a crush on Sailor Jupiter.

Well, I had a crush on Sailor Venus when I was really young, and then had a crush on Sailor Mercury and Sailor Moon as I grew older Embarassed

Just to mention again, for amateur singers, these songs aren't really that bad. But the Psycho Diver rap song - that tried to sound thug and sing about how "the man" is out to get us - made me laugh.
Kenotic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:57 am Reply with quote
I remember watching the Ranma one (also one of my first episodes) way back when, and thinking that someone couldn't afford replacements for the non-singing actors. That being said, the song was wedged in (and not very good in the original) and inconsequential to anything else going on in the series. I don't think we ever see them sing in an episode again, other than a few moments here or there.

I do remember watching some of the OAV dubbed songs and thinking that the woman who voiced Kasumi (Willow Johnson) did a great job singing - was that her or someone recast? Everyone else (save English Shampoo) was rather unmemorable singing-wise, IMO.
TsubomiKoneko

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:09 am Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Hey, you're not alone. I also love the Sailor Moon DiC dub music. The music is one reason why I can't hate the dub despite edits and all. My favorite had to be Rainy Days. Smile

I think you mean 'Rainy Day Man'. That was one of my favorite songs too... I'm still at the point where I want to try to find someone who'd be willing to make a karaoke version of it for me from scratch on a keyboard or something...

My friends and I used to sing the Sailor Moon dub songs all the time before we got into Japanese music. They weren't the best substitutes... but at least they were done very well (compared to some other dub songs, obviously).
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:29 am Reply with quote
I love Washu in both English and in Japanese. That's why I'm going to forgive Kate T. Vogt for that song. But I don't EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER wanna hear her rap again.
Royal Devil

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:56 am Reply with quote
Wow, that awful.

I can understand why people would be up in arms about completely replacing the opening like what 4Kids did to their anime and the original Naruto opening, though I still have their Pokemon opening memorized.

But in most cases where they straight up translate it, it's basically the same thing to me. Like Vic's recent rendition of the One Piece opening for Funi's dub

Since we're on the subject, I loved the songs the village elder sang about Punk and Rain Spider in the Desert Punk dub. So campy and awesome.

And Ikkaku's Lucky Dance.Especially considering what he had to work with
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:32 am Reply with quote
[quote="Seif"]
tygerchickchibi wrote:

Man, I totally agree. Man, I totally agree. In particular, the transformation music. was freaking awesome. And English insert songs gave me chills as a kid. It made it feel so cinematic.

I agree, The Japanese soundtrack until Sailor Stars sounded like elevator music for me (maybe the songs are OK, but the original BGM sounds awful for me) and the US version really had a very good soundtrack (and the songs are excellent too!)
cool3865

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:34 am Reply with quote
leatherman wrote:
Top Gun wrote:
Dear Lord...someone actually sat behind a recording console and approved that?!

What I find even more frightening is that those were the best takes.

for unknown reasons i wonder what the bad ones were like...........
marklungo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:52 am Reply with quote
About Psycho Diver (which I've never seen):

1. I honestly don't think the song was that bad, especially in comparison to the others.

2. Although the English dub was never released on DVD in America, it's available on disc from England and Australia.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Seif wrote:
Fallout2man wrote:
LuckyAstei wrote:
ok I agree totally with this though you forgot the biggest offender of them all, Pioneer back when Tenchi Muyo was there biggest title the OVA and Tenchi Universe all there songs were dubbed over.

Hey! Not all of them were that bad. Anime cry The first TV series had a good opening redub.

Oh man. Tenchi. Did anyone else buy the English insert song CD? The idiocy of some of the lyrics literary sent shivers down my spine.
(shyly puts hand up) You know as soon as I read this "Talent for Love" went into a playback loop in my head. But it wasn't until I got the multi track DVD's of the OVAs did I discover that the Japanese version of that was very close to the English, dub, or vice-versa. I loved "Washu's Lullaby" and I use to sing it to my daughter when she was a baby too. It always made her giggle. I liked the cheeky Beatles Abbey Road back cover with the Tenchi characters on the zebra crossing. Good job Apple Records didn't see it though. Wink
coolGAL

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Oh My God THOSE WHERE FREAKING TERRIBLE ugh the ranma one was just pure crap the funny thing about this artical there are some actuall good dubed songs I think Funimation does a good job on most of there dub songs for there anime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
mastertr

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Just a note about the Ranma 1/2 OVA, you can still also get it, if you try hard enough, on english dubbed VHS. It was included on the VHS that had OVA 3.

I actually enjoyed the Ranma 1/2 english dub song ;x I remember singing along with it on many occasions.
rti9

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:25 pm Reply with quote
First of all, the video musical montage was great. ANN should have more articles with video.

After listening to many of the songs mentioned in this thread I was wondering who demands the dubbing of openings and endings? Is it politicians trying to preserve the national language or is it the companies trying to reach a wider audience?
1stAgent

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:46 pm Reply with quote
rti9 wrote:
First of all, the video musical montage was great. ANN should have more articles with video.

After listening to many of the songs mentioned in this thread I was wondering who demands the dubbing of openings and endings? Is it politicians trying to preserve the national language or is it the companies trying to reach a wider audience?

The latter. Also remember that most of these were several years ago when VHS tapes were dub only. It makes sense that a director would want everything in English, including the music- *especially* if a show was on TV. Nowadays it's not done much because DVDs are bilingual and having Japanese music doesn't affect anything unless it's a character singing in the middle of an episode. And even much of the anime shown on TV retains the Japanese openings.

Such crappy music dubbing is a remnant of a bygone era, and I'm so happy to see a thread discussing such classics, even in the context of its not-so-shining moments.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
foreverlov786

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:48 pm Reply with quote
I totally agree that a lot of dub song was terrible; however, i find that a lot of Cantonese dub is excellent. Not only the song, but the entire episode is perfect, and sometimes it is better than the original (japanese) verison. A nice example would be Tokyo Mew Mew (cantonese name: 東京喵喵).

I always find that english dubber shows no feeling. Unlike english dubbing company, which the actress voice is WAY beyond the original version, the cantonese actress voice are so PERFECT that it will make your mind blow! Surprised
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8