• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-01-04]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:07 am Reply with quote
omnistry wrote:
I forgot to mention the dreaded "Mai-Hime" manga; but that's maybe because a part of me wanted to forget it Anime cry.

Why? According to your own words manga will always outshine anime so why are you trying to forget about one of your precious titles? Isn't it so much better then its counterpart anime filth?
omnistry

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:33 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
omnistry wrote:
I forgot to mention the dreaded "Mai-Hime" manga; but that's maybe because a part of me wanted to forget it Anime cry.

Why? According to your own words manga will always outshine anime so why are you trying to forget about one of your precious titles? Isn't it so much better then its counterpart anime filth?

I mentioned that there were some exceptions. The "Mai-Hime" manga was borderline ecchi!
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:55 am Reply with quote
And of course those exceptions to this rule of yours are the ones you choose to be right? Wink
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:07 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Do you really need me to cite some more examples on that? Fine, then.

Media-mix projects (examples 1, 2, 3, and the last two) shouldn't count. A fair comparison should be original manga serializing in true manga magazines (thus excluding Dengeki magazines from MediaWorks).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:40 am Reply with quote
omnistry wrote:

The My-HiME anime wasn't adapted from the manga. Both versions, as well as a video game version, were developed independently and concurrently based on the same multi-media concept proposal.

I agree that the manga is best avoided though.
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:01 am Reply with quote
Delete.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
MokonaModoki

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:31 am Reply with quote
TheVok wrote:
Raoh wrote:

Irregardless

You mean 'regardless.'

'Irregardless' is its opposite.

No, irregardless isn't a word at all.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:09 pm Reply with quote
MokonaModoki wrote:
TheVok wrote:
Raoh wrote:

Irregardless

You mean 'regardless.'

You are both wrong.

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/irregardless

It is a word - though frowned upon, and they both carry the same meaning.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
omnistry wrote:
Although it is cool to see your favorite characters in motion, the storytelling in manga is almost always going to be better. Granted there are some exceptions (like "WHEN THE HELL IS TRIGUN GONNA CLIMAX?!?!?"), but in the long-run manga will always outshine the anime.

Do you really need me to cite some more examples on that? Fine, then.

1. The Le Chevalier d'Eon anime is infinitely superior to the trashy manga version.

2. The Eureka 7 anime greatly outshines the way-too-hurried approach of its manga version.

3. The Shakugan no Shana anime (at least the first season, anyway) is a distinctly richer and more rewarding experience than the manga.

4. The volumes of Fruits Basket that were animated tell that part of the story better and in a more emotionally involving fashion, even though they had to come up with their own ending. Granted, the manga goes on longer to tell more of the story, but let's compare equivalent parts here.

5. Oh! My Goddess has lost nothing going from manga to anime form, especially with the recent TV series. The same can be said for Hayate the Combat Butler, Karin, and the parts of Ai Yori Aoshi that got animated (well, okay, the latter lost a lot of its nudity, but that's it).

6. I defy someone to convince me that The Wallflower (at least based on the first few episodes) isn't much funnier and more entertaining, and at least as sincere, in its anime version as in its manga version.

And don't make me bring the crap that are the manga for Stellvia and Scrapped Princess into this!

I'm thankful that dormcat did touch upon this because this is where my argument also comes in.

When manga derives from the anime as the original source, I find the manga to be... crap.

In fact, I find most derivative works to be... lacking, regardless if it be manga to anime, or novel to film, etc.

This is why I find that 95% of the time or so, that the manga is inherently better because it is limited to the original author's intent, pacing, writing, etc. It fits better, and you will find the majority of people who do read frequently comment on how the book was better than the movie.

When it comes to anime then deriving from it... well, I'll apply the old adage here. Too many cooks spoil the broth.

I disagree with your take on the Karin anime since I found the plotline direction in the manga thus far to make more sense - I find it loses characterization, rather than gaining anything from it's different "take" In fact, I find it to be an example of where I turned to the manga and much preferred the read there.

That's not to say that there aren't exceptions out there - but that's what makes them so special - they are exceptions, and not the rule.

Now as far as the rule goes here... it's not to say that the anime can't still be an enjoyable product - so I tend to (if possible) watch the anime first, because I have frequently been dissapointed the other way around.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
v1cious wrote:
sorry Zac, but i'd have to say you're wrong on the first one. there really is a pattern, and any person who has watched anime long enough can tell what shows are fit to each company.

Really? Care to make some attempt to actually prove that with multiple examples that prove there are definite patterns based on show genre?

There's no hard rule, but I really don't expect to see the crazy humor like Papuwa from anyone other than ADV. ADV also favors girl-heavy titles & jiggle. They don't seem fond of actual yaoi or much past slashable like DNAngel or Saiyuki.

I pretty much expect my yaoi from MediaBlasters

Geneon was good for horror like Hellsing, Requiem From the Darkness. Ayakashi Samurai Horror Tales. Most of its fans felt it had some quality titles. No one expects the shojo harem titles to be picked up by anyone now they're gone.

Bandai leans more sci-fi

Funi was stuck in the shonen titles-DBZ, their desire to license One Piece when 4Kids landed it. They've moved away from it & are actually in position they can probably get whatever they want to put out & that seems to be major eye to profit. They're flirting with shojo, but it's the big titles that will likely do well.
TheVok

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Godaistudios wrote:
MokonaModoki wrote:
TheVok wrote:
Raoh wrote:

Irregardless

You mean 'regardless.'

You are both wrong.

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/irregardless

It is a word - though frowned upon, and they both carry the same meaning.

And that very page says: "Use regardless instead."
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:19 am Reply with quote
Early Maison Ikkoku and Kimagure Orange Road manga looked really horrible. Akemi Takada's character designs in the anime versions were a welcome improvement.
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:07 am Reply with quote
Answerman wrote:
I don't answer a lot of manga questions because I don't get a lot of manga questions. That fandom is much more active in the mainstream retail sector and a lot less likely to send in questions to someone like me.

I thought the reason for this was because this is the Anime News Network and not the Manga News Network.
hentai4me

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:15 am Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
Zac wrote:
v1cious wrote:
sorry Zac, but i'd have to say you're wrong on the first one. there really is a pattern, and any person who has watched anime long enough can tell what shows are fit to each company.

Really? Care to make some attempt to actually prove that with multiple examples that prove there are definite patterns based on show genre?

There's no hard rule, but I really don't expect to see the crazy humor like Papuwa from anyone other than ADV. ADV also favors girl-heavy titles & jiggle. They don't seem fond of actual yaoi or much past slashable like DNAngel or Saiyuki.

I pretty much expect my yaoi from MediaBlasters

Geneon was good for horror like Hellsing, Requiem From the Darkness. Ayakashi Samurai Horror Tales. Most of its fans felt it had some quality titles. No one expects the shojo harem titles to be picked up by anyone now they're gone.

Bandai leans more sci-fi

Funi was stuck in the shonen titles-DBZ, their desire to license One Piece when 4Kids landed it. They've moved away from it & are actually in position they can probably get whatever they want to put out & that seems to be major eye to profit. They're flirting with shojo, but it's the big titles that will likely do well.

Can you present a listing of the titles that Bandai (for example) has licensed and show that this trend plays out? Or is it jst that the sci-fi titles you have bought have mainly been Bandai ones? Can you similarly show listings of other anime companies to show that they lack, in comparison, in the sci-fi section.

While I'm sure that as far as you know you are correct, we don't know how far you know (er..) though so you'll need to present some kind of tangible information to assess.

Hell we could go statistical and run the t-test on it for kicks.
t = |x1 – x2|/ ((σ1^2/n) + (σ2^2/n))^1/2

Or not...

(actually that would be stupid, we'd lack numerical values for the t-test to work anyway.)
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Godaistudios wrote:
When manga derives from the anime as the original source, I find the manga to be... crap.

In fact, I find most derivative works to be... lacking, regardless if it be manga to anime, or novel to film, etc.

This is why I find that 95% of the time or so, that the manga is inherently better because it is limited to the original author's intent, pacing, writing, etc. It fits better, and you will find the majority of people who do read frequently comment on how the book was better than the movie.

I have much less of a problem with it being cast as a "the original source is usually the better one" argument, and am glad to see acknowledgments that "mixed media" productions and manga-second productions are at least as often worse than the anime as people say about anime versions of manga series. The poster I was responding to wasn't doing that.

Still think that too many people give too much weight to the value of the "creator's original intent" when judging the relative quality of a secondary production, though. That makes the assumption that the original creator is almost always right or using the content in the best possible way, and across all media I have not found that to be the case anywhere near 95% of the time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9