• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - It's Kind of a FUNi Story

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ljaesch

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:41 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed this week's podcast, and that both Lance and Adam were great guests.

If I hadn't been so busy earlier in the week and had actually seen the call out for questions on Twitter, I actually would have sent one in. I guess I can post it in here, since it seems that Lance has been watching this thread.

I have a question in regards to the two Dragon Ball Z TV specials, The History of Trunks and Bardock, The Father of Goku. Neither of these specials were included in the Dragon Boxes, and they also appear to not be included in the new Dragon Ball Z movie boxes that are coming out. Are there any plans to release these two specials again, and if so, would there be any chance of getting them released in the 4:3 aspect ratio instead of 16:9?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
rootsofjustice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:07 pm Reply with quote
ljaesch wrote:
I enjoyed this week's podcast, and that both Lance and Adam were great guests.

If I hadn't been so busy earlier in the week and had actually seen the call out for questions on Twitter, I actually would have sent one in. I guess I can post it in here, since it seems that Lance has been watching this thread.

I have a question in regards to the two Dragon Ball Z TV specials, The History of Trunks and Bardock, The Father of Goku. Neither of these specials were included in the Dragon Boxes, and they also appear to not be included in the new Dragon Ball Z movie boxes that are coming out. Are there any plans to release these two specials again, and if so, would there be any chance of getting them released in the 4:3 aspect ratio instead of 16:9?

If you join Zac's Twitter feed, he'll usually let people know who will be appearing on the podcast and give you a chance to get questions in.
Shame they couldn't answer my One Piece question though. To clarify to Lance if he's still reading this thread, there is only one episode in Season 4 in 480p. I don't know if that helps getting it answered, but I know the question has been rather hot in One Piece discussion boards I've seen.

Last edited by rootsofjustice on Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
ljaesch

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually on Zac's Twitter feed already. I was lamenting the fact that I was so busy over the past week with work for one my clients that I hadn't had a chance to log into Twitter in order to see the tweet and get a question in.

rootsofjustice wrote:
If you join Zac's Twitter feed, he'll usually let people know who will be appearing on the podcast and give you a chance to get questions in.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:10 am Reply with quote
I REALLY wish FUNi would get more anime on broadcast TV (aside from the FUNi Channel). I know it's not totally their fault, but the only shows they have out on TV are Dragon Ball and Fullmetal Alchemist related. We need more variety! Sgt. Frog could work on Cartoon Network slightly edited. Speaking of which, I wonder if FUNi has any plans to release season 4. Since the show is done in Japan, there's an end in sight for FUNi to shoot for!

About the S.A.V.E. thing... I recently noticed Ah! My Goddess Season 2 pop up as a S.A.V.E. title. Does that mean FUNi WON'T be saving the OVA (AnimEigo's license expired) or the Movie (Geneon's license expired)? The manga's been a hit for Dark Horse for almost two decades (based on what they said in a podcast about a year ago).

About what they said about Dr. Slump... does that mean they'll NEVER get the series... even the newer one? I know Toei's offering refurbished episodes. It's a series I wouldn't mind seeing over here. It goes with Dragon Ball really well. At least we have all the manga from Viz!

Another thing... SLAYERS MOVIES AND OVAS!!!!!
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:15 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
I REALLY wish FUNi would get more anime on broadcast TV (aside from the FUNi Channel). I know it's not totally their fault, but ...

Let's edit this a bit: we know that it is totally not their fault ~ it is totally the decision of the broadcasters. All they can do is pitch the shows ~ its the media buyer's decision whether to acquire the show or not.

If they were not dubbing their series, someone could say, "you can't expect US cable media buyers to buy a subtitled series" ~ but right now they dub each and every one of the series they pick up, so they are doing as much as they can do. The media buyers just aren't into anime in the way that they once were.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:29 pm Reply with quote
I think it's mostly the economy that's putting a hurt on it. Anime doesn't bring in as much revenue to a network as a show produced by the network itself unless it really trucks in the ratings. TV networks just don't want to risk it. Pokemon, Bakugan, and Beyblade are all co-productions BTW.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Pretty much. It's cheaper and more profitable to make a cheap Flash show you can rerun than pay licensing fees and split the profits with.

Though I highly doubt Pocket Monsters Best Wishes is being co-produced by Cartoon Network.
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:50 am Reply with quote
Very interesting to listen to, Funi is by far my favorite US anime distributor and it's awesome to see them being open to the public like this as usual.
snickersnack

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm a little late to this, so I hope there are people still visiting this forum who can answer my question. I'm still kind of confused about the Funi Elite Subscription vs. Funico and how it will affect me in the future.

Currently, the only shows I watch on Funimation.com are One Piece, and maybe one other Funi simulcast per season (sometimes less). I haven't watched anything on Funico. I also don't like to watch one episode per week, and tend to wait until I have 5-6 episodes batches before I watch them. I get the impression that I won't be able to do this in the future without subscribing to at least one of these sites? (Probably Funico.) One Piece doesn't seem to be on Funico, and I really would rather not have to subscribe to a site just to watch one show. (I know Funico is only $.25 right now, but I'm sure that will change.) But is that going to be my only option?

Regardless, this was an interesting podcast, thanks to both ANN and Funi.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:28 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Pretty much. It's cheaper and more profitable to make a cheap Flash show you can rerun than pay licensing fees and split the profits with.

Though I highly doubt Pocket Monsters Best Wishes is being co-produced by Cartoon Network.

The only shows on Cartoon Network right now that DON'T look Flash are Thundercats, Ben 10 Ultimate Alien, Young Justice, Star Wars: The Clone Wars, and maybe a couple more.

IIRC, Cartoon Network and Nintendo are co-producing Pokemon Black & White (the TV series). I know they get some of the revenue from Pokemon, Bakugan, and Beyblade since all 3 series produce a LOT of merchandise across many mediums.
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:18 pm Reply with quote
On extras, I also like animatics.

I would also really like to have a one of those DramaCD sidestories as a track to a slideshow ~ eg, studio shots taken while the DramaCD was being made, or light novel art, or etc. ~ so that it could be subtitled. That's an extra that would really swing me if I was on the fence on buying a boxset.

On the opposite side of "really swing my purchase", I like watching the Japanese ads when they are included as an extra, but I don't think I'd pay anything extra or be more willing to buy a boxset just because it had those as extras.

snickersnack wrote:
I'm a little late to this, so I hope there are people still visiting this forum who can answer my question. I'm still kind of confused about the Funi Elite Subscription vs. Funico and how it will affect me in the future.

Currently, the only shows I watch on Funimation.com are One Piece, and maybe one other Funi simulcast per season (sometimes less). I haven't watched anything on Funico. I also don't like to watch one episode per week, and tend to wait until I have 5-6 episodes batches before I watch them. I get the impression that I won't be able to do this in the future without subscribing to at least one of these sites?

This season seems to be a transitional one, since they need the subscriber early access to dub streams to get going for that split in focus they talk about to get really set into place. So its likely that its in Winter 2012 and Spring 2012 we'll get a better way how those things fall out.

I think it probably depends on whether the "one other Funi simulcast" is one of the ones that FUNimation actually licenses right away, or its one of the ones they are taking a wait and see on.

The ANNcast makes it sound like the "wait and see" niconico simulcasts might not be streamed on FUNimation unless and until they are picked up.

So if your tastes run to the things that their business models tend to look favorably on, it seems like you could probably watch the series in batches with ad streaming at Funimation.com ~ though sometimes with a delay until its closer to DVD release. There, the subscription would be to have it ad free, in higher definition, and/or earlier/longer access to dub streams.

OTOH, if your taste runs to the things that FUNimation does not end up picking up, things may go the way of those only showing up on niconico.com (and maybe later streaming via some other licensee, like Sentai23/TAN) ... for that one, a niconico subscription would be needed to watch it "a volume at a time", because they seem attached to their "first week free, back episodes for subscribers" model.
snickersnack

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for the reply, Agila61! I hadn't thought of the fact I might be able to see some series on Funimation.com once they're licensed, I'll keep that in mind. And maybe I'll start saving up for a subscription....
AnimenexuS

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:27 am Reply with quote
I hoping for Ergo Proxy re-release.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:11 am Reply with quote
I know I'm late to the party but it was sad to hear him say he wants more smart sci-fi shows while stuff like Kaiba, Real Drive, and Dennou Coil are sitting around unlicensed.
shukero

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:52 am Reply with quote
Awesome show guys! You guys should totally do these live! That would be awesome.

Also, just comments on Guilty crown; I thought it was an amazing opening, but as it goes on and on, the main character becomes more and more like eva's main character; wussy, wussy WUSSY!

Does anyone else think this way?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6