• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Geneon to Merge with Universal Pictures Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenchi Saotome

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:08 pm Reply with quote
I know that eventually it will happen (if the new company and Funimation don't come to some agrement to get out of the contract to distribute the Geneon DVD's) but I think that they will be able to continue to sell the DVD's that are all ready made that has Geneon's stuff on it based on what happened with the sale of Pioneer Entertainment to Dentsu there was a transition period for the name change. Pioneer's name was still in advertisement's for DVD's in anime mag's. Like in the Nov/Oct 2004 issue of Anime Insider on Page 9 there's an ad for Stellvia DVD's even though the DVD's say Geneon on the DVD spine they still use Pioneer's name in the ad at the bottom right [Geneon Pioneer] So people can get use to the new name.
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Finally, you understand part of my reasoning on this.

First, this deal can be seen as nothing but good news for the future of anime. Even Funimation has got to see this as well. Bandai, ADV, Funimation, AnimEigo, Media Blasters, none of these companies has the clout and resources neccessary to give anime the kind of exposure that a large entertainment studio like Universal can bring.

Secondly, by renaming the company, the new merged company will be able to distribute the Geneon catalogue under a new name brand, which I suspect that NBC Universal will heavily advertise for in the months preceding the first wave of anime titles forthcoming from the new company.

Lastly, by having an entire cable station neccessary to broadcast those anime titles, advertise for their DVD releases, NBC Universal can finally bring the anime genre the recognition it has deserved for so long and could result in more studios jumping in on the business if Universal's venture is successful.

Warner Brothers, 20th Century Fox, Sony, Paramount, we could very well see anime taking a new step toward the future by bringing more exposure and possibly more anime movies into theaters as well.

I will submit that if Universal decides to bring more exposure to the genre that it could result in good things from these studios. Matter of fact, we could see companies such as ADV Films, Media Blasters, Bandai Entertainment and so forth, becomming aligned under Hollywood studios in an effort to increase the availability of anime.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Colonel Wolfe wrote:
Tenchi, No I'm not wrong. Funimation redesigned the DVD's and the packaging to include the Funimation logo and company information. When the merger happens, Universal could require Funimation to include the new company name on the DVD packaging and either Universal and Funimation could come to terms with an expanded version of the original agreement to include the many other titles after the merger takes place and after the name change of the company.

If it's one thing that Universal can do, they can require Funimation to place the new company name and information on the DVD releases.
Only if, and it's a big IF, FUNi is still distributing a Geneon title that hasn't already been pressed and packaged on the shelf before that Feb/2009 hand over, or are you going to say that Universal will demand a product recall to make label changes to discs and covers before that time? I'm sure FUNi will be willing to do that as long as Universal is willing to pay for it in these recessionary times.
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:13 pm Reply with quote
No, I'm not saying that at all. Funimation wouldn't recall the product, and Universal couldn't force a recall (only if the product is known to be defective). However, future shipments would probably require new labeling for the packaging since Geneon would no longer be known as Geneon.

Universal wouldn't be paying for the new packaging since Universal didn't benefit from the original deal. All packaging is handled by the company distributing the merchandise.

Why would Universal pay for new packaging? First, when the merger happens in February, Universal will have a lot to decide on. It doesn't matter whether the original agreement stands or not, Funimation would be responsible for the costs associated with the repackaging. They did, after all, pay the costs themselves for the repackaging of the current Geneon releases so that Funimation's logo and company info appear on the new packaging.

Universal could require that (when the merger takes place in February) that they could require Funimation to change the packaging on the DVD releases so that it reflects the new company logo. They wouldn't be able to recall the DVD's already in stores and being shipped to distributors but they would be responsible for paying for the new costs of the new packaging, not Universal.
neothe0ne

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:57 am Reply with quote
It finally happened: Zettai Karen Children is now brought to you by GENEON UNIVERSAL ENTERTAINMENT, not Geneon.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:23 pm Reply with quote
neothe0ne wrote:
It finally happened: Zettai Karen Children is now brought to you by GENEON UNIVERSAL ENTERTAINMENT, not Geneon.

Kinda wonder what the new logo may look like in this case? Cool
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6