• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Amagami SS & SS+ (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:47 pm Reply with quote
The show had two glaring problem. The second is the very forced drama. The second is that the story just retread the initial arcs of season one, and that in most of the arcs the relationship has actually regressed several steps.

We've already had Haruka take a bath and Junichi wondering if he should peek, why did we get it again? They kissed in a hotel room with her in a towel that was fast falling off, if they didn't have sex at that time then at least they now should be past the stage where a kiss is a big deal.

We've already had Tsubasa running for a position in the school, so why did we get it again? Different position yes but same general plot. Oh, he knows her secret now, so there's that, but that just meant we had time wasted on a clichéd catty battle; groan.

We already had Sai learning to be more self-confident and Junichi supporting her in that endeavour, so why did we get it again? And heck, she was already pretty self-confident anyway after getting her job and learning to express herself. Don't forget how she seduced Junichi in the cinema.

We've already seen Kaoru and Junichi learn to be more than just friends, why did we get the exact same thing again? God, they were technically dating but were just as awkward as they were at the start of her arc back in season one.

The two arcs that were different were Rihoko's (thank goodness we got some development there) and Ai's, with Junichi trying to be a more responsible boyfriend to her. But two out of six is not exactly what most people would consider a passing score.

And of course don't forget the forced drama found its way into Rihoko and Ai's arcs too. Seriously Junichi, you got kidnapped by your cram school over Christmas? What sort of a contrived plot development is that? And Rihoko got assaulted by a guy and then spent almost the entire next episode mucking around doing very little before we finally got a hurried resolution right at the end.

Sigh.
RGaspar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:02 am Reply with quote
^ @dtm42, Well, I didn't think so highly of Season 1. So, a second season when there was basically nothing left to be said, could only lead to two things: A) Pure Ecchi ; B) A repetition of the same stuff.

As you may know already, it didn't follow the ecchi route (as I wanted when I started watching S2) Razz

So, in order to deliver the same so-so romantic comedy, they were almost forced to restart the situations. It's not a series that could follow the Clannad way and end up showing life of Junichi as an adult.

Anyway, I liked it enough to keep on watching for what it is. And the girls (and voices) are so damn cute.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Slowpokeing big time, but I finally watched this. Lately I've been complaining a lot about how romances in anime turn out, so watching this was just what I needed. They were all best girl, and they all won!

Really wish this was the standard for these shows. The appeal of a visual novel is choice, and anime that only focus on one girl's route doesn't allow for that. As this thread showed, people all have their taste in girls and would rather outright skip episodes involving ones they don't care for. Imagine if all 39 episodes had him with the girl you don't like.

I think this show does it best compared to Yosuga no Sora and Photo Kano. YnS got a bit complicated with the jumping back to different starting episodes, and Photo Kano only gave each girl one (two in Haruka's case) episode because the first 4 was the common route. With Amagami, 4 eps per girl was plenty of time that also allowed them to have scenes with the other girls that didn't eat up too much time. It lets you get to know the other heroines a bit so you're not starting completely from scratch when the next arc begins.

Haruka was a weird one. I can't help but imagine how kinky their sex life must be after that hostage-ramen thing. She was a fun enough character but not really my type. Junichi's proposal at the end of Plus was hilarious, though. It was pretty obvious Hibiki and Jessica were misleading him, but the end result was good.

Kaoru's arc was nice. I thought it developed fine. They were already close so all it took was something minor to get them to rethink their relationship. Plus shows that they still act close like they did as friends, which gets them wondering if them becoming a couple actually changed anything. Their trip was a bumpy one but worth it because they were together. They might not know how proper lovers are supposed to act, but they know what works for them.

Sae's a cutie and the sweet shy ones are definitely in my strike zone. She worked hard to overcome her shyness and succeeded... though some of those training sessions went a bit over the top. When the camera and animal costumes came out, it went into creepy territory... Plus turns things around a bit with Junichi feeling inadequate and trying to support Sae the best he can. And they lived happily ever after.

Ai is my favourite. I like slender girls who look good in a school swimsuit, and hearing Yukana talk like that doesn't happen too often. I don't know what the heck was up with that haunted house scene. It didn't have much of a story (stuff happened, but none of it was a central driving force), but I enjoyed it regardless. The Plus arc was pure sweetness.

Rihoko's was definitely one of the weaker ones. After four episodes it didn't feel like anything changed. Maybe that was intentional in order to reflect the nature of childhood friend romances? Thankfully Plus saw them actually get together, but then it just ends abruptly. I wasn't satsified until I watched the short OVA which ended better. Still, not good that it took her 6 episodes and 2 short OVAs when the other girls only needed 4.

Tsukasa's I felt was also weak, in the relationship department at least. It gets kudos for actually having a major central conflict (putting the festival together), though. I was kinda sad this was yet another show where a nice girl turns out to actually be a bitch, but I wasn't that turned off by it. However I think her demanding Junichi become hers was a bit unprompted. For his part there wasn't any focus on his falling in love with her like the other girls. They also didn't really explain why she became like that, what exactly was in her planner, and why she hates her sister so much. Plus didn't answer those questions either.

Risa is some one I can see being quite divisive. Her actions were extreme, but she's not a bad girl (funnily Ai's reaction to Risa's lie is what cemented her as my favourite). Junichi's heartbreak would have been much worse on that Christmas if she hand't intervened, and she was genuinely remorseful for lying to the other girls. I can't dislike her.

Miya is top tier imouto, though I think it best she stay as an imouto rather than be upgraded to love interest.

I found it amusing that, despite the original game being all ages, you can easily tell where an h-scene would go if it were an eroge.

So I might have overpaid for it, but I'm happy I watched it. I had a lovely time with this and I wish there was more. It also would have been nice to get 10 years later epilogues for all the girls rather than just 3.
GeminiDS85

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:43 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
I don't know what the heck was up with that haunted house scene.

In the visual novel all the girls have a scene inside the Mystery of Egypt haunted house; and some of the scenes are just flat out trippy. That being said, maybe they were included in the anime series and I’m just forgetting about it.
Quote:
Rihoko's was definitely one of the weaker ones.

I’m not really sure why the game developers even included Rihoko in the game as she always gets the worse treatment out of any of the girls. It honestly seems like the developers really didn’t like the character. For example, the game allows you to arrange a date with two of the girls at once for Christmas Eve, but right before the date you are forced to select which one you will go on a date with. The day after the date you are allowed to ditch the girl you went on a Christmas Eve date with and apologize to the girl you ditched the night before. The responses from the other girls can include anything from revenge against you to forgiveness, but no matter what you do to Rihoko during this point in the game she will always take you back.
Quote:
Risa is some one I can see being quite divisive. Her actions were extreme, but she's not a bad girl

Risa is flat out insane.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pE2frJ_lzpw&feature=youtu.be&t=3m26s
Quote:
I found it amusing that, despite the original game being all ages, you can easily tell where an h-scene would go if it were an eroge.

The game is 15+. That being said, I do understand where you are coming from.
Quote:
So I might have overpaid for it, but I'm happy I watched it. I had a lovely time with this and I wish there was more.

The game is a blast if you can understand Japanese. I think that the dialogue is fairly easy to understand, so even if you only have a flimsy grasp of Japanese, I still think you could play it with the help of an electronic dictionary.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:12 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Really wish this was the standard for these shows. The appeal of a visual novel is choice, and anime that only focus on one girl's route doesn't allow for that. As this thread showed, people all have their taste in girls and would rather outright skip episodes involving ones they don't care for. Imagine if all 39 episodes had him with the girl you don't like.

I sort of disagree. I preferred the way KimiKiss did the adaption, splitting the main character in two allowing for two love triangles.

The way Amagami SS did it seemed to me like a waste of time to anyone who has played the VN and too repetitive to someone who hasn't. I'd like the anime to do it's own thing. Have a bit more drama, suspense, love triangle and all that, with the VNs characters.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:31 am Reply with quote
No, Risa's one of my favorite anime stalkers. She's pretty persistent.

And I loved Sae's bear bit in SS+; "Adorable" doesn't even begin to describe it. Her voice to her actions to her everything, just so sweet. Plus, I loved the interactive narrator. Wow, in a romantic comedy, the arc was one.

Haruka's a pervert who's into roleplaying and there's nothing wrong with that. Nice eyes.

Tsukasa has some anger issues but she's a lot more interesting when she's flat out threatening her love interest. Fine start on a classic s/m relationship...

Kaoru, the BF w/ benefits. That's pretty much it. Nice hair.

Rihoko, the BF without benefits. The funniest part is that relationship didn't make sense to them either. Every time he thinks of sex, she thinks of food. Every time she thinks of sex, he thinks of...

How did that go nowhere? I liked her but she was the "always there girl" in every scenario, including her own. Also, I liked the tea club members ... who appeared in another series but I forget which one.

Ai, flat as the diving board of her pool. Nice butt. Her segment had the trippy haunted house bit. AS she was in the all girls swim club, the relationship was forced; "Hey, I know you from my sister." "Hey, let's make time together." "Hey, I like you. You need to spend less time on practice and more time on me."

... I'm not changing that. And I have to say that giving the swim club captain regular eyes make her freaking scary.

The only reason Kimikiss worked out well with that two couple scenario is that the best/most interesting girl won. In Amagami, the girls are a lot more diverse; In Kimikiss, they seemed to alternate between defining the girl solely based on her relationship with the guy or having feelings and a mind of her own. Hey, guess how it played out?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7