• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2006-10-06]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoshuaStChristopher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Steroid wrote:
How do you measure that effect? Physical damage is something that can be objectively measured, but emotional effects can be determined in part by the person effected. Cut anyone in the world and they bleed, but insult them and they might laugh it off or get depressed, and with training a person can develop a thick skin against insults. And if you hold up emotional distress as a standard of damage, then how do you discourage faking? No one would willingly walk into a knife to get the other person punished for assault, but many would fake emotional pain to have the other person punished for inflicting.

But according to Dragonball Z, if you do like a thousand sit ups, you can get punched in the neck and be fine.
So your arguments hold no water
Steroid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:22 pm Reply with quote
JoshuaStChristopher wrote:
But according to Dragonball Z, if you do like a thousand sit ups, you can get punched in the neck and be fine.
So your arguments hold no water

I actually considered, while writing that, what would happen if someone could make themselves impervious to physical damage. And if it were possible, assaulting them would not really be an offence. Attempting to beat up Superman is stupid, but I would contend not criminal.
JoshuaStChristopher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Steroid wrote:
I actually considered, while writing that, what would happen if someone could make themselves impervious to physical damage. And if it were possible, assaulting them would not really be an offence. Attempting to beat up Superman is stupid, but I would contend not criminal.

Just trying to lighten the mood, yo. It's always so tense in here. Sad
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7