• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tales Of The Industry - They Shoot Their Hostages, Don't They?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thenix

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:43 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
So far these articles are timing very well with episodes of Shirobako in that the fanficiton accusations are not entirely off-base.

I guess I'm not really following the "fanfiction" accusation logic.

The names are changed, the stories are real. They're dictated to Justin by his colleagues in the industry. How is that "fanfiction"?

I feel like people are mad that they dont know the show so they are saying its fake
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:00 am Reply with quote
I'm sorry, but what the hell difference does it make what show it was?
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:33 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:

I don't know, and I think Zac summed it up pretty well, people might want to know but they don't need to know. This column has a lot of potential to share insight, so I'd really prefer if it wasn't shut down because people can't figure out that anonymity is going to be necessary at times.
Dark Cloud Overhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:02 am Reply with quote
Wow. Just wow. I only got one question . . . Twisted Evil

What's the difference between optic and eggshell? Neutral ~takes out some eggs from the refrigerator~ Confused They look pretty much the same color as snow to me. ~takes out "Mu-sama keychain" and pets lovingly~ Anime smile Hmm, guess it does seem a bit different from the color of pure white snow though, but who the hell would ever notice something like that if you didn't tell them about it first, let alone really care? I can't believe anyone would ever get so worked up over something so ridiculously slight . . . That's would I'd like to say at least anyway, but I've lived long enough to sadly know better I have to say. Love stories like this though. Really made me laugh. Probably will be wearing a smile for the rest of the day now. Very Happy Thanks.

Oh yeah, just got one thing left to say, and it's to the Japanese dude who wanted all of these cute little critters destroyed . . . From my cold, dead hands . . . Hissssssss! Evil or Very Mad Razz
SolidAndrew34

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:09 am Reply with quote
I don't blame people for wanting to know what the show was. I was able to track down from others elsewhere what show was being talked about. I won't say though which show it was because I do like the column and do not want anyone to lose their job. The best way to prevent people from figuring out what show would be to withhold more information. [Removed sentence] If you want to prevent this you should disquise or not mention certain information to stop the show's identity being discovered

Please don't give people hints on how to figure it out either. If they're motivated enough, they can figure it out on their own. --willag
SolidAndrew34

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Willag I apologize when I wrote that post it was not meant to help people figure out the shows identity. If I had wanted to I would have tried to give the website I read the information from which I did not do. I was merely trying to point out a better way to keep people from speculating on the show's identity from the column because too much information was given. Again I was not trying to help people to figure out the show. It was just meant to be a bit of helpful advice relating to the future of the column to prevent this sort of situation from occurring again.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:44 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
I have to admit, this is an instance where I would shove that cup at the manufacturer, pronto!

As for strict Japanese demands, I once had to print out 1600 surveys for people to fill out just to attend a free concert--and even though the concert happened two days in a row (same venue, music, etc.), the people attending *had* to fill out the survey, even if they attended the day before. Funnily enough, the surveys were no longer necessary the following year. I can only imagine that the hoops my group made the Japanese company jump through (the surveys were only required if the concerts had more than 400 attendees, which they definitely could have) was a strong motivating factor. ^^; Plus, the handwriting on those surveys was atrocious, so very little information could be obtained from them. Razz

Well, that glass's paint is only on the outside, and the arsenic was actually within FDA standards. That is, the actual level of arsenic is incredibly low. Word simply spread about those glasses having arsenic, and people got scared without understanding the full situation.

Bear in mind that stuff that people consume every day without a second thought can contain dangerous substances too. Almonds, for instance, get their flavoring from hydrogen cyanide, the exact same chemical used in suicide pills. Lobsters, as bottom feeders, contain tiny amounts of cadmium and mercury. You can't be scared of consuming poisonous things in minute quantities, or you'll starve.

And regarding filling out forms, I've worked at jobs where I have people fill out paperwork, and I know as a fact that there will be some reluctant people who value their privacy greatly and will intentionally make their handwriting as illegible as possible.

Tenchi wrote:
I think the guy made it pretty clear which era it was when he talked about how people still complain about the release of this anime nearly a decade later.

Oh yeah, the "nearly a decade later" part.

Wait, they were still doing single-disc releases in 2006-8?

Fronzel wrote:
leafy sea dragon wrote:
North America is a continent made up entirely of countries that fought their independence from their empires in violent ways, so we'd be a region of the world full of rebels.

Except for Canada (those weaklings).

Yeah, you're right. I looked it up, and the rebellions in Canada were not only a lot smaller than the other countries', but they seem mostly concentrated in Quebec. I always thought Canada had its own wars with the British Empire too.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:49 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
North America is a continent made up entirely of countries that fought their independence from their empires in violent ways, so we'd be a region of the world full of rebels.
Fronzel wrote:
Except for Canada (those weaklings).
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Yeah, you're right. I looked it up, and the rebellions in Canada were not only a lot smaller than the other countries', but they seem mostly concentrated in Quebec. I always thought Canada had its own wars with the British Empire too.
{Fixed your inline quotations for you. ~nbahn}
Yeah, we managed to find a way to become a country without a bunch of people having to die. We also managed to continue being a country without fighting a bloody civil war. We're just weird that way, I guess.
Kurama4Ever!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Warning to the editors: There are a lot of forums on different sites trying to figure out the title of the series being discussed. Just thought you should know since I'm sure this greatly violates the anonymity you are trying to achieve.
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:00 pm Reply with quote
It's okay Andrew. Just don't give specifics about what hints in the article people should be focusing on in order to figure it out themselves. It's written and modified to be ambiguous enough for people to not know for certain which details have been changed in order to remain anonymous and which details haven't. Some people may feel confident enough to know what series it is, and they could probably point out all the different hints that brought them to that conclusion, but this isn't the place to point out those hints.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kurama4Ever!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:04 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:

Maybe people want to try watching it?
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:06 pm Reply with quote
^
And at the same time, get "Brad" in hot water?
Kurama4Ever!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:11 pm Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:
^
And at the same time, get "Brad" in hot water?

Oh no I completely agree with the whole being anonymous thing. It isn't worth the risk of getting someone fired. People can definitely figure it out on their own.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Kurama4Ever! wrote:
Warning to the editors: There are a lot of forums on different sites trying to figure out the title of the series being discussed. Just thought you should know since I'm sure this greatly violates the anonymity you are trying to achieve.

Everyplace else already narrowed it down, and there's really nothing ANN can do about it. They only have the ability to keep it anonymous here because they're in control of the forums, they don't control the internet. ANN's policy extends as far as...ANN.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:44 pm Reply with quote
The other thing is that guessing who and what show this is is just that: speculation. While it'd be enough to send angry messages to people they suspect were involved in this incident, speculation has no weight in court.

In other words, no matter how much guessing takes place beyond ANN's control, and no matter how much of that guessing is correct, this story is still anonymous.

That's my interpretation of the matter anyway.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9