• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Daily Streaming Reviews Schedule: Summer 2015

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Lord Geo wrote:
covering the obvious picks & trying out titles that were mostly ignored originally.

So, just to be completely upfront here, while we aren't necessarily interested in covering the super obvious stuff - EVA, Madoka, Bebop etc - going super obscure isn't something we're interested in doing either.

Paranoia Agent strikes the perfect balance to me. In my mind, something like Fruits Basket or one of the original Slayers series or Kino's Journey would be great for this.

Oh, I understand that completely. There are a lot of factors that obviously are going to be considered here, so I wasn't expecting it to go to complete unknowns at any point (at least, not in the foreseeable future). PA & the examples you gave a fine enough examples of where the general direction is, and I'm fine with that. They're all titles that are recognizable by name, but aren't exactly as widely celebrated as your Evas, Madoka, or Bebops. I am hoping for only really good things from this initiative.

Quote:
26 articles on B't X is just going to be a money sink with very low audience interest or participation.

Obviously on that regard. If you start covering older, longer shows, however, I think Saint Seiya wouldn't be a poor choice to go with. There's lots to love about that series, but it has enough flaws in it (especially in the TV anime, mainly due to filler & slow pacing) for people to discuss about & a writer to examine & critique. It's also known to the general populace, yet not as seen by the people as other shows, though, since it only recently has become easily available via DVD & CrunchyRoll (episodes 1-73 only, but at least it's the entirety of the first major arc).
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:00 pm Reply with quote
I love the idea of Classic Reviews and Paranoia Agent is a great choice. It would be a lot of fun for me to watch my old set while following episode reviews.
whiskeyii wrote:
I'm not sure what all this hullabaloo about "encouraging piracy" is about though. A cursory glance through ebay shows a lot of region free versions popping up, both dubbed and subbed, for around $20.
Most if not all of those are going to be bootlegs and most not of very good quality. I remember reading reviews of people getting some of those maybe 3yrs ago and it wasn't pretty.

I don't mind if its a show that is OOP and I've never seen it before. I can still enjoy the review and if its overall a positive one it will make me want to hunt down copies of it.

As far as possibilities what about some OAV/OVAs? Some of them are short so they could fit into a tight schedule:

Gunbuster - Classic and there are still legit copies floating around (plenty of bootlegs on ebay too).

Gunbuster 2/Diebuster - About 6 eps. Got a re-release by Discotek and sitting between FLCL and Gurren Lagan would make for obvious comparisons.

Read or Die (OAV) - Is a fun one only 3 episodes. Used copies still available, but harder to find streaming online. The regular TV show is streaming.

FLAG - yea like others have mentioned it would probably be a good one too.

Kino's Journey - Ditto.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Looking forward to the reviews.

The classic reviews thing sounds like a great idea too.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:29 am Reply with quote
Most of the things I'd like to see are titles that would surely have gotten episodic reviews, had that been a thing five years ago.
  • Toradora
  • Love Live
  • Angel Beats
  • Penguindrum
  • Lupin the Third: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine

You'd think for a 47-year-old fan, my picks would be older stuff, but I think I'm more interested in stuff that's more recent, more relevant to current fans, and more readily available to follow along with a reviewer (much as I'd love to look at Macross with modern eyes, that ADV box came and went a decade ago, and it doesn't stream, so… no). I guess if we must have something from the early 2000s, then sure, Princess Tutu or, what the hell, Koi Kaze. Hey, Hope would love reviewing that again, right?
ShalaKairos

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:59 am Reply with quote
How about the original Jubei-Chan? It is a single cour and still a fantastic comedy.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, I haven't heard of Jubei-Chan in aaaages. I think I saw it on Anime Network on Demand, back when that was a thing. Anime hyper
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Seriously, why not Shimoneta? Beneath the dick jokes, it has the very serious topic of sexual repression and its social consequences.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Because it didn't get voted in? Not enough people are apparently interested in the series to want to see weekly reviews.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7