• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Death Note Film's Producer Responds to Whitewashing Controversy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IG

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:53 am Reply with quote
CCTakato wrote:
I find it a bit unbelievable to me they couldn't find a single Asian American actor that didn't speak "perfect English."

A Japanese actor there is not many of them
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:57 am Reply with quote
Alexis.Anagram wrote:
Gotta agree with everyone saying this is getting out of hand.

It's 2017 and production teams still can't give us better excuses for why they actively deny access and representation to people of color on a routine basis? Oi vey. Let's go through this bit by bit.

I'm not sure, but most people in the thread seem to feel the opposite, that this is an overblown issue.

And I think Masi Oka (a Japanese American mind you, and a producer of the film) did give a better excuse --- they tried to find Asian American performers to fill the roles, but couldn't find anyone with the talent or the English-speaking ability.

Quote:

Yeah OK but Japanese people also live in places that aren't Japan, like America and even *gasp* Seattle, so no.

Japan's uchi/soto culture is very strong --- to the point that they even consider people who've lived abroad to be "outsiders", to a certain extent. Even Japanese Americans can feel like foreigners in Japan, so it's not quite as simple as saying that they can live anywhere else and still be the same.

Quote:
Because, as CrowLia pointed out above me, the idea presented here is that we have to condescend to ignorant "English-speaking" (coded White) Americans who have no capacity to sympathize or identify with stories outside of their cultural comfort zone; for those of you citing white oppression and calling us racist for demanding improved representation, uh, maybe you should be pissed that Hollywood thinks y'all are too limited to comprehend the casting of an Asian lead actor?
Nope, it's definitely the idea that Asian actors should be able to get work, too. That's just ridiculous Shonen Jump Weekly posturing. White people have the most problems.

You can twist the interpretation all you'd like, but they're not going to hire a Japanese actor who can't speak English clearly, particularly for roles that require a degree of eloquence to properly portray the characterizations. Broken Engrish would be a major distraction from the production.

And tbh, while you suggest Hollywood should make these productions outside of their cultural comfort zone --- you know what would happen if they did that? They'd be accused of cultural appropriation, commenting on cultures they don't understand, filtering culture through a Western lens, etc. That they would instead focus on the universal message at the core of a story, as opposed to the cultural elements that surround it, I think is the most reasonable approach to making this sort of foreign adaptation.

Quote:

BINGO! We all know people of color are interchangeable, and if you just select an ethnic shade at random from your personal diversity palette and stick it in somewhere, you've done your part. A black actor portraying L does nothing for the Japanese-American community in terms of cultural awareness and encouraging their stories to be told, and there's no need to be apologetic about just how racist it is to use black folks as a shield against criticism surrounding ethnic authenticity in casting. That is some nasty passive-aggressive politicizing of race relations, and what's worse is Lee probably doesn't even know he's doing it: this all just comes naturally to him, like, *shrug* we have a black guy in the movie isn't that good enough for you?
Nope, no it's not, you still get an F.

The last I saw, White people make up 70% of the US demographics, and Black people about 14%. In fact, to my understanding compared to other minorities, Black people are actually over-represented in Hollywood films right now.

Like it or not, the director is making a good point. People complained about the "white-washing" of Ghost in the Shell, largely because of Scarlett Johannson's portrayal of the Major. But this was despite much of the rest of the cast having largely international and ethnically diverse backgrounds, from Europe, Japan, Fiji, China, etc.

And tbh, I don't think you're giving their production team credit. L's character is a major leading role in the story --- you don't just cast a Black actor for the sake of shielding against criticism, not when the role is so important to the production. You're also ultimately devaluing the actor's ability when you suggest that he only landed the role "because they needed someone Black".

Would it have been okay if both L and Light were cast with Black actors, just because they're minorities? At what point is it possible for talented White performers to take on these sorts of adaptation roles without fearing accusation of White-washing? Are we going to just marginalize White people's talent and focus on the color of their skin? Isn't that a discriminatory approach to casting in its own right? Or do you think we need to have affirmative action in film-making, where performers from minority groups are given roles ahead of majority demographics for the sake of increased representation, regardless of their acting ability?

Quote:
OK let's pretend that Asian-American folks were even allotted the opportunity to voice their perspectives and feelings about virtually any adapted property in the early 2000s, yeah let's just take that assumption at face value and run with it and say nobody even cared: so? We live in 2017, not 2002. Advancements in social dialogues occur as society progresses, this is basic common sense. Increased awareness of the manners in which disempowered classes of people (women, queer folks, black and brown communities, take your pick) are exploited has always been supplemented by a generational shift in attitudes and understandings, and this is a good thing. It means people, especially young people, are thinking critically, reexamining the world around them, and making determinations about what kind of a society they want to contribute to propping up: one that is stagnant and boring and rooted in the same old inhibiting cliches and power dynamics, or one that can expand and grow and be informed by the voices of the many rather than one select group.

It's worth noting that Masi Oka (not really a neutral party but OK) pretty avidly contradicts Lee in his statement to EW, insisting it wasn't a business decision (what's this about making it more appealing to "English-language audiences"?) and admitting they straight-up could have selected an Asian actor. The rest of his argument is typical Hollywood "conventional wisdom" indicative of his own internalized notion of "Asianness" in the film industry in that it reinforces a myth of absent Asian-American talent rather than a fact of anything. Big Hero 6, Power Rangers, Nikita, the upcoming Mulan remake (supposedly), Suicide Squad, Arrow, hell even that French live-action Code Lyoko reboot which was no doubt drawing from a much smaller pool of talent than any available to Hollywood have successfully cast Asian performers who are as qualified as anyone else. The idea that lol there just aren't any who can do it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ is a pretty unconvincing suggestion, especially when your go-to white substitute is a real A-lister like Nat Wolff (lmao) and you have a Japanese-American performer in your movie like...?

I'm Asian American. Let me tell you, there aren't a lot of us here in the US. To my understanding, we make up less than 6% of the US population, and most of that are people from India. Japanese Americans are way less than that, I think they're like half a percent. That's not a lot of people, and you can imagine, most of them aren't even actors/actresses, they're working in many other industries besides Hollywood. We're not showing up in movies because there just aren't that many of us to begin with, and more often than not, Hollywood would have to go out of their way to try to find someone of Asian descent to fill roles for productions like this. That's just the demographic reality, so as much as you might want to fight for more Asian-American representation, it's pretty understandable things are the way they are right now. We live in a country of incredible diversity, much much more so than Japan, but it's nowhere near a melting pot yet, so you have to have realistic expectations.

Hollywood can't really seem to win one way or the other these days. Conservatives lambast them for pushing a globalist agenda, but then anime fans complain about white-washing for foreign adaptations. I suppose everyone has a political beef when it comes to tinsel town.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:06 am Reply with quote
FackuIkari wrote:
Agent355 wrote:
FackuIkari wrote:
I like how pretty much nobody cares if the movie is good or bad, that's funny. If it turns out to be a really good supernatural thriller, who cares? seriously

How many people have to say that they care about how good the movie is for you to think "somebody" cares about its quality? Because quite a few people have said that in this thread alone. But, you know what? It could be good or bad regardless of who's cast. Just so happens that a lot of whitewashed movies that justified racist casting before their film's debut happen to be really bad. Remember how many times Shymalan & co claimed they got "the best actors" for the part of Aang, Katara and Sokka? Did anyone actually still believe that after the movie came out? Sometimes I think producers get all defensive towards whitewashing critics before a movie comes out in order to drum up "controversy" and get free publicity like this article. Then when the movie's terrible, they're all like "well, all those critics who said it was racist made sure no one even gave it a chance! It's *their* fault our movie bombed!!!" That was Ghost in the Shell's strategy, in any case.

So my question is, what happens if it is good? like Edge of Tomorrow, I don't really remember a lot of people screaming at the heavens because Tom Cruise was in it instead of a asian american playing the part of Keiji, or maybe I wasn't really into the internet when that movie came out, I don't know. I'm just tired of this bullshit about a movie nobody saw. I just want a good movie, If it makes sense in the world of the adaptation to Light to be that guy who cares

Well, Edge of Tomorrow had the added benefit of its source material being obscure as well, so the whole production process was less scrutinized to begin with.

But there are two different issues here: one is American producers taking on a beloved property and messing with it to begin with. That's going to happen with any fan-favorite property, from an American YA fantasy novel to a beloved Korean drama based on an equally beloved Japanese manga. Anyone remember the American live action "Boys Over Flowers"? That, as far as I heard was really bad, too.

The second issue is whitewashed casting and Hollywood's tired excuses for it. There are rarely blind casting calls. Minority actors (including white women who don't fit a certain young and pretty mold) have complained for decades that there are so few parts that they are even allowed to audition for. Actors of color who are born and raised American are asked to use accents for the bit parts they get. Its a pervasive problem. So it adds insult to injury when actors of color are barely given a chance to audition for both original, non-specified characters *and* characters of color adapted from another medium.
Fans and actors in the industry alike have a right to complain about that. But when the producers respond defensively to that criticism before the movie even comes out, you can almost bet it's because they know there are other problems with the production and they're trying to deflect from how bad their movie is by blaming the people who criticized their casting practices. It's happened too many times now to not be true.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:07 am Reply with quote
Puniyo wrote:

Because I'm sure not a single person of any other race or gender has done anything bad in history ever! If we're going to blame an entire section of humans for things some of their ancestors may have done in history at one point, then we might as well blame all Americans for Hiroshima and call every German a nazi, all of Japan for their war crimes etc. etc.

People should be judged by what THEY do, not what some crusty old dead person they've never even met did way before they were born.

Right, crusty old dead people, not like people of color suffer any discrimination or racial violence every single day, not that this exact production is saying they thought they couldn't afford to make this not-white to sell it to people, not like there are still people in the south upholding confederate flags, not like the whole root of this discussion is how Asian-American actors can't get decent job offers because Hollywood perceives the majority of the white population to be too racist to accept a story that is not explicitly about them.

Quote:
She's Hawaiian. She's still American. You're only calling her 'polinesian' to make her sound like a minority.
Plus since not only can I imagine it's easier to find an english-speaking Hawaiian who fits the part, it's pot luck. Even in Auli'i's case, she nearly didn't audition.
On an unrelated note, she went to a high school called Kamehameha.

Why does it only matter then when the person's a different colour? Aren't we going to complain about the fact they cast Emma Watson - an English actress- as Belle, a French girl? Of course bloody not.

Besides, why doesn't anyone understand how the industry works? Disney is so popular, they can cast whoever they want and it'll still sell. Anime isn't as popular as everyone here thinks it is. Death Note is one of the few things people who don't watch anime may've heard the name of, but they're not going to watch it if it's a cast of all unknown actors. The Death Note film is such a gamble in the first place, they need big-name actors to sell it to the normies.

Right, as opposed to Asian-Americans who are, as we all know Venezuelan living in Zimbabwe, impossible to find a single one of them that speaks English. Not like Netflix has literally all the money in the world to throw at this production or anything. Not like they found actors to fit the bill for a lot of minority representation in other series such as Sense8 (Spanish, Korean, Indian and transgender), a series that, by the way, didn't even have a pre-established crowd but was in fact an original and still became a success, but they've never done that before, it's impossible Rolling Eyes

Again, I wonder why it matters when it's racial minorities that get underrepresented and neglected as opposed to the overrepresented caucasian demographic. Hmmmm such a mystery, we might never know....[/quote]

Last edited by CrowLia on Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:10 am; edited 1 time in total
ReifuTD

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:07 am Reply with quote
Connor Dino wrote:
I personally cannot wait for the Live-Action Hollywood adaptations of Attack on Titan and Fullmetal Alchemist,where they will cast the appropriate races in every role (they won't all be Asian) and be accused of White-Washing.

Wait...does that mean the cast of the Japanese live-action films of Attack on Titan and Fullmetal Alchemist mean they are Asian-Washing all the roles?

So confused....

Better yet adapt something like Sailor Moon and have it take place in America, in the Original the characters are 100% Japanese for some reason two of the charters have blond hair, Blue hair witch I assume is a from of dark blond, brown hair and black.
Ree101

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:21 am Reply with quote
Quote:
"I can understand the criticism ... if our version of Death Note was set in Japan and [featured] characters that were Japanese-named or of Japanese ancestry," he said. The film's story takes place in Seattle instead of Tokyo and the protagonist, played by White actor Nat Wolff, is named Light Turner instead of Light Yagami. According to Lee, story changes such as these were necessary to "make it more appealing to the US or to the English-language market."

Yeah, because Asian looks don't "appeal" to the US. Rolling Eyes

What's more ridiculous is this

Quote:
"the actors we did go to didn't speak the perfect English… and the characters had been rewritten."

I think some people are missing the point of the back lash, POC have always been ignored in the US market which is mostly imported internationally so that means people of all around the world watch what they create. They mostly represent white in big hit movies and the face of beauty is mostly white. If this not racism, I don't know what it is. I find statement like it's more appealing to the US market offensive when America isn't consist of white people only.

Last edited by Ree101 on Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:36 am; edited 3 times in total
faboo95

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:24 am Reply with quote
CCTakato wrote:
I find it a bit unbelievable to me they couldn't find a single Asian American actor that didn't speak "perfect English."

And I honestly think that's the actual reason why most people shout "white washing" in these situations. For the most part it's just people upset that it's not closely following the source material, including the race of a character.

Connor Dino wrote:
I personally cannot wait for the Live-Action Hollywood adaptations of Attack on Titan and Fullmetal Alchemist,where they will cast the appropriate races in every role (they won't all be Asian) and be accused of White-Washing.

Wait...does that mean the cast of the Japanese live-action films of Attack on Titan and Fullmetal Alchemist mean they are Asian-Washing all the roles?

So confused....

I kind of have to laugh and roll my eyes at times when people try to make this point, but I the answer would be "no" to that sentiment.

Yeah I know it sounds hypocritical, but fact is that it's rare to find a Japanese speaking actor that isn't Japanese. To find one for a leading role is hard enough as is, but imagine finding a whole cast of them! Whereas for North America, it's far more plausible to find someone from any background who can speak English (if they can act well though, that's another issue!). Simply put, it's logistics and the Japanese film industry simply has to use what they can get.

As for if this whole situation is actual "white-washing", as in racist in nature, I honestly don't see the issue (at least in this particular case) and don't really care. I'm just hoping it turns out well...
FackuIkari

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:29 am Reply with quote
Quote:
But there are two different issues here: one is American producers taking on a beloved property and messing with it to begin with

So are you saying they should never make adaptations of anything then?

Quote:
The second issue is whitewashed casting and Hollywood's tired excuses for it

Yeah but, again, in what way, shape or form this thing would affect the story, plot, the writting, the directing and the characters in this adaptation? what would change if you put every minority on screen when it comes to that? because I'm still looking for someone to answer me that. L should be a pale weird british pretty boy and nobody is complaining about it so why Light casting brings up suck a rage because it's not asian? that makes no sense to me, if you're gonna complain about the faithfullness of something complain about everything

Quote:
But when the producers respond defensively to that criticism before the movie even comes out

wouldn't you be kinda defensive if someone starts calling you things just for the hell of it before they even know what's in the project you made? come on
IG

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:32 am Reply with quote
Ree101 wrote:
Quote:
"I can understand the criticism ... if our version of Death Note was set in Japan and [featured] characters that were Japanese-named or of Japanese ancestry," he said. The film's story takes place in Seattle instead of Tokyo and the protagonist, played by White actor Nat Wolff, is named Light Turner instead of Light Yagami. According to Lee, story changes such as these were necessary to "make it more appealing to the US or to the English-language market."

Yeah, because Asian looks don't "appeal" to the US. Rolling Eyes

What's more ridiculous is this

Quote:
"the actors we did go to didn't speak the perfect English… and the characters had been rewritten."

I think some people are missing the point of the back lash, POC have always been ignored in the US market which is mostly imported internationally so that means people of all around the world watch what they create. They mostly represent white in big hit movies and the face of beauty is mostly white. If this not racism, I don't know what it is. I find statement like it's more appealing to the US market offensive when America isn't consist of white people only.

:rol:
What the heck have you been smoking ? Most countries have their ow n movies, and tv shows . Black people made their own movies . So most the country is white so most of the roles are going to be white . Don't like it make your own stuff. Instead expecting other people do it for you . As for diversity , I been seeing a lot diversity in shows .
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:02 am Reply with quote
Quote:
="IG"

Don't like it make your own stuff. Instead expecting other people do it for you .

You mean like the American comic book Death Note published in the American magazine Weekly Super Jam or the 1995 cult American cyberpunk movie Ghost in the Shell directed by Michael Orson, written originally by Americans with American characters animated by Disney
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:08 am Reply with quote
Come on guys, i can't understand the controversy.

Like Roy Lee said:
Quote:

This is not Death Note. Is a American movie that maybe use some parts of Death Note and coincidently have the same title.

If you read the disclamer at the end of the movie you will read:
Quote:
This motion picture is protected under the copy laws of the United States and other countries throughout the world. Country of first publication: United States of America. Any unauthorized exhibition, distribution, or copying of this film or any part thereof (including soundtrack) may result in civil liability and criminal prosecution. The story, all names, characters, and incidents portrayed in this production are fictitious and have no relation with the Japanese anime/manga Death Note. No identification with actual Death Note characters (living or deceased), places, buildings, and products is intended or should be inferred.

(2017)
IG

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:03 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Quote:
="IG"

Don't like it make your own stuff. Instead expecting other people do it for you .

You mean like the American comic book Death Note published in the American magazine Weekly Super Jam or the 1995 cult American cyberpunk movie Ghost in the Shell directed by Michael Orson, written originally by Americans with American characters animated by Disney

Wow you miss my point. I mean asian american can make their own stuff . Instead of rely on foreign America remakes . Death Note, Ghost in the shell are not asian american properties . There Japanese properties , if people want to see more minorities in films , and shows .They can make there own stuff . I'm trying to be writer, and I write diverse characters. No one owes you anything , you make your own stuff.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:56 am Reply with quote
Puniyo wrote:
Thanks, I forgot about those- the Catholicism stuff just came to mind first because of how much there is. I'm pretty sure there was a Zelda game that incorrectly used an Islamic prayer chant too.

Yep, it was in Ocarina of Time's Fire Temple. Complaints from Islamic players prompted Nintendo to change the music. (I'm with the players in that aspect, for the record--that chant is sacred and not to be used or even heard in secular contexts.)

Puniyo wrote:
Death Note is one of the few things people who don't watch anime may've heard the name of, but they're not going to watch it if it's a cast of all unknown actors. The Death Note film is such a gamble in the first place, they need big-name actors to sell it to the normies.

I'll bet there are many people out there who know Death Note mainly through the incidents in schools where students bring mock Death Notes with people's names already written on them and get in trouble for it.

Kikaioh wrote:
You can twist the interpretation all you'd like, but they're not going to hire a Japanese actor who can't speak English clearly, particularly for roles that require a degree of eloquence to properly portray the characterizations. Broken Engrish would be a major distraction from the production.

Theoretically, one thing they can do is have the actor speak in that heavily-accented, broken Engrish and have someone else dub the lines in later, like what they did with Aurich Goldfinger, the James Bond villain (whose actor was German and did not speak English). I don't think this Death Note movie has the budget for that though, as you are essentially hiring two actors for one character. (For the same reason--budget--I'm sure that's why it's set in Seattle.)

Kikaioh wrote:
I'm Asian American. Let me tell you, there aren't a lot of us here in the US. To my understanding, we make up less than 6% of the US population, and most of that are people from India. Japanese Americans are way less than that, I think they're like half a percent. That's not a lot of people, and you can imagine, most of them aren't even actors/actresses, they're working in many other industries besides Hollywood. We're not showing up in movies because there just aren't that many of us to begin with, and more often than not, Hollywood would have to go out of their way to try to find someone of Asian descent to fill roles for productions like this. That's just the demographic reality, so as much as you might want to fight for more Asian-American representation, it's pretty understandable things are the way they are right now. We live in a country of incredible diversity, much much more so than Japan, but it's nowhere near a melting pot yet, so you have to have realistic expectations.

Hollywood can't really seem to win one way or the other these days. Conservatives lambast them for pushing a globalist agenda, but then anime fans complain about white-washing for foreign adaptations. I suppose everyone has a political beef when it comes to tinsel town.

I am Asian-American too, and I have had my aspirations towards Hollywood (though not in acting, and nowadays, it's more Burbank, but Hollywood gets the point across better). I think you've seen this firsthand too, but there are other factors in play regarding the lack of Asian actors. The first is that the general sentiment among people who grew up in east Asia and moved to the United States is that they have a pretty low opinion of people in the entertainment business, as they're not universally high-paying jobs. Certainly, I had a huge amount of resistance from my parents when I told them I wanted to go into TV production, and when they saw I wouldn't budge, they tried ever harder to stop me, outright sabotaging attempts I made to get my foot in the door. Even now, my mom is deeply against it.

The other factor is that in Hollywood, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. We have a lot of black actors because they were the loudest racial minority during the Civil Rights Movement and have continued to aggressively campaign for greater representation whenever it falters. Asian culture, however, encourages people to keep a low profile, not stand out, keep quiet, not rebel, and ride out and endure any social conflicts rather than fight against them. (I read in a newspaper article a couple of years ago that among racial groups in the United States, Asian-Americans have the lowest percentage of people registered to vote.) Hollywood executives and agents turn their heads to whatever's getting the most attention, and this means for most Asian-Americans, they kind of forget they're there.

In other words, underrepresentation of Asian-Americans is real, and Hollywood is not wholly to blame for it. (It's not completely blame-free, but it's also not 100% their fault.) We currently have Asian-Americans far enough removed from their immigrant ancestors to be comfortable behaving extrovertedly though and can now land acting jobs, with the success of Fresh Off the Boat and that show starring the Asian doctor whose name I've forgotten. These Asian-American actors have managed to establish themselves, and I expect them to get increasingly major Hollywood roles in the future.

IG wrote:
What the heck have you been smoking ? Most countries have their ow n movies, and tv shows . Black people made their own movies . So most the country is white so most of the roles are going to be white . Don't like it make your own stuff. Instead expecting other people do it for you . As for diversity , I been seeing a lot diversity in shows .

In my parents' country, when they were growing up, there WERE movie and TV show makers, but until recently, it was seen as a trash industry made up of people who failed to get so-called "real" jobs. And really, there was no soul, no motivation, no heart, as the public consensus was that they didn't need to bother doing anything good as Hollywood imports and anime provided the people with all the mass media they wanted. Good domestic movies and TV shows only started to become known there in the 90's, and it didn't become a respectable industry until the 2010's. Still doesn't pay well though.

So yeah...that country made their own mass media, but it doesn't necessarily mean the locals prefer it over foreign media.
IG

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:59 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Puniyo wrote:
Thanks, I forgot about those- the Catholicism stuff just came to mind first because of how much there is. I'm pretty sure there was a Zelda game that incorrectly used an Islamic prayer chant too.

Yep, it was in Ocarina of Time's Fire Temple. Complaints from Islamic players prompted Nintendo to change the music. (I'm with the players in that aspect, for the record--that chant is sacred and not to be used or even heard in secular contexts.)

Puniyo wrote:
Death Note is one of the few things people who don't watch anime may've heard the name of, but they're not going to watch it if it's a cast of all unknown actors. The Death Note film is such a gamble in the first place, they need big-name actors to sell it to the normies.

In my parents' country, when they were growing up, there WERE movie and TV show makers, but until recently, it was seen as a trash industry made up of people who failed to get so-called "real" jobs. And really, there was no soul, no motivation, no heart, as the public consensus was that they didn't need to bother doing anything good as Hollywood imports and anime provided the people with all the mass media they wanted. Good domestic movies and TV shows only started to become known there in the 90's, and it didn't become a respectable industry until the 2010's. Still doesn't pay well though.

So yeah...that country made their own mass media, but it doesn't necessarily mean the locals prefer it over foreign media.
Oh I glad their country is getting better with there stuff. I like seeing foreign stuff, and film
Alexis.Anagram

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
I'm not sure, but most people in the thread seem to feel the opposite, that this is an overblown issue.

I was being cheeky. Wink

Kikaioh wrote:
And I think Masi Oka (a Japanese American mind you, and a producer of the film) did give a better excuse --- they tried to find Asian American performers to fill the roles, but couldn't find anyone with the talent or the English-speaking ability.

I respond to that later in my post: there are plenty of qualified Asian-American actors and you don't have to look far to find them. If I can do it from my room using Google a production company with way more money than they'll ever know what to do with shouldn't have a problem.

Kikaioh wrote:
Japan's uchi/soto culture is very strong --- to the point that they even consider people who've lived abroad to be "outsiders", to a certain extent. Even Japanese Americans can feel like foreigners in Japan, so it's not quite as simple as saying that they can live anywhere else and still be the same.

Not much precedent for this being a barrier in reality, though. Look at Japanese-American singer-songwriter Utada Hikaru: one of if not the most successful artists in Japanese music history, and according to her a lot of Japanese teens thought she was a foreigner singing in Japanese (because of her slight "American" accent) when she debuted-- which in and of itself did not stop her from demolishing the charts. But when it turned out she was actually Japanese, that increased their sense of identification with her and First Love went on to become one of the highest-selling records of all time in the country. Yes, she's spoken at length about her feeling that as a Japanese person she feels like a foreigner in America and as an American she feels like a foreigner in Japan: that's a really rich kind of personal story which deserves to be explored and that's a great example as to why it's so important that Japanese-American actors (and actors, writers and directors in the Asian community in general) need exposure and recognition. And if the only roles that will ever go to them are consistently rewritten for white people who have no shortage of opportunities, our chances of hearing those stories are diminished.

If your argument is "Japanese people living in Japan won't like it," you're not only wrong, you're missing the point.

Kikaioh wrote:

Would you call Ryan Potter's English broken? Stop perpetuating false stereotypes.

Kikaioh wrote:
And tbh, while you suggest Hollywood should make these productions outside of their cultural comfort zone --- you know what would happen if they did that? They'd be accused of cultural appropriation, commenting on cultures they don't understand, filtering culture through a Western lens, etc. That they would instead focus on the universal message at the core of a story, as opposed to the cultural elements that surround it, I think is the most reasonable approach to making this sort of foreign adaptation.

That's an entirely different discussion so let's not derail, but I will say this: the solution to ending cultural appropriation is not to stop telling the stories of PoC and nobody has ever advocated that: the solution is to tell the stories of PoC in a respectful manner which pays tribute to our actual lived histories, and empowering PoC to tell our own stories. If one's response to being criticized as an artist is to throw one's hands up and whine about being held to a higher standard, maybe such a person has no business creating art.

Kikaioh wrote:
The last I saw, White people make up 70% of the US demographics, and Black people about 14%. In fact, to my understanding compared to other minorities, Black people are actually over-represented in Hollywood films right now.

Which, if that were true, only goes to show that Hollywood does not cast films according an actual understanding of demographics and if you think that's how casting should be determined, well, that's a racist practice. Should Asian-American people expect to be hired less than white people for jobs they're equally qualified to work in any other field simply because there are less of them in the U.S.? Why should the film industry be especially adverse to hiring Asian-American folks? That's fundamentally racist.

Kikaioh wrote:
Like it or not, the director is making a good point. People complained about the "white-washing" of Ghost in the Shell, largely because of Scarlett Johannson's portrayal of the Major. But this was despite much of the rest of the cast having largely international and ethnically diverse backgrounds, from Europe, Japan, Fiji, China, etc.

OK, but understand that the two main roles were white and no, shoehorning white people into a movie does not constitute diversity when the industry standard is whiteness and white representation. It's not an even playing field.

Kikaioh wrote:
And tbh, I don't think you're giving their production team credit. L's character is a major leading role in the story --- you don't just cast a Black actor for the sake of shielding against criticism, not when the role is so important to the production. You're also ultimately devaluing the actor's ability when you suggest that he only landed the role "because they needed someone Black".

Oh irony. I'm not saying any of those things, the producer made a statement specifically citing L's "blackness" as a shield against criticism and I simply investigated his comment on its own merit. Don't shoot the messenger dude (but thanks for inadvertently proving my point!).

Kikaioh wrote:
Would it have been okay if both L and Light were cast with Black actors, just because they're minorities?

No, because as I stated before, PoC and minorities in film are not interchangeable groups you can just swap around at will.

Kikaioh wrote:
At what point is it possible for talented White performers to take on these sorts of adaptation roles without fearing accusation of White-washing?

Uh, maybe never, and that's as it should be. White people have plenty of opportunities outside of stealing roles from Asian-American performers, the idea that Nat Wolff really needed to play this part is just a knee-jerk defense mechanism entitled film insiders like these producers invoke when they don't know how else to rationalize their position. I guarantee you absolutely nobody in the intended audience for this Death Note adaptation ever once thought, yeah, Nat Wolff, he would be the best choice ever to play Light Yagami.

Kikaioh wrote:
Are we going to just marginalize White people's talent and focus on the color of their skin?

OK two things here that make this false outrage so great:
1) That is the exact argument you have been making against casting Asian-American people: focusing on their "Asianness" and those stereotypical features associated with it, like the myth of broken Engrish;
2) That is the exact argument people have been making in favor of casting white people for these movies, including the producers themselves! Focusing on the "whiteness" of white actors as a selling point to other white people. I haven't seen a cogent argument as to Nat Wolff's abilities or even his qualifications as an actor once, because I think you and I both know that would be a tenuous position at best.

Kikaioh wrote:
Isn't that a discriminatory approach to casting in its own right?

Yeah, it sure is! Maybe we should stop casting white actors just because they're white!

Kikaioh wrote:
Or do you think we need to have affirmative action in film-making, where performers from minority groups are given roles ahead of majority demographics for the sake of increased representation, regardless of their acting ability?

Again, I am absolutely 100% convinced that the producers and casting team for this movie could have found a Japanese-American actor who is just as talented if not more talented than Nat Wolff. The problem is that they are using a racist, outdated model of marketing which skews the casting process in favor of white people.

Kikaioh wrote:
I'm Asian American. Let me tell you, there aren't a lot of us here in the US. To my understanding, we make up less than 6% of the US population, and most of that are people from India. Japanese Americans are way less than that, I think they're like half a percent. That's not a lot of people, and you can imagine, most of them aren't even actors/actresses, they're working in many other industries besides Hollywood.

Which does not mean that there are no Japanese-American actors or actresses, or even that there is a material shortage of them.

Kikaioh wrote:
We're not showing up in movies because there just aren't that many of us to begin with

No, Asian-American folks are not showing up in films because, as the producers here have literally stated, white people are given preferential treatment in Hollywood because that's what Hollywood believes will sell. It's not an accident or a coincidence, it is 100% a deliberate move to circulate a dominant white narrative.

Kikaioh wrote:
and more often than not, Hollywood would have to go out of their way to try to find someone of Asian descent to fill roles for productions like this.

Casting a part is always a process of going out of your way to find the right person to fill the role, if you're doing your job right.

Kikaioh wrote:
That's just the demographic reality, so as much as you might want to fight for more Asian-American representation, it's pretty understandable things are the way they are right now. We live in a country of incredible diversity, much much more so than Japan, but it's nowhere near a melting pot yet, so you have to have realistic expectations.

I do have realistic expectations. I think it is perfectly reasonable to expect a character from a Japanese property who is ethnically Japanese in that property to be cast as a Japanese person. Maybe we should consider the fact that traditionally white characters like Captain America, James Bond, and Batman are never rewritten for PoC; hell, in the comic book universe there is a canonically black and chicano Spiderman, but Marvel stubbornly demanded that Sony give them the rights to Peter Parker so they could make damn sure their on-screen Spiderman is white! And you want to pretend it's an even playing field.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9