• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Hanebado! [2018-07-17]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neromon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:03 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Frankly, she's as much of a victim of Uchika's damaging upbringing as Ayano

I didn't get this impression at all, I actually felt the last episode was trying to frame Uchika as being a good "mother" to Connie.

And honestly, Connie's character writing is as inconsistent as Ayano's. Last time we saw Connie all she cared about was beating Ayano to prove her worth and win Uchika's approval over her. Now she suddenly comes back to say she wanted to be family with her all along...
forexjammer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:01 am Reply with quote
Neromon wrote:
Quote:
Frankly, she's as much of a victim of Uchika's damaging upbringing as Ayano

I didn't get this impression at all, I actually felt the last episode was trying to frame Uchika as being a good "mother" to Connie.

And honestly, Connie's character writing is as inconsistent as Ayano's. Last time we saw Connie all she cared about was beating Ayano to prove her worth and win Uchika's approval over her. Now she suddenly comes back to say she wanted to be family with her all along...

Based on some people comments I read, Connie wants to become family with Ayanon because of her(Connie) relationships with her friends became better after the 1v2 match, She turned to a new leaf basically and this is the timeskip result. The other answer is, The director is a Fu(king hack. He changed the source material and made season 2 almost impossible, hence the inconsistency.

Anyway. I REALLY love seeing Ayano destroying these not-so-nice-people left and right. I hope she will abandon her mother for real.
Cab329

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:05 am Reply with quote
The show seems at odds with itself and I think this is where it's trying to have its cake and eat it when it come so to the adaptation side of things...and it's frustrating.

The show wants me to be sympathetic to Connie but no, I really don't. In the manga while Connie did show up and wanted to beat Ayana, she wasn't as harsh in her first appearance in the manga, so this episode's attempt to dial things back and have her act nice comes off as insincere. She had the same motivation in the manga but once again, he first appearance wasn't as harsh.

So when Ayano her off, crushes her, and then rebuffs her, I was actually pretty happy. As opposed to thinking "my gosh how heartless" . Connie re-traumatized her and then comes in trying to play nice with her. Screw that. The only issue I had was the sudden skill gap closure. They should have had her stomp Kaoroku in their rematch to show Ayano had improved as opposed to the closer matches they changed it to.

In any case, I actually think while Ayano isn't all right and needs to get some real support, all of her revenge seems more justified than horrifying. Aragaki wouldn't leave her alone and offered little support so why not dump on her when she's losing? Kaoroku was horrible so why not crush her? Connie thinks she can walk things back? Screw her. Badminton's given her almost nothing but pain so why not ruin it for everyone else?

Yeah it's not healthy but it's cathartic. Maybe if her teammates actually bonded with her outside of "you should play badminton...you're good at badminton" I'd fell different but screw it, crush em all, crush your mom, crush the sport. Go dark-Ayano!
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:35 am Reply with quote
SkyLETV34 wrote:
Especially because of Connie's presence, with whom one would expect to be colder but not, Ayano was very cheerful and friendly towards her, which results in something weird and even forced.

For me Ayano mostly ignored Connie.
Her overexcited behavior shows that she was greatly annoyed by Connie's presence, IMO. This happy personality is a facade to prevent others to make questions, because if she is smiling she is well, right?

casenumber00 wrote:
I think the reviewer and many people here dont understand what a bad upbringing can do to people. As someone who had a bad upbringing I struggled and still somewhat do with things and Hanebado is a great job showing that. Looking at Hanebado, it is full of melodrama and actions of which most would find illogical. With the melodrama parts, it seems that every worth while story moment in the story has some emotional moment and that what it is like for emotionally stunted people. Every waking moment, often with other people, is a challenge to get you message across while still maintaining your ego. From outside looking in, a person can see conversations or actions of people like this as something that doesnt make sense in the context of the situation but often fail to consider, much less see, that those actions done to maintain stability in their own mind. You have seen people people yelling at clerk stands yell at the clerks stand just ordering a simple cup of coffee, someone yell at you, or someone else, about a mistake they themselves did, or noticed the ramblings of a certain president as examples of this. If you viewed Ayano's actions and what she says as being as carefully chosen so she wont break any further, it would make more sense. I know watching this show can make you dislike Ayano, even to the point of being bothered by it, but this is a story about a mentally fractured girl. As someone from that background, I find this show doing a good job portraying it, so good in fact that people who cant relate to a bad upbringing cant even empathize with Ayano. With that being said, it maybe becoming a bad story but this actually fits for many people in reality. I saw Ayano fits as a good character study for a bad upbringing but not a great number of people will not empathize, or maybe not understand Ayano but I at least wanted to say a few things about this show. I know said a few things but people's mental health is unimaginably complex and what I said only scratches the surface, I just chose to step in and say a few things but there is plenty more I would like to say with many many things I didn't cover but I will stop for now.

What is illogical is when the anime looks like it's trying to make me like characters like Connie, Kaoruko, Uchika. I'm just seeing horrible things and the mood is suggestion that I should sympathize? No way.

Some people are asking too much from Ayano.
Connie deserved worse.
Yeah, she is also a victim (Uchika baited a little orphan with the dream of a family to persuade her to play as hard as she wants? Jesus Crist!) but what she did to Ayano earlier was wrong. What was her reason to finally go meet "her sister"? I got the impression that she feared Ayano as a competitor for her "mother's love". She went to Japan, sees Ayano, and concludes that she is the better one? That Ayano doesn't deserve to be Uchika's daughter? How can I sympathize with her? If only she repented, but not, it was just like with Kaoruko, she didn't repented, she didn't asked for forgiveness and tried to make peace with Ayano and herself.

For me makes no sense if the anime is really trying to vilify Ayano.
Yes, she needs help but the others need to respond and pay for the ill they done to her.
FackuIkari

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:02 am Reply with quote
Quote:
For me makes no sense if the anime is really trying to vilify Ayano

I don't see it but if the anime is trying that then is failing, I like her more and more each episode, everytime she goes terminator mode is fun to watch and when she does that to the people that deserved to be treated like that feels good.

Last edited by FackuIkari on Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:06 am Reply with quote
FackuIkari wrote:
Quote:

I don't see it but if the anime is trying that then is failing, I like her more and more each episode, everytime she goes terminator mode is fun to watch and when she does that to the people that deserved to be treated like that feels good.

Maybe I'm thinking this because I keep seeing some fools blaming Ayano...
But the anime is not innocent, because till now it didn't vilify the other characters. This is good actually... well, let's wait and see.
FackuIkari

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Panino Manino wrote:
FackuIkari wrote:
Quote:

Maybe I'm thinking this because I keep seeing some fools blaming Ayano...
But the anime is not innocent, because till now it didn't vilify the other characters. This is good actually... well, let's wait and see.

the people that blame ayano for being cold must be the same people who say that Shinji should have no problem getting into the EVA
Gurren Rodan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:18 pm Reply with quote
FackuIkari wrote:

the people that blame ayano for being cold must be the same people who say that Shinji should have no problem getting into the EVA

Haha, I'd buy that! Laughing

As entertaining as this show is, I'd agree that some of the characters are inconsistent. Connie was openly hostile to Ayano in her first appearance, so seeing her act this way now suggests something important happened with her character off-screen that we needed to actually see.
I wasn't bothered by Ayano, though; my assumption was, as the reviewer brings up, that Ayano's silly nature this episode is actually her normal state. It's when Connie brings up family that Ayano goes into defensive. Since the show is focused on Badminton, and the main plot is about the mother-daughter relationship, we simply haven't had much opportunity to see Ayano out of the context of her trauma. I don't know how realistic of a depiction this is, but for me, it seems reasonable enough.
I do wonder where this is ultimately headed, though; I'm excited and anxious for next episode, because I'm sure Uchika will be the make-or-brake point for the show. Why did she leave? What's her intent? We have no idea what kind of person Uchika really is; we've only seen her filtered through her daughters' perspectives, and I suspect the truth is different in some important way. I certainly don't fault Ayano much for her behavior these last few episodes (it's not acceptable, but it's understandable) - and I had a blast watching her wipe the floor with her opponents - but it's obvious Ayano is going down a bad path, and it's vital for Uchika to realize that she's hurt Ayano, deeply; and nothing will change unless Uchika reaches out to heal her. Connie, by extension, needs to understand the same thing.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:23 pm Reply with quote

A good ending for the boys story. A simple and satisfactory story.
Ebina conclusion at the end made me laugh. I liked that she was just infatuated with him, that her character and her doesn't revolves too much about a man. It's a relationship that can be developed from there (with no romantic conclusion), but I have to say, I'd prefer if the anime didn't had suggested some drama there and had used that time for more scenes with dialogues between Elena an Ayano, Nagisa, Connie and Uchika.

Speaking about the demon...
I can't get mad anymore, with the character, only annoyed about how some may still defend her.
First scene and she only asked about badminton.
Second scene with the in-laws and she only asked about badminton.
Third scene with Connie on the phone and she talked and got happy about badminton.
Fourth scene with Ayano and she only talked about badminton.

She really don't think that she did any wrong.
No, she don't cares about Ayano, not even a bit.
She spend days in the house and didn't even tried to talk with her daughter? And only showed interest when she got news that Ayano is still playing and is good (being able to beat Connie)? That woman is insane, and worse, this is damaging Ayano even further. She couldn't resist the urge to train harder to please her mother, and everyone around her is acting in a infuriating way even if they don't understand this. Nagisa acting like she isn't there, not talking with her, just glaring. The rest of the club tiptoing badly around the subject and all scared to talk back Ayano's provocations. She have reasons to be going insane.
Violet Park

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:50 am Reply with quote
Uchika must be a narcissist or something, no one could be this self centered, oblivious and uncaring otherwise. I really hope Ayano reject the offer and remains in her war path. This is one of the things that will make or break the show, the other being, of course, the incoming Ayano vs Nagisa match.

In a conventional sport anime Nagisa giving Ayano a fun match and a pep talk would solve everything but Hanebado is a dark version of those animes. Ayano is too damaged for such a quick solution, not to mention that she is coping by winning and making others as miserable as she is right now, so a fun and friendly match isn't something she wants. Nagisa doesn't care about Ayano or her problems, so there's no way she'll put her own goal aside to talk-no-jutsu her. Nobody has shown any interest in helping Ayano, actually, so other reason for the usual tropes not to work.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Violet Park wrote:
Nobody has shown any interest in helping Ayano, actually, so other reason for the usual tropes not to work.

No one knows about the situation, just Elana a bit.
Nagisa and Coach well informed of too little to see the problem.
Violet Park

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Panino Manino wrote:
Violet Park wrote:
Nobody has shown any interest in helping Ayano, actually, so other reason for the usual tropes not to work.

No one knows about the situation, just Elana a bit.
Nagisa and Coach well informed of too little to see the problem.

Nagisa and the coach know about her backstory and Nagisa overheard the conversion with Connie at the end of the camp. Even if they don't connect dots, Ayano is clearly unwell and the coach isn't doing anything; and Nagisa is supposedly the one who is going to help Ayano at the end but she hasn't talked to the coach about what she heard or shown any concern for Ayano at all.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:50 am Reply with quote
Actually, not even the audience knows a real actual thing about the relationship, let alone the supporting cast. We've seen one horrible abandonment. No details. Hell, these last couple episodes seem to be the first to show that there doesn't seem to be a dad in the picture either.

the show is constructed to give the absolute worst impression of a bad situation so it can make a big reveal eventually but it is really poisoning the water. The reactions in the thread show how little people will care about any explanation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Actually, not even the audience knows a real actual thing about the relationship, let alone the supporting cast. We've seen one horrible abandonment. No details. Hell, these last couple episodes seem to be the first to show that there doesn't seem to be a dad in the picture either.

the show is constructed to give the absolute worst impression of a bad situation so it can make a big reveal eventually but it is really poisoning the water. The reactions in the thread show how little people will care about any explanation.

I already seen enough to form an option about Uchika.
What's more you need to know to want to jail that sociopath?
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Well. What HAVE you seen? One thing... and made a ton of (valid) assumptions about it.

Ayano loses a match while sick, Uchika leaves while she is sick.
Apparently without any explanation (?)
Never contacting her again (?)
Never leaving so much as a goodbye note (?)

Why? Why? Why?

You see- the only thing you KNOW is the one action, and they've left ALL the details completely blank. For all we know- she did leave an explanation, she has attempted to stay in contact. Maybe Ayano bitched her out in a fevery haze. We don't know and they're not telling us. (although I believe someone in this thread has hinted that the manga does give some of those details from the onset- and the anime neglected to use them)
....For all we know Ayano's father was a ruthless Yakuza setting up high stakes gambling rings focused on elementary school girls badminton matches.... before switching to ping pong girls... wearing gothic lolita dresses....

We know nothing. It's probably not much of an explanation anyways, but technically- we know nothing.

...and I really get confused about claims of her "abusing" Connie too.
All theories are valid but there's no actual proof.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9