• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: More Haruhi Suzumiya Auditions

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:23 pm Reply with quote
For anyone that cares...

The Mikuru sample was taken from Episode 3 (broadcast order) at around the 11:45 mark.

The Yuki sample was also taken from Episode 3, at around the 21:20 mark.

Itsuki sample was taken from Episode 5, at around the 18:30 mark.

As for Haruhi, I'm pretty sure they'll use this one:

"Higashi-chuu shusshin, Suzumiya Haruhi. Tada no ningen ni wa kyoumi arimasen. Kono naka ni uchuujin, miraijin, isekaijin, chonoryokusha ga itara, atashi no tokoro ni kinasai! Ijou!" (From Higashi Middle School, Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans...)
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Voice number one is the only option. That somewhat effeminate inflection to the guy's voice is perfect for Itsuki. (Johnny Yong Bosch? I don't know, I hardly pay any attention at all to English dubs, I'm just going with what other have speculated.) Most of the other voices didn't seem to get Itsuki's voice down so perfectly but would be other acceptable options, but number five was so terrible it had me laughing out loud! I can't believe he's almost tied with number one, if he actually wins I'm going to have to seriously think twice about pre-ordering the DVDs. (And poop, I just checked Yuki's poll and voice number one is beating number three by like three hundred votes. Anime cry )
Kohiki

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:55 pm Reply with quote
UWAH!
Why is #1 doing so good?!
I don't want my Itsuki sounding like Ichigo!

Viva la number four!
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Kohiki wrote:
UWAH!
Why is #1 doing so good?!
I don't want my Itsuki sounding like Ichigo!

Viva la number four!

Yay number four!

Poor JYB. I love him, but I have to admit, I'm really starting to get tired of hearing him as the leading male role in what seems like...75% of the anime coming out of California right now.

(That's an exaggeration, for sure, but..Albert in Gankutsuou, Ichigo in Bleach, Renton in Eureka 7....it's getting to be too much!)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:11 pm Reply with quote
You know what? The rendition #4 did is actually not that bad (which it almost pains me that #1 and #5 are leading). He got the enthusiasm down that's for sure. I rather hear Crispan Freeman try his voice on Kyon though.

Ugh, this is a lot tougher to choose from! Mad
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:19 pm Reply with quote
#1 was outrageously bland, and #5 was just sucky. I'm guessing they're only doing so well because people know who the actors are and they are fans of said actors. #3, #2, and #4 are all simmilar, but I liked #3 the best because it was slightly more eccentric than the others.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Well, I have to admit, when I first heard JYB my gut reaction was to vote for him just because I knew who he was and enjoyed his other roles, so...I wouldn't be surprised if people are voting for those two because they recongize them.

I don't know if I would say #5 is 'just sucky', I just don't particularly like how...lazy that version sounds. He probably do fine if he got the part, but I'd love to hear Crispin as Kyon, anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Zrana

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:29 pm Reply with quote
I picked number 3 for Itsuki. 1 was too soft for me, not confident enough or something. Alot of the others sounded too rough to me, or too blah. Nice voices for some of thoses options, but they didn't match being Itsuki in personality enough for me.

Alot of the voices sound reeeeeeeeeeally familiar to me, but I'm not good at identifying voices...
Nebs

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:10 pm Reply with quote
#3, definitely #3. Steve Staley sounded like the best choice to me. Dave Wittenberg at #4 is a good second choice, but I really didn't like any of the others. Lord knows why numbers 1 & 5 are leading....

I think Adam Lawson would've been a good choice as well. Wish they would consider him.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Aki Ameko

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:37 pm Reply with quote
After a while of listening to some of the tracks over and over, and actually having to get out the clip from the episode, I finally decided on #3. His voice was more soft and gentle but still serious, (except for when it sounded like he was laughing at the end...) and it just sounded like it would come out of the character to me. I was really between #3 and #5, 5 had a completely different tone that I also liked for the role, but I think the laziness in the sound was what made me finally decide against him. And I did also like #1, but it sounded to light. I could deal with 3, 5, or 1. Just not 2, I think...

And I still think 2 sounded like Richard Cox. Really like him as Inuyasha, but not at all a good match for Itsuki.
Nebs

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Richard Cox is from a different dubbing studio. It's very unlikely that an Ocean Group actor would be auditioning when all the others have been from California.

Studio cross-overs have become more common as of late, but Ocean Group still remains very much isolated by themselves. I think FullMetal Alchemist has been the only anime so far to bring over an actor from there for a series by a different group.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
crimsonsplat

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:58 pm Reply with quote
None of the Yuki voices nailed it for me; they were all way off. The defining characteristic of the VA's voice is that it's almost robotic, but not quite. All four VA's inflected their voices too much. A better explanation of what I mean is here.

Anyway, I'm off to check on Itsuki now....
CGord

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:33 pm Reply with quote
I don't think there's any way that voice is Richard Cox, both from the sound & the improbability of him being involved in a CA dub.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:09 pm Reply with quote
I had to go with 4 on that one, but none of them were even close. That character is supposed to have a very mature, measured voice, with even emotional tones, while all of those VAs had a more jovial, "teenager" voice. They all totally missed the mark.
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:12 am Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
Well, I have to admit, when I first heard JYB my gut reaction was to vote for him just because I knew who he was and enjoyed his other roles, so...I wouldn't be surprised if people are voting for those two because they recongize them.

Yeah, that's probably one of the downsides of having a recognized actor play a role, which is why since Haruhi series topic #1 I've been saying unknown actors would be best for this kind of dub work, as opposed to someone who is much more recognizable; it imprints the role onto said character, and the large our pool of talent the more potential to have "fresh" dubs without the same cast drowning out every dub under a company banner.

As is the case with 4Kids Entertainment and the New York free-lance actors; most of them are great, but I've heard them so many times it's an annoyance to hear them in every new show.

I should also note it's probably a good idea for Kadokawa to only use these polls as partial consideration, rather than the sole deciding factor for an audition; if the Supreme Court yielded to popular consensus instead of making decisions in the interest of preserving the status quo, the US government would be turned upside down by now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9