• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
[OT] Interests BESIDES Anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
b214

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:39 pm Reply with quote
I love to watch American Football, Patriots fan. I'm a big gamer that plays any genre except fighting like mortal kombat. I work a lot for a high school student, 38 hours last week on top of school Evil or Very Mad . I've also made a recent hobby of exercising since I really have to for the U.S. Army. Shipping out in June.
Raicho

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:56 am Reply with quote
I really like reading fantasy novels, and am currently going through the Keys of the Kingdom serise, and I confess, I'm also a Harry Potter fanatic. Other then that I just search the web alot and watch J-Rock Music Videos.
nailz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Other than anime...

I read a lot, both fiction and non-fiction.

I am a member of the Society for Creative Anachronism, which has tons of hobbies in itself. My area of interest within the society is, duh, Japanese. So I spend a lot of time studying the culture, especially during the Heian period.
http://www.sca.org

I'm also a rocker...so I spend a lot of time rocking out. *laugh* really. But honestly most of my time is hogged by The Man and I can't spend hours and hours pursuing my loves.
naruto fan 09812

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:04 pm Reply with quote
I am in to the NFL now because mine Chicago Bears are in the Super Bowl with the Indianapolis Colts. I thought this will never happen in my lifetime now only if the Chicago Cubs can win the World Series I can die as a happy man Very Happy

Last edited by naruto fan 09812 on Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
FUNiRepBlue (disabled)
Company Representative

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:54 pm Reply with quote
I get a nice healthy does of Anime stuff during the day for work but I also watch quite a bit in the evenings too.
Aside from Anime though I'd say:

* Wakeboarding (well in the warm summertime anyway)
* NFL (We are a football family. Even my 2 year old loves football. Go Cowboys!)
* Manga but that probably doesn't really count as non-anime hobbies
* Reading all sorts of Sci Fi and Fantasy books
* Watching Movies - we pretty much watch a movie nightly. I have over 450 dvd's now (non anime dvd's that is)
* Playing D & D, yes that old school paper and pen nerdy stuff
* Everquest II, I hop on every now and again.
* Pinky Street figures I love these figures although i only have 4 myself. A few of the girls up here have a ton more than I do!
* Anything Supergirl. Respect the S!
* Spongebob Squarepants when you watch it every morning it grows on you (my daughter is a Spongebob Fanatic)
* I love wolves and werewolves so any movies or books i go nuts for

That's about it in a nutshell for me
jetz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:21 pm Reply with quote
I like a lot of things other than anime..

I love music.. I listen to music everyday, and since I'm a singer (well not a professional one but I CAN sing), I sing everyday.. My favorite genre of music is rock.. Some of my favorite bands are Green day and radiohead

I am also into fashion.. I watch fashion TV all the time.. I know all about designers and models, and I am up to date with the latest fashions

Then there's also TV and movies.. I don't watch a lot of anime on TV.. mostly because our cable doesn't provide animax.. we only have hero, which is a tagalog dubbed anime channel.. I'm not a fan of tagalog dubbing, sad to say.. Anyway, I usually watch reality shows.. and MTV.. I know it's kinda weird, but I love anime, and laguna beach.. and the OC as well.. and I watch a lot of movies on TV and on DVD

I am also an artist, wait, an artiste.. I am a writer too, and not only that, I am a pretty good manga artist (I have made several attempts to write and draw my own manga).. On busy days I only have time to doodle on my notebooks, but I give time to do what I do well...

I also play video games.. I'm a huge final fantasy fan.. My favorite is final fantasy 7, but these days I'm stuck playing the sims2..

that's pretty much it Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RezSav

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Interests OUTSIDE of Anime? Is there such a thing?! Seriously, I do have some hobbies besides Anime, nothing as cool or interesting as Archery or Fashion or Wake boarding, unfortunately Sad

Gaming: I consider myself a hardcore gamer, I put in about a good 2-3 hours a day playing them, if I'm really into the title, 5 or 6. And if it has multi-player, forget it, that's all I'm doing that week.

Music: I guess Summer would be considered my vacation away from gaming, since I usually go outside and chill and listen to music. Nothing like listening to "Don't Get Lost in Heaven" on a balmy day... or when you're cutting the yard Very Happy

Internet: Honestly, I'm on the damn thing about 10 hours a day, checking forums, RSS feeds, blogs (mostly gaming blogs), or playing Counter-Strike or Star Wars Jedi Knight II. More of a bad habit, than a hobby.

TV: More specifically, British Comedy. I love the stuff, been into it ever since I saw "As Time Goes By" on BBC America about a year-and-a-half ago. My favorite block now is the Friday Night Comedy block on BBC America. Not a fan of "Hyperdrive" or "Absolutely Fabulous", but "Feel the Force" is pretty good. Airs at 8 p.m. Central, watch it.

I'd have put driving also, but my car broke down last summer Crying or Very sad
Miho

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Some of my other interests besides anime:

I am a big video game fan. I'm actually more into video games than I am into anime, since I spend more time playing games than watching anime. One of my favorite RPG games is Tales of Symphonia, and I also like Tales of the Abyss (I don't own that game yet, but I do plan on buying it soon). I'm also a Super Smash Bros. fan, though I'm not very good at it (I used to be good at it, but I don't seem to play as well as I used to...). I've always been a big Mario fan, and I've played through the classic Super Mario Bros. games countless times. I also like the Sonic the Hedgehog series, though I'm not really a fan of the recent Sonic games.

I also really like drawing. I'm probably not that good of an artist but it's something that I really enjoy doing in my free time. I usually draw pictures of my favorite anime characters, but I occasionally like drawing non-anime related stuff too.

Japanese Culture is also a big interest. I plan on taking a Japanese language class when I go to college and I would like to visit Japan in the future. Akihabara sounds like a cool place to visit, and I'd like to see some of the anime stores they have there. I'd also like to see some of Japan's other cities too.

Other interests include swimming, listening to music, shopping, cooking, and watching other animation besides anime.

Edit: Fixed some spelling errors.

Last edited by Miho on Thu May 24, 2007 12:26 pm; edited 4 times in total
Wandering Knight

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Well, japanese RPGs drove me to anime, and anime drove me to my passion: Japanese language. I learned almost the whole language by listening to the dialog and relating with the subs (I do have a knack for learning languages, I actually picked English on my own, too) for a whole year --of course, with almost zero writing Razz--, and then I started to take classes just because I wanted to organize my knowledge, learn more vocabulary (which is something I was really lacking, but after a year I admit I've gotten better in that department Razz) and learn how to write it.

I also love music, and most of what I listen is some way or the other J-related.

I used to write prose, but due to lack of time now I seem to have dropped that hobby, though my dream is to write something as a professional in the future. But there's still time for that.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Thought I might as well post in this. Soooo, my hobbies besides anime:

I'm a really big fan of music. I'm into all sorts of genres, including classical, jazz, techno, rock, funk, and of course, JPop. If I feel in an "anime mood" (for a lack of a better term), I'll listen to JPop, my favorite artists being UNDER17 and CooRie. If I'm feeling uplifted I'll listen to rock and funk, to bands like Soundgarden and Earth Wind & Fire. Techno I don't really have preferences for artists, I'll just listen to whatever I can get my hands on. When an anime soundtrack is jazzy I'm usually inclined to listen to jazz, particularly stuff with Sonny Rollins or Maynard Ferguson in it. If I'm tired and just want to relax, I'll listen to classical. I enjoy contemporary classical more than stuff like Beethoven; Copland, Bernstein, and Stravinsky are among my favorite composers. I also really like taking sound files and messing wtih them in programs like Goldwave, it's fun and I also learned many things about timbre and sound quality that way. By the way, my favorite musical term is "anime". Razz

I play (or used to play) a lot of games. As I kid I used to play silly games like Commander Keen and Jazz Jackrabbit. I got into Starwars after Broodwar's release, and during summer breaks I used to play all day, and my parents would come home finding me staring into the screen and repeatedly clicking the mouse. After Starcraft I stuck to console games and emulators for a while. I had massive amounts of fun with the Gamecube when it came out. We would have all these "SSBM parties", where we would all flock to someone's house and someone would bring a Gamecube and four controllers, and then we'd just play SSBM for hours. I played emulators of old-school games such as FFVI, Chrono Trigger, and Seiken Densetsu, and it was massive fun. Pokemon of course was really fun, and I still play it occassionally (on the small GBA screen...) these days. There was also Gunbound, this korean game kind of like Worms with these little shooting thingys, and Gunz, another Korean game which was basically TPS (third person shooter) and free. I also own a PSP, and every once in a while play some of my games (Tales of Eternia, Ys: Arc of Napishtim, Ridge Racers). Recently I'm getting into this game called TA Spring, it's really fun and pretty addicting.

I'm also a chess player. I remember when I would go to the local chess club every week with a book on how to play the Dragon Variation, and how I slowly found myself beating everyone else until I was pretty much the best in the club. I participated (and still do) in tournaments frequently, and often when I have nothing to do, I'll open my ICC program (Internet Chess Club, where "all of the grandmasters hang out") and play a few games or two. I got pretty good and placed eighth in my age division in the State-level tournament two years ago. I play less recently, but I don't think I've gotten too much worse from before. Sometimes I wish that Lelouch from Code Geass was a real person so I could play him in a match. Who knows, maybe I'd win!

Although not really a hobby, I like doing all sorts of silly organizing stuff. That's mostly the reason I made the Series Discussion Index, the Haruhi Thread Guide, and took over as host of the Crazy Character tournament. I just really enjoy doing these things, and playing around with formatting and information and all that good stuff.

Some of my other hobbies that I have but don't really want to elaborate on are swimming, badminton, learning Japanese, and sleeping.
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm suddenly reminded I come from a generation back of fandom, in that I have seen no one mention Isaac Asimov, Edgar Rice Burroughs, or Robert A. Heinlein amongst their favorite authors. :cry:
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Craeyst Raygal wrote:
I'm suddenly reminded I come from a generation back of fandom, in that I have seen no one mention Isaac Asimov, Edgar Rice Burroughs, or Robert A. Heinlein amongst their favorite authors. Crying or Very sad

I'm an avid SF fan and would vote for the Hugo awards regularly back when I had time to read all the new releases which would add up to about 2 or 3 (mostly hardback) novels a week. These days I tend to only read the titles that have been nominated for Hugo and Nebulas along with my favorite authors. I know Jaybug is a big fan of the classics. Like everyone else I love Heinlein, especially the Moon is a Harsh Mistress, but never could get into Burroughs.

Did you get the reference in the new Ergo Proxy release? Re-L 124C41+ (One to forsee for one) is a direct reference to Hugo Gernsback's 1911 classic Ralph 124C41+. I'm surprised that none of the DVD reviews have mentioned this, but then again we do come from a different generation of fans.
Toucanbird

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Let's see.

I have a lot of hobbies away from anime.

I would say I love to watch and play sports. My favorites to watch and play are basketball. I prefer college over NBA. My favorite team is the Wisconsin Badgers in Division 1 and The Winona State Warriors in Division 2 (my school). WSU is number one in the country in D-2. I also love football. My favorite team is the Green Bay Packers.

Then, there's music. I work for a radio station and I love rock music and anything that's Japanese. My favorite bands are My Chemical Romance, Linkin Park, P.O.D., Red Hot Chili Peppers, and Yellowcard. As you can see, I don't like a particular form of rock...I like all rock. My favorite Japanese artists are High and Mighty Color (Goover album was awesome!), Nami Tamaki, Do As Infinity, and UVERworld.

I love videogames to death. I have a PS2 and an Xbox. I haven't quite upgraded to the new consoles yet because they are quite a ways out of my price range. I mostly love RPG like Final Fantasy and first person shooters like Halo and Ghost Recon. Recently, I've been playing a strategy RPG called Disgaea: Hour of Darkness and I love it! I also like action hack n' slash games like Bujingai, Devil May Cry, and Drakengard 2, which are my favorites.

I'm also an avid outdoorsman. I love to fishing and hunting. I do a lot of Muskellunge fishing in Wisconsin. Biggest musky I've ever caught was 48" and about 15 pounds. Not all that big for muskies up there. I also enjoy deer hunting. I also really like to play Texas Hold'em Poker. However, I've been on a losing streak lately.

Overall, I would say this would describe my interests.
DKong

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:50 pm Reply with quote
I have to get my priorities in gear...I waste too much time doing random crap that I really don't spend that much time on hobbies.

Video Games:About 1-2 years ago, I played all the time, usually about 4-5 times a week (and like 1-2 hours per "session", sometimes 3-4 on weekends). I'm guessing I averaged about 6-8 hours a week on gaming.
Lately I've just been doing more homework (though not much this semester), chatting with friends on aim, and watching anime that my gaming time has been cut down to like 2-3 hours a week, tops. Usually just on weekends, but I'm trying to play more.
Favorite genres: RPGs, strategy, platform (well, mainly mario), rhythm (not just DDR Wink), random imports

Random sports and games:I ski in the winter (though this year it's been pretty warm, so I haven't been out yet Sad), skimboard in the summer, shoot pool as often as I can, go bowling as often as possible (which usually isn't much, but I'll probably go more once I can drive), and I usually play baseball in the summer.
As for watching on TV: Playoffs for Football, baseball, and basketball...and then in the regular season I watch a little football, the cavs for basketball, and usually no baseball.

Internet: I spend a good 2-4 hours a day during the week, and then like 5-6 a day on weekends (though now I'm starting driving classes so that eats up 3 weekends).
All I usually do is browse through my bookmarks (most are sites that update daily) and forums...then watch some anime and junk. I'm trying to optimize my time...

Drawing:I really haven't done much in months...and I occasionally make sprites on the computer.

Music: I listen to rock (american and japanese, but mainly american), jpop, and a little techno. Favorite bands: Rage Against the Machine, Motion City Soundtrack, Fall out Boy, L'arc-en-ciel, Acid Android, System of a Down, Bowling for Soup...tons of others.

Reading:I don't read that many books, but I enjoy reading magazines (newtype, nintendo power, EGM, game informer, etc), newspapers (primarliy the comics section), and manga (but that's not supposed to count Razz)
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:21 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Guess I'll go ahead take a crack at this thread.

I also have a thing for weaponry, however not the sword and dagger collections as those collections are pretty much for show and any weapon I own is a weapon that gets used. I have 1 handgun(Kahr K40), 2 rifles(Savage .22WMR and a Remington 7mm-08) and a compound bow(Martin Panther). I do some hunting but primarily range shooting, major downfall is it's an expensive hobby. I really do enjoy it though, not out of some sick desire to kill things, but due to the sportsman aspect of it.

Well guess I can join the crowd and mention what else I do with my life. Might've posted here before but I thought the thread had been locked. Might be dreaming. Anyways here we go.

I too have a thing for weaponry. My little hobby however involves all forms of weaponry. I'm a bit of a history buff and love the history surrounding old wars and military history. Scary huh? I have weaponry from all walks of life. I also do have a few modern firearms. I have 3 semi-auto pistols. They include a Beretta 96G Elite II, Glock 22, and a Browning HP Mk. III. I also have one rifle, a Tac-Ops Tango-51 Rifle. Long line of military service and law enforcement in my family, before and after we moved from Ireland and Scottland. The rifle was my dad's but when he retired from being a cop I was given it as a 21st b-day gift. That and his Beretta handgun he won at a police auction. He still has his own Beretta he bought years ago and his shotgun. He took me shooting when I was very young and I've kept up since. I'm actually a damn good shot too despite my horrible vision lol. He made sure, him being a cop and former special forces, I knew how to properly use a gun so I didn't mess with his one day at home and blow my head off. I also have various swords, axes, knives/daggers, warhammers, and 1 pole-axe. Mine however are ALL FULLY FUNCTIONAL. This nice little store I order from makes real honest to good weaponry and they temper them and each piece is battle ready should my celtic pillaging genes ever arise. I do have a few daggers that are just for show but only them. My crowning achievement is an honest to god true and pure Japanese katana. This baby was my grandfathers (dad's side) and he aquired it in Japan. He served in the Korean War and Vietnam and retired as a full Marine Colonel. It seems he was stationed in Japan for a period and came home with it. Never said where he got it though. I only knew him briefly, died while I was 6 and he left it to his wife, my grandmother with everything else. She died and left it to me due to my interest in military history. It's been appraised at a value of $15,000 dollars(as of 2004). This is no toy and I leave this puppy in the sheath on it's stand and it's not messed with. If anyone ever were to touch it they'd die end of story. Also have other pieces such as a Roman Gladius, German double bladed battle axe, English 16th century (I think 16th) warhammer, and even a nice big 5 foot two handed Scottish Claymore.

As for other interests. Well, I love watching movies of all types. I listen to almost any kind of music. Love to read sci-fi, fantasy, thriller, and horror novels. Even have a few Nora Roberts novels too. It's a secret shhhhhhhhhh. Met her too when she released Northern Lights, nice lady. Got my copy signed yeaaaaa. Big into doing things outdoors. Love camping and fishing and stuff like that. Wanna learn to Scuba Dive and go Skydiving. Love playing with animals and seeing new kinds I''ve never seen before. Used to work at an animal hosppital as a tech for a while. The putting animals to sleep though just killed me. Love playing games, anything from board games to card games. Even still play Magic the Gathering with some old friends sometimes. I'm a pack rat so I collect tons of stuff. Dragon sculptures, Faerie sculptures, candles, gemstones, anything lol. Like playing video games, more so with friends. Nothing like a FPS with a bottle of Brandy heh. I absolutely love being on a boat and on the water or swimming in the water. I would love to go off the coast of Mass. and go whale watching or even swimming with the whalea. They can only let you swim so close, laws and such, but if a humpback whale were to swim my way I'd make no attempt to swim away. Gorgeous creatures.

My biggest hobby, more like my passion, is cooking. Anything to do with cooking or making drinks. Spent my whole doing it and I've thought about making it my career. I don't want it to become just a job though and have it lose it's soul so I probably won't. Love making international foods, name a region or country and I've probably done something from it or similar. Also love making new drink recipes. Alcoholic and virgin drinks. Love my smoothies. So if you ever get me really mad I'll probably come at you with a sword in one hand and a frying pan in the other Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10