• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Moe Tournament (nominations closed)

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:30 am Reply with quote
Well, since I couldn't get any official Moe Tournament started I"m going to start an unofficial Moe Tournament on the forums. For now this thread is just open for suggestions, at the end of the week I will take all of them into account and come up with a list for the different groups. For all entries you must include a reason why you think the character should be chosen for being the most moe character. This is not a list thread you must include a reason. The rules for all nominations are as followed (rules are subject to change):

1. All nominations must be from recent anime (anime released within the last 5 years).

2. A limit of three nominations per user, and only two from the same title.

3. Only user accounts created no later than this post (Nov 23, 2005 08:30 am GMT) can vote.

For those of you who do not know what moe is, the definition can be found right here or here in ANN's Lexicon.

Now for my suggestion. I vote for Karen from Please Twins. I love Karen's cute personality, the way she say's "Nyu..." is so adorable. I also really seem to have a thing for long hair. Love that cute ribbon too.

Last edited by PantsGoblin on Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:25 pm; edited 7 times in total
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:44 am Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
Entries are limited to female characters from all 2005 anime releases on DVD (excludes Box sets, thinpaks, and re-releases). For the sake of including everybody, CHARACTERS FROM FANSUBS ARE NOT ALLOWED. I want everybody to be able to participate in this and not everybody watches fansubs.

Have you received the questionnaire from UNICEF? Cool

It's okay if you just want to limit candidates within North American releases, but I'd say this would significantly reduce the willingness of we international participants here at ANN. Furthermore, you've got to give us a complete list of female characters appeared in 2005 R1 DVDs, organize preliminaries, assign "seeds" (extra-strong characters) and groups (you don't want several powerful contestants within the same group, like Shinku vs. Suigintou in first round of SaiMoe), and a pyramid-styled game tree. Otherwise, it would be just another "my favorite character" thread, not a TOURNAMENT.

It can be done, but not with a lot of effort and cooperation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:57 am Reply with quote
Okay, you're going to have to give me some time to come up with a list of elegible characters and setting up the different groups and brackets. Um, I don't know what characters to use as "seeds" though. Hmm, maybe I should just base the list off of characters that are popular here on ANN.

Last edited by PantsGoblin on Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:01 am; edited 1 time in total
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:58 am Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
Okay, you're going to have to give me some time to come up with a list of elegible characters and setting up the different groups and brackets. Um, I don't know what characters to use as "seeds" though.

Maybe we can spend the first week just offering suggestions. Then you can make the brackets from that.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:05 am Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Maybe we can spend the first week just offering suggestions. Then you can make the brackets from that.

Okay, that sounds good. I'm going to edit my first post now.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:09 am Reply with quote
One thing that made me wonder about the definition of moe used in the SaiMoe tournament was that they appeared to have picked a number of characters who were more than capable of protecting themselves.

It has always seemed to me that a cardinal point of moe is that one should experience an urge to protect and nurture the object of moe. The object should be somehow frail or delicate or immature. Somehow, I can't see Shinku or Suigin Tou needing, or wanting, protection.

PantsGoblin's suggestion of Onodera Karen seems more in line with my idea of moe.

Of course, I recognise that the "protection" that might be implicit can be in the form of mature guidance, rather than physical protection. Certainly, Chise from SaiKano fits the bill of moe, despite her awesome powers. But in such a case, there has to be some degree of immaturity present. That is not the case with characters like Shinku or Suigin Tou.

Anyway, after a lot of thinking, I've decided to restrict myself and nominate only three characters. I'm going to completely ignore the idea of restricting myself to R1 DVD releases from 2005, because that is patently absurd to me. "I am not now, nor have I ever been, an American."

I will, however, stick to anime that are fairly recent. Therefore, I nominate:

1. Christmas from Kurau: Phantom Memory.
Christmas is immensely powerful, but she is at the same time immature and inexperienced. She even appears as a young girl. The sororal affection between her and her "other-half" Kurau is touching to watch, and her process through hardship certainly make me want to protectively embrace her and never let go.

2. Mima Tokiko ("Key") from Key the Metal Idol.
Another character with great power, but emotional fragility. Key 's struggle spoiler[with her deep traumas] and her ultimate dependence on other people, is moving and definitely warrants a label of moe.

3. Yamada Ayumi ("Ayu") from Honey & Clover.
Once more, a character with physical maturity and strength, but emotional fragility. Obviously, my personal definition of moe emphasizes emotional rather than physical weakness. Ayu is almost freakishly strong, despite her slender frame - but every single emotion is tender and fragile.

There - I could have nominated hundreds of characters, but three will have to do. I think I'll finish up with a rapid list-thread-style ramble of the runners-up:

• Takatsu Kokone from Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
  • Hazuki from Tsukuyomi - Moon Phase
  • Iriya Kana from Iriya no Sora, UFO no Natsu
  • Ukita Marika from Futatsu no Spica
  • Nana from Elfen Lied
  • Azusagawa Tsukino from Yakitate!! Japan
  • Sakurai Honoka from Suzuka
  • Solty Revant from Solty Rei
  • Fujimura Hatoko ("Petoko") from PetoPeto-san
  • Sahara Kuguru from PetoPeto-san
  • Sahara Chochomaru from PetoPeto-san
  • Hitotsubashi Yurie from Kamichu!
  • Inoue Orihime from Bleach
  • Kuchiki Rukia from Bleach
  • Hinamori Momo from Bleach
  • Hasegawa Sora from Ah! My Goddess

I stick to my three nominations, but urge you to think about including all of these, for completeness.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:29 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
One thing that made me wonder about the definition of moe used in the SaiMoe tournament was that they appeared to have picked a number of characters who were more than capable of protecting themselves.

It has always seemed to me that a cardinal point of moe is that one should experience an urge to protect and nurture the object of moe. The object should be somehow frail or delicate or immature. Somehow, I can't see Shinku or Suigin Tou needing, or wanting, protection.

PantsGoblin's suggestion of Onodera Karen seems more in line with my idea of moe.

Of course, I recognise that the "protection" that might be implicit can be in the form of mature guidance, rather than physical protection. Certainly, Chise from SaiKano fits the bill of moe, despite her awesome powers. But in such a case, there has to be some degree of immaturity present. That is not the case with characters like Shinku or Suigin Tou.

Well, the definition of moe has become kind of twisted now. People seem to just to label things as moe if they find them attractive without considering what moe truely is. For the purposes of making more people participate, I'm going to include characters in the tournament even if the characters aren't really moe. If I were to limit the tournament exclusively only to characters that fit the true decription of moe, I don't think alot of people would participate unfortunetly.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:25 am Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:

Seconded. Let's post personal opinions on

1. Eligibility
2. Nomination procedure
3. Preliminaries, seeds (if necessary) and grouping
4. Voting procedure
5. Prevention of fraudulent or spamming votes

till the end of this week.

Really hungry now. Be right back after dinner. Anime smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:19 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Really hungry now. Be right back after dinner. Anime smile

Yes, you can't conquer the world on an empty stomach. Nyahahaah.

Remember:
Left row of beakers - experimental super-soldier DNA modification serum, with some bugs still to be worked out.
Right row of beakers - ultrahypernutrient solution, the "mad scientist's lunch".

Don't grab the wrong one by mistake - remember what happened to Dr. Jekyll. Smile

All kidding aside:

dormcat wrote:
1. Eligibility
2. Nomination procedure
3. Preliminaries, seeds (if necessary) and grouping
4. Voting procedure
5. Prevention of fraudulent or spamming votes

1. I think any character from anime ought to be eligible. I refuse to be bound by American releases, and I think it's silly to stick to only this year's releases. A character doesn't stop being moe just because time passes.

2. Nomination in this thread, discarding all suggestions that do not come with argumentation and reasoning, and with a strong suggestion that people limit themselves to three nominees.

3. (No opinion)

4. Voting in a separate thread, created for that purpose. One vote per head per round.

5. Hard to prevent, since people could simply create several fake accounts. I suggest that only user accounts created no later than yesterday (November 22, 2005) are eligible to vote. That will leave only a few duplicate accounts to watch for.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:00 am Reply with quote
1. While I do agree on not limiting licensed characters only, not limiting vintage can result tens of thousands possible nominees and will bring advantages to omnibus (e.g. Gundam series) and all-time masterpieces (e.g. heroines in Miyazaki's movies). The vintage limitation can be extented (say, 5-10 years), but I don't think it should be completely unlimited.

Another issue is about gender. While nominees of the original SaiMoe were all-female, we could include male characters, especially bishounen and shouta characters. However, I'm sure there would be someone who can't stand them being called as moe. I myself will go "Orz" if someone nominate any character in Sakigake!! Otoko Juku. Balancing acceptability and fairness could be very delicate.

2. I agree with "three nomination per user." Likewise, a character must receive at least three nominations to enter the tournament. An user can nominate up to two characters from the same title, or the votes can be sweeped by titles with numerous cute characters (e.g Negima and Gokujo Seitokai) like vacuum cleaners.

3. This really depends on how many nominees enter the final tournament. If the number is high, we'll have to divide them into different groups. Those who get highest nomination votes should be located in different groups to avoid early deathmatches. The first round match can have 2-3 nominees; all matches from second round and up should consist two nominees only, forming a 2^n tree. No grouping needed if the total number of nominees is less than 32 (2^5).

4. Each user can have one vote for each match. I'm not quite sure if the forum is the best way for voting, yet I'm not sure if this tournament is eligible for a poll either. Each match continues for 24 hours, and ballots are counted after each round. Words praising your beloved character(s) are welcomed; do not attack others' beloved character(s).

5. Only user accounts created no later than PantsGoblin's first post of this thread (Nov 23, 2005 08:30 am GMT) can vote.

Texts in red can be discussed and changed if necessary.

Oh, by the way, for those who don't know what this tournament was about, read this thread first.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:53 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
4. Each user can have one vote for each match. I'm not quite sure if the forum is the best way for voting, yet I'm not sure if this tournament is eligible for a poll either. Each match continues for 24 hours, and ballots are counted after each round. Words praising your beloved character(s) are welcomed; do not attack others' beloved character(s).

I sent a PM a while ago asking tempest if I could use the polls for something like this. No reply, I'll just have to use the forums for now.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:09 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
dormcat wrote:

I sent a PM a while ago asking tempest if I could use the polls for something like this. No reply, I'll just have to use the forums for now.

I don't think using the polls is a good idea. The polls are designed to support anonymous voting - and that opens up the possibility of ballot-stuffing, the way we saw it in the recent GothLoli fanart contest. That's just a can of worms we don't need to open. I prefer open voting by posts in a forum thread.

- abunai
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Well, I want to use the polls to draw more attention. As you can see within 12 hours, I have only gotten one person to give some suggestions. I know it hasn't been that long, but this thread doesn't seem to be that popular among regular posters.
Efan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:39 pm Reply with quote
We could have a round robin tourniment style compition. We randomly select 2 eleigible nominees and hold a voting session, the winner of each session will go on to face the winner of another session untill only 2 remain. Once a nominee loses a session they can no longer participate and are eliminated from the contest. Ties can go into another session for sudden death. I like the rules used in Dormcats post (ie: 24 hour voting time, and what not).
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:56 am Reply with quote
Well, now we don't have to worry about oversaturated nominees, for only five ANN users (and three of them are staff members) have ever paid attention to this thread. This is sad. Anime cry

abunai wrote:
I don't think using the polls is a good idea. The polls are designed to support anonymous voting - and that opens up the possibility of ballot-stuffing, the way we saw it in the recent GothLoli fanart contest.

Agreed. Obviously I didn't take that disadvantage into account.

abunai wrote:

I rewatched the Akiba-Oh tournament by TV Tokyo yesterday, and it introduced a more recent re-definition of a sub-genre of moe: tsuntsun deredere (ツンツンデレデレ), or tsundere (ツンデレ) for short.

This type of female protagonists are not new at all and can be in combination with other traits, notably osananajimi, classmates (class representative in particular), younger sisters, vampires, etc., but not compatiple with maids or Yamato Nadeshiko. NO tsundere character needs "protection;" in fact, male protagonists often need protection from their wrath. Anime smile + sweatdrop Yet, many fanboys find them "moe!"

Ah, too bad I shipped my Genshiken DVD back home. I want to verify if they use tsundere to describe Saki-chan when spoiler[she revealed her osananajimi-ship with Kohsaka].

Last edited by dormcat on Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9