• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Urusei Yatsura Anime Reveals More Cast, Visual for Final Arc

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wangen

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 2:09 am Reply with quote
So, Urusei Yatsura remake is nearing it's end...
It was filled with so many well known seiyu.

I wonder if they have in consideration to remake some other Rumiko's works.
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 4:09 am Reply with quote
Wangen wrote:

If they are they should remake ranma 1/2. Primarly cause unlike her other manga. That one never was fully adapted. I do not know the details exactly but it had something to do with the studio that make it sort of shutdown and as a result the final vols of the manga never got animated.

So if any other of her series that needs one. It is def that one.
Ebb1993

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 5:15 am Reply with quote
Please tell me it's gonna end like Urusei Yatsura 5: The Final Chapter (1988). Because I liked that movie despite having only seen it once.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 5:26 am Reply with quote
Remembering how the manga ended spoiler[With the entire town ready to lynch Ataru specifically because he wouldn't commit to a decision either way], I'm curious how new viewers will take it.
HueyLion

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 6:20 am Reply with quote
Thespacemaster wrote:
Wangen wrote:

If they are they should remake ranma 1/2. Primarly cause unlike her other manga. That one never was fully adapted. I do not know the details exactly but it had something to do with the studio that make it sort of shutdown and as a result the final vols of the manga never got animated.

So if any other of her series that needs one. It is def that one.

As much as I would love a Ranma 1/2 remake, I don't know how the jokes and you certain lewd scenes would hold up today...

Saying that, I don't know if they had to tone down the jokes in Urusei Yatsura as well.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 9:46 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Remembering how the manga ended spoiler[With the entire town ready to lynch Ataru specifically because he wouldn't commit to a decision either way], I'm curious how new viewers will take it.

I think it would be a let down.spoiler[ After all, there is no longer a love triangle.]. Why do a reboot, if you are not going to conclude the series properly. We all want to see the characters happy.
utawoutau

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 11:05 am Reply with quote
Wangen wrote:
As much as I would love a Ranma 1/2 remake, I don't know how the jokes and you certain lewd scenes would hold up today....

More so than that, I am absolutely sick and tired of the anime trope, “girl misunderstands situation and exacts over the top physical violence against a guy.” Ranma 1/2 is that trope personified. Big pass
merr

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 11:40 am Reply with quote
Obviously we’re getting Maris the Chojo and One-Pound Gospel reboots before anything else.
MyMasterMatthew

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 12:02 pm Reply with quote
This series has been on my list for a while, but I'm wondering how faithful the anime remake has been to the manga (i.e. does it cover everything, has the material been changed to match the taste of modern audiences, etc)?
Wangen

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Old jokes are overrated anyway.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Fitting in Yuichi Nakamura, Inorin, and Cho for the final arc? Awesome. Though also kind of ironic in light of the rumors Inorin has been talking smack about Sumippe online.

I'm not ready for this show to end or to not be able to watch Ataru, Lum, and the gang any more. But I guess I can watch the OG series.
LoopyChew
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 3:05 pm Reply with quote
[quote="MyMasterMatthew"]This series has been on my list for a while, but I'm wondering how faithful the anime remake has been to the manga (i.e. does it cover everything, has the material been changed to match the taste of modern audiences, etc)?[/quote]

I haven't read (much of) the source material nor watched (much of) the original anime, and I understand they've taken a selection of stories from the manga, but they have apparently rearranged some of the arcs, presumably for pacing reasons and fashioning coherent character progression in a classic Takahashi manga.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Every once in a while, I get a bit nostalgic for Ranma, and think about giving the anime another watch. And then one word rises up in my mind, and stops me from doing so.

That word is "Happosai."
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Don't know if I would want a reboot for Ranma 1/2. It really didn't have story like Urusei Yatsura. I am just glad it got that blu-ray release.
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
As much as I would love a Ranma 1/2 remake, I don't know how the jokes and you certain lewd scenes would hold up today...

Saying that, I don't know if they had to tone down the jokes in Urusei Yatsura as well.
Not really jokes, but some scenes were not shown. In both the manga and original anime series in flashback scenes both Ran and Lum were spanked with it happening to Ran multiple times by her mother and Lum was spanked once by her father after "playing" with his gun, and they are quite violent mostly due to the faces their parents make while doing it IMO. Also, the first episode in the new series removes Lum's bare nipples which again is in both the manga and OG series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2