• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Duo Tournament: RESULTS.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Best Duo Tournament Post-Mortem

Now that the tournament has finished, there are still a few things I'd like to discuss as this thread (presumably) falls from stickied status. Please consider and answer any or all of the following questions:

1. Is there anything you would like to see changed about the format of these tournaments from what we did this time around?

2. What titles were you inspired to watch due primarily to discussions in this tournament?

3. Given anime you have seen since the tournament started, are there any earlier cases where you might now vote differently (or any duo that you might support more/less) if this tournament was to be rerun?

4. Given anime you have seen since the nomination process ended, are there any duos you now think should have been considered that weren't?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ccdx

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Man, so close... oh well maybe next time Smile A big thanks to all that voted throughout the whole tournament. Whether it was every single round or only once, I greatly appreciate your participation. Of course special thanks goes out to Key for picking up hosting duties and providing a great duos guide. Also special thanks goes out to frentymon for the overall organization of the whole thing. Never would have gotten off the ground without his help.

In case anyone's interested, first place and the $150 top prize in the mini-game goes to Dorcas_Aurelia with final score of 153. Second place and $50 goes to Psycho 101 with a final score of 146. And finishing in third also with $50 is ManOfRust with a final score of 142.

I'm a bit busy with work stuff tonight, so official mini-game scores and final brackets will be posted sometime tomorrow night.

Cya all next time, I hope...
Key

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:38 pm Reply with quote
I'll start.

1. The next tournament will have at least brief participant profiles in a Guide from the beginning.

2. The ardent support for Figure 17 early on will probably eventually get me to take a look at that one.

3. Were we to redo the tournament, I probably would support Kamina and Simon from Gurren Lagann a whole lot more. I hadn't seen TTGL before the tournament started, but now having seen them in action together, they should have lasted until at least the third, if not the fourth, round.

4. One pair that I'm now convinced should have been included is Neviril and Aer from Simoun. They probably wouldn't have gotten terribly far, but the way they work through their troubles to ultimately become a very dedicated Pair is worthy of consideration.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bluebeard

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for everyone's work on the tournament! I had a lot of fun, and since the beginning of the tournament was really one of my first steps into anime I was able to discover several new titles through the discussions which I bought and enjoyed very much. Hopefully with the start of the next tournament I will now have had exposure to a larger number of series' so I can make more informed choices in my next bracket and will be more familiar with the individual contestants during the voting process.

As for specific series' that I picked up due to the tournament, I bought both Haibane Renmei and Koi Kaze blindly during TRSI's Geneon sale based on the discussion around them, and if I wouldn't have regretted having even paid full price for them. It may have also had some impact in my purchase of Ai Yori Aoshi but I forget exactly how I came to buy that. Also a great purchase in any case.

Just wished Chi & Hideki and Rock & Revy had advanced a little further Crying or Very sad
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:26 am Reply with quote
2) Haven't yet, but I'm encouraged to look into Figure 17, 12 Kingdoms, and Aoi Yori Aoshi. I'd heard of AYA before, but didn't have any decent impression. The other two, I don't think I'd even knew existed.

4) Balsa and Chagum of Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit. I thought of them somewhere into the second round. They might not have made it very far, but they're certainly better than some of the pairs that were knocked out in the first round, maybe even better than some of the third round duos in the weaker brackets.

Minigame related:
Chart showing score by round.
Chart showing ranking by round.

ManOfRust correctly predicted the winner 87 times (out of 127 possible) for a 68.5% success rate, Psycho and I tied in second, correctly choosing the winner 81 times. (Average was about 67 correct, or 52.46%)
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:43 am Reply with quote
I can't think of anything that should be changed with the tournament format - it runs very smoothly, and I liked the inclusion of summaries about each duo so that I could judge more accurately without having seen the anime.

I'm totally going to watch Kurau Phantom Memory because of this tournament, and I've been inspired to check out Witchblade as well. There were a few more titles in which this tournament piqued my interest, but those are the two major ones.

I'm gonna second Balsa and Chagum as a duo that I would have nominated had I seen Moribito before this tournament started. They probably could have lasted a few rounds, at least - they're stronger than a lot of the earlier duos, although probably not enough to make it to the semifinals or anything. I might also have suggested Akai and Yu from Oh! Edo Rocket, although I doubt they'd have made it particularly far. They still had wonderful, slimy chemistry, though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:14 am Reply with quote
I see that I was pretty much a flat line in the chart...that's what I get for being a massive fangirl and not seeing some of the series. I really have to watch more.

I wouldn't change a thing about the tournaments. The character guides are very helpful and I think that they should be continued.

As for the anime that I want to see due to this particular tournament, well that was Crest/Banner of the Stars. I'm not sure about KPM...I might consider it at a later date though.

And let me add my thanks for everyone who worked on making this tournament as fun as it has been.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:06 am Reply with quote
1. I wouldn't change anything in the tournament format. It's good the way it is.

2. I was inspired to watch Crest/Banner of the Stars and Kurau Phantom Memory, though I wasn't terribly impressed by Kurau Phantom Memory. Moreover, because of this tournament I'm going to check out Figure 17.

3. I would vote for Ahiru and Fakir instead of C.C&Lulu if this tournament was to be rerun.

4. Doujou Atsushi & Kasahara Iku from Toshokan Sensou and Kuhouin Murasaki & Kurenai Shinkurou from Kure-nai. They wouldn't have got far but I think they, especially Murasaki&Shinkurou as their relationship feels very natural, would be a far better choice than for example: Mayama&Ayu and some other earlier duos.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:19 am Reply with quote
1. Key's guide suggestion is definitely good. I also think that maybe the clips should have some explanation with them, at very least to tell you where they come in the series. I know I didn't really use them at all, because I didn't want to spoil myself for series I want to see, plus I don't find a clip without any surrounding context to be that useful.

2. I need to check out the anime from the two finalists. I also picked up the Saikano manga finally, though I had been eyeing it for awhile, and I'll definitely be looking into Kare Kano as well.

3. I would have given the Honey & Clover duo a bit more support had I seen farther in the anime, because I think the pair was stronger than most people gave it credit for. They still didn't deserve to go as far as they did, but IMO they weren't as weak as some people thought, myself at the time included.

4. I probably would have nominated a duo from Saiunkoku Monogatari, because it is my latest obsession. There may be a few others, but overall I was pretty happy with the duos we had.
guet

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:57 am Reply with quote
1. No major complaints. One minor gripe is that several good teams met a powerhouse early on and had no chance, while other weaker teams skated on for several rounds due to a lack of competition.

2. Several. If not for the tournament I would not have seen Ef- A Tale of Memories, Crest/Banner I-III, Solty Rei, and it would have taken me longer to watch Kurau Phantom Memory. (I would have eventually seen it, just not as soon as I did.) I've seen a few other series from the tournament (book club, etc) since then as well, but these are the ones that I actually wanted to see because of the tournament itself.

3. A few of my votes would have possibly changed in the early rounds, but I stand by most of my later choices, even the ones who lost when I don't think they should have.

4. I think some of the weaker pairs could have been replaced with some better choices, but I think the overall results would have been about the same regardless. I can't think of any final four teams that were left out off the top of my head.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:38 am Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
1. Key's guide suggestion is definitely good. I also think that maybe the clips should have some explanation with them, at very least to tell you where they come in the series. I know I didn't really use them at all, because I didn't want to spoil myself for series I want to see, plus I don't find a clip without any surrounding context to be that useful.

Yeah, I started to think about putting contextual comments in about the video clips in the late stages of the tournament (especially since I'd seen all of the series represented in the Elite Eight) but couldn't figure out a smooth way to do it, so I mostly did such comments in my voting. I'm going to look at reformatting the pairings slightly to allow for that in the next tournament.
velocet

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:02 am Reply with quote
1: As this is the first tournament I've participated in, I didn't see any issues that haven't been already resolved or are planned to be resolved (i.e. guide from round 1 next time) - in particular I'm glad the seeding was done, though in the match allocation next time, if one block looks particularly weak, perhaps a second shuffle might be a possibility?

2: Well, I watched Kurau: Phantom Memory, Kino's Journey and Gurren Lagann, but Kurau aside, the other two were mostly just related to my mood, more than comments here. Even then with Gurren Lagann, it was mostly just because I wanted to see a series which managed to spawn two duos worthy of nomination. There was plenty of series mentioned that I've been interested in for a while, but am even more interested in now though. Specifically Figure 17, but also Kaleido Star, Rose of Versailles, and Ergo Proxy, and though I can't say I'm really falling over myself to watch it, my impression of Witchblade has changed considerably. This tournament also made me want to re-watch a lot of series I've seen already.

3: Given the 3 series I've seen, though I can't remember exactly how I voted, I would have supported both GL pairs a lot more, I think, and supported Kino and Hermes a bit less. Though I quite enjoyed the latter's screen presence, I didn't find it to be quite as strong as the impression I was given from people's votes. Though I re-watched Haruhi after the defeat by the Kare Kano pair, and I wish I had done that sooner. Watching it for the second time really highlighted a lot of elements in Haruhi and Kyon's relationship (given that I was kind of thinking about it, in the back of my mind) and there was a lot more to them than I think they were given credit for. Still, at least they lost to a pair that carried on as far as they did!

4: None, really. None of the new series' I've seen during the tournament have really produced great duos or it's been re-watches.

As an aside, I'm so glad Kurau and Christmas won. Very Happy
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:
4. Doujou Atsushi & Kasahara Iku from Toshokan Sensou and Kuhouin Murasaki & Kurenai Shinkurou from Kure-nai. They wouldn't have got far but I think they, especially Murasaki&Shinkurou as their relationship feels very natural, would be a far better choice than for example: Mayama&Ayu and some other earlier duos.

I think those series didn't start airing until after the tournament itself had started. Whatcha gonna do?
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
2. What titles were you inspired to watch due primarily to discussions in this tournament?
Primarily ef ~a tale of memories~, but also Magic Knight Rayearth, Solty Rei, and Blue Gender. I've become more interested in seeing Vandread and Maison Ikkoku, though I had some interest in them before. I've also rethought my stance on Witchblade, from "won't watch" to "might watch."

As for different formatting, I thought this worked well. Maybe a little manipulation could be applied to the initial brackets to prevent older, lesser-known entrants (like the Rose of Versailles duo) from going up against hot new anime like the Ouran HSHC pair.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:43 pm Reply with quote
1. Just the common nitpick about brackets being seeded tragically so that top contenders face each other too early. On the other hand, that adds to the surprise and craziness to make it more exciting earlier, but some people may still be mourning Chii/Hideki, Lavie/Claus and Syaoran/Sakura, seed or no seed.

(I could have seen some really good arguments for Chii and Hideki in later rounds, but c'est la vie...Spike and Jet were just "cooler" to many because they didn't carry one note of sentimentalism. It's that Elric brothers vs. KPM thing all over again!)

2. I revisited Blue Gender and some of Utena. (That I could get ahold of anyway. I saw Kino's Journey, finished Full Metal Panic!, Crest of the Stars, and Kurau: Phantom Memory for the first time. I even did a book club thread on Kino, which I had been excited about because of the tourney, not the book club nominations. Smile

3. Weeeeeell, I still regret voting for Excel and Hyatt off the top over Jinto and Lafiel. But not as much as later voting for Van and Hitomi over them. At that point, I had seen only about four episodes of the series and thought they were REALLY a promising duo. Too bad it kind of stops there and Van and Hitomi don't really interact for the next few long stretches of the anime until the jarring, forced ending.

(Still love the show, but the relationship was a bit forced.)

4. I think the nominations process was rigorous enough that we didn't leave any really awesome duos out, but I will agree that Kamina and Simon should have had a nice running here, and they didn't get the opportunity because of low viewership.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 79 of 80