• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why are so many anime so committed to not making sense?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 8:23 am Reply with quote
Oh, I agree. The appeal of anime was precisely because it often approached storytelling and themes in a different way than I had been trained (heh) to appreciate by Western entertainment. However the flip side is that sometimes those differences also drive me nuts. I'll never make peace with the Japanese reticence to deal with romantic issues head on, for example. My Western training... okay, fine, my Western conditioning... is just too strong in that regard.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 9:28 am Reply with quote
Agreed, I've been shy all of my life. (My father announced when I was in grade school that "You're backwards about coming forwards") Japanese school kids make me feel like an outgoing extrovert. What drives me nuts is their willingness to go to the "and they all died" ending (Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop).
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 9:34 am Reply with quote
Something tells me you would not enjoy "All's Quiet on the Western Front" then... Wink
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, in high school I bought a book at a school book fare entitled "Those Devils in Baggy Pants". It follows a WWII US paratrooper through boot camp to North Africa, and into Italy as they fought all the way up the country. At the end a publishers note reveals that it was written (mostly transcribed) by his brother from a diary sent home with his personal effects. You could see the effects of the continued fighting on him. Initially he was witty and observant, by the last chapter the only thing of any importance was finding a pair of dry socks. A great book to give to anyone who thinks there is glory in war.
Metabee177

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 12:48 pm Reply with quote
gsilver wrote:
Right now, I'm watching Summertime Rendering with a group of people. We're in the final arc, where things have completely gone without the rails, and the events are basically a mad fever dream. While one could kinda-sorta piece together a metaphorical meaning for the happenings, the moment-to-moment actions are *deeply* in what is commonly referred to as "Anime bull____".

We've seen it many, many times before, especially in endings. What I'm wondering is, why? Why is it so common for anime/manga to be so deeply committed to making little to no logical sense?

//Not saying that STR is anywhere close to the most egregious in this regard, but it's certainly part of a trend.

Japanese mangaka are great artists and creative, but have always lacked the ability to write stuff that is grounded and makes sense lol
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2