• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Kojima: Project: Ogre Game Will Deal With Taboo Issues

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Taboo issues, eh? I'll admit to being a fan of incest stories so I'd like to see some of that in there, preferably brother/sister.

I hope Kojima's intentions pan out.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:35 pm Reply with quote
I don't think incest is really taboo in the realm of anime/manga.

It must be something really good.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Incest is pretty much the only taboo that exists in all cultures. What counts as incest is where it varies, though.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:08 am Reply with quote
Drakengard from Square Enix had Incest in it, of course they completely cut it out for the US release, I grow tired of this stupid double standard where the violence is so brutual its ridiculous at times, but God forbid, you have nudity, are some really taboo topic and it basically gets cut before hitting US , and often European shores.
CKSqua

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:12 am Reply with quote
It's going to be an open-world game.

I'm not sure what Kojima means by taboo issues. However, going by his past projects (military and sci-fi themed, which have the best chances of attracting a western audience), I'm thinking that they may be politically sensitive.
Amiantos

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:52 am Reply with quote
Hey Kojima lets stop doing these things and get to work on that long ZoE game you were talking about a long time ago. Then you can do these games along with your next metal gear game that you said you'd never do but are doing now.
blarg01

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:10 am Reply with quote
taboo issues = MGS FPS... >_>
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:19 am Reply with quote
They'll finally make fun of the Japanese monarchy! Laughing
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:23 am Reply with quote
It's clear what Kojima will do: Unmosaic shots of a Vagina in Japanese Media!!
naninanino

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:18 am Reply with quote
Amiantos wrote:
Hey Kojima lets stop doing these things and get to work on that long ZoE game you were talking about a long time ago. Then you can do these games along with your next metal gear game that you said you'd never do but are doing now.

*stands firm alongside this comment*
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:22 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Taboo issues, eh? I'll admit to being a fan of incest stories so I'd like to see some of that in there, preferably brother/sister.

Same with me. I'm also a huge fan myself when it comes to this topic ( With Aki Sora , Angel Sancutary , Koi Kaze & Vampire Knight as my fav series of this topic ).

Not to mentioned a big time fan of Kojima ( wich was primarly the main reason i gave zone of the enders a try when it came out for the PS2 ), but even I think this project wont fit for the Wii U.

Prople was already cringing with the Wiimote already.Myself included.

and of course though it have M rated games, nintendo i still mainly a family friendly company and i can only imagine the backlash from parental advocates if a game with " taboo issuses " is on the Wii U. Kojima project or not.

Though i really really hope his intentions come out and this project is as successful as metal gear and zone of the enders, it wont work for any of nintendo's consoles,unless they get rid of their kid and family friendly image.

CKSqua wrote:
It's going to be an open-world game.

I'm not sure what Kojima means by taboo issues. However, going by his past projects (military and sci-fi themed, which have the best chances of attracting a western audience), I'm thinking that they may be politically sensitive.

You might have a point here.

Especially if it's related to 9/11 and other politically sensitive issuses.

though if their gonna make that the issuse, he would make the first black US president the anti chirst or something like that which WILL PISS OFF a lot of black people in the US ( FYI I'm black as well,but i'm more open minded than others )

Or they might be made to take cheap shots at the current presidental candates or former GOP presidents which will definitely upset the far right.

Though my examples are only a guess it's a prime example of what the project might face if their going to go to te politically sensitive path.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
shukero

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

TitanXL is right, in Japanese culture Incest has Hardly been considered taboo for the longest time; although more recently it has come into the spotlight a bit. But it hasn't been enough to consider this "taboo" as what westerner's interpret as taboo; Japanese culture considers "weird" or "strange".

What I'm guessing is something much much more grotesque; like for instance guro; I could see where Kojima could use a boss that's both into mutilation and sexuality inside of that subject. But that's just my personal opinion.

blarg01 wrote:
taboo issues = MGS FPS... >_>

Didn't MGS4 and snake eater already have FPS parts to them? I would bet money that you will never see a true FPS from Kojima as he's always liked strategic and thought provoking games rather than "run and guns".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:06 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
Drakengard from Square Enix had Incest in it, of course they completely cut it out for the US release, I grow tired of this stupid double standard where the violence is so brutual its ridiculous at times, but God forbid, you have nudity, are some really taboo topic and it basically gets cut before hitting US , and often European shores.

To be fair, Japan had also some weird double standard censorship. A lot of games on console that has nudity has to be censored. I believe God of War, Heavy Rain, and Mafia 2 has been censored in Japan for nudity. Also Saint Rows 3 had the purple bat modified because anything phallic on console is not acceptable. Yet Japan has no problem with these festival.

Sunday Silence wrote:
It's clear what Kojima will do: Unmosaic shots of a Vagina in Japanese Media!!

If that's possible, then Kojima will be a true hero in Japan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:45 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:

That there I never knew. Talk about double standard in spades.

Hopefully it wont be the case for Kojima's project, though i have my feelings that his taboo issuses is probably gonna be like i said before. Either a political contorversy , or something extremely racial which still exists in the US.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:00 pm Reply with quote
There is a difference between the taboo and the politically incorrect.

There's no real political topics that are off limits to everyone. Plenty of video games, movies, etc, deals with unsavoury politics. Same with racism. While people are discouraged from being racist, having a racist character isn't seen as something you should never do.

Stuff like that certainly wouldn't be in danger of being left out of the game. Unless perhaps Kojima is planning to having pro-corruption and pro-racist messages. I could see that being considered taboo.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2