• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Spring The Pain

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 2:54 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:

No, there's something more there than in other places of the internet, and it's not simply higher concentration of idiocy.

You probably don't care enough to find out, so just take my word for it.

To put it into a physics metaphor, 4chan (especially parts of it like /a/) has somehow undergone a phase transition from gas (random) to plasma (chaos). The turbulence of plasma is somehow ordered.
Although it looks random the randomness arises naturally from set equations.
It's fascinating to me (and many others) and you can trivialize it as "not complicated" all you want if that makes you feel better for not understanding it.

I understand all of this.

There are patterns in the id-vomiting and it goes through changes over time, changes in accepted behavior, changes in groupthink. I don't look at 4chan and think "random" at all - follow any of it long enough and you'll see where behavior started, how it became normalized and eventually outcast. Other patterns emerge. It isn't some big swirling mystery, nor is it random. Once you understand the patterns and the behavior, a lot of it becomes white noise, sure, but then that noise changes signal and becomes something else.

I'm not trying to trivialize it but please stop acting as though it's this incredibly complex thing that only geniuses like yourself could possibly understand.
jl07045

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
I'm not trying to trivialize it but please stop acting as though it's this incredibly complex thing that only geniuses like yourself could possibly understand.

No one is doing that. Obviously people may take pride in belonging to a group, but what is said here is that you'll need to spend some time in that place to understand how it works, which is true about pretty much any subculture that significantly deviates from the mainstream in behaviour.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 3:48 pm Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
No one is doing that. Obviously people may take pride in belonging to a group, but what is said here is that you'll need to spend some time in that place to understand how it works, which is true about pretty much any subculture that significantly deviates from the mainstream in behaviour.

Right, this isn't "elitism" so much as an acknowledgement that different social groups have different expectations, and 4chan (or more specifically, /a/, since different parts of 4chan have very different social expectations) is one of the more complex, and chaotic, to learn.

I haven't even actively posted on, or even visited, /a/ in over two years. I just couldn't handle it anymore.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 6:09 pm Reply with quote
4chan, and espcially /a/, isn't that complex. it's a bunch of people getting into conversations that frequently devolve into flame wars because the guise of anonymity basically shreds people's respect for others into pieces.

Being a model /a/ poster ain't that hard, you just have to hate your own culture , venerate Japan's culture as the best no matter what, and hate good anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 15 of 15