• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Stratos Update

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:28 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
I love Adventure Time.

To each their own I guess. I still don't see what the appeal is in that show though.
dragon695

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:51 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
dragon695 wrote:
I don't get why IS is not perishable. Oh well. I'm sure a certain someone would have more to say on the subject, though.

I'm not sure who you're talking about... but this release of IS isn't perishable. It has BD's, a dub, a soundtrack, and Japanese extras. There's not much more you could ask for (except keychains or a chipboard box). If it came on a shitty spindle pack with no dub it might have fallen into Perishable.

A polished turd is still a turd. Trying to mix a harem romcom with mecha was just plain stupid. But from my count, you gave it three strikes, that is why I wondered why it isn't out.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:58 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
dragon695 wrote:
I don't get why IS is not perishable. Oh well. I'm sure a certain someone would have more to say on the subject, though.

I'm not sure who you're talking about... but this release of IS isn't perishable.

I... think he's referring to dtm42 in Theron's review of Infinite Stratos who had a LOT to say about that show. In fact, too much to say. Kinda makes me relieved that I still haven't seen Rahxephon beyond the few episodes I saw on G4TechTv's Anime Unleashed block if it means having an opposite opinion about that show and thus ticking him off. But I digress.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Why are you people watching IS in the first place, its a harem show for harem fans? If you like harem in generally, then its a pretty good harem, if you dont like harem of course you wont like it. But as someone who loves harem, imo IS is one of the better harems made i a while. Well not as good as DxD, but well nothing you can do about that. Plenty of female characters pleasing to the eye, decent action scenes, some fanservice, and imo a very good soundtrack.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:35 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:

A polished turd is still a turd. Trying to mix a harem romcom with mecha was just plain stupid. But from my count, you gave it three strikes, that is why I wondered why it isn't out.

Its entirely possible to mix those two things.

IS just does it badly.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:08 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
And especially after Ah! My Goddess' recent reveal on the origin of impotent male leads, there's even more reason to dislike that sort of male character in harem shows. AMG has now given a reason for why Keiichi has no usable testicles, the rest of these shows are just copying that formula but with no explanation than "nice guy syndrome". My patience for them is has dried up; Mahiro from Nyaruko gets a pass due to Nyaruko's offputting pushy persistence, and that she's an abomination from beyond the stars.

Oh? I'm pretty far behind OMG but I still pick it up during the appropriate sales at RightStuf. Could you let me know where about this info is provided? One of the reasons I put it down was that it was getting a bit repetitive and I was tired of Keiichi and Belldandy's relationship going no where. So I would at least like to see the in universe justification for it as opposed to it being just to keep the story going.
sonryu

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Raikuro wrote:
I wonder why that shelf has so many doubles. I'd understand getting re-releases, but those are the exact same collections.
I have customers that shop in my store that buy two of everything. One guy is just nuts, he buys one to open and watch, one to leave sealed, no reasoning for it whatsoever. Another customer does the same, but she says she's just buying a backup so that if one has a problem, she'll have another one ready. Either way, buying doubles of the same exact thing to me is a complete waste of money. But to each their own; if nothing else, they're helping the economy more lol
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
notazaku

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:32 pm Reply with quote
As far as harem anime go IS was at best pretty average but I still ended up enjoying it, probably more so than I should have. One thing IS did though was it handled the serious crisis that usually comes at the end of a lot of harem anime better than most. At least in a show like IS it didn't feel awkwardly out of place.

I do agree that Charlotte is the best or at least most interesting character in the show. Although I did really like Houki for some reason. Maybe I just like childhood friends with anger issues. Her sister Tabane though was another interesting character. The show could have used more of her.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:40 pm Reply with quote
notazaku wrote:
Her sister Tabane though was another interesting character. The show could have used more of her.

I like how, with just a bit of thought about the clues the show provides, and the implications of them if true, you realize that Tabane is, in fact, a complete psychopath.

With bunny ears.

Last edited by Fencedude5609 on Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:31 am; edited 1 time in total
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Infinite Stratos is a solid, if unspectacular, harem anime. It was easily outclassed by Zombie in the same season though, and I have no idea why most people prefer Stratos over it, but its not terrible or anything.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:10 am Reply with quote
So Princess Jellyfish is the highlight of the week, it seems.

Nerdgirls will be happy to hear that not all guys respond positively to the glammed-up look. High heels and fashionable clothes usually make my opinion of someone drop a few notches Shocked
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:14 am Reply with quote
I really enjoyed Princess Jellyfish myself. Smile It sounded good so I bought it when I caught it on sale on Amazon. It was so good, I was sad to see it end. I know the manga continues onward in the story. If only they'd make a new season of the anime; I'm soo game.

Tales of the Abyss. I own it all now; haven't really watched the DVDs...I watched it as fansubs thinking it was never to be licensed, but it did and was happy to add it to my Tales collection. I know the ending though, and the game is so much more expansive w/ all the skits. The anime has no volcano stripping, no "curing Guy", but hey, I have it and love it as the anime adaption.

The other one... haven't seen it. Seems meh to me. There are some harem anime I like but, ya know....
tsutsugamushi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:42 am Reply with quote
Actually, the best aspect of the "makeover" theme in Princess Jellyfish is how quickly all of the nuns shed their fancy clothes and go right back to their ratty old sweatpants. Much more realistic, and therefore interesting, than your usual hollywood movie or romance novel. They're not losers waiting for the right pair of high heels to transform them. They're perfectly happy being themselves and swooning over elderly gentlemen and train models.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:39 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Oh? I'm pretty far behind OMG but I still pick it up during the appropriate sales at RightStuf. Could you let me know where about this info is provided? One of the reasons I put it down was that it was getting a bit repetitive and I was tired of Keiichi and Belldandy's relationship going no where. So I would at least like to see the in universe justification for it as opposed to it being just to keep the story going.

It's a revelation in the most recent chapter (285), so I don't know how long it'll be until you see it in print here.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:40 am Reply with quote
superdry wrote:

I remember asking about that elsewhere and found it really silly that she was the only character not given an accent. Either you give give accents to all the foreign characters or none at all. Unless, it was written that she spent a significant amount of time in Canada or the US before going to the school, but I don't think that happened.

Perhaps she spent a significant amount of time in Japan, given that she was a childhood friend of Ichika. (Don't forget that the Japanese characters also didn't have accents).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5