• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Responds About 'Adult Swim' Tags on Panty & Stocking Videos

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lostrune

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:56 pm Reply with quote
This is a show you pretty much have to watch subbed for the Engrish. I'm more surprised people actually WANT an edited dub for a change... Maybe that's why it's the ultimate parody of western animation.. it attracts the casual fans who also like western animation that only watch edited dubs on TV Laughing This just got meta.
chao8971

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:47 pm Reply with quote
When I went to Animazement this year I remember at the Funimation panel they were talking about a petition to get Panty and Stocking on Adult Swim. I just figured they tagged it with that in part of that.
Juno016

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:26 pm Reply with quote
lostrune wrote:
This is a show you pretty much have to watch subbed for the Engrish. I'm more surprised people actually WANT an edited dub for a change... Maybe that's why it's the ultimate parody of western animation.. it attracts the casual fans who also like western animation that only watch edited dubs on TV Laughing This just got meta.

I'm interested in both. They will likely pander to respective audiences, and I may not be a big fan of horrifyingly explicit English, but it feels VERY fitting in this series, so I'm definitely interested in hearing it. I'd recommend people watch both if they like the show enough. =3
Yoda117

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:

I'm interested in both. They will likely pander to respective audiences, and I may not be a big fan of horrifyingly explicit English, but it feels VERY fitting in this series, so I'm definitely interested in hearing it. I'd recommend people watch both if they like the show enough. =3

I've only seen about 3 - 5 minutes of this show, but based on everything it reminds me of "Ghost Stories" in that due to all the cultural references, the English dub had to deviate enough that if you were watch the original Japanese and then the English you'd basically have watched two different episodes.

When done well, that can be comedy gold.
Juno016

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Yoda117 wrote:
Juno016 wrote:

I've only seen about 3 - 5 minutes of this show, but based on everything it reminds me of "Ghost Stories" in that due to all the cultural references, the English dub had to deviate enough that if you were watch the original Japanese and then the English you'd basically have watched two different episodes.

When done well, that can be comedy gold.

I'm not sure if it "deviates" from the Japanese enough that it turns it into a completely different show... at least, to the extent that "Ghost Stories" did. I'd say that the show used a particular drive in which... accurate or not, the way they made the English dub was just about the only equivalent I could imagine to the Japanese that wouldn't make the English version sound horribly awkward. I mean, the series is meant to be explicit and wacky... and completely ridiculous. That's... kinda what the English version is.

Though I could do without some of the cheesy, overused jokes that weren't just NOT in the Japanese version, but... just didn't sound funny at all to me. Like, saying a punchline... and then saying it again to emphasize it. At that point, the only one laughing again will be yourself. At least, that's how I felt during some of the episodes/clips I've seen already.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4