• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (TV) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:48 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

The scene at the "grave" of the "thing" just didn't feel as important as it did in the manga. It's funny, though, that if I didn't read the manga, I'd probably have thought this scene was just a big "screw you" to the first series, since Pinako even mentions that the bones are that of a man.

nah, that comes when all the heroes call Equivalent Exchange (one of the main themes of the first series) utter crap.
Dune

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Don’t forget that the previous show spent much of its time deconstructing Equivalent Exchange; even in the prologue, Alphonse described it as a past belief.

Anyway, 19 did its job, more or less, it provided action. I still prefer episode 14 to this one, but this was ok too. While I still believe Ed’s excursion to Xerxes would be better placed after Lust’s defeat, the arrival of Hohenheim made for a nice cliffhanger.

-Loved the part when Alphonse stood up to Lust. Good character moment there.
-I was delighted that the fight with the Xingese was moved to a future episode. I mentioned this earlier, but I didn’t like this part in the manga. Aside from Greed, this is the first time anyone’s truly fought the Homunculi, so to have them spoiler[taken down extremely easily by total strangers] was a letdown.
-I agree with Kpk about Brotherhood overdoing, well, everything. From the timing to the facial expressions to the music editing… Also, I hate comedy that depends on.. uh, ‘boob’ sound effects. There wasn’t any setup to it either, it was just kinda there. No thanks.
-The artwork is hit-or-miss in this show; Sometimes the colors seem washed out and the characters seem overly pale; although, that look seems to work best when the characters are in brighter environments (Xerxes ruins, the white room at Lab 3, etc). The preview images for episode 21 up at Random Curiosity (1,2,3) look great, I wish every episode had characters looking like that. Definitely better use of shadow.
-The exposition at Roy’s reappearance is one of those things that (arguably) works in a comic book, but doesn’t in a TV show. I wish they cut some of that, especially since it comes at the expense of the neat comeback line “You’re finally on your knees, Homunculus”. Looking forward to the Funimation version, and I hope the dub makes the dialogue in general go down a bit smoother.
-Speaking of which, the dub for the Universal Studios ride had a nice ‘preview’ of Roy attacking Lust in English.
-One thing that confused me: How do you transmute water, I thought you needed a circle? Or can Roy’s glove somehow work on water too?

-Looks like I was wrong, and that episode 23 is the spoiler[Scar/Winry scene]. So, disregard what I said about that.

(Trying not to explicitly reference the previous show… To be honest I still prefer some of its weaker episodes to the best of Brotherhood, though Brotherhood may still improve in the future. Technically I think Brotherhood deserves some of the blame for these (inevitable?) comparisons, since it’s a recent reboot and the show wavered between ‘Let's not reestablish emotional connections that the audience became familiar with via the old show' and ‘This is a totally different production so we have to reestablish plotpoints despite the old show'. Now that we’re in manga-only material this isn’t so much a problem, but it’s totally understandable that people have been left confused regarding who this show is directed towards, and whether they’re supposed to acknowledge the previous series. Anyway would it be better to have a separate thread comparing the two shows?)
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:21 pm Reply with quote
I noticed another thing about Ed and Hohenheim scene at the grave in episode 20.

Edward doesn't seem as angry in the episode as he is in the manga, where he's really going at Hohenheim for abandoning the family. And that's when we get Hohenheim muttering to himself and Ed getting frustrated that Hohenheim isn't even paying attention.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Dune wrote:
Don’t forget that the previous show spent much of its time deconstructing Equivalent Exchange; even in the prologue, Alphonse described it as a past belief.

Yeah, even though she was the antagonist, I couldn't really disagree with most of spoiler[Dante's] remarks on how EE was a flawed concept.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Dune wrote:

(Trying not to explicitly reference the previous show… To be honest I still prefer some of its weaker episodes to the best of Brotherhood, though Brotherhood may still improve in the future.

Stop watching this show

Stop watching anime in general because you have seen the greatest thing in human endeavor apparently.

Nothing you will see will match the greatness of the first anime and will only pale in the beauty of the time where Archer comes back as a cyborg.
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Dune wrote:

(Trying not to explicitly reference the previous show… To be honest I still prefer some of its weaker episodes to the best of Brotherhood, though Brotherhood may still improve in the future.

Stop watching this show

Stop watching anime in general because you have seen the greatest thing in human endeavor apparently.

Nothing you will see will match the greatness of the first anime and will only pale in the beauty of the time where Archer comes back as a cyborg.

Start thinking of both as differente existences and stop making comparisons then all this fighting over whichever was better would be gone.

Edit: Don't take me badly but the topic says "Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (w/ index)." In other words it's not saying Fullmetal Alchemist x Brotherhood and everytime I want to discuss about the ongoing episodes all I see is people comparing both instead of talking about the good and bad points or why they like/disliked Brotherhood.

Edit 2: Fixed bold text.

Last edited by egoist on Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:39 pm Reply with quote
All I am saying is that either FMA is the greatest anime ever creator or Brotherhood is the worst anime ever created if episode 19 of Brotherhood is worse than the episode wear Al's body get's lost and he ends up in the hands of some kid who tries to wear him.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight has shed the shell of subtle trolling and is slumming in obvious trolling.

Also, Archer wasn't a cyborg per se, that was automail. Just very impractical, improbable automail.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:03 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Charred Knight has shed the shell of subtle trolling and is slumming in obvious trolling.

Also, Archer wasn't a cyborg per se, that was automail. Just very impractical, improbable automail.

Except for a sarcasm laden post I have yet to insult anyone. There is no anime so good that a couple of episodes are not going to be bad.

Also how the hell is having half your body in Automail not a cyborg?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
There is no anime so good that a couple of episodes are not going to be bad.

Apparently, you've never seen Legend of the Galactic Heroes. 110 episodes, not a single bad one.

Er, in my opinion.

But yeah, there were certainly bad episodes in the first FMA series, or at least less-than-stellar ones. I've only noticed a couple of them in the new one.
amarielah

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
All I am saying is that either FMA is the greatest anime ever creator or Brotherhood is the worst anime ever created if episode 19 of Brotherhood is worse than the episode wear Al's body get's lost and he ends up in the hands of some kid who tries to wear him.

I actually thought that was a pretty good episode. It's the one where spoiler[Edward meets a war veteran], and it has a lot of important character development. Sure, Al was sort of in the background, but it was still pretty good.

If you really want to point to a mediocre episode, the one with Psyren is much more appropriate. The episode with Majhal even more so. Heck, even the Youswell mines episode (which wasn't filler, but which adapted one of the less entertaining chapters from the manga) would be a better example of mediocrity.

Though I do agree that episode nineteen is better than all of those. None of them were spectacular.

Last edited by amarielah on Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:12 am; edited 2 times in total
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:29 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Except for a sarcasm laden post I have yet to insult anyone. There is no anime so good that a couple of episodes are not going to be bad.

Well, all I know is you keep on "forgetting" to use spoiler tags. Thankyou for that, I really wanted to know all that about Archer... Yes, that was sarcasm.

Some of us haven't read the Manga; I'm one of them. So; if I see another post that has a future spoiler untagged or tagged but without a note outside the tag saying it is a future spoiler and not something that just happened (takes deep breath), I'm reporting it. That goes for everyone, not just you.

If you (and I mean "you" in the general sense) want to talk about the Manga, you're in the wrong sub-forum let alone the wrong thread. If you want to talk about how the two series relate to one another, you could make a specific thread to keep this one tidy and free of all those arguments. If you want to talk about what's coming up (or what you think is coming up) in this series because of events in the Manga, then use the tags appropriately. It isn't rocket science you know.
Dune

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:43 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
There is no anime so good that a couple of episodes are not going to be bad.

I never claimed otherwise.

For the record I’m enjoying Brotherhood, just not yet at the level of the previous show or the manga. This show has its fair share of positives: mostly good animation that’s fluid and colorful, some useful plot decisions (I much prefer how Brotherhood handles the Xingese, and Edward figuring out about spoiler[Hughes’s death] by himself is possibly the best version of that particular moment to date); it’s mostly the execution of scenes that turn me off. Like the editing of music, the pacing, the abrupt SD choices, etc. But as I said, this show’s been improving, so my impression of it may very well elevate in the future.

Edit- Ok, spoiler tags just in case. (Btw should past events like that still count as spoilers?)

Edit 2- How about this, I started a separate thread for comparisons between the two series:

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=815672#815672
RhymesWithEmpty

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:12 am Reply with quote
Episode 20 was...meh. I watched it after having done homework all through the night, bypassing sleep, and that was, like, 2 days ago, so maybe I should check it out again, but my opinion seems to be reflected in other people's comments, so I'll stick with it, heh.

Just like some previous episodes, a lot of it just felt like they were checking off bullet points when writing this. I was hoping this wouldn't happen once we got into the "new" material. Hoenheim is one of my favorite characters, and really shines in the manga, imo - I don't dislike the 1st anime's Hoenheim, but I like the manga's version of him much more, so it stinks to see something that could really help set them apart basically get rushed out the door. Sure, it's only his first appearance, but I'd say it's a fairly important one, spend some time exploring it! Penguintruth nailed it, he just comes off as a big jerk in the grave yard. I wonder if they were just trying to make him seem more shady, since they cut the whole Father confronting the homunculi bit that preceded this in the manga. It wouldn't have taken incredibly long to fully adapt Hoenheim's bits, really. But even more than that, I think they just didn't portray his personality of being kind of aloof yet forlorn at the same time. I appreciate that they kept the scene with him reaching out towards Ed and then withdrawing, and asking for the photo, but that's still kind of bare minimum.

The scene with Ed and Pinako digging up the remains of what he and Al transmuted that night was done well, but I do feel like they rushed to slide it in before the commercial break, which hurts it, I think. Still, I'll say that it did give me chills. And I am very happy that they left his call to Izumi in afterwards, her thanking him towards the end has always been one of my favorite little bits.

But y'know, I kind of feel bad for Pinako, too. She's a minor character, but she's in a lot... well, ok, not a lot, but a few of poignant little scenes that tend to get chopped up. It may not seem like a lot is being omitted, but I think little moments like those really help to define the characters and give them some depth. I really wish this series would just stop and ruminate on some scenes like this for once, instead of just shaving them down to bare bones and speeding them along.

And yeah, as it was said earlier, the 2nd half of the episode, and the whole renewal of vows thing...man, it seems like they do that every episode, and it's really starting to give that typical shounen show kinda vibe. They should've cut down on the 2nd half to give Hoenheim, and even Pinako, more screen time. There tried to put too much in this episode anyways, I think - if I hadn't read the manga, I feel like I would be rather confused by all of the stuff about Al's memory, and his body, and his flashbacks, and all of that. And the music towards the end didn't quite fit, either.

All in all, I think this episode had a few good things about it, but could've been vastly better. It could've been one of my favorite episodes, I think, but, yeah, it's missed that boat. I think the reordering of previous events has started to negatively affect things, unfortunately. Well, whatever, looks like a bit of action next week, which is what they've been excelling at, so it should be good.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dune

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:37 am Reply with quote
Is anybody else having trouble playing the video at Funimation's website? I can't tell if it's just me.

Edit- silly me, only Internet Explorer was giving me problems.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 49 of 64