• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Debuts on Funimation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
braves

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:16 pm Reply with quote
jonindarkrai wrote:
Im confused spoiler[didn't mass huges die in the last series how did he beoome alive again. and theve alrady meat to. Help someone help me understand this.]

Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

This is a reboot of the franchise, not a continuation of the original anime series. Why have they meet already? Well, I'm guessing that this filler episode is supposed to take place after they meet in the manga, but I'm not really sure where this one falls in the timeline.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kalessin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:19 pm Reply with quote
jonindarkrai wrote:
Im confused spoiler[didn't mass huges die in the last series how did he beoome alive again. and theve alrady meat to. Help someone help me understand this.]

This series is a remake that is intended to follow the manga more closely than the previous series. It's a total reboot. Some of the events in the previous series will happen again. Some won't. In either case, it's a brand new show with no relation to the last one.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:33 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
jonindarkrai wrote:

Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

This is a reboot of the franchise, not a continuation of the original anime series. Why have they meet already? Well, I'm guessing that this filler episode is supposed to take place after they meet in the manga, but I'm not really sure where this one falls in the timeline.

Well, it looks like you were quicker than me at responding. In any case, it looks likely that the first episode of the new FMA replaces the Lior episodes. IIRC, the folks in Lior don't actually return in the manga like they do in the old anime, so skipping it doesn't matter that much. Lior served as a good opening with some good descriptions of alchemy and philosopher's stones and such, and it had some awesome action. This time around, they chose to skip the explanations and go straight to the action. And while I think that the result is inferior to the original story, it still works. In any case, it likely won't be long before we're basically following the manga. They likely just wanted to avoid showing the exact same story again. After all, the Lior episodes were quite close to the manga. In general, we're likely to see more deviation from the original manga in the first portion of the story because the original anime followed a fair amount of it without a lot of deviation. So, we're bound to see some deviation initially. However, once they get to the point that the original anime deviated from the manga, they won't have the problem of repeating what was in the original anime and will be able to follow the manga more closely without repeating everything.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Like most people, It feels wrong to me when listening to the Japanese audio, but I am going to sit through it anyway because I want to see how the new series runs.

And if I'm not mistaken, FUNimation's website said in the article announcing that they were going to be streaming this show in subs that they gained the rights for North American distribution. (Link: http://www.funimation.com/f_index.cfm?page=news&id=553 ) Now, doesn't that mean they can add English audio? Or am I mistaken?
Kalessin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:51 pm Reply with quote
R315r4z0r wrote:
Like most people, It feels wrong to me when listening to the Japanese audio, but I am going to sit through it anyway because I want to see how the new series runs.

And if I'm not mistaken, FUNimation's website said in the article announcing that they were going to be streaming this show in subs that they gained the rights for North American distribution. (Link: http://www.funimation.com/f_index.cfm?page=news&id=553 ) Now, doesn't that mean they can add English audio? Or am I mistaken?

Distribution rights themselves doesn't really say anything about whether they can dub it, but I'm unaware of any case where a studio gained distribution rights to a show but not dub rights (unless you're talking about an R1 studio distributing anime for another R1 studio). They'll dub it eventually, but that takes time. In addition, they're bound to want to show the dub on Adultswim, so it's less likely that they'll stream the whole thing dubbed at funimation.com at this point anyway.

We'll probably get the dub on Adultswim later this year and the first DVDs either at the end of the year or the beginning of next year.
bayoab

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Altorrin wrote:

The point is, indeed, to stick closer to the manga. Episode 1 isn't from the manga because they knew that people who saw the first anime would get bored watching the Lior arc again, with minor changes (whoop dee do. This time he turns a flower into a bigger flower rather than wine into more wine. That doesn't warrant redoing the whole episode, contrary to what some fans believe).

Regarding Lior: spoiler[It is confirmed they will be doing the Lior arc again.]

Kalessin wrote:

Well, it looks like you were quicker than me at responding. In any case, it looks likely that the first episode of the new FMA replaces the Lior episodes. IIRC, the folks in Lior don't actually return in the manga like they do in the old anime, so skipping it doesn't matter that much.

It more likely that it replaces the train chapter/episode. See the spoiler above. Also, very minor manga spoiler about Lior: spoiler[Lior is revisited later.]
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:

Well, it looks like you were quicker than me at responding. In any case, it looks likely that the first episode of the new FMA replaces the Lior episodes. IIRC, the folks in Lior don't actually return in the manga like they do in the old anime, so skipping it doesn't matter that much.

To explain things a little better time line wise this first episode supposedly happens before the events of where the manga actually begins (Lior that is). Also if you notice in the first episode of this Ed & Al complain that Roy made them miss their train to Lior.

Also Lior is important in the manga but I won't say more.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Kalessin wrote:

To explain things a little better time line wise this first episode supposedly happens before the events of where the manga actually begins (Lior that is). Also if you notice in the first episode of this Ed & Al complain that Roy made them miss their train to Lior.

Also Lior is important in the manga but I won't say more.

Well, I've only been reading the US releases of the manga, so if they haven't gotten to Lior's importance yet, then I won't have read it. And even if they did, the volumes come out so far apart that I've completely forgotten where they were when I go to read the next volume, so for all I know they've already done something with Lior. My memory's good, but there's enough going on in FMA and I get new material so infrequently, that it's hard to retain it all.
Shattered Ishida

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:42 am Reply with quote
Just finished watching the first episode of the new FMA. Wow!!! I loved it. Although I was a bit confused about the first episode until I read some of the post in the forum here. I'm reading the manga online (currently up to date and waiting for the next chapter) and don't recall this in it. I guess it makes sense to start clean and not repeat the first episode of the original series.

As for the karaoke style in the opening and closings, I like it. I'm one of those "idiots" who does like to sing to the songs even if they are in Japanese. And no, I don't speak or understand Japanese.

I agree with everyone on being used to the American voice actors. It just wasn't the same for the without Vic and Liam, lol. Can't wait for this to come out in dub. This is definitely going into my collection when they come out with the box sets. Laughing
jsc315

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:32 am Reply with quote
The only problem i had was the damn short jokes again! Seriously how many times are we going to go through this. It wasn't funny the first time it wont be funny the 1000th time. This is the only thing that has ever bothered me about FMA and sadly this awful unfunny joke will more then like be done to death.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shattered Ishida

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:56 am Reply with quote
The short jokes are in the manga as well. They a part of Ed's character. Ed wouldn't be Ed if he didn't blow up when he heard anything pertaining to small, lol.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:57 am Reply with quote
Actaully it's Vic and Aaron.
Pork Cracklins

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:05 am Reply with quote
I'm one of the few who prefer the original Japanese voices since that's what I got used to way back when I followed the fansubs of the original show. To me the English voices feel wrong but they are by no means bad.

As for the first episode of this new series, I liked it. Speaking as someone who loves both the original show and the manga, I'm looking forward to following this new show.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:09 am Reply with quote
What? The short jokes get funnier and funnier every time I see Ed explode.

That and mistaking Al for Ed.
Shattered Ishida

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:25 am Reply with quote
mglittlerobin wrote:
Actaully it's Vic and Aaron.

Brain fade on my part, lol. I don't know why I thought Liam O'Brian was in this. Thank you for the correction.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6