• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Euro Trip

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Echo_City

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:44 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Shippoyasha wrote:
Yuru Yuri is indeed pretty great. It takes a premise and does fairly interesting things with the idea.

Isn't everything with a bunch of little girls considered interesting and good these days? Sometimes even claimed to be innovative? As hilarious as it sounds.

It sure does seem like it. Rolling Eyes Sad
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:58 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Shippoyasha wrote:
Yuru Yuri is indeed pretty great. It takes a premise and does fairly interesting things with the idea.

Isn't everything with a bunch of little girls considered interesting and good these days? Sometimes even claimed to be innovative? As hilarious as it sounds.

Hmmm, which other show(s) are you referring to? Milky Holmes is the last one I can recall, and I don't think it was considered all that interesting/good. Then Ro-Kyu-Buu before that, which didn't really have that fan reaction either. What did you have in mind when making that statement? Unless by 'little girls' you are including high-school girls? Echo, since you echoed that sentiment you can answer as well. I feel like I have missed some shows somehow.

EDIT:Oh wait, there was Kill Me Baby a few seasons ago. But I don't think that was all well liked or considered interesting/innovative either.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:18 am Reply with quote
ShanaFan852 wrote:
Gewürtztraminer wrote:
Such over the top hatred for Fractale, and other select series.
I first noted it with Endless 8.
My first exposure to the Endless 8 was via the discs and I marathoned it. I just could not see where the over the top vitriolic hatred came from. You would think that the production team of the show had broken into your home and mutilated all your pet gerbils, defecated on the corpses and then posted it on facebook.

Once I thought about waiting one week for each episode, I could see where some of the hate came from.

Marathoned, I thought it was a fairly cool concept, of which only a show like TMOHS could even attempt.
I claimed such over the top disdained was just an excuse to justify piracy.
Oh Endless Eight...

The problem people had was they were showing the same episode (With different angles, clothes, and a few minor differences-you know how the first episode they don't find out they're in a timeloop) eight times in a row. Those that watched it as it aired (I wasn't one of them) had the most fury as those who were unable to guess the "Eight" in the title meant it was going to be eight episodes had no idea when it would end (They took "Endless" too literally), some thinking it would air for years. Every week they saw the same episode to their dismay.

Timeloops can be quite interesting, but when you make everything the same, instead of just a few main things, it gets redundant, and irritating seeing the same thing over and over so many times.

It overdid the point (There was a point to it-not just to troll people) which supposedly makes the movie better (I have not seen the movie, so I have yet to see for myself if EE makes it better). They should have made it shorter (As I've heard, it's a short chapter in the novels that can be read faster than watching just one episode, so it's much longer in the anime), or done something different with the loops, keep the few things that should be the same every time, and make everything else different.

I am going to agree with Gew as I can see why watching Endless Eight as it aired would piss people off a lot. I had no issues with it, then again I did watch it on DVD instead of an episode a week. I don't think it was so much of a bad idea IMO.

Red Fox of Fire wrote:
erinfinnegan wrote:
I'd rather see more interesting failures like Fractale than boring successes. I hated the first season of Rosario + Vampire, but it's my understanding that show is a huge hit in Japan. Rosario plays by the numbers, it doesn't take risks. I'd rather see a very risky new show with crazy ideas that don't pan out than boring paint-by-numbers stuff, like, let's say, more YuruYuri.

I am personally offended at the assertion that Fractale is preferable over YuruYuri. Such an injustice requires immediate retribution.

Fractale wasn't even that risky when you consider the numerous tropes and various fanservice it provided.

Tropes and fanservice are not bad depending on how they are used.

I am going to have to agree with Erin that if you gave me a choice of watching either Fractale or YuruYuri I would take the former not the latter.

Having finished up Fractale last night, I don't think it is as bad as people make it out to be. It's no masterpiece and it has some issues but I did find it enjoyable. It needed more episodes to flesh some things out and I really no issues with the criticism of being too depending on technology. They needed to give that whole idea an episode or two to give why that idea came into existence.

I tried watching YuruYuri and only got the first episode before dropping it because I was bored out of my mind by it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:34 am Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
Tropes and fanservice are not bad depending on how they are used.

I didn't say they were bad. They are, however, "safe" methods directors use commonly to boost sales. This was in response to Fractale being "risky."
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:41 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Endless Eight was insulting.

How so?
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:42 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:

Yes, because we know that there is noooo way that anything involving girls can be interesting and innovative.
zensunni

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:03 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Endless Eight was insulting. The creators knew that people would still purchase it and lo and behold, they did. Not as much as the first season, but the sales volumes were still very respectable. Endless Eight also doesn't make the movie any better.

Natsuiro Kiseki also spoiler[had a time loop and actually pulled it off far, far, far better than Endless Eight (although that's not saying much).] Definitely an underrated show, even if the budget was a little low.

Well, not quite spoiler[since they knew that it was happening and didn't do the same thing over and over.] But I agree that it was a good show and they did that part of the story up right!

(I am also one of the people that really enjoyed the fine detail differences in the EE. How many freakin' bathing suits do those girls own? LOL!)

maaya wrote:
erinfinnegan wrote:
I guess I'd rather see a great idea executed very poorly or a crappy idea executed extraordinarily well than anything in between.

Anything in between? Does that include series with a great idea and an extraordinarily good execution? o_O; (Which wouldn't make much sense, but that's somehow how that statement sounds to me.)

Come now! She didn't say that she wouldn't like a good idea, executed well, better than the other two, just that she would rather watch an interesting idea that is poorly executed or a poor idea that is well executed more than something that is mediocre with mediocre presentation. Why is that hard to understand?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:26 pm Reply with quote
I've watched the first half of Hetalia and at first I liked it, but the repetition got boring, then annoying and at the end of the disc I was glad it ended. I'm not sure I want to see the rest if it carries on like this for the duration. I don't know how this was originally transmitted in Japan, if it was transmitted at all, but if it was, maybe I would have enjoyed it more if each episode was seen just once a week, maybe even once a day, but not in a long chain. What's that saying about too much of a good thing? Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6