• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Planned Anime Museum Panned as 'National Manga Café'

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 10:18 pm Reply with quote
It might attract visitors, but global travel is going to be down if the economy worsens further, and Japan is a hard and expensive place to get to. And this whole thing Aso is trying to do just seems like loaded words, it won't change how the Japanese businessmen conduct their businesses.
Kylemakk

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 10:30 pm Reply with quote
I could see why this would draw quite a bit of criticism with the worldwide economic situation. However, from a purely selfish viewpoint, I'd love to visit this museum!
commsky

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Kylemakk wrote:
I could see why this would draw quite a bit of criticism with the worldwide economic situation. However, from a purely selfish viewpoint, I'd love to visit this museum!

Agreed, I can care less about Japanese economy right now, or our own for that matter, it takes these things to make new ideas come out, maybe we'll push for finally crashing the oil and gas companies and finally run off of hydrogen which has been ready like, forever.

But that's only if it gets really really bad, I'm pretty sure it won't
BleuVII

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 10:42 pm Reply with quote
This sounds like a publicity stunt. A very WELCOME publicity stunt, but a publicity stunt nonetheless.
Rolando_jose

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 11:07 pm Reply with quote
At least some people will have a job while building the museum.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 11:11 pm Reply with quote
I certainly can understand why spending 118 million on something like that would make some people upset. I think I would.

It may not be a bad idea, but one that would be better executed during less trying times.

Course the US does the same kind of stuff all the time, like spending 385k for a photograph, which is probably why I would be against this kind of stuff. Still though, unlike a photograph a museum offers a possibility of a return on investment, but I seriously doubt it in the current economy. They should probably wait 8-10 years or so.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 11:13 pm Reply with quote
commsky wrote:
Kylemakk wrote:

Agreed, I can care less about Japanese economy right now, or our own for that matter, it takes these things to make new ideas come out, maybe we'll push for finally crashing the oil and gas companies and finally run off of hydrogen which has been ready like, forever.

But that's only if it gets really really bad, I'm pretty sure it won't

Being from Detroit, i know rather well that hydrogen isn't ready yet, at least to work on it's own, right now there is still a problem of distribution and production. There are also more than a few options for how to use, it but both are still in the prototype stages, fuel cells are nice but expensive and not yet up to the "mpg" needed to make it worth the cost of creating the hydrogen, and the other hydrogen combustion, which is my fav idea, and the one i think we'll end up with, but it isn't ready yet again due to many of the above mentioned reasons.

-Gabe, autonut, otaku and driver of fine Ford products
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
nicomorr

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 12:34 am Reply with quote
I support this initiative. It will increase the respect in which Anime and Manga are held in Japan. It will do the same for foreigners both with physical visiting and as a web presence.

And Odaiba is such a cool place to site it - the budget sounds like it'll allow something wonderful to go up.

I'd go in a lightspeed minute!

Nico M Twisted Evil
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 12:48 am Reply with quote
Maybe that's a bit too much money to be spending right now, especially if their budget isn't doing that great. They wouldn't want to end up like us.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 1:31 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Maybe that's a bit too much money to be spending right now, especially if their budget isn't doing that great. They wouldn't want to end up like us.
What are you talking about? Don't you think massive government spending will save our economy? /Sarcasm (And that is the last remotely political statement of off-topicness from me!)

If Aso wants to promote Japanese culture and use soft power, this is actually a rather logical and frankly tame expenditure. (It's not even a 150 million buckos. Way less than could have been allocated.) Plus construction projects are great for job creation even if it is a bit temporary. Long-term tourism dollars could also be brought in and that is always good when someone else can pay the local bills.

If it raises awareness and respect for anime and manga, that could increase the demand for the product and improve the state of that industry. It could also be seen as a form of cultural exchange to improve relations between nations if promoted right. (Entry and travel restrictions need to be lessened to really drive that point.)

If this project is only part of several focusing on different aspects of Japanese culture, then I think it's a good idea overall. Sure it costs something now but this doesn't sound like it will create a long-term financial drain. If it bombs, they can shut it down fast and the local area will see the status-quo return. Not seeing a lot of real negatives on this except the "this isn't important enough to do now" one which may actually be a reason to do it. If you only focus on big things you lose perspective on them.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 11:07 am Reply with quote
Anime and manga are artforms too. It's a museum that being suggested. It's not even the first one to use government money like this one most likely will also use govenment money. Here's another list of manga museums. Here's another list.

Apparently, it can be a popular place to visit. It will stimulate jobs in Odaiba. I agree this is a publicity stunt by the DPJ.
Ranmah

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 4:22 am Reply with quote
I for one would like to see the money put elsewhere, but the idea to bring a museum is a good idea. If you incorporate it as an educational and cultural gathering spot then it could attract revenue.

Japanese politics is very difficult to understand. Even locals and long time ex-pats have difficulty to understand.

If it could bring visitors from neighboring Asian countries, such as South Korea, China, HK, NZ, Australia (major English Speaking country in the region). Then maybe it could work.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nicomorr

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:43 am Reply with quote
Ranmah wrote:
Japanese politics is very difficult to understand. Even locals and long time ex-pats have difficulty to understand.

If it could bring visitors from neighboring Asian countries, such as South Korea, China, HK, NZ, Australia (major English Speaking country in the region). Then maybe it could work.

I take issue with the first statement .... you only have to read "Sanctuary" to understand Smile

But the point on other Asian countries is a very good one. We in the West are SO western-centric, embarassingly so.

The artforms of Manga and Anime need showcasing for an ignorant world.

Nico M Twisted Evil
Raz_G

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 1:17 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
Anime and manga are artforms too. It's a museum that being suggested. It's not even the first one to use government money like this one most likely will also use govenment money. Here's another list of manga museums. Here's another list.

Apparently, it can be a popular place to visit. It will stimulate jobs in Odaiba. I agree this is a publicity stunt by the DPJ.

It's worth noting that the Suginami Animation Museum (briefly mentioned in the second link you provided) - Japan's first museum devoted to animation in general (as opposed to the works of a single studio or creator) is already supported by the Japanese government. It's not as large-scale as the one discussed in the news item, but it is a very nice place with impressive exhibition that follows the history of Japanese animation from early 20th century till today, smaller (though still interesting) exhibitions devoted to the process of animation-making, interactive posts for kids and a screening room. It also has a nice library with a collection of books and DVDs (some of very rare stuff) that you can sit down and watch for free (entrance to the museum is also free of charge).
So, until they finish the 118,000,000$ project, if you're an anime fan visiting Japan, I'd say the Suginami Animation Museum is very much a worthy attraction.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Ranmah wrote:

Perhaps the long-term plan for this project relies upon a return to the pre-crunch exchange rates. That said, I'd be pleasantly surprised if this museum was planned with international appeal in mind.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2