• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The RETURN of the ANN Book Club! Post your suggestions here!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Personally, I don't see the point in having a rule against discussing a series that is available only through fansubs. This forum is filled with discussion threads about shows that are only available that way (so far).

True, but those fansubs are usually recent and "well-tended". Old and/or obscure series might only have one group which fansubs it, that group may be hard to track down, and their releases might have very few seeds.

Also, there is a problem which no-one has mentioned yet; we users are not allowed to post in a thread specific details about fansubs. Nor are we even allowed to Private Message one another about the details. Therefore, everyone would have to hunt down the fansubs by themselves. And if there are two fansub groups for the show, you can bet your bottom dollar that they will be of different quality translation-wise, which could easily cause confusion. Especially if we are examining every minor point in close detail.

Basically, fansubs are just too problematic, and should be avoided. Now can we get back on to topic?
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 11:27 pm Reply with quote
I would second the RahXephon suggestion. I've been meaning to give that one another viewing anyway. I'd also be willing to talk about Planetes.

And count me in with kyokun, whatever gets picked should at least be fully released in R1.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 12:12 am Reply with quote
If the aim of the Book Club is to be member-inclusive, then I'd say licenced material is the way to go.

From my list of favourites Smile I suggest:
Boogiepop Phantom, Fruits Basket, Berserk, Genshiken, Gunslinger Girl, Planetes, Macross, Chobits, Figure 17 (you can tell I'm slightly further down the list now, can't you?), Gantz, Last Exile, or possibly Nadesico.

And maybe a rule against posts of excessive length? I think this is one reason a lot of people haven't contributed in the past, as it's difficult to compete against the same 2 or 3 people posting a series of 2000 word essays.

Last edited by eyeresist on Mon May 18, 2009 1:08 am; edited 2 times in total
TheTheory

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 12:26 am Reply with quote
eyeresist wrote:

Fruits Basket, Gunslinger Girl, Chobits

I'll second these, as they are all series I have watched a bit of, but ceased due to life becoming too hectic. This would a marvelous chance to re-pick them up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blackpeppir

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 12:32 am Reply with quote
Couldn't two Book Clubs be created? One for those who don't mind using fansubs or scanslations so long as links to sites aren't provided and one group who opt to take the moral highroad and remain exclusive to anime and manga easily available to the US or whichever area you happen to live in.

That being said as far as fansubs and scanslations I've always been rather curious about what others felt about Kuroshitsuji, both the manga which is still running and the anime which ended earlier this year.

For the manga provided in the states I'd have to agree that Fullmetal Alchemist would bring more than a few members in, the manga is readily available in almost every bookstore where (I live at least) and Funimation is legally streaming Brotherhood. I know there's already a fairly active FMA thread but for an in depth discussion I'd say it's a good material to start with so far as attracting a group goes.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 1:11 am Reply with quote
Actually, I might have to second-guess my suggestion of Boogiepop Phantom. As much as I love that show, it's a series that needs to be watched fairly quickly, if you want to get a sense of the overall story, and remember who the characters are. Not really suited for a few episodes per week.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 1:13 am Reply with quote
Blackpeppir wrote:
Couldn't two Book Clubs be created?

I think that was part of the problem last time. There were a bunch of people who only had time to follow one thread, which limited participation in any given thread when they had to choose between 2 or 3.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 7:27 am Reply with quote
@eyeresist

Look who's talking, I know, but the reason people post big long posts is that they a lot to say, which is definitely a good thing. You could argue that other people don't post because the big long monsters are intimidating, but speaking as somebody who ran four of them, those big long posts kept the thread alive because even if other people didn't jump in, they would post responses to a small part of what the other person had written, or whatnot. If all the thread had was a dialogue between two people in the last two weeks, at least it had a last two weeks and the ending got discussed, so I don't know about a limit, that could be a bad idea. The point is that if more people participate, the posts won't get that long because you won't have two people writing for what should have been ten. I think...Anime dazed

DerekTheRed wrote:
Blackpeppir wrote:
Couldn't two Book Clubs be created?

I think that was part of the problem last time. There were a bunch of people who only had time to follow one thread, which limited participation in any given thread when they had to choose between 2 or 3.

Yes. Let's just have one this time. There were comments everywhere about "I can't follow more than one at one time, sorry," and I don't want to have that problem this time.

Oh! Uh...suggestions! I'd second Fullmetal Alchemist, RahXephon, Last Exile, and Planetes. The only trick with RahX and Planetes is that they're harder to find/afford. FMA is the easiest thing in the world to find and watch, though, and Last Exile is probably pretty easy too.

Suggestions of my own: Hm. Just right off the top of my head, Trigun, Vision of Escaflowne, Mushi-Shi (again-ish), and maybe even restarting Paranoia Agent under new management and dropping my old thread... -.-'

I'd also ask that people keep in mind that suggestions for an anime need to be shows that have a marginal amount of substance to explore. Maybe not as much as last time where we only picked hardcore psychological/philosophical shows, but still: some substance. As in, Chobits only gets meaty around episode 18, and what are you going to discuss until then? ...Panties? Anime hyper
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 7:52 am Reply with quote
Sounds interesting, but I've some questions:

I know a series recommendation is offered, but do these recommendations have to be current? If not, how far back is considered "too old"?
As an example: Magic Knight Rayearth was re-released. It's old, but many may not have seen it. Could it be recommended?
On the flip side, there's Cowboy Bebop, which is "old". Do we want a show like this?

Is there going to be an official "no fan sub site series" announcement to deter discussion of a series? There are several out there which haven't been released (yet), but may warrant a discussion.
For example: Clannad: After Story.
I say this lightly because it's a good assumption this series will be released. Discussions could possibly lead to sales when they are.
In addition, not everyone may have the released DVD but would like to add to the discussion.

I've never "broken" a series before, so this seems entertaining.

Okay, my recommendation:
Pani Poni Dash: There is so much to this series. Not only is there discussions between classmates, but the text on the chalkboard is also enlightening. I still haven't read it all!

Noein: Discussing multiple dimensions is always fun. Much like time travel.

Looking forward to the new book club!
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 8:07 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Sounds interesting, but I've some questions:

I know a series recommendation is offered, but do these recommendations have to be current? If not, how far back is considered "too old"?
As an example: Magic Knight Rayearth was re-released. It's old, but many may not have seen it. Could it be recommended?
On the flip side, there's Cowboy Bebop, which is "old". Do we want a show like this?

I don't know about that second one, but the first question I can answer: the reason the book club was started was to give rise to discussion about series that have all these hidden layers to uncover and may have gotten lost in the shuffle of talking about newer titles. So, yes. If anything, older shows are better. The original catalyst for this idea was Serial Experiments Lain, if that tells you anything.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 9:00 am Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
Mushi-Shi (again-ish)

Gimme' till around the beginning of June, and I'll see what I can do.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 9:03 am Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
So, yes. If anything, older shows are better. The original catalyst for this idea was Serial Experiments Lain, if that tells you anything.

That's good to hear. I often make purchases of series many of you have long since seen once the price drops. I'm sure many are in the same boat as myself.

Another recommendation: Get Backers. This series just started on the Anime Network and I'm definitely hooked.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 10:09 am Reply with quote
I realized that I forgot to make a suggestion or second someone else's, and I think I'd like to see a RahXephon Book Club. I've seen it before, but would love to see an episode by episode dissection of it (mostly because I'm sure I missed a lot of stuff).
arachneia

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 12:56 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Basically, fansubs are just too problematic, and should be avoided. Now can we get back on to topic?

We are on topic, as we're discussing the very pertinent issue of which anime to pick. It's ridiculous to bar a show other people want to see discussed simply because it hasn't come out in your country. Also, you're really exaggerating the "problem" of availability and quality of fansubs; people know where to find them, and have obviously done so, otherwise half the discussion threads wouldn't exist.

As far as Fullmetal Alchemist goes, I'd rather see a book club for the manga. Is that at all possible, or are we going to stick with anime?
Aylinn

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 1:14 pm Reply with quote
My suggestions:

Night on the Galactic Railroad
Angel's Egg
Mononoke This one would be easy to split into smaller parts, for it is divided into stories that consist of two or three episodes.

I also like the idea of discussing Monster.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4