• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Brad Behavior

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fentras

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:21 pm Reply with quote
wSwans wrote:
I maintain my original position; you should do better research before you begin such interviews as this one.

Wait, so you can't claim painting is a art form devoid of merit by critiquing kindergarten art classes, or say English literature is utterly worthless and just do your research at fanfiction.net?

You're raising that bar mighty high. That makes it sound like work.
ssgwnbtd

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Posts go by and no one realizes I'm the coordinator of AMV Hell 6. coolguyface.jpg
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:48 pm Reply with quote
ssgwnbtd wrote:
Posts go by and no one realizes I'm the coordinator of AMV Hell 6. coolguyface.jpg

I have watched the first AMV Hell and only watched parts of the second and third, so I confess that I have never seen AMV Hell 6.

Were you proud of your work?
ssgwnbtd

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:50 pm Reply with quote
AMV Hell 6 isn't done yet. Hell 5 came out.. I guess I'm proud of my videos in it.. and my work compiling it. Proud is kind of a strong word though.
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Glory Questor wrote:
What's worse is that Zac is trying his best to sound like an AMV fan. Well, since we've all known what Zac's primary opinion has been on AMVs, and that in 2011 his comments on AX's contest was that it was "the Pirated Copy of Adobe AfterEffects competition", it's safe to say that Zac should have never moderated this interview.

Sorry I hurt your feelings with that comment, I guess, but I've never heard anyone (in person, anyway, without the wall of anonymity the internet provides) actually disagree with the truth behind that joke.

First, it's not a really good joke when many AMV creators (myself included) do not actually use or need After Effects. I know you think you were being funny, but from one administrator to another, you should be more cautious about loose comments on a site you work for.

Secondly, I'm certainly not anonymous, nor am I new to conventions. I've been creating AMVs since 2004, staffing and running AMV contests & events at conventions since 2007, and using my years of experience to bring more awareness to those who asks questions about AMVs, I don't have your experiences with the anime industry, so I don't talk like I know the anime industry inside and out, and I would expect the executive editor of ANN to have the same respect for a topic they don't have enough information or years of experience on (like AMVs).

Finally, we're not being hard on you for undue reasons. You pretty much dug your own grave with many members of the AMV community a long time ago for your opinions. While I'm glad that ANN decided to do an interview related to AMVs, the moderation of the event should have been done by someone who wasn't already on the bad side of a lot of people on this issue. It tended to put the focus a lot more on you and less on what Brad had to say. Sad
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:24 am Reply with quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_8ZG4bmP64

All I have to say is this, if you really like AMV's watch this classic one I uploaded on youtube, it's a tad on the old side however.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:35 am Reply with quote
Glory Questor wrote:

First, it's not a really good joke when many AMV creators (myself included) do not actually use or need After Effects. I know you think you were being funny, but from one administrator to another, you should be more cautious about loose comments on a site you work for.

'I should be more careful'? Or what, you'll take even more offense to throwaway comments by someone they didn't care about in the first place?

Quote:
I don't have your experiences with the anime industry, so I don't talk like I know the anime industry inside and out, and I would expect the executive editor of ANN to have the same respect for a topic they don't have enough information or years of experience on (like AMVs).

I didn't talk like I know the topic inside and out. In fact I'm pretty sure I spoke from my own personal experience with it and from no other place of authority. I don't know much of anything about the online AMV community, beyond the fact that they get really upset when you ask questions they don't personally approve of. This happened to me last time - in fact the last time I interviewed anyone about the subject someone literally transcribed the interview for the AMV forums so people who could not stand listening to my horrible voice could hear my horrible biased anti-AMV questions and then judge me accordingly, and then I think I remember then mostly giving me a pass for asking fair questions from an outsider's perspective.

Quote:

Finally, we're not being hard on you for undue reasons. You pretty much dug your own grave with many members of the AMV community a long time ago for your opinions. While I'm glad that ANN decided to do an interview related to AMVs, the moderation of the event should have been done by someone who wasn't already on the bad side of a lot of people on this issue. It tended to put the focus a lot more on you and less on what Brad had to say. Sad

It isn't 'moderation of an event'. He was a guest on my podcast. The one I host and produce.

I know you don't intend to come across as though you're trying to intimidate someone who doesn't understand the power of your community and the woeful circumstances that will befall me if I continue to have an opinion you don't wholly approve of, but right now you're failing pretty hard at that, man.

I respect you guys - whatever number of people it is you appear to be speaking for - but not one outside organization is going to perform an interview to the exact specifications of your insular community. Maybe be a little more open-minded and friendly toward casual viewers like me and less openly hostile like you have been and we can all get along, no?
Shin-AMV

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:49 am Reply with quote
Your entire criticism and disdain for the medium seem to be related to terrible naruto/dbz vids set to linken park style music which would be akin to saying movies are terrible because there are a lot of backyard wrestling videos out there.

You talk about storylines and AMVs as if they are only capable of being a basic retelling of the anime's original storyline while there are plenty of examples of telling stories or portraying the anime in completely different ways (just to name a few off the top of my head: Something Wicked This Way Comes, Our Tapes, Tainted Donuts)

If you want an example of an AMV that acts as a critique on the creativity or artistic value of an AMV you only have to look as far as something like Every Anime Opening Ever Made, A Reverse AMV or Fluffy Kittens and Rainbows.

I'm not going to rehash the rest of whats been said by others already and I don't expect you to be pandering to the AMV community, but if you wanted to challenge the hobby and its artistic/creative merits you should have at least done your homework on the very basics of it instead of relying on some naive perceptions that the handful of AMVs you've seen at Anime Expo is somehow representitive of AMVs.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:59 am Reply with quote
Shin-AMV wrote:

You talk about storylines and AMVs as if they are only capable of being a basic retelling of the anime's original storyline while there are plenty of examples of telling stories or portraying the anime in completely different ways (just to name a few off the top of my head: Something Wicked This Way Comes, Our Tapes, Tainted Donuts)

If you want an example of an AMV that acts as a critique on the creativity or artistic value of an AMV you only have to look as far as something like Every Anime Opening Ever Made, A Reverse AMV or Fluffy Kittens and Rainbows.

I've seen all of those. No joke, all of them. They have fun gimmick value, sure, and they're all extremely well edited, but I don't think they function in the way you think they do. But that's where we disagree, and that's the conversation I'd like to have; not this dick-waving thing where you're schooling me on what real appreciation of anime music videos is.

If you just want to be insular and insult people like me, fine - I enjoy your art but have a hard time defending it as art. Why not talk to me instead of attacking?
superdry

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:34 am Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:

All I have to say is this, if you really like AMV's watch this classic one I uploaded on youtube, it's a tad on the old side however.

That was nice. I personally like AMVs that are edited well so the characters are lip-syncing to the song - like Hubba Hubba Zoot Zoot.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:39 am Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:

That was nice. I personally like AMVs that are edited well so the characters are lip-syncing to the song - like Hubba Hubba Zoot Zoot.

Oh wow. Now there's some memories.
Shin-AMV

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:10 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Shin-AMV wrote:

I've seen all of those. No joke, all of them. They have fun gimmick value, sure, and they're all extremely well edited, but I don't think they function in the way you think they do. But that's where we disagree, and that's the conversation I'd like to have; not this dick-waving thing where you're schooling me on what real appreciation of anime music videos is.

If you just want to be insular and insult people like me, fine - I enjoy your art but have a hard time defending it as art. Why not talk to me instead of attacking?

I'm not the one "dick waving" I just pointed out that in the interview you portrayed AMVs as only being able to retell the stories represented in the anime and I provided examples of others that showed something else. You mentioned in the interview you hadn't seen an AMV that functioned as a critique on AMVs as an artistic medium, I provided examples that function as that. Whether you find them gimmicky or not is a moot point.

I'm not sure whether or not you're trying to project that I have an opinion that the videos I mentioned are art or not, because they do function as the way I listed them as (Every Anime Opening Ever is probably much more open to debate though since its more of a tongue in cheek criticism at best and probably not intended outright to function like I mentioned though so I'll give you that). If you disagree that those AMVs don't function as an alternative storyline for the first AMVs I listed, and that the other two don't function as a satire to some degree on AMV creation/art then I think we have a problem on where to even start having a conversation in the first place.

If on the other hand you thought I was listing AMVs that have "artistic" merit, then you read into more than I what was saying, but it was probably partly due to the way I parsed my original post. In order to have avoided that confusion it would have been better for me to have opened with all the examples first, and then segue into artistic/creative stuff and also mention that I have never really taken a strong stance toward whether AMVs are art or not. People's definition for what is art varies and I normally find it pointless to actually have the argument since in all likelihood no opinions are going to change. I take more offense though at the insinuation they are creatively bankrupt. Regardless if they amount to art or not, I find that there is a large amount of creativity going into a lot of these AMVs, whether it be scene selection, effects work, or storytelling.

However, from what I've gathered from a few of your podcasts and a few answerman excerpts your criticism of AMVs generally focus on videos that even the majority of AMV editors find bad as well (i.e. derivative DBZ Linken Park videos) which isn't giving a fair shake to the AMV community because we're not going to defend those. Hence the movie/backyard wrestling comment. I'm not going to tell you that you need to have an appreciation for certain videos but if you're going to make generalizations about the medium you should use examples that our community holds in esteem so we can actually start the conversation properly. If I'm overgeneralizing your position, let me know and clarify it.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:13 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Is every other AMV still set to In the End by Linkin Park?

I've never seen an In the End AMV better than the one Dark Kamui made.

penguintruth wrote:
Seriously though, I haven't seen a good AMV since "Skittles".

You mean that Haruhi AMV?

Eh, it was pretty good, but not the best I've seen.

Some of the recent PMMM AMVs have been great, like "Human" and "Devil's Game".

As a RahXephon fan I still have very fond memories of "Euphoria".
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:15 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
[troll attempt removed]

Christ, could you be more gratuitously dickish and condescending?

Have you even bothered to look at what the current AMV output is, or did you just decide to polish your superiority?

Here, have a random recent AMV
BamvOAT

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:20 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
[troll attempt removed]
You have no idea what you're talking about, or what amvs are like worldwide...that much is clear.

Aside from the trip down memory lane, interviewer and interviewee also have no idea, this entire thing is embarrassing from that aspect.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7