• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - End of Summer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Regarding Zac's concern that about Gen Urobuchi burning himself out, I don't think that's a huge concern yet. Assuming the ANN encyclopedia is accurate, there's actually only been two Gen Urobuchi anime series released so far that weren't based on already existing works, and those are Madoka Magica and Blassreiter. Blassreiter was released back in 2008 , and Urobuchi wasn't even the sole credit for series composition, as the director Ichiro Itano was also credited. (The fact that Blassreiter's story is apparently a collaboration between Urobuchi and the guy who wrote Angel Cop makes me VERY curious to see it, though I'm a little afraid as well. In addition to creating Angel Cop, Itano also directed Gantz and the Violence Jack ovas, so... yah.)

EDIT: Oh, also turns out that Blassreiter has Yasuko Kobayashi credited as "Chief Writer," but I don't really know enough about the production to guess how much of the story was by him, Urobuchi, or Itano..

Speaking of Urobuchi works, given how big both Fate Zero and Madoka Magica were, I'm really hoping that someone will decide to do an anime adaption of Saya no Uta now. Twisted Evil
ashez2ashes

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Nodame Cantabile's live action adaption was really good and better than the anime adaption in a lot of ways, imho. I don't think the anime has been licensed in North America either (the english version appears to be from Hong Kong?).
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist: I don't think Saya no Uta is long enough to warrant even a 12-episode anime. It's really good but also really short.
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:39 am Reply with quote
Ugh, I feel your pain about watching stuff in the wrong aspect ratio. I've started watching shows with friends who would insist that everything looks normal to them, even when I thought people's faces (it was live-action) were quite distorted. Then we'd see something onscreen that was supposed to be a perfect circle (the moon, a dish, a clock, etc.) but was obviously oval and I'd feel smugly vindicated.

Re: PSY's "Gangnam Style." It's fun and all but I still can't figure out why that's the first K-pop song to hit so big over here as opposed to, say, something by Big Bang for example (imo "Fantastic Baby" would've been a good candidate). Is it the novelty of the silly dance?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:58 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Mad_Scientist: I don't think Saya no Uta is long enough to warrant even a 12-episode anime. It's really good but also really short.

There was a recent anime series, Ozma, which was only 6 episodes, but cases like that are pretty unusual. Perhaps Saya no Uta could be done as an OVA series, or even a movie. It's probably unlikely, but I could imagine it happening if Pyscho Pass and Urobuchi's next anime are really big hits.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:05 am Reply with quote
poonk wrote:
Re: PSY's "Gangnam Style." It's fun and all but I still can't figure out why that's the first K-pop song to hit so big over here as opposed to, say, something by Big Bang for example (imo "Fantastic Baby" would've been a good candidate). Is it the novelty of the silly dance?

Mother Jones had an article on their theory about it.
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:56 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
poonk wrote:

Mother Jones had an article on their theory about it.
Thanks for the link. That article was really food for thought on the matter (and it even mentioned Big Bang by name... so they're too sexy for America? Razz ). It also reminded me of the recent story about Tiger JK (sorta understandably) losing it onstage when hecklers started yelling at him to do "the horse dance." While I'm sure it wasn't PSY's intent, it's unfortunate if that's really what's happening here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:47 am Reply with quote
I haven't read that article, but my guess about why Gagnam style blew up is

1. Psy does not look like anyone we're used to seeing in Korean pop.

2. He's not taking himself seriously

3. It's a very funny video

4. It has a good dance. It doesn't hurt to have a good dance to go with your song.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:16 am Reply with quote
YotaruVegeta wrote:
I haven't read that article, but my guess about why Gangnam style blew up is

1. Psy does not look like anyone we're used to seeing in Korean pop.
While I agree with all your points, the thing is that the song blew up with people who have never seen/heard anything K-pop before in their lives. I recommend reading that article linked above. As someone who's listened to K-pop for a while now I find myself wondering a lot about this current phenomenon and that author sort of brought up an unpleasant possibility.

Well, since this isn't the Gangnam Style thread that's all I'll say...
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:59 am Reply with quote
I did read it afterwards. It could definitely be a possibility that it's all about racial emasculation, but for me it just came out to the guy being entertaining.

Do I agree with it? Not really. People see race in a lot of things, but just because you read something into an issue doesn't necesarrily mean you're right.

We can say whatever we think about the reasoning behind something becoming popular, but with viral videos, there is no telling what will hit and what gets nothing-- except for cats. Everyone likes cats.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Galap

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:39 pm Reply with quote
poonk wrote:
Ugh, I feel your pain about watching stuff in the wrong aspect ratio. I've started watching shows with friends who would insist that everything looks normal to them, even when I thought people's faces (it was live-action) were quite distorted. Then we'd see something onscreen that was supposed to be a perfect circle (the moon, a dish, a clock, etc.) but was obviously oval and I'd feel smugly vindicated.

Yeah. I really don't understand how people can't tell the difference. It's so obviously wrong. It's as noticeable as watching something in black and white (which I don't mind if that's how it was but it's still really noticeable.

A lot of friends have their TVs set up wrong. If the situation/my relationship with them is such that it wouldn't be rude to do so, I offer to fix it, but most say they just don't care and don't notice.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
A lot of friends have their TVs set up wrong. If the situation/my relationship with them is such that it wouldn't be rude to do so, I offer to fix it, but most say they just don't care and don't notice.

Well, it's as you said. It's either they don't care or they don't notice. To some people, that sort of thing is not at all a top priority in terms of how to get the most pleasure in your viewing experience.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:56 pm Reply with quote
poonk wrote:

Silly dance + silly video + surprisingly effective club banger regardless of language = smash hit. I don't think it's anything more than that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3