• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Eden of the East Gets Two Theatrical Films Green-Lit

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Splitter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Nothing against the series, but the way it's progressed, it felt like it should have been a series of movies all along.

Still, f*cking awesome news Very Happy
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:28 pm Reply with quote
I was always under the impression that the movies would be a continuation. Hopefully this impression is correct since I don't see the point of retelling the series since the 11 episodes are already beautiful and well, there. Guess we'll have to wait and see on this one (hopefully not too long).
melonbread

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:43 pm Reply with quote
I see no point in getting excited about something when there is no legal way to watch it. So I won't.

Production I.G shows must be too expensive to license because there've been a huge amount of incredible shows over the years that just haven't been licensed, that need to be. Literally everything Production I.G does is gold.

sigh
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:48 pm Reply with quote
melonbread wrote:
I see no point in getting excited about something when there is no legal way to watch it. So I won't.

Production I.G shows must be too expensive to license because there've been a huge amount of incredible shows over the years that just haven't been licensed, that need to be. Literally everything Production I.G does is gold.

I wouldn't quite say that. Real Drive was decent, but certainly no Ghost in the Shell if you want the exact same thing out of it, mostly a lot of technobabble and chubby girls eating parfait. And Library Wars was an interesting concept, but it was too bogged down in character's feelings and political pondering to bother to really have any kind of plot or action.
12skippy21

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Wait...so the best show of the season I shall now have to wait till next year (taking into account the time taken for a generated fan sub) to be concluded!

God damn it! Evil or Very Mad Laughing
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:12 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Real Drive was decent, but certainly no Ghost in the Shell if you want the exact same thing out of it, mostly a lot of technobabble and chubby girls eating parfait.

Real Drive was mostly about twice as long as it ought to have been. Ditto on Ghost Hound. Sometimes less is more; the core stories were good, but there was so much fat (in Real Drive's case, pardon the pun ~_^) to make them really good.

But in general, yes, Production I.G. is one of my favorite studios, and this season was just awesome.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:19 pm Reply with quote
melonbread wrote:

sigh

I'm sort of confused. Your *sigh* seems to indicate you are bummed that there may not be a legal way to watch the movies. However, nobody outside of Japan has been able to legally watch the broadcast episodes. That includes you. So why do you care about a series that - because of your scruples against non-legal viewing - you have not seen yet?
dunse dog

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:25 pm Reply with quote
If the title of the first movie is King of Eden, then does this reference to Mr. Outside, the Supporter or some other high figure (or is it just another reference to the movie "East of Eden"). Seeing as the title of the second is "Paradise Lost" then this must be a reference to the book. Will they play on the themes of evil guy sympathy or something

I'm sorry, I'm too hyped not to speculate. Even though its only the title of a movie, lol.
melonbread

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
So why do you care about a series that - because of your scruples against non-legal viewing - you have not seen yet?

Because I've read a lot of hype about it. I have friends raving about it. I know it's going to be awesome, but it pisses me off that there's no way to watch it without fansubs.

Though, this is the same story with everything, because I love mostly all anime =)
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:52 pm Reply with quote
I don't want to veer off topic, melonbread, but I am genuinely curious about anime distribution in the UK. I'm very confident that Eden of the East will get NA distribution at some point. Based on your earlier comment, even if that happens, you don't think that means it would get picked up in the UK, as well?
DRWii

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Y'know, putting aside whether or not I like "Eden of the East," I'm kind of annoyed that a lot of the more popular series' in recent years always have some sudden "wait, there's more!" announcement at the end, whether it's a second season (which isn't necessarily bad, but it means a longer wait for the series to actually end) or a movie release (which is even worse since most of them these days are just compilations with maybe some new footage instead of being a remake or sequel).

Well, now that that little rant is over: while I haven't seen the last episode yet, I have a hard time imagining they'd need two movies to conclude it, so my guess is that "King of Eden" will be a compilation and "Paradise Lost" will be a sequel/conclusion. But my guess is as good as anyone's.

vashfanatic wrote:
Real Drive was mostly about twice as long as it ought to have been. Ditto on Ghost Hound. Sometimes less is more; the core stories were good, but there was so much fat (in Real Drive's case, pardon the pun ~_^) to make them really good.

I actually thought "Real Drive" was good as is. I mean, it's no "GitS," but it was still a neat little Sci-Fi series and I wish it would get licensed (though that's not likely).
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Excellent, this really deserved to succeed. I just hope someone licenses it soon.
Yorozuya

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I don't want to veer off topic, melonbread, but I am genuinely curious about anime distribution in the UK. I'm very confident that Eden of the East will get NA distribution at some point. Based on your earlier comment, even if that happens, you don't think that means it would get picked up in the UK, as well?

If something gets picked up for American release then there are normally region 2 releases that are made available at the same time <_<

The Uk doesn't have its own anime companies so I normally ship any stuff I get from amazon...
12skippy21

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Yorozuya wrote:
The Uk doesn't have its own anime companies so I normally ship any stuff I get from amazon...

Yeh, same here. Sometimes I find it transferred from Jersey so it saves a bomb in travel costs. Generally only very few NA releases reach our shores and it is rarely the good ones. My local HMV has Bleach and Naruto boxsets then random assortments of everything else, again rarely does the rest of series get here (I loathe this!). The anime sales over here are aimed more at younger ages from my point of view. God bless internet sales.
Greg Aubry

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Very much looking forward to these.

With this show, Kamiyama cemented his status as my current favorite director working today. A great follow-up to Stand-Alone Complex and Moribito, Eden of the East really shows his range while still allowing him to make GITS-like references to authors and the number 11. Every character is great and the setup is a blast.

I also, coincidentally enough, just found and watched all of Real Drive over the past week. Absolutely treasured it as a slice-of-life sci-fi series bookended by serious story arcs over the first four episodes and the last five or six. It certainly wasn't the "cyber-thriller" that IG advertised it as. Instead, it was breezy fun with some mildly serious overtones. And I suppose I'm in the minority that actually liked the kind of different aesthetic to the character designs. (Holon is great!)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3