• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Box Office Mojo-ka Magica

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joelgundam00

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:09 pm Reply with quote
I'll come out and say it. I enjoy watching harem titles. I personally like shows with super natural elements in them and harem titles always seem to deliver in that prospect.

When I see a new harem title coming out the question isn't, "Am I going to like it?" But, "How much am I going to like it?"

I really enjoy the character development and the simple story hooks that they usually possess. However, I don't go out of my way to defend the genre either, because it's one of those "love it or hate it" types of situations. The same thing can be said out Yaoi. I personally don't like the genre, but I'm not going to go out of my way and act like a "troll" about it either.

We all have different tastes and that means that we all like different things. I know this quite well, thanks to the game industry. I tend to lean towards the niche stuff, while most of my friends like the mainstream stuff. I usually respect their tastes as long as they respect mine. They don't have to like every game/show that I like, but I can usually can find some common ground with them on some shows/games. That's what counts in my book.

Oh and Brain, even though you're not a fan of harem titles. I still enjoy reading your column every week. Mainly because I'm also a fan of other genres/shows that you actually do enjoy (Gundam being one of them). Smile
stardf29

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:07 pm Reply with quote
I prefer saying that a show is of overall "low quality" (or, on the flip side, overall high quality).

But even that is generalizing. I have no problem admitting that overall, Infinite Stratos is of below-average quality, but even then, there are specific elements within the show that I find to be of good quality. And for me, it is those moments of good quality that can make a show worth watching even if the rest is below-average.

That's just how I am, though; I can ignore large amounts of "bad" stuff as long as there is even a modicum of "good" stuff that I can focus on. For others, all that bad stuff overwhelms them and makes them unable to find any of that good stuff. Nothing wrong with that; just the human brain working in two different ways.
Bonham

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:40 pm Reply with quote
With all this talk of purported objectivity, I wonder if dtm42 (or anyone else) is willing to say whether or not certain films by Jean-Luc Godard (Breathless, Contempt), Andrei Tarkovsky (Mirror, Stalker), Michelangelo Antonioni (L'avventura), and so on are objectively "good" or "bad" if we want to argue for an objective, systematic measurement of quality.

Mind you, I don't really have a dog in this fight (haven't watched Infinite Stratos, and honestly I can't imagine I'd ever care for it), but I'm interested in seeing strong arguments in favor of this belief, particularly for things that go against what people usually expect out of "good," quality entertainment.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Bonham wrote:
With all this talk of purported objectivity, I wonder if dtm42 (or anyone else) is willing to say whether or not certain films by Jean-Luc Godard (Breathless, Contempt), Andrei Tarkovsky (Mirror, Stalker), Michelangelo Antonioni (L'avventura), and so on are objectively "good" or "bad" if we want to argue for an objective, systematic measurement of quality.

I haven't seen any of those films or heard of Tarkovsky or Antonioni. I only know Godard by reputation, I've never seen any of his work.

There are quite a few movie buffs on the Forum, maybe one of them can help you.

kakoishii wrote:
...then I'd say it would be a good idea to stop hijacking the thread regarding this matter.

Oh no no no, don't try and pin this all on me. Like I said before, if people had simply accepted the truth right from the start then we all could have gotten on with our lives a lot sooner. All I said was that the Mecha-Harem Anime Infinite Stratos is a bad show, which it of course is. It was you guys who wanted to argue about objectivity and subjectivity. It was you guys who continued the discussion well past its natural expiration point with your repeated insistence that I provide proof when it's right there in the bloody show.

Instead of blaming me for "hijacking the thread", how about you consider your own actions.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Dtm42 didn't highjack the thread. He's been showing us all an example of elitist attitude: insisting that what he says is correct and that everyone should conform to his opinion. If we don't come to the same conclusions as him clearly there is a problem on our end since there's no way he's wrong.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Oh great, so now it is considered elitist to know the truth.

You don't know me Vaisaga, you don't know me at all.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:48 pm Reply with quote
I never claimed to know you. Notice how I said that your attitude was elitist. Your stance that your words are the absolute truth and there's something wrong with who ever disagrees is a very elitist thing to say.

You say that anyone who watches IS can tell how bad it is? Well I've seen the show at least 3 times and I've even read all 7 novels and at no point did I think it was bad (though I did read the Haganai novels right after and thought those were vastly superior). So your "watch it and you'll see how it's bad" argument is dead in the water. What you claim to be 'truth' is not universally applicable, therefore it's not a truth at all.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Well Vaisaga, it is clear you didn't read the post I linked to in my previous post. Especially the final paragraph. Kind of foolish of you, and rude too.

It is also clear that you failed to read this earlier post of mine. What I alluded to at the time but did not say is that you are simply unable to objectively judge quality (which isn't influenced by what we humans say it is). Your [insults removed] isn't surprising given that you (incorrectly) believe objectivity doesn't exist in the first place.

Objective truth is not something that is determined by consensus. There cannot be multiple objective truths, just the one. You can have your beliefs, your opinions, but they can be wrong. Infinite Stratos cannot be both good and bad. It is just bad, because that's what it is. You believing differently does not change that fact, just like if you believed the world is flat would not actually make it flat.

If this is what the rest of the thread is going to be like then I'm bailing out now.

Ciao.

Last edited by dtm42 on Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Bonham wrote:

Never saw any Tarkovsky sadly, love Breatless (but not a fan of Godard in general, prefer Truffaut in every way possible), also loved L'Avventura

But as for your question whether we can say if these films are objectively good or bad, we can't. We can however say that they are important to film.

The whole French/European New Wave was an exciting and creative time for film in general. Now I wonder what do you think are anime equivalents?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:28 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Your lack of judgement isn't surprising given that you (incorrectly) believe objectivity doesn't exist in the first place.

Objectivity is indeed impossible if it involves something like this. You can try to be as objective as possible but your own biases and tastes will influence you regardless.

There are objective truths like "the sun rises in the morning and sets in the evening" or "dogs are kept as pets" or "all humans will die one day."

Even when it comes to fictional works there is a degree of it. For example, the sentence "I are coming to the tonight party" is a bad sentence because it doesn't follow proper grammar rules. But there is no such rule saying "you can't have a single male surrounded by many females", so if you consider that to be 'bad writing' that isn't an objective truth, that's your opinion.

I could easily claim that IS being a good show is an objective truth, but who died and gave either of us the power to decide if something is the truth or not. But here you are saying "This is the truth because I say so." Good luck getting anyone to agree with you on that reasoning alone.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:33 pm Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:
Personally, I'm enjoying Neon Alley so far. Not that there aren't a few issues like the buffering and commercial placement. The first 2 days, the service was good but last night we had a lot of buffering problems. Also, it seems they keep changing the schedule around; I hope they get a more permanent one in place soon.

While VOD would be nice (and might happen, eventually) I personally don't mind a schedule, probably because I'm an older fan and can remember having to adhere to one. The only place I regularly watch streamed anime is Netflix but I don't watch it or even my dvds that much. So when it's always there, it's easy to not watch it. (Course that's not so much the case with Netflix, since they remove stuff after a while.) So, for me, it's like being a kid again and watching Saturday morning cartoons, except it's on all the time.

Anyway, they do repeat episodes, plus I believe these shows are or will be on dvd/blu-ray, which I think may be the main reason they started the channel in the first place. Of course, it may become VOD at some point and if successful, go onto other platforms.

Same here. I'm looking forward to seeing the schedule they settle into.

Just like how I make sure I watch Toonami each week. I guess I'm just used to real TV.

Maybe they can work out some kind of at least small-sized DVR function within the app that would fit a couple of eps to help the really busy people who really need on demand that badly and can't make any of the showings even when they repeat quite often to try to accommodate a lot of people even those of us who work. Anyway, I think they're repeating plenty of times that it doesn't have to be on demand.

Complaints about it being on one platform seem kinda premature since if successful it'll obviously expand, and while everyone has their favorite box, IMO the PS3 is the perfect place to hit first for this audience since I definitely think with the BD functions and majority of Japanese games (and anime games) that it's the most likely platform we have that's not a cable box. And I'm sure glad it's on all PS3s and it's not on specific providers since I know we'd never get it.

050795 wrote:
I think Viz has been really clear from the beginning that Neon Alley was a TV channel not an on demand service. I think the idea is good; my main problem with anime channels on TV in the past is that I live in a small town where anime channels were never offered. Neon Alley bypasses that problem and now anyone with a PS3 and internet connection can access an anime channel if they want.

Yup, I think it was pretty clear all along as well.

Same here, if this were a cable channel I know I'd never get it just like we never got the Funimation Channel.

Glory Questor wrote:
Good article, overall, however one thing does rub this old anime fan the wrong way somewhat:

Quote:
What if I only wanted to watch Tiger & Bunny or Berserk? I'd have to comb through their schedule list and plan ahead. THIS IS 2012. NO ONE DOES THIS ANYMORE BECAUSE IT IS IRRELEVANT. We are spoiled now.

Well, call me old-fashioned, since I do actually watch CW's Vortexx and Adult Swim's Toonami every weekend. Since this is what I grew up on in the 80's and 90's, I find myself enjoying TV channel format more and more. Not that I don't watch anime on the Internet (although I stick with Hulu and Crunchyroll's free ad-supported services), but I for one was glad that Toonami returned the way it was meant to be. So what if I could see all of those shows on demand? That's not really the point.

Completely agree with this, maybe because I'm also of the 80s and 90s too so I'm a huge fan of "real TV/Cable viewing" and love watching "live" Toonami every week (so glad to have it back).
Bonham

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Never saw any Tarkovsky sadly, love Breatless (but not a fan of Godard in general, prefer Truffaut in every way possible), also loved L'Avventura

But as for your question whether we can say if these films are objectively good or bad, we can't. We can however say that they are important to film.

Exactly! In fact, I mention all of this to illustrate how silly it is suggest whether we can determine a work of art is objectively good or bad. It's confusing objectivity with critical consensus and standards. Art is a very personal, thought-based media, which is hardly objective. Art is not a science; we cannot mathematically say, "Well, the characterization is 72% good, and the cinematography is 90% good, but the plot structure is 45%, and the sound design is 30%. Yet the plot is only 25% relevant to the film, so when we consider this and other variables..." We can have standards when it comes to craft, but to quantify all aspects and assign inarguable value is impossible because we cannot apply numbers to such things. (And statistical analysis is already problematic enough!)

Based on dtm42's general remarks and standards, I'm skeptical that he'd consider something like Tarkovsky's Stalker to be a good film: it takes Aristotle's three unities to the extreme with a minimal plot; the characters, while exchanging occasional humor, are types and not three-dimensional; it is incredibly slow-paced, with numerous tracking, static long shots and stretches with little to no dialogue; it aggressively defies a concrete, obvious interpretation; it has no apparent climatic resolution; and it's over two and a half hours long! Yet it is considered by my film critics, theorists and filmmakers to be a part of the canon, one of the best films ever made, and was included in the Sight & Sound 2012 Poll of the 50 greatest films of all time. And this isn't covering some of Tarkovsky's other films, or difficult works by Godard, Antonioni, Alain Renais, Glauber Rocha, Nagisa Oshima, Edward Yang, Tsai Ming-liang, Chris Marker, etc.

I know that's name-dropping a lot, and nearly all people on here won't recognize half (if any) of those names, but I think it's critical to show how big the world of film is -- which includes animation, and thus Japanese animation. Critical discussion and analysis is awesome, and people should be open to discuss why they think a film, series, novel, whatever is a great or terrible. Standards, consensus and theoretical knowledge are needed for such things, and frankly not all opinions are equally argued and articulated. But the quality of these art, experimental and mainstream works cannot be merely reduced to a phantom, "objective" checklist. There's nothing productive in insulting others for simply not sharing your opinion on a film or show.

By the way, I share your feelings on Godard, and agree with S&S's inclusion of Stalker (it's my second favorite film). I'm agnostic on Antonioni, although I love the cinematography in his films. You should give Solaris a try if you are curious about Tarkovsky. It's relatively accessible, and feels like a primer for his other films.

Quote:
The whole French/European New Wave was an exciting and creative time for film in general. Now I wonder what do you think are anime equivalents?

On a film nerd note, I would say exciting times if we include the Japanese New Wave, Brazilian New Wave, Czech New Wave, China's Fifth Generation, Taiwanese New Wave, etc.

As for your question, based on the "new waves" of film movements, I think we can set the criteria to be: (1) formally distinctive and roughly "experimental" styles and (2) works that are socially, politically or philosophically critical of their subjects (and culture). Two who immediately come to mind are Mamoru Oshii (Patlabor, Ghost in the Shell, Sky Crawlers) and Hiroshi Hamasaki (Texhnolyze, Shigurui). Hideaki Anno's Evangelion also qualifies, as does Ikuhara's Utena (I'm not as certain about Penguindrum). Aesthetically they all are far more film-minded than most other anime productions, and all are certainly critical of Japanese society (be it patriarchy, military attitudes, sexuality, hierarchy, social inertia, ideological rigidity, etc.)

Although I find Satoshi Kon to be not as formally adventurous and more narratively accessible, I think arguments could be made for him. Perhaps Masaaki Yuasa and other Studio 4C cohorts, although I'm uncertain about them fitting under the second criteria.

Edit: Forgot about Lain. That's an obvious one.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:27 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Objective truth is not something that is determined by consensus. There cannot be multiple objective truths, just the one. You can have your beliefs, your opinions, but they can be wrong. Infinite Stratos cannot be both good and bad. It is just bad, because that's what it is. You believing differently does not change that fact, just like if you believed the world is flat would not actually make it flat.

It doesn't work that way. Art is entirely subjective, it's not bad because you say it is because it is up to the viewer to determine that. This "my opinion is fact and everyone else is beneath me" attitude is what got you in hot water last time so I suggest you cool it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Bonham wrote:

Exactly! In fact, I mention all of this to illustrate how silly it is suggest whether we can determine a work of art is objectively good or bad.

Completely agree

Quote:
And this isn't covering some of Tarkovsky's other films, or difficult works by Godard, Antonioni, Alain Renais, Glauber Rocha, Nagisa Oshima, Edward Yang, Tsai Ming-liang, Chris Marker, etc.

I know that's name-dropping a lot, and nearly all people on here won't recognize half (if any) of those names,

I consider myself a film buff and I don't know all of them. I admit the only one that we haven't talked about before I know is Alain Renais. Although my personal interest in film (Hollywood & foreign) skews a bit older.

Quote:
You should give Solaris a try if you are curious about Tarkovsky. It's relatively accessible, and feels like a primer for his other films.

Solaris and also Andrei Rublev and Ivan's Childhood are definitely on my to watch list.

I took the time to watch a lot of film when I was unemployed but now I am working and going to school full time, so needless to say I have less time for it.

Quote:
As for your question, based on the "new waves" of film movements, I think we can set the criteria to be: (1) formally distinctive and roughly "experimental" styles and (2) works that are socially, politically or philosophically critical of their subjects (and culture). Two who immediately come to mind are Mamoru Oshii (Patlabor, Ghost in the Shell, Sky Crawlers) and Hiroshi Hamasaki (Texhnolyze, Shigurui). Hideaki Anno's Evangelion also qualifies, as does Ikuhara's Utena (I'm not as certain about Penguindrum). Aesthetically they all are far more film-minded than most other anime productions, and all are certainly critical of Japanese society (be it patriarchy, military attitudes, sexuality, hierarchy, social inertia, ideological rigidity, etc.)

Although I find Satoshi Kon to be not as formally adventurous and more narratively accessible, I think arguments could be made for him. Perhaps Masaaki Yuasa and other Studio 4C cohorts, although I'm uncertain about them fitting under the second criteria.

Edit: Forgot about Lain. That's an obvious one.

So you would say the renaissance for anime took place mostly in the 90's. I'd actually agree with this, even though I actually prefer a lot of anime from the early 2000's, today and even the 70's-80's over the 90's (with exceptions of course).

Last edited by Maidenoftheredhand on Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
maaya

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
There are objective truths like "the sun rises in the morning and sets in the evening" or "dogs are kept as pets"

And those simple examples aren't even true for every place on earth, so establishing objective criteria for art is really difficult.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10