• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Are Japanese fans critical of their own VAs?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DomonX2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:06 am Reply with quote
I know that a lot English language fans of this site don't particularly like English VAs and can be vocal about it, but do Japanese people do the same to their domestic actors? Since Shinn from Gundam SEED Destiny was critically panned(as a whole) as a character in that country, I heard rumors that some Japanese hated Kenichi Suzumura's performance as that character and I also heard that some people spat at him as well. Yukana was also attacked for replacing Saeko Shimazu and people said stuff about her.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:46 am Reply with quote
Of course they are. We may be in different countries, but we are talking about humans, here.

Though what generally makes news over here is how seiyuu fans can get pretty stalkerish. During Christmas there's an online event where fans will keep an eye on VA's blogs and such, making sure any pictures posted match the date and supposed locations, etc, to make sure the VA isn't really out with a boyfriend.

When it gets leaked that they do (or even the slightest possibility) have a boyfriend, fans will flip out, saying how the VA is ruined forever, isn't pure anymore, etc etc. It's pretty pathetic, really.

Then you got VAs like Aya Hirano that 'abandoned' voice work to do more TV appearences, and it turned out she'd sleep with her band mates all the time, etc etc. Caused all her fans to turn on her.

Male VAs don't get off easy either. Poor Mamoru Miyano, announces his marriage and impending fatherhood, after doctors had told him he might be sterile, and he got a lot of hate from his so called fans. Just awful.

I'm sure japanese fans will criticise their actual performances based on the quality of the acting, but like I said, it just doesn't make the news over here.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:51 pm Reply with quote
@Vaisaga

"...What generally makes news over here is how seiyuu fans can get pretty stalkerish. During Christmas, there's an online event where fans will keep an eye on VAs' blogs and such, making sure any pictures posted match the date and supposed locations, etc., to make sure the VA isn't really out with a boyfriend."

This...pretty much explains why I never find myself visiting blogs of any VA. That fact that you're being watched and then verbally attacked for fulfilling the natural urge to pursue other interests is indeed frightening...even treacherous.
EricJ

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:41 pm Reply with quote
There's a fourth-wall line in Oh! Edo Rocket, to the effect of our heroine musing about her (vacant Tokyo-teen) dreams a la an idol interview, and adding "And I think I'd like to audition to be an anime seiyuu".
To which another character grumbles, "Yeah, just like every teenage girl... Rolling Eyes "

Think the image of a fan or idol wanting to get into seiyuudom is treated on the level of the Actor Who Really Wants To Direct.
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:50 pm Reply with quote
DomonX2 wrote:
Are Japanese fans critical of their own VAs?

Yes.

Recently I skimmed through a 'Who is the worst voice actor/actress that merely recites his/her lines in a monotone?' thread on 2ch, and the provisional worst 5 seemed to be:

Omigawa Chiaki
Hanazawa Kana
Sakamoto Maaya
Yoshino Hiroyuki
Hosoya Yoshimasa

getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:03 pm Reply with quote
2ch doesnt like Hana Kanazawa?
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:26 pm Reply with quote
hyojodoji wrote:
Recently I skimmed through a 'Who is the worst voice actor/actress that merely recites his/her lines in a monotone?' thread on 2ch, and the provisional worst 5 seemed to be:

Omigawa Chiaki
Hanazawa Kana
Sakamoto Maaya
Yoshino Hiroyuki
Hosoya Yoshimasa

I don't agree with this list at all. It strikes me as a "let's hate on popular Seiyuu" list rather than judging actual skill.

Chiaki Omigawa is not that good but she's not awful either. Probably just needs more roles.

Kana Hanazawa uses pretty much the same voice for everything and is grossly overused (she's in seven currently airing shows, eight if you include the upcoming Saki Side A episodes). But she can put in good performances and inflect emotion and humour well.

Maaya Sakamoto; are you kidding me?

Hiroyuki Yoshino was superb as Bossun in SKET Dance. He was alright in other shows I've seen, such as Allison & Lillia.

Yoshimasa Hosoya has done several roles where his character has a different accent than what people in Kantō are used to. His portrayal of Arata in Chihayafuru was stilted but he was very impressive as Sentarō in Kids on The Slope. I also thought he put in a fairly good performance as Nezumi (Rat) in No. 6. He definitely has talent.

Moral of the story, don't trust 2ch rankings.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:32 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
It strikes me as a "let's hate on popular Seiyuu" list rather than judging actual skill.

Yeah, that's likely what it is.

The only problem I sometimes have is with new VAs. There's just this quality to their voices that stick out. But I recognise them as new talent and after more roles that quality disappears. Chiaki Omigawa is one such case, another is Megumi Nakajima.
Adam Wednesdays

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:05 pm Reply with quote
[quote="dtm42"]
hyojodoji wrote:

I don't agree with this list at all. It strikes me as a "let's hate on popular Seiyuu" list rather than judging actual skill.

It probably is. That's what these discussions usually are, or degenerate into, for English speaking fans. It's not surprising it would be the same in any another country.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:12 pm Reply with quote
I can see the reasoning for Kana Hana, she sounds breathing and boring sometimes. I remember the negative feedback for Chiaki Omigawa from her Soul Eater debut, but I personally dig her voice and wish she'd get more lead roles.
DomonX2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:30 am Reply with quote
LOL it's funny how some Japanese tore Maaya limb from limb, but that would NEVER, EVER happen in the USA or overseas!
Riddley

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:06 am Reply with quote
I don't have an ear for all the little nuances in Japanese seiyuu work sadly. There are some I inherently think are really brilliant. But most of the time they mostly sound the same to me.

One thing that bothers me though is the overuse of verbal nods across all anime. Particularly when something surprising happens or something they didn't expect and there's the constant sharp intake of breath. It's like they have sound bite file that they use every time that happens.

I have to say it's scary as hell if the Japanese fans are nearly as stalkerish as I've read and you guys seem to posit.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:43 am Reply with quote
Riddley wrote:
I have to say it's scary as hell if the Japanese fans are nearly as stalkerish as I've read and you guys seem to posit.

What, you mean to tell me you don't read Sankaku Complex?

It's hilarious.

To explain, many such stories of Otaku going overboard and stalking Seiyuu are reported by Sankaku Complex.
dragon695

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:05 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Riddley wrote:

What, you mean to tell me you don't read Sankaku Complex?

It's hilarious.

To explain, many such stories of Otaku going overboard and stalking Seiyuu are reported by Sankaku Complex.

It can be pretty off-the-wall sometimes, but I think their coverage of the purity patrols is accurate. After all, someone has to be attached to the cell phones snapping pictures at weird hours of the night.
Riddley

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:39 pm Reply with quote
O_o

scary. I'm going to go back to hiding in my little corner of anime fandom naivety.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2