• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - ANTI-PIRACY HYSTERIA

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:03 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Agreeing on which things go to which category is really irrelevant though. What matters is how much, on average, people think are crud, e.g. ask a million population how much each thinks is crud and average it out. Some may say 10%; some may say 90%. If the average turns out to be, say, 70%, then that's what that population thinks - that 70% of what they see they consider crud. As ya can see, we didn't even have to ask which things they agree on, just how much they consider are crud.

But then you run into the issue where most of what they will say is "crud" are things they've never even seen, which makes the entire exercise worthless. You can't say something is crud unless you actually watch it, since at that point you're just ASSUMING its crud.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:21 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
Agreeing on which things go to which category is really irrelevant though. What matters is how much, on average, people think are crud, e.g. ask a million population how much each thinks is crud and average it out. Some may say 10%; some may say 90%. If the average turns out to be, say, 70%, then that's what that population thinks - that 70% of what they see they consider crud. As ya can see, we didn't even have to ask which things they agree on, just how much they consider are crud.

But then you run into the issue where most of what they will say is "crud" are things they've never even seen, which makes the entire exercise worthless. You can't say something is crud unless you actually watch it, since at that point you're just ASSUMING its crud.

Hmmmm............ Maybe put a qualifier like: "only out of all those you've seen/played/used/etc., how much do you think is crud?" It's not the things themselves that matter; it's the numbers we're looking, after all.
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:41 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Hmmmm............ Maybe put a qualifier like: "only out of all those you've seen/played/used/etc., how much do you think is crud?" It's not the things themselves that matter; it's the numbers we're looking, after all.

But people select for the kind of crud they enjoy and drop the kind of crud they don't. People are not going to watch everything broadcast in a season in order to verify with 100% certainty that they only enjoyed a half of it, or a third of it, or a quarter of it.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:49 pm Reply with quote
@enurtsol

Since we are talking anime: I have a small list of things I don't want in the house and a small list of things in the "excellent" catagory. Everything else qualifies as entertaining. Of course the list is biased by the fact that I thought they would be good in the first place. Very few people deliberately watch things they think they will hate.

I honestly don't think we should be using percentages. That lends a sense of spurious accuracy to what is basically a SWAC (scientific wild assed guess). That is the problem with Sturgeon's law.

@agila61
I wasn't aware the terms had formal definitions. You have to be deeply cynical to classify everything less than a masterpiece as "shit" which, I understand, the term originally used.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:17 pm Reply with quote
smashwagon wrote:
Ugh. Can we please dump Sturgeon's Law into the rubbish bin designed to contain all other reasoning fallacies? It is simply a way for certain people to justify their scathing cynicism.

I wish. Rather than try to make sweeping generalizations and made up statistics, why not just talk about specific shows and specific things you like/dislike? Is that really too much to ask?

There's about 80 anime currently airing in Japan right now. I'm watching about 30 currently. Roughly 40%. I don't think the other 50 are bad, they just either don't interest me as much so they're on backlog for a later time, or something I don't have interest in watching to begin with, but I'm not cynical enough to say they're crap or anything. There's probably too much anime out there at any one time to make any kind of generalized complaints against it. Not unless you sit down to watch all 80 and make an assessment of currently airing shows at that time; which I don't know about you, but I have no interest in doing.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:20 pm Reply with quote
There's nothing wrong with Sturgeon's Law itself - it's just horribly misused(in fact, one might say 90% of its usage is crap). Let's see some context, shall we?
Theodore Sturgeon wrote:
I repeat Sturgeon’s Revelation, which was wrung out of me after twenty years of wearying defense of science fiction against attacks of people who used the worst examples of the field for ammunition, and whose conclusion was that ninety percent of SF is crud. Using the same standards that categorize 90% of science fiction as trash, crud, or crap, it can be argued that 90% of film, literature, consumer goods, etc. are crap. In other words, the claim (or fact) that 90% of science fiction is crap is ultimately uninformative, because science fiction conforms to the same trends of quality as all other artforms.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:28 pm Reply with quote
@ Polycell

Cool, however, it is still wrong unless you are horribly elitist. At the time 90% of science fiction was not crap, and neither is any other medium.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:29 pm Reply with quote
The point

Your head
Lavnovice9

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:07 pm Reply with quote
@Soundmonkey44
That is OK. I am just curious because I see some fans of American animation say it's just as good as anime but I also never list any shows. I admit I am not an expert on the subject. I stopped watching cartoons a long time ago and have only seen a few here and there flicking the television. If there are shows just as good out there I would love to see them. Do you or anyone else think they could fill out a chart divided by genre like this anime one or have one on hand? It might be a good way to help make people aware of these shows and avoid confrontations like this in the future.

http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/8302/recqi.jpg
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:11 pm Reply with quote
@Lavi: The thing is, as i'm sure you know entertainment media is highly subjective/opinionative, I mentioned some pretty good toons in my past posts but others have dismissed them. I think people all to often judge a toon by its cover. Sure most domestic animations are all-ages/kids shows, but again, kid, adult, teen, these things are just descriptors, any show in any bracket has the potential to be good or bad, but speaking in specifics I would again argue for..

Action/Adventure

Avatar/Legend Of Korra: (Nick/NickToons) Again yeah its inspired by Anime & Asian Kung-Fu flicks, but its still a great work on its own merit, and it deffinantly has more depth, character development & world building overall then the vast majority of shonen people compare it to

Generator Rex: (Cartoon Network) One of the many (yet sadly short lived) Action cartoons on CN, Generator Rex is essentially a fusion of X-Men & Evolution with a tiny dash of cyberpunk added to it, its a pretty neat toon, sadly it only got 3 seasons on CN before being cut, but they do still show reruns from time to time and you can download it all off of itunes &/or PSN

Samurai Jack: (Boomerang) Samurai Jack not only has a fun visual style but is pretty much (like the Pixar Film Wall-E) all about the emphasis of "Actions Speak Louder Then Words" The series focuses on the visuals and the sounds of the environment over dialogue for the most part, and I for one love it for doing so.

Thundercats (Cartoon Network/Toonami)

Yeah yeah, it was animated by Studio 4C In Japan but it was still created and Written by the peeps at Warner Bros. Animation.

Young Justice: (Boomerang/Cartoon Network) Loosely based (very loosely) on the old Young Justice comic books, the series focuses on the younger DC heroes & heroines, but in a more serious, more character driven way then Teen Titans, even the style is more like a comic book/ graphic novel, as opposed to the amerimie style of Teen Titans.

Comedy/Slice Of Life

Adventure Time: (Cartoon Network) The story of a boy named Finn & his dog Jake and their adventures in the land of Ooo, the series started out fairly random & simple but has evolved into something great!

Dan VS: (HUB TV Network) A cynical comedy about a 20 something year old man who is essentially mad at everything and is constantly trying to get revenge at whatever pisses him off that week, simple, but elegant, and fun.

My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic (Hub TV Network): I know I know Bronies are annoying, the memes get old, etc etc & so on. But the show is really good, not only does it have a team of writers, producers, storyboard artists, etc that have worked in the animation biz for decades, but it also has more character development & world building then any past incarnation or any other "little girls" show the U.S. has ever pumped out. Like Adventure time its essentially a really fun fantasy series for all age groups/genders to enjoy, if they are open minded & open hearted enough to give it a chance. Also its one of the very few shows that teaches morals without shoving them down the viewers throat, but rather has the lesson be the logical conclusion the character would come to after the events of an episode *Like trusting your instincts even when no one else trusts you and your brothers bride to be is actually an impostor and evil changeling queen hellbent on taking over the kingdom*

Regular Show (Cartoon Network): A Surreal comedy about two young 20 something toons hat work at a park, lots of 80's & 90's pop culture references in this one.

All of these are 21st century or just 2010 decade animations that are pretty solid overall, they have good writing, fun visual styles, quality animation (for the most part) and most have a nice amount of character development & world building that you might not expect from domestic animations.

So yea Mr/Ms? Lavnoice, I would highly suggest giving all &/or any of these toons a chance, they may not end up impressing you as much as they have me or as much as anime does *again I realize this is an anime forum and i am most likely in the minority of people here that loves domestic & foreign animation equally* But I feel that if given a good look and a fair shake all can be highly enjoyable & entertaining.

Also, you never stopped watching cartoons Lav, ANIME ARE CARTOONS TOO!!! *Just from our buddies in Japan* Cool Laughing *runs away from angry fans*
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:56 am Reply with quote
Some of the best attended events at the large Comic Cons are Adult Swim series. Obviously that means many people are fond of 'em.
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:42 am Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
Also, you never stopped watching cartoons Lav, ANIME ARE CARTOONS TOO!!! *Just from our buddies in Japan* Cool Laughing *runs away from angry fans*

you know that's pretty much like saying something like das rheingold is the same as something like Mary poppins.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:

Why are you even here?
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Soundmonkey44 wrote:

Why are you even here?

Because he's a fan of anime? Anime--Western Animation is not a black-white dichotomy, jesus christ.

yurihellsing wrote:
Soundmonkey44 wrote:

you know that's pretty much like saying something like das rheingold is the same as something like Mary poppins.

Nice No True Scotsman there. Just admit that you have no argument and rely on denial of facts in order to make yourself feel "mature".
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Soundmonkey44 wrote:

Why are you even here?

Because he's a fan of anime? Anime--Western Animation is not a black-white dichotomy, jesus christ.

yurihellsing wrote:
Soundmonkey44 wrote:

Nice No True Scotsman there. Just admit that you have no argument and rely on denial of facts in order to make yourself feel "mature".

Ok then let me put it another way it's like comparing a good 12 year old scotch to Jack Daniels as in they're both a whisky but one is a scotch the other is a bourbon in the same way that animé and cartoons are both animation and made in the same way but are still separate things.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 16