• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2009-09-25]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:01 pm Reply with quote
BunnyCupCakes wrote:
But that's just Bleach.

What about the other shows? Code Geass, Morbito...etc?
I don't think I ever saw a promotion/commercial about those series.

I remember back in the old days, they had one for every show. They promoted Inuyasha quite alot too. But now, it's just Bleach. It's basically the only anime-related show they live off from.

You can't just blame the ratings & viewers for being so low when you don't even try to advertise it at all yourself. That's laziness. Yeah, money is hard to come by but you can't just expect to sit on your ass all day and wait for the money to come in.

That and AS changes their schedules quite alot. That was another reason why I went "screw it" & stopped watching their stuff.

AS hasn't changed their anime schedule in like a year. They did a bit of minor shifting with Bleach once for a couple months, but it was only a 30 minute shift, and they had bumps about it.

Moribito doesn't get its own bumps, but it does get shown anytime there's a bump showing off Saturdays, which is often enough. It doesn't get major name drops, but it does get advertised. I've seen at least 2 AS Saturday promos that include Moribito, one of which just started this week.

Code Geass is over, any promotion arguments would be moot now. Code Geass was a huge success online in the fansub circles, maybe AS just expected those people to watch it on tv, and spread the word of mouth online. They'd have no reason not to watch, as long as they had access to AS.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Quark

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:20 pm Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:
Of course, there is the fear (probably not entirely unfounded) that if mainstream America encountered anime, they'd try to ban it.

What. You're not actually serious when you say that, are you? You do realize that one of the things that the States is founded on is freedom of speech. If they try to ban anime, then they're going against the principles that their country is built on.
Not to mention that anime is for the most part fairly tame, and unoffensive. If movies like Martyrs and Antichrist can get released in the US without so much as a peep, than things like anime are pretty much safe.

Anyway, as a Canadian, I've got next to zero knowledge of Cartoon Network and Adult Swim. However, YTV played quite a bit of anime, and seemed to treat it with more respect than Adult Swim seemingly has.
[Rant]Personally, I think the problem is that people nowadays just want more Seth McFarlane cartoons, and any show that isn't completely nihilistic and hateful towards everything, while also catering to the ADD crowd is suddenly not good enough.
I mean, Fox up and cancelled King of the Hill, which had a much gentler style of humour, with good writing, and likeable characters, so that they could make way for the Cleveland Show. Fox may as well change the name of their Sunday night line-up to 'The Seth McFarlane Domination' as, aside from the Simpsons, everything is Seth McFarlane cartoons.[/Rant]

Also, sorry to any fans of Seth McFarlane. I realize he's not really to blame, his cartoons are what people want, but it's just frustrating that people don't want cartoons with proper writing and actual stories anymore.
eyevocal

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:23 pm Reply with quote
I tried to E-mail a reply to the Hey, Answerfans! question this week and got a "mail refused" error from the address the Answerfans address forwards to (which I won't post here). If this doesn't get sorted out soon, should I just post it here?
eyevocal

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:27 pm Reply with quote
I tried to E-mail a reply to the Hey, Answerfans! question this week and got a "mail refused" error from the address the Answerfans address forwards to (which I won't post here). If this doesn't get sorted out soon, should I just post it here?
pparker

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Quark wrote:
If movies like Martyrs and Antichrist can get released in the US without so much as a peep, than things like anime are pretty much safe.

You're talking about entertainment for adults. Cartoons are for kids, you know, and we must protect them from finding out what really goes on til they are 18. Otherwise they might develop their own opinions and disagree with the way we do things around here Wink.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Quark, you apparently missed the last part of that paragraph, so here it is:

Which of course, would make it popular.
Very Happy

Oops, forgot quotes. But yes I'm aware of the whole freedom of speech thing. But as pparker just mentioned we have this whole "think of the children" mentality going on here and cartoons/animation are still considered mostly for kids. Yes, there are some cartoons for older audiences but they're all comedies. The idea that animation can be anything more is foreign to most mainstream Americans. Though that's slowly changing, hopefully.

As for Cartoon Network, it's mostly a kids channel. Most anime is shown on Adult Swim, which airs on Cartoon Network but only late at night when most of the kiddies have supposedly gone to bed.
ParagonDoD

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Hahaha, the Spice and Wolf response to the Answerfans was great.
Splitter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Quark wrote:
rinmackie wrote:
Of course, there is the fear (probably not entirely unfounded) that if mainstream America encountered anime, they'd try to ban it.

What. You're not actually serious when you say that, are you? You do realize that one of the things that the States is founded on is freedom of speech. If they try to ban anime, then they're going against the principles that their country is built on.
Not to mention that anime is for the most part fairly tame, and unoffensive. If movies like Martyrs and Antichrist can get released in the US without so much as a peep, than things like anime are pretty much safe.

Anyway, as a Canadian, I've got next to zero knowledge of Cartoon Network and Adult Swim. However, YTV played quite a bit of anime, and seemed to treat it with more respect than Adult Swim seemingly has.
[Rant]Personally, I think the problem is that people nowadays just want more Seth McFarlane cartoons, and any show that isn't completely nihilistic and hateful towards everything, while also catering to the ADD crowd is suddenly not good enough.
I mean, Fox up and cancelled King of the Hill, which had a much gentler style of humour, with good writing, and likeable characters, so that they could make way for the Cleveland Show. Fox may as well change the name of their Sunday night line-up to 'The Seth McFarlane Domination' as, aside from the Simpsons, everything is Seth McFarlane cartoons.[/Rant]

Also, sorry to any fans of Seth McFarlane. I realize he's not really to blame, his cartoons are what people want, but it's just frustrating that people don't want cartoons with proper writing and actual stories anymore.

I'm going off-topic here, I know, but I saw a magazine ad for "Animation Domination"... it's Seth MacFarlene characters and the Simpsons crammed into the lower left corner. I felt sick.
Quark

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:

I'm going off-topic here, I know, but I saw a magazine ad for "Animation Domination"... it's Seth MacFarlene characters and the Simpsons crammed into the lower left corner. I felt sick.

And that's essentially what Fox was doing to King of the Hill when it was still on. They'd have ads, where they totally hyped up the Simpsons, Family Guy, and American Dad! but totally glossed over King of the Hill. It was almost like the show was an afterthought, or some embarrassing thing that they had to hide.
I've been wanting Simpsons to end for years, but...not at the hands of Seth McFarlane.

rinmackie - sorry about that. I wasn't sure if you were joking or not, but I've heard people express that sentiment in all seriousness.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:32 pm Reply with quote
RogueJedi86 wrote:
I think AS themselves are anime fanboys, and just air shows they like. That's why they air shows like Moribito and Blood+ and Trinity Blood that are nothing like their usual ratings grabbers like Bleach(and their comedies). Plus the bit another user said about the Anime fanbase being small but dedicated and constant.

it's cause of AS relationship with production i.g that's heavily related to the moribito series that it's continuing.

Also it's not AS fault that thay have really crappy timeslots.They have to abide by the FCC's Rules & regulations,otherwise they would've had eailer timeslots which is unfortunate cause it's those bad timelines that killed most anime that shows on AS.

In other words CN and it's AS block dont hate anime.It's far from it. Cause it's anime like Gundam Wing as well as Inuyasha,FMA,Cowboy Bebop & Big O II that made it's blocks popular in the first place. But those stupid FCC R&R and those timeslots really gave AS a bad rep for anime on TV.

And with Naruto Shippuden on Disney X.D where everyone was expecting it to be on Adult Siwim or on CN, it really didn't do the company any favours in anime fans eyes at all.

At least bleach is still popular on AS,and pocket monsters diamond & pearl as well as Bakguan which i like but dont like it's dub co are still decent kids animes for the CN block so anime on either CN or AS it's not dead by a long shot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:10 pm Reply with quote
I am grateful there is any anime on TV. Thankful for the invention of the DVR, otherwise I wouldn't be able to watch much of Adultswim's programming.

That said, it was AS's attitude on-air toward anime that bothered me, but it is probably as Brian said, that they want flame wars on their forums.
Prede

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Annf wrote:
kakoishii wrote:
The only thing AS gets is money from ad-revenue which apparently for anime is low.

Sounds like, if it's just too small a market for normal advertising revenue to make sense, maybe the system as a whole needs to change.

Instead of channels like AS buying shows in the hopes of ad revenue, the people who do own the DVD/merchandise rights and who'll make money off that could pay AS (or other channels) to air it, i.e. they'd sponsor their own show, maybe put it in the same (relatively) inexpensive middle-of-the-night timeslots as infomericals, and just advertise their own products (DVDs, soundtracks, books, whatever) during the breaks, basically use TV as a promotion to sell the DVDs and related stuff.

(not sure if this was commented to before, but mine as well say it anyway)

The R1 anime companies DO give Adult Swim money to air their shows. Geneon and Bandai spent a lot to get a ton of their shows on Adult Swim in the past. Funimation and Sony has done this as well. The only company that probally gets something back from the TV airing of their shwos is Viz Media, since their stuff still kills in the ratings. Normally a TV channel pays to get the rights to a show, but since anime iss so niche, and doesn't do very well in the raitings most of the time, the only way most of the stuff is getting on TV now-a-days is by the company who licensed it paying Adult Swim to air it. You see at first I'd imagine Adult Swim payed a little bit of money to air anime early on, but when it became clear that getting you show on Adult Swim meant the DVD's would sell a lot better, they got swirmed with companies wanting their stuff on their channel. Adult Swim really didn't want more of the stuff, but the companies figured out even if they have to spend money to get the show on Adult Swim, it will still make them more money in the long run, sinse it gets their shows more well known. I don't think Adult Swim really wanted to deal with anime that much, but they couldn't turn down cold hard cash.

But this is also another reason why there hasn't been too much more new stuff on Adult Swim. With Geneon out of the picture, none of their stuff is getting on the channel anymore. Since Funimation got really big, they are now getting most of the new shows. And they really don't see much of a point anymore in getting their stuff on TV by giving money to Adult Swim anymore. It probally doesn't help DVD sales out as much as it used to, and they now have other means (VOD channel, TV channel, online streaming, lots of adds, etc) of getting the name of their shows out there to the masses. It seems to be working...sometimes at least. They probally won't spend the money to get another show on TV unless they really feel that the show calls for it. Myabe the new FMA and/or Soul Eater will show up on Adult Swim, but don't expect too much more from Funi for that channel. They seem to be tired of having to spend money to air their shows, to sell DVD's.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:28 am Reply with quote
Quote:
By and large, shoujo anime just dies when it's released on DVD shelves. Why that is, I don't know,

Probably because fan-girls don't shop at male geek hang-outs like Best Buy. Not to mention that fan-boys only watch anime for wish-fulfillment or gore and T+A. Plus, shoujo doesn't get the same kind of promotion as other anime. Does anyone remember the time they broadcast Marmalade Boy and Gals on AS? No? Well, there you have it. What else? Fan-boys of shojo don't want to admit they are fans, so that's a dead-end, too.
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:58 am Reply with quote
I like the "Love/Hate" theory. If you go back and look at their early bumps on YouTube, they clearly promoted the hell out of their anime block. They loved anime so much they co-produced Big O season 2. Adult Swim pretty much started as the spiritual successor to Toonami's Midnight Run. But clearly, things have changed since the days of DBZ, when people would watch and eat up whatever CN put on at midnight. The viewership just ate up the Family Guy/Futurama reruns, and like any network, they had to cut what wasn't working. So, that meant a lot of anime. Except for Inuyasha. Inuyasha stayed around forever.
ninjaclown

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:43 am Reply with quote
Quark wrote:
Splitter wrote:

And that's essentially what Fox was doing to King of the Hill when it was still on. They'd have ads, where they totally hyped up the Simpsons, Family Guy, and American Dad! but totally glossed over King of the Hill. It was almost like the show was an afterthought, or some embarrassing thing that they had to hide.
I've been wanting Simpsons to end for years, but...not at the hands of Seth McFarlane.

rinmackie - sorry about that. I wasn't sure if you were joking or not, but I've heard people express that sentiment in all seriousness.

I'm not sure what you mean, The Simpsons are about to go for their 21st season, but King of the Hill has been cancelled to make way for yet another Seth MacFarlane spinoff. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4