• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Forum Tournament Interest Survey

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:59 pm Reply with quote
But there's no point in having a tournament which is a partial rehash of an earlier tournament. I mean, the number of new contenders in a new Most Evil tournament would be not be enough, and none of them would hold a candle to Johan (the winner of the first one). A second tournament would be a foregone conclusion.

At least Most Moe Redux would not be boring. It would be fresh and would bring in a lot of new participants.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:13 pm Reply with quote
We won't be doing Best Hero/Heroine again, as it wasn't that far back. I'm dubious about doing Most Evil again, for the same reasons that dtm42 has stated. And while Most Moe is the most feasible option for redoing (again, for reasons that dtm42 stated), there has been significant resistance to that notion.

Expect that something new will be done, unless there is a big groundswell of report for a repeat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Well, I will participate in whatever tournament the voting process comes up with. If people really don't like Most Moe Redux then they should not vote for it.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Good excuse to try and get back into the forums more. I'm in. Vote for Best Love Triangle?
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:02 pm Reply with quote
TatsuGero23 wrote:
Vote for Best Love Triangle?

Best Love Triangle actually sounds pretty interesting.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I could get behind that one, though I don't think it would be my first choice. It definitely has some possibilities though that goes beyond what we've done before, which is always a plus for me.
rosebrook11

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:13 am Reply with quote
I like the idea of Best Love Triangle!
rheiders

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:30 am Reply with quote
Best Love Triangle sounds interesting! Smile
Raftina

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:07 am Reply with quote
Best Love Triangle sounds like a more interesting topic than the others.

One of the complaints I had about the tournaments is that while the subject matter is quite different, the entrants may or may not be. Suppose the next topic is Best Leader, then we will certainly see the same information being tread out about Roy Mustang, Yang Wenli, Motoko Kusanagi, Lelouch Lamperouge, etc. A different topic that fails to draw out new content is tiresome to me.
Cow-Boy_Be-Bop

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:10 am Reply with quote
TatsuGero23 wrote:
Good excuse to try and get back into the forums more. I'm in. Vote for Best Love Triangle?

I think you just blew everyones mind with your idea.

I like it
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:18 am Reply with quote
LOL, TatsuGero23 has this locked down.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:19 am Reply with quote
I like the ideas of Best Moe Character, Best Leader / Mentor or Best World Building, although that last one could wait until the subsequent tournament.

Should Best Love Triangle be re-thought as Best Love Polygon or, perhaps, Best Love Dilemma?

Something like Toradora! deserves to be there but it's more than a triangle. I know a polygon tournament would bring in harems but is that a bad thing?

Best Love Dilemma (I'm sure it could have a snappier title) could include something like Kimi Ni Todoke that, while it has a couple of so-so triangles, also has a great central couple who can't see the wood for the trees. Such a tournament could include polygons and any other romantic problems facing the protagonists. It could even bring in Koi Kaze. Now, there's a dilemma.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:28 am Reply with quote
I agree that we should include polygons and not just limit it to triangles. The number of triangles is smaller than people think; even the first Macross series has a love polygon instead of a triangle (Hikaru, Misa, Minmay and Kaifun).

I don't think Harems will be a problem. I expect that people will automatically weed all but the best of them out in the nominations phase.

I'd rather have Best Love Polygon than Best Love Dilemma, as the latter is a bit too vague for my tastes.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:30 am Reply with quote
No, Best Love Dilemma is too broad and vague; it would pull in a lot of borderline options.

Best Love Polygon is awkward and less specific, to the point of potentially being problematic; how do you describe the geometry in something like Urusei Yatsura, for instance? While it would be more limiting, Best Love Triangle would be tighter and more clearly-definable.

And it's hardly like this is the first time it's been suggested. It's been mentioned a few times over the years as an option.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:32 am Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
Should Best Love Triangle be re-thought as Best Love Polygon or, perhaps, Best Love Dilemma?

Uh-oh, I think someone needs to start working on the School Rumble Love Tesseract now so it'll be ready in time for nominations.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6