• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragon Ball Z Kai's Japanese Cast Records New Episodes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:27 am Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
Considering the show's not airing in Japan...

Of course it will, most likely after it airs here just like with Ultimate Muscle's second season.
Divineking

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:28 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Divineking wrote:
Heck I'm half expecting the new movie to look like it's from the 80's. You never know with Toei...

Do you realize that an 80s style (100% hand drawn and colored characters, no CGI special effects, no 3D models of buildings or cars) would cost Toei more money than doing it 21st century style?

I meant it looking like an old show rather than newer, shinier animation. You know, what Kai was lacking the entierty of it's run.
sainta

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:32 am Reply with quote
The Buu saga is probably the worst arc from the show considering all the super powers they had (Goku going Super Saiyan 3 three was ridiculous) and the failed message it had (Goku wanted to the next generation to kill Buu but he ended riping off the Namek arc by creating a giant Spirit Bomb). No wonder Toriyama was getting tired of the manga. When Kai ended with the Cell saga I found it was a good way to the end the story.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:26 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Wait... so they're making the Buu Saga... but it won't air in Japan?
The hell? Shocked

i don't think that's why see meant. If they make Buu Saga, it will air in Japan. bookmark this if you want.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:33 am Reply with quote
Now, that's what they plainly stated. Kai was canceled because toy sales had fallen while it was on the air; this is clearly the work of overseas interest, not Toei(unless they came up with the idea to pitch to their foreign distributors, but the essential point remains).
VegettoEX

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:39 am Reply with quote
Just to be clear, no reason was explicitly given by any rights-holders as to why Kai was "canceled". *WE* (meaning fans, but kinda specifically us at Kanzenshuu) did a bunch of financial research and concluded that because merchandise sales dropped so significantly after 2007 - and that Kai being on TV didn't seem to help it in any way whatsoever in terms of recovering from that downfall - meant there was little financial incentive for them to keep it on TV (when Toei themselves in quarterly reports very specifically said that they wanted to start more-quickly adapting to trends and switch things up if they needed to).

Combine that with Kai doing far better internationally (and that's not just North America - it's done very well across Europe and Latin America, as expected) than it did in its homeland, and you have a somewhat clear picture to frame the story within.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:55 am Reply with quote
I never got why people hated the Buu Arc. The reason I liked it was because it had a lot of good character development for Vegeta and Hercule.

On another note, maybe now, Nicktoons will fill the gap between the Cell Saga and going straight to GT.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:
Divineking wrote:
Heck I'm half expecting the new movie to look like it's from the 80's. You never know with Toei...

Do you realize that an 80s style (100% hand drawn and colored characters, no CGI special effects, no 3D models of buildings or cars) would cost Toei more money than doing it 21st century style?

I meant it looking like an old show rather than newer, shinier animation. You know, what Kai was lacking the entierty of it's run.

Dragonball Kai IS an old show (footage from the 90s mostly), it is akin to a director's cut of a movie, unlike for example, the Sailor Moon TV series starting next year which will be a complete reboot with totally new animation.
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
I never got why people hated the Buu Arc. The reason I liked it was because it had a lot of good character development for Vegeta and Hercule.

I hated Buu but you're right about Vegeta since I also liked his character development and thought that was the only good thing about that entire arc.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:16 pm Reply with quote
yay, they will finally finish the last season~
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:23 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Wait... so they're making the Buu Saga... but it won't air in Japan?
The hell? Shocked

Doesn't surprise me. This is just like doing a black & white TV cartoon in color! It's all about having the foresight to do these things in advance so if that time ever comes, there you have it.

opn wrote:
Worst possible thing to wake up too. Goody Rolling Eyes .

I was actually expecting this to come a LOT sooner. Wake up people!
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:49 pm Reply with quote
...Well...that...was unexpected.

On the one hand, I'm thrilled because this completes 'Kai' and means a finished 'more accurate' re-dub for the Z material (though by the Buu arc, it wasn't really so bad anyway), but on the other hand, I was kind of liking that all I had to do now was wait for Season Four to come out and I'd be done with the show.

I'm never going to be done buying Dragon Ball, am I...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one bored with Dragonball? I tried to watch Kai when it started in Japan...5 episodes in I found myself well and truly bored.

Also, the amount of rereleases it's had is ridiculous. Orange bricks, Dragon boxes, FUNi's HD remaster, DBZ Kai...what's next? >>
thelastgogeta

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Brilliant news for the likes of Gen Fukunaga and Manga Entertainment UK, the latter of which always seem to make the wrong choice of which series to release and when leading to a dubless Blue Exorcist here even now and us getting the DBZ Orange Box Season 4 this week.

I'm not fond of Kai due to the new music and the cuts not being absolutely spot on (if you are going to remove material - don't leave traces which make no sense without it). I'm happy to see them finish what they start however, FUNimation deserve to make one decent dub for the series even with the few little niggles in their Z Kai so far.
A5J4DX

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:58 pm Reply with quote
gah!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5