• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: No Anime Nominated for Oscars

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slickwataris

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Wow, big surprise.

Shark Tale was a waste of my money and a cheap gheto version of Finding Nemo (although this movie sucked too).

Shrek 2 was nowhere as good as the first one which in itself was pretty bad. It's all about Pinoccio's thong. That's all I heard for weeks at school when this movie was released.

The Incredibles definitely deserves to win this because this is the only animated film I've seen this year that was actually good. Not to mention the fact that I liked it a lot.

And I would've predicted The Polar Express for the third nomination but I guess not. I haven't seen it but it looks good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gamelore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Hey DreamWorks, are you happy now?

Now that your precious home-grown pieces of garbage are nominated, go and release an ungimped Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence DVD.

Thank you.
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Bah! I hated Shark Tale and Shrek 2 was nowhere near as good as the first movie was. I hope the Incredibles wins since it's the only good movie that is on that list.
Jadress

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:01 pm Reply with quote
cyrax777 wrote:
I stopped caring about the oscars a while back.

Its just a big hollywood circle jerk for the most part anymore.

Frankly, I tend to agree. I didn't really care for Innocence, so I am not sad about it's lack of nomination, though I WOULD like to see more variety on the ballot. Confused I hate that any major animated American film released, no matter how much of a suckfest it is, is nominated just because it's there (Shark's Tale). I seem to be in the majority, but I loved Shrek 2.. thought it was hilarious, but by no means an award winner. I'll be rooting for The Incredibles either way, as it was an excellent film.

I despise the Academy in the first place though for bastardizing animation by making Animated Features its own category. Because no one freakin' respects animation enough to nominate a feature for Best Picture, or any of the awards live action movies normally recieve. Anger.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:40 pm Reply with quote
But, in the real world, animated films will never win Best Picture, so it's nice to give animators of feature-length films an Oscar within their reach other than maybe "Best Song".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Whedon:
Quote:
As I predicted, GiTS didn't stand a chance. They will not nominate even a film of the caliber of Wings of Honneamise, because there is a preset "disney" mold to fit into.

I wouldn't call Spirited Away a "disney" film, and yet it beat out Treasure Planet. Anyway, it might still have a chance of getting an Annie.

Quote:
Wonderful Days is not anime, but it also wasn't released in this country officially, and wouldn't be eligable even if it stood a ghost of a chance of nomination. To be eligable for an Academy Award it must be released here within a year of its original release. (that's what killed Mononoke from consideration)

Um, Wonderful Days got released on Dec. 31 in the U.S.

Quote:
Belleville was also Disney-type mold. Innocence was Sci-Fi mindfuck movie

Belleville was a Fleischer-wannabe, and just as dark as Innocence, maybe even more, with its awful animal cruelty. And once again, T2 and Matrix could be considered "sci-fi mind-f**k" films too.

Tenchi:
Quote:
Innocence: GitS2 got such a limited release that hardly any important critics noticed it and, as a result, it had zero momentum, and, for a foreign animated film, critical momentum is necessary to get the attention of the Academy members who might not otherwise be aware of it due to lack of mainstream publicity.

True. They should've gotten Ebert to review it.

Quote:
(though I think Steamboy likely won't get a nod because, even if it gets momentum, it's being released too early in the year for the momentum to be sustainable and it will be a distant memory once The Corpse Bride and The Wallace and Gromit Movie are in theatres this fall).

Corpse Bride's success depends on whether Tim Burton can still sell anything after his last two flops. Wallace and Gromit already won as a short, so the Academy may not be willing to reward a longer version of the film.

Quote:
And Pooh's Heffalump Movie, but that's just a film done on the cheap released to make a lot of money from a non-discriminating juvenile audience.

And an excuse to continue avoid paying the family of the creator.

Angel:
Quote:
You've gotta wonder whether suddenly, the decision to begin awarding a Best Animated Feature Oscar really does not look like the best of ideas, seeing as how none of the three films nominated are, well, 'animation' as it has been understood for the entire history of cinema...

I think the real problem is there aren't enough slots for more choices, and they need to get rid of that stupid "15 films for 5 categories" rule. Because it means that Disney and Dreamworks can dominate the category, since they produce the most animated films per year.

Schu:
Quote:
Oh, please. Just because it's anime doesn't make it instantly a superior product. GiTS 2 was HORRIBLE! Yes, the animation was gorgeous, but the plot and characterization were awful. It was overly pretentious and dull, save for the last 15 or so minutes, and this coming from someone who LOVED the first movie and the manga. GiTS 2 was an awful movie that just simply didn't deserve to be nominated.

I think it deserved to be nominated, given Oshii's contributions to the industry, regardless of the quality of his latest(last?)work.

Quote:
What? Triplets was less Disney-like than even Spirited Away... personally, I thought Triplets was all quirk for the sake of quirkiness with little substance, and I didn't care much for the grotesque character designs, but Academy members seemed to like it enough for it to get nominated.

It just got a better reception at Cannes than Innocence.

taco:
Quote:
The AFI doesn't have anything to do with the Oscars. The Oscars are under the control of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

And how is it xenophobia?

Because most of the people who give awards are old and white? I know someone who does work for Geneon who told me that they occasionally asked him, "Do you still watch those oriental cartoons?"

tsi:
Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if Howl's Moving Castle gets a Best Foreign Film nod next year along with a Best Animated Picture nod.

Japan has to submit Howl for Best Foreign Film first.

cactus:
Quote:
Ghost in the Shell didn't stand a chance against The Incredibles, sure. But Shark Tale? How the %@#$ did Shark Tale get nominated over GitS?

It made money.

wolf: Cars is pushed back to 2006. Robots looks even lamer than A Bug's Life.
Toboe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:11 pm Reply with quote
The Incredibles was an excellent film. The fact that it's also nominated for Best Original Screenplay should say something.

It was light years better than Innocence, and the fact that it's a lock (meaning the other films have absolutely no chance of winning this award) means that everyone bitching in this thread about the bloated, pretentious GITS2 not being nominated for any awards should shut up. The best animated film of the year is going to win.

The end.

Edit: the real question is, how did Shark Tale get nominated over The Polar Express or even Spongebob Squarepants: The Movie?
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Toboe wrote:

Edit: the real question is, how did Shark Tale get nominated over The Polar Express or even Spongebob Squarepants: The Movie?

Bribery.
AnimeHeretic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:51 pm Reply with quote
I saw nothing from anime this year that looked like it was worth nominating. The last time something from anime should have won were when the pair of Satoshi Kon films Millenium Actress and Tokyo Godfathers failed to get nominated.

The only thing from Japan this year (in that it was in US theaters in 2004) that might have had the quality to get in was Takeshi Kitano's Zatoichi

[quote=GATSU]I think it deserved to be nominated, given Oshii's contributions to the industry, regardless of the quality of his latest(last?)work.[/quote]

Oshii deserves to be forced to apologize to all the manga artists who's works he arbitrarily ruined because he thought he knew better how to tell the story. Last good film by Oshii "Only You." Wink
mrgazpacho

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:24 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:

Wallace and Gromit are already double Oscar winners for Best Animated Short).

As Cloe almost mentioned in passing, the only reason the original 3 W&G shorts didn't go 3-for-3 is because the first one was up against another film from the same studio Cool
Schunoko

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:44 am Reply with quote
Quote:

I think it deserved to be nominated, given Oshii's contributions to the industry, regardless of the quality of his latest(last?)work.

And that's what something like a lifetime achievement award is for. Not a Best Animated Feature of 2004 award is for. It's like saying Incredibles got nominated because Brad Bird got such little recognition for Iron Giant, IMHO one of the best and most underappreciated animated films of all time.
hkrok76

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:20 am Reply with quote
Schunoko wrote:
And that's what something like a lifetime achievement award is for. Not a Best Animated Feature of 2004 award is for. It's like saying Incredibles got nominated because Brad Bird got such little recognition for Iron Giant, IMHO one of the best and most underappreciated animated films of all time.

happens all the time. a movie gets ignored, the director makes a new film the next year, might not be as good, but gets the nod because hey..."we screwed up last year" a lifetime achievement award to a foreigner? HAH! Shark Tale being the third nominee might have been one of the worst announcements for the oscars, but the entire list is pretty skewed and bad. Boo to the Oscars. I doubt Howl or Steamboy will get nominated, so I'm not going to expect much. Oscars is biased and does not respect Animation all that much, otherwise I feel that the Incredibles should have gotten the best Picture nod, but whatever. It's an opinion. That's what the Oscars are. The opinions of a bunch of suits that would rather reward people who can make them money, and also actors and crew that would rather reward their friends then to actually, without bias, look at the worth of a film and judge it on that.

I liked Innocence. I've seen previous Oshii films, and I knew what to expect, most people that watched it or most people you might expect has a say in the Oscars nominations probably don't. They probably didn't even watch the movie. Seriously, Polar Express or even Sponge Bob not getting the third slot is just rank.

Again, boo to the Oscars.
Gamelore

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:02 am Reply with quote
I've given up on the Oscars since 2002 when Fellowship lost to Beautiful Mind (one of the *worst* movies of 2001) and Halle Barry won vs Nicole Kidman (who they gave it to in 2003 for a lesser performance as their way of saying, "oops, we messed up last year") as Cirque du Soleil acrobats flipped all over the stage.

It's nothing a popularity/sympathy contest now. I'm kind of surprised they still had enough decent judges left to give it to Braveheart in '96. I find the Oscars repulsive.
Sydney2K

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:12 am Reply with quote
I note that no one has mentioned anything about the best animated short, so I will go out on a limb and say that the Australian film, "Birthday Boy" (Sejong Park and Andrew Gregory) will emulate "Harvie Krumpet" last year and show the superiority of Australian animators over all other animators in the world.

Just to make it anime on-topic Sejong Park loves Ghibli films, mentions Miyazaki as an influence and wants to make films on the same thematic atmosphere as Miyazaki.

Widya Santoso
--
Oh, is my bias showing?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
mrgazpacho

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:03 am Reply with quote
Sydney2K wrote:

show the superiority of Australian animators over all other animators in the world\

You're lucky you posted that on Australia Day mate, or we'd have a lynch mob after us! Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5