Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam Seed Destiny HD Remaster Project Announced


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
dtm42



Joined: 05 Feb 2008
Posts: 14082
Location: currently stalking my waifu
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga, no-one here is anyone's comrade.

penguintruth wrote:
Step out of the ring if you're not willing to box.


Just because I'm not willing to argue with you doesn't mean I concede defeat. Simply put, I'm not going to waste my time trying to convince you when you have proven time and time again to be so steadfast in your hilariously incorrect beliefs.

Though I will grant you that Zeta had a memorable climax; Super Saiyan robots FTW.

Fencedude5609 wrote:
OK dtm, for the record, which Gundam series do you actually like?


How lazy are you? You know very well that the list of series that I've seen is but a click away.

But anyway, SEED (and not its sequel), War in the Pocket, and the first season of 00. Maybe Unicorn as well if it pulls itself back together.

Charred Knight wrote:
In terms of overall writing, quality of villains, character development, and action G Gundam is the greatest Gundam series of all times.


Did you see that link I posted before? Did you see how utterly mind-bogglingly stupid that was? Yes?

HitokiriShadow wrote:
spoiler[His personality was whatever the hell it needed to be at any given time. What the show did with him never made much sense and by the end, I couldn't tell you what the hell his motivations were. And they kill him off in the second-to-last episode, at which point there are literally no other named antagonists left. The final boss is some test-tube super-soldier who literally appeared for about 15 seconds and had no lines before that final episode. And the final boss robot is the worst thing ever.]


I heard things about the ending and how it was supposed to be legendarily awful. You've just confirmed it.

HitokiriShadow wrote:
But anyway, the show was already unredeemably terrible in the second act. And Natola Ainus's sorry excuse for a character arc is a sick joke, the capstone on the monument to misogyny known as Gundam AGE.


Yes, that was another thing. Women in AGE existed only to be breeding stock for the heroes. It was sickening.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Ambimunch



Joined: 30 Aug 2012
Posts: 2012
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:41 pm Reply with quote
now if only funimation gets the rights to the show from the dead bandai and re-releases it on BD discs ill be happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fencedude5609



Joined: 09 Nov 2006
Posts: 5088
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:49 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Did you see that link I posted before? Did you see how utterly mind-bogglingly stupid that was? Yes?


Man, you just can't let yourself have fun, can you?

This is like your objection to Horizon. No ability to acknowledge that things that are absurd can still tell compelling stories.

MY FIST BURNS A FIERY RED. IT CALLS OUT FOR ME TO GRASP VICTORY! BAKUNETSU! GOOODDDOOOO FIIIINNGGAAAAAA!!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
dtm42



Joined: 05 Feb 2008
Posts: 14082
Location: currently stalking my waifu
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
No ability to acknowledge that things that are absurd can still tell compelling stories.


You really need to read my list of Anime. I rated FLCL as Masterpiece as it's incredibly well written and I absolutely loved it.

Come back when you're ready to make a coherent argument that isn't just blindly attacking me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Fencedude5609



Joined: 09 Nov 2006
Posts: 5088
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:04 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Come back when you're ready to make a coherent argument that isn't just blindly attacking me.


Just as soon as you address the position I raised re:Horizon in the previous discussion in a way that is intellectually honest and doesn't just boil down to "HOW DARE YOU USE LORD OF THE RINGS AS A COMPARISON YOU TERRIBLE PERSON"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
dtm42



Joined: 05 Feb 2008
Posts: 14082
Location: currently stalking my waifu
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:18 pm Reply with quote
No, I'm not going to humour you by talking about Horizon in the middle of a Gundam thread. Find someone else to be your derailment monkey. And we already did the Horizon argument, remember? Hmm, I wonder what the outcome of that was? So just leave that topic alone.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
sainta



Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Posts: 989
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
This thread, guys... seriously...



Now while X is my favourite and I think 00 is the best, I don't hate Destiny either. I certainly like it more than Zeta and Victory, which I have my own issues with.


This computer of mine glows with an awesome power!! The repeated raging comments tell me to be like them!! Take this, my reply, my comment and all of my love!!

Embarassed

I almost lost it! Well, about SEED Destiny it seems people forgot there are many shows that have multiple main characters like Basilisk to show a neutral point of view regarding a conflict.
Regarding the three most featured this is what I have to say:

Athrun Zala: The first main character in Destiny since Shinn isn't introduced until episode 8. He is still trying to understand things from the previous war like his father's wishes (he isn't repeating, he is still searching for his answer). This forces him to fight again but starts growing lots of doubts when the Archangel is involved. He is the most featured character in Destiny, making him the protagonist from the movies and the manga The Edge.

Shinn Asuka: Represents the issues of the next generation but unlike the typical angry guys, Shinn discusses politics and is disgusted by countries going against their word at the cost of civilians (espcially since Orb takes part in the war). While he has noble intentions after Athrun's "betrayal" he is manipulated by Durandal to work for him representing Durandal's Destiny plan (and how he censors info to make Shinn look like the main hero just like Sunrise). Still, I enjoy tragic heroes as long as their reasons make sense.

Kira Yamato: The returning reclutant warrior. Unlike in SEED, Kira is fully committed to fight especially to support Cagalli. Since the Archangel unofficially joins Orb, Kira is called a hypocrite for trying to reduce Orb's casualties while fighting both ZAFT and Earth Alliance. Still, Kira never loses his mind which I liked a lot as he reminded of Quattro from Zeta who was my favorite character from the entire UC (Char in the movie never happened!). He isn't necessarily the hero as he is often assisted by others.

And this is one of the main reasons I enjoyed Destiny. Three main characters with different motivations and roles. I'll leave it like this before my hand breaks. Laughing


Last edited by sainta on Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fencedude5609



Joined: 09 Nov 2006
Posts: 5088
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:36 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
No, I'm not going to humour you by talking about Horizon in the middle of a Gundam thread. Find someone else to be your derailment monkey. And we already did the Horizon argument, remember? Hmm, I wonder what the outcome of that was? So just leave that topic alone.


Yes, and I disagree with Key, so I don't see why bringing that up is relevant at all.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Kaioshin_Sama



Joined: 05 Feb 2005
Posts: 1215
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:44 pm Reply with quote
WeirDiE_InC wrote:
So this is turning into one of those threads, huh?

Now all we need is KLAC's input...


What you mean it's quickly becoming about which Gundam series is "teh worst" until people have named literally every series in the franchise and just completely shat all over it and each other?

Yeah it's basically why I consider the Gundam fandom largely insufferable at this point even though I'm about as big a fan of Gundam as one can be myself. The thing is though I actually enjoy it and talking about the various stories and why I appreciate them as opposed to just sitting around having these utterly banal discussions comparing them against each other and insulting each others taste in anime.

It's really no wonder why Gundam is basically dead in North America now when you look at what the people over here appear to focus on and how they treat each other.

As for the announcement itself, I'm of two minds. One is that I really just didn't get much out of Gundam Seed Destiny at all and found it to have the most legitimate production issues of any Gundam series produced to date. Not issues of butthurt and lacking realism, but legitimate production issues like stock footage, shoddy re-characterization of cast members from the original that did them no favors and some pretty week battle sequences on average that would bring down just about any action oriented show. The other side though sees this as an opportunity for the Sunrise of today that I see as one of those companies that puts a lot of effort into the production side of shows getting a chance to go back and fix one of their biggest production flops of the past decade and maybe make the story flow a little better. It wouldn't take a complete rewrite, just better care and pacing during key portions of the story as well as some touch ups during the battle sequences.


Last edited by Kaioshin_Sama on Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
dtm42



Joined: 05 Feb 2008
Posts: 14082
Location: currently stalking my waifu
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:47 pm Reply with quote
sainta wrote:
thrun Zala: The first main character in Destiny since Shinn isn't introduced until episode 8. He is still trying to understand things from the previous war like his father's wishes (he isn't repeating, he is still searching for his answer).


Shinn was introduced in the first scene of episode one, and got plenty of screentime in the early episodes.

Athrun did find his answer in the first war; fighting to protect civilians from being conquered and destroyed.

Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
It's really no wonder why Gundam is basically dead in North America now when you look at what the people over here appear to focus on and how they treat each other.


The hell? Gundam is dead here because of Bandai, not because of bickering fans.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
CrownKlown



Joined: 05 May 2011
Posts: 1744
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:01 pm Reply with quote
TopGunman wrote:
I am looking forward to this! I love SEED Destiny.

All I hear from Gundam SEED Destiny haters are

- How dare they set the new character up as the bad guy?
- How dare they not focus on the old characters all over again even if there's nothing much to add to them?
- How dare they make the (supposed) main character angry?
- How dare they not repeat the cliches of most mecha series?
- How dare the heroes fight against each other?!
- How dare they give Shinn his own viewpoints (initially)?

The list goes on, just like with Kicker Jones in Transformers Energon. It's more or less: I hate angry characters! I hate angry characters! I want them to be goody good guys!!

*waves arms in girly fashion and squeaks in high pitch p*ssy voice*

Excuse Gundam SEED Destiny for being a little bit unorthodox and not following unwritten rules of how storytelling is done. It's one thing to not like the final product and how it was done, but it's another to dictate how everything 'has to be' structured. If you don't like it, TS, there's butt-loads of other Gundam series, quit being all nerdy about it!

Destiny is said to be bad because it doesn't have a main character but everyone seems to love Baccano! and Durarara! even though they each don't have primary main characters either and tell their stories more or less like SEED Destiny did. Talk about double standards

Besides, Cosmic Era as well as Advanced Generation are timelines that are style over substance series. Not EVERY Gundam show HAS to be a headache of politics and ideologies. Even though I love these as much as the next person, but it shouldn't be the ONLY thing Gundam does.

------------------------------------------

BTW: I've watched EVERY Gundam anime series (except G Gundam and SD Gundam) and read EVERY manga and novel. And I can honestly say in my opinon that WITP and 00's movie are worst additions to the Gundam franchise.

And while the 00 series isn't bad, it certainly isn't anywhere near as good as (most) Universal Century series, After Colony, After War, Correct Century, Cosmic Era or even Advanced Generation.


Have you seen Destiny?

Yes they replaced Kira, fairly likeable with Shin, a b*t*h.
- He somehow blames Kira for all his and the worlds problems, and even makes emo characters embrassed.
- He never performs any feats the entire show, usually screwing up or putting on a sorry battle performance, yet people act like he is the greatest pilot of all time (in universe, not by the fans mind you)
- He never really grows up, and finally the creators of the series realized no one liked him so they switched back to the main characters who people liked in the first place
- Shin is far from the only poor character, every character is this series is tears of blood inducing
- You went from decent female leads like Cagalli and Lacus, to Meer and Stella , and I forgot the others they were so memorable
- the blond kid, aka the athrun to shin's kira, wow this was a terrible character
- the villains are so bad, the dude with purple lipstick and Duradel; you cant even compare them to the psychopathic Azarel, the charming but flawed La Reu Crest, and the militaristic chairman Zala
- did we mention the old characters, they took a level in weak sauce, Athrun and Cagalli were the most prominent characters shown till the end, and they seriously were shells of their Seed selves

The show is bad, and people have valid gripes and if you wont except those gripes there is nothing anyone can say because you wont listen to reason. Oh and the destiny plan is one of the worst ideas ever, right up there with Madara's moon plan.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kaioshin_Sama



Joined: 05 Feb 2005
Posts: 1215
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:04 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
sainta wrote:
thrun Zala: The first main character in Destiny since Shinn isn't introduced until episode 8. He is still trying to understand things from the previous war like his father's wishes (he isn't repeating, he is still searching for his answer).


Shinn was introduced in the first scene of episode one, and got plenty of screentime in the early episodes.

Athrun did find his answer in the first war; fighting to protect civilians from being conquered and destroyed.

Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
It's really no wonder why Gundam is basically dead in North America now when you look at what the people over here appear to focus on and how they treat each other.


The hell? Gundam is dead here because of Bandai, not because of bickering fans.


Gundam is dead here in reality because Bandai mismanaged it's assets and had to pull out yes, but really it's been dead in spirit for much longer because of people who act like you have in this thread. People who appear to have no real appreciation for the franchise that I can see yet insist on acting like bullies in online discussions and have literally the stupidest most self-important unbudging, immature and non-productive arguments about why x series sucks more than z series (never why y series is good and/or poor in it's own right or anything productive like that) that drive others who might be curious about it away in disgust and confusion. It's atrocious and unbecoming of anything that I would describe as a healthy fandom, yet it's so common nowadays that it's what I expect to see any time there's a discussion about Gundam on a forum.

To be quite honest If I hadn't been so fortunate as to get into Gundam long before people like you on the internet ever ruined the fun of it for everyone that just wanted to have a good time and enjoy the good with the not so good and make up their own damn minds without being fed this absolutest BS I'd have certainly said to hell with that mess much like many people I know and never have gotten in to it. I am very fortunate in that regard indeed.


Last edited by Kaioshin_Sama on Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
sainta



Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Posts: 989
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:05 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
sainta wrote:
thrun Zala: The first main character in Destiny since Shinn isn't introduced until episode 8. He is still trying to understand things from the previous war like his father's wishes (he isn't repeating, he is still searching for his answer).


Shinn was introduced in the first scene of episode one, and got plenty of screentime in the early episodes.

Athrun did find his answer in the first war; fighting to protect civilians from being conquered and destroyed.

Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
It's really no wonder why Gundam is basically dead in North America now when you look at what the people over here appear to focus on and how they treat each other.


The hell? Gundam is dead here because of Bandai, not because of bickering fans.


Didn't Athrun tell Kira in the first episodes of Destiny that he still did not find his answer (I think it's when he visits the orphanage)? If I remember in SEED it was more personal as he could not stand his father's wish involving genocide on the Naturals and Kira didn't get his answer until the last seconds of his fight against Rau. But yeah, the first time I watched Destiny I felt it was more about Athrun's role than Shinn who got more development around the time Athrun goes to ZAFT.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
battousai47



Joined: 03 Oct 2008
Posts: 26
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:21 pm Reply with quote
In my opinion, SEED was great and Destiny was pretty damn similar. I loved how Kira spent the whole of SEED crying like a baby and then became a complete bad-ass in Destiny!

I just hope that these "remasters" are re-scans instead of upscales, and that their Blu-Rays aren't cropped for widescreen as well. The only decently cropped anime I've seen is DBK...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dtm42



Joined: 05 Feb 2008
Posts: 14082
Location: currently stalking my waifu
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:26 pm Reply with quote
@Kaioshin_Sama:
"Dead in spirit"? What sort of garbage are you peddling today? There were plenty of people willing to fork out for Turn A; I know I was.


Last edited by dtm42 on Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group