• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Summer Wars

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pandadice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Cencoroll was better

lol, basically the movie is: all we have to do is work together! and when that fails? work together harder!

lives decided over the card game.. lol

I dunno why you're hyping this up so much Justin. The whole movie is super formulaic and predictable. and the only aspects that aren't predictable, are only so because of how ridiculous they are. I mean, i seriously didn't see them bringing in a boat to the house, but at the same time, I couldn't take that seriously. it was around that point I started questioning what exactly it was I was watching :\. It was pretty obvious this guy worked with Digimon.......

Though the artwork is definitely fantastic. The backgrounds, cities and characters all look amazing. However I wouldn't say that about OZ. just the real life stuff. But I don't think the animation alone is enough to boast this up over everything else.

But I mean, I guess I shouldn't really have expected much from this, considering how much I didn't care for Girl who Leapt Through Time. Wasn't impressed with that one, wasn't impressed with this one. Shinkai is still far closer to Miyazaki imo.

But it is interesting.. I'll have to reflect on it more. Because atm, I dunno if I'd consider Summer Wars better than First Squad or not. Though I definitely consider Cencoroll better than both of them.
Xagor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:

So, you saw a subtitled version of the movie, hosted by Hosoda himself? Awesome, but it also implies that English subtitles already exist, before it comes to N-America. Maybe the Japanese DVD will have an English subtitle track, like Ghibli's DVDs do? I want to buy that Very Happy

An English subtitle track has existed for a while now (at least since it was in cinemas in Japan), albeit not one for general release. I'd be curious as to whether the subs for versions shown at screenings like this are the same as ones on preview copies though.

Mohawk52, I'm not 100% sure something has to be licensed in a region for it to get one off showings or not. Since The Sky Crawlers has been shown a few times and I can't remember hearing news about a UK release being upcoming (Although that's more likely just me not paying attention.)
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
So, you saw a subtitled version of the movie, hosted by Hosoda himself? Awesome, but it also implies that English subtitles already exist, before it comes to N-America.

Every Japanese feature film has English subtitles somewhere. They're used for airlines, and for markets like Hong Kong and Singapore -- those prints have both English and Chinese subtitles. I saw one of those prints. It's possible that they might find their way to the Japanese home video release, but it's unlikely.

My screening was not hosted by Hosoda, but I shared the stage with him twice, so I just asked him when we were chilling out after the second one.

Mohawk52, a film festival screening does not mean licensed. It means pretty much nothing, license-wise, actually.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:11 pm Reply with quote
I just watched the movie. A super-low-quality (640×352) version though, with English soft-subs overlapping Korean hard-subs. It was indeed very good, although I couldn't properly appreciate the great art and animation like that of course.

Justin Sevakis wrote:
Every Japanese feature film has English subtitles somewhere. They're used for airlines, and for markets like Hong Kong and Singapore -- those prints have both English and Chinese subtitles. I saw one of those prints. It's possible that they might find their way to the Japanese home video release, but it's unlikely.

Bummer Sad I liked getting to buy the sub-only DVD for Ponyo before it was released outside Japan. It would be nice if the same happened for Summer Wars. It sucks having to wait for months.

Cain Highwind wrote:
I thought Warner Brothers had licensed it because there was all that talk about WB mimicking Disney and their Ghibli releases.

The version I just watched had a WB logo screen at the beginning and so does the trailer on the official site, so you're probably right.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Pay no attention to the WB logo before ANY Japanese film. WB just has a Japanese distribution division, it has nothing to do with overseas distribution plans at all.

WB USA is not currently in the indie/foreign distribution business, after closing Warner Independents, Picturehouse and New Line/Fineline Features earlier this year. I don't know who has Summer Wars, but I will eat a bug if it's Warner USA.

Honestly, the random speculation on this forum (not just here, but in most of the giant threads from the past few weeks) is completely out of control.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Pandadice wrote:
But I mean, I guess I shouldn't really have expected much from this, considering how much I didn't care for Girl who Leapt Through Time. Wasn't impressed with that one, wasn't impressed with this one. Shinkai is still far closer to Miyazaki imo.

Shinkai... the guys whose Place Promised a.k.a. Beyond the Clouds had plot holes you could drive a truck through and shunted all its good characters to the side in the second half and had basically no good points other than being pretty yet everyone thinks it's brilliant? Thanks but no thanks, I'll take TokiKake any day.

Now, I get worried any time anyone starts saying "the best since..." about anything, because I think you're setting yourself up for hype backlash. But even if this movie is only half as good as The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, it will be worth seeing.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:31 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:

Honestly, the random speculation on this forum (not just here, but in most of the giant threads from the past few weeks) is completely out of control.

Hey, just be happy you're not being ripped apart for having an opinion of a movie they can't illegally download yet!
blackmage

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:38 pm Reply with quote
is this even going to get a NA release?on bluray?
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:54 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
WB USA is not currently in the indie/foreign distribution business, after closing Warner Independents, Picturehouse and New Line/Fineline Features earlier this year. I don't know who has Summer Wars, but I will eat a bug if it's Warner USA.

Hehe Smile I only confirmed that I saw that logo really, but I get your point. I don't know all that much about how licensing works, and who is who in that part of the industry, so it's nice to hear from someone like you who does know.

Back to the movie at hand, at first I felt a little ambiguous about your comparing Summer Wars to a 'summer blockbuster movie'. After watching it though, I understand it somewhat. Pandadice above was rather harsh in his dismissal of this movie, but the plot indeed isn't super deep. It's the kind of story everyone can watch and enjoy. It is quite good at what it does, but it won't make more than second place or so in specific genres.

Like you said, it is refreshing to see a story that doesn't condemn online life as inferior. Even a recent anime like Dennou Coil still had some of that. I think you're right that it's a slow, generational shift in attitude that's happening among anime makers too.

How are Summer Wars's art/animation comparable to Hosoda's earlier work on Digimon? I recognized the bits of Superflat Monogram in the OZ introduction, and the character designs (the real life ones that is) are similar to TokiKake's. They remind me vaguely of Ghibli, but I can't really put my finger on how exactly.

Zac wrote:
Hey, just be happy you're not being ripped apart for having an opinion of a movie they can't illegally download yet!

Too late, I already illegally downloaded it.. Razz Don't worry though, I'm not the type to rip people apart, and I agree with Justin anyway in this case.
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:59 pm Reply with quote
I felt passion when I read this review. It shows that there is still some anime fandom in ANN.

With all the bullcrap that gets released from Japan, it feels good to know that there is still stuff that makes anime anime. Lately I've been feeling like Japan just wants to milk it's otaku crowd with crap like Setokai, but this makes it all worth it. Hopefully I'll see this soon on DVD like Sword of the Stranger. C'mon, if someone licensed He is My Master, someone's gotta license this.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:41 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

Shinkai... the guys whose Place Promised a.k.a. Beyond the Clouds had plot holes you could drive a truck through and shunted all its good characters to the side in the second half and had basically no good points other than being pretty yet everyone thinks it's brilliant? Thanks but no thanks, I'll take TokiKake any day.

And the guy who's 5cm per second de-railed spectacularly in the last 10 minutes because there apparently wasn't enough runtime to tell the story despite it only being an hour long.

Was I the only person who didn't like Girl Who Leapt Through Time, though?
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:15 am Reply with quote
Hosoda, in my opinion, has never put out a bad piece of work and the review that Summer Wars has received proves as much. I mean he is able to take something like Digimon, which by all rights should be as GI Joe as-you-like, and basically make the foundation for a lot of people to do a lot of cool things for children's anime (Tamers in particular via Chiaki J. Konaka) with not just the first two digimon movies but within the series itself as he did the episode with Hikari's first appearance.

That and One Piece movie 6 awesome.
Primus

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:19 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Pay no attention to the WB logo before ANY Japanese film. WB just has a Japanese distribution division, it has nothing to do with overseas distribution plans at all.

Yeah, I do find it kind of suspect that Warner USA would have anything to do with Summer Wars in the US. Warner apparently owns the worldwide license to Gonzo's Brave Story, yet one of the few markets it hasn't been released in has been North America.

I'd say Bandai Entertainment probably has it. I say that because of The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, as well as Sword Of The Stranger. Two of the more enjoyable animated films Japan has produced in recent years. Incidentally both those got Ocean dubs, which they knocked out of the park. So I do hope they get a swing at this too.
Pandadice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:

Was I the only person who didn't like Girl Who Leapt Through Time, though?

well, I wouldn't say I "didn't like it", but I would say there are googols of better movies out there.
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:32 pm Reply with quote
I saw the sub of Summer Wars when I flew to Tokyo on JAL a few weeks back.

I loved it and recommend Summer Wars highly.

By the way. The computer is not a Cray, it was custom made by one of the family members for a customer of his. Also the boat is not military but a squid fiching boat, they use very bright lights to attract the catch and have powerful generators.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6