• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Adds Skull Man, Maria Holic Anime in February

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mads0

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:57 am Reply with quote
Just read vol.1 of the Maria Holic manga. Loved it, can´t wait till the anime release!
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:39 am Reply with quote
Skull Man!

YES! I thought that would never get licensed! It had a really interesting set up and execution. Especially how they reveal the Skull Man character.

Insta-buy.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:27 am Reply with quote
ninjapet wrote:
Guys these topics always turn to dub vs sub, stop your fighting and be glad it's being released.

Honestly, its going to happen no matter what you say. Just hope the arguemen doesn't get out of hand.

As for me, I watched one episode and didn't really like it at all. I'll admit, there was potential, but I just couldn't get into the series.

But at least these titles are being released, there are plently of titles that haven't been, so I'd consider this great for people who enjoy this show.
LeanGreen

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:19 am Reply with quote
Hmm, I was thinking of picking up the first volume of the Maria Holic manga to see what it's like, since it's by the same person who made Hatenko Yugi. Maybe I'll check it out since the anime is coming overseas. Good idea on Sentai's part to license a good amount of anime with their manga counterparts already releasing in the US.

As for Skull Man, the premise sounds interesting and something that I would like, but considering the rather lackluster ratings it got I'll have to preview it before I decide if I will buy it.

I've just bought Special A collection 1, so thanks Sentai. Maybe you can license something like Kaiba next.
pparker

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:37 am Reply with quote
Literally never heard of Skull Man, and doesn't sound that appealing.

As to Maria+Holic, it's Shaft and it's Akiyuki Shinbo, so it's a buy. No, it's not up to Sayonara Zetsubou-Sensei standards, but still good. Also, the apparent misogyny and such tones down later in the series. The setup is the key to it being comedic. Without that context, yes, it might just be offensive. Fundamentally, it's a wacky comedy that happens to ignore political correctness. My favorite kind Wink.
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Awesome news!
Maria Holic is one show I never thought I'd see getting a release on R1.
Sentai are really showing that the R1 market is alive and kicking beyond shonen and fanservice shows and are doing themselves a big credit in my book.
Hopefully this gives a chance to similiar shows like Zetsubou Sensei, Bakemonogatari and Ef for possible R1 license. Now that really would put a huge smile on my face.

I feel for dub fans, but at the same time, I didn't see any other companies after these shows who would have dubbed them, so lets all just be grateful we're seeing these shows over here at all.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:15 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
Wow, Skull Man got licensed. That surprises me. Since I assume this will be in a box set, reviewers will have the whole thing right away, and will be able to tell that it feels like a first season, not a complete series. Since no sequel is in the works, my guess is this will not be marked in the series' favor.

Why? spoiler[The sequel would be Cyborg 009. Go talk to Sony about finishing that release.]

Ooh! I was not aware of that. I'll look into it. Not that, of course, I have any inroads with Sony...

Quote:
Hope the Skull Man live-action movie comes over too.

If it any way resembles the "prelude" to the anime, I hope it doesn't. That had just godawful CG effects. For some reason Japanese live-action tends to be so much lower than its Western counterparts.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:59 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
YAYYYY MARIA HOLIC Very Happy

Unfortunately since this sentai we're talking about here,it's bad new for dubbers like myself cause just like media blasters and section 23,these series are getting the sub only treatment like strawberry panic and simoun and gakugen heaven. Hopefully i'm wrong and sentai includes a dub for them but with it's and the rep with MB and section 23,i'm not holding my breath.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bahamut623

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:24 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
Wow, Skull Man got licensed. That surprises me. Since I assume this will be in a box set, reviewers will have the whole thing right away, and will be able to tell that it feels like a first season, not a complete series. Since no sequel is in the works, my guess is this will not be marked in the series' favor.

Why? spoiler[The sequel would be Cyborg 009. Go talk to Sony about finishing that release.]

Ooh! I was not aware of that. I'll look into it. Not that, of course, I have any inroads with Sony...

Yea, the ending was an attempt to spoiler[connect The Skull Man to Cyborg 009, which were previously unrelated. What the final scene showed us was that the Skull Man eventually became Cyborg 009's main villain. And we're also supposed to assume that the baby we see at the end is 009. Most US viewers were probably disappointed by the ending because the reference went over their head, but to the Japanese viewers, it was probably a very cool surprise. I'm still hoping Bones will do a Cyborg 009 remake to follow up the Skull Man.]
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:41 pm Reply with quote
joystick1101 wrote:
judging from this pattern, I'm guessing we're not getting anything dubbed from these people. Guess if VA's like jessica boone, sasha paysinger, hilary haag, etc. still wanna be VA's they better go to Funi.

Uh. Section23/ADV's ADR studio is STILL alive, dude. It's called Seraphrim and is currently working on a dub for Halo Legends. You talk as if ADV can't dub anymore and as if Funimation is the only R1 label dubbing. MB is also dubbing Queen's Blade Season 1 just to let you know.

As for Jessica Boone, she doesn't voice act anymore currently. She moved to North Carolina last summer with her high school sweetheart/husband who's in the Navy. Carrie Savage will probably be doing voice work simluar to roles that Boone does.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:45 pm Reply with quote
strawberry-kun wrote:

Actually, at Oni-con 2009, Matt Greenfield stated that he was working on dubs for two shows that haven't been revealed yet. Both of the titles are for Sentai, so this probably doesn't include the Halo anime that they worked on.

Sentai's main investor is TBS, so which ever titles Section23/ADV has not yet annouced may be mainstream enough to warrent a dub.

Damn, I missed this year's Oni-Con. crap. They packed thier bags and left the GRB for West Houston, oh well I'll be able to attend it next year.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:49 pm Reply with quote
jmfsilenthill wrote:
Why do people even bother to argue against Mario1234567 ??? He's obviously never going to change his mind. Just leave the whiny bugger alone. Laughing

Yeah, he's a childish troll, pay him no mind. The strict folks at Mania wouldn't tolerate it for one minute. i've learned to ignore anti-sub people like him who fail to understand how the market works.
championferret

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:29 am Reply with quote
...Maria+Holic is offensive to yuri fans? I'm sorry...bwuh?

Just...wow. That link posted a while back was such a load of crock...it's a parody comedy anime! If you're taking it the least bit seriously, you already lose.
The biggest thing is...it's not a yuri series, it doesn't -pretend- to be a yuri series, so I dont get why so many yuri fans get up in arms over this 'fake yuri series' when it never tried to be one, it tried to be a parody-comedy (mostly a parody of catholic schoolgirl anime). Yes, yuri parody is in there, but that doesn't make it a 'yuri' show.

Does it make fun of yuri/lesbians? I don't really think so. Kanako's love for girls is played up for laughs because she's a lecherous pervert, not because she's 'gay'. Yes, she's treated like crap, but not by everyone, and it's just to show that Mariya's a sadistic prick. Anyone who thinks this is 'offensive' probably shouldnt be watching these kind of parodies in the first place. I personally think Mariya's a great character...king of the traps in my book. (They even released an anatomically correct figure of him... the upskirt shot even showed a bulge in his boxers. Laughing)
I never saw Kanako's treatment as misogynist or sexist. It'd be like calling animal cruelty over Wil.E Coyote and RoadRunner.
If you don't like it, then you just don't. It's not for everyone. I just take issues with people accusing it of things that it isn't.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:40 am Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:
Quote:
And who says that the subs will be bad? People bitch about sub problems ALL THE TIME, but I honestly never notice them. Guess I'm too busy enjoying the show instead of nitpicking

How in the hell can you enjoy the show when what your watching you haf to read and as your reading (not watching) the grammar and spell is all Jacked up?? How in the hell is it possible for you to enjoy anything?

I swear some people are blind by deception..
You seem to enjoy fansubs just fine despite reading the shows. How do you enjoy those, given that their subs are designed to be unreadable "inobtrusive" and contain, on average, more technical errors than R1 DVD subs? Some people may be blind by deception, but you're just delusional. Either that or you're just trolling, in which case I've fallen for it hook, line, and sinker.

And given the amount of onscreen text in Maria Holic, ADV' is one of the few companies I can trust to sub it correctly, without massive glaring omissions.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:37 am Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
jmfsilenthill wrote:
Why do people even bother to argue against Mario1234567 ??? He's obviously never going to change his mind. Just leave the whiny bugger alone. Laughing

Yeah, he's a childish troll, pay him no mind. The strict folks at Mania wouldn't tolerate it for one minute. i've learned to ignore anti-sub people like him who fail to understand how the market works.

Hang on now. Mario is a troll because he's stubborn, completely refuses to listen to what anyone else has to say and perpetually repeats himself. You seem to be casting some rather general insults towards anyone who disagrees with sub only releases though. That's pretty lame. Make an intelligent argument as to why these views are wrong or unreasonable if you want but don't just call everyone who disagrees with you a troll.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7