• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime influenced by the '95 aum cult attacks?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spikespiegel98

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:36 am Reply with quote
i'm referring to the 1995 tokyo subway sarin gas attacks by the aum supreme truth cult. any animes or video games inspired and have subject material relating to crazy ass terrorist cults? anyone know how the attacks have influenced japanese culture?
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:53 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure if it's directly referring to the 95 incident but 20th Century Boys has allot to do with "crazy ass terrorist cults". And then there's the episode of Cowboy Bebop called "Brain Scratch" which is about a crazy cult. That's just off the top of my head, but I'm sure you can find allot more. But once again, I'm not sure if these are influenced by the 95 terror attack that your referring to.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
spikespiegel98

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:04 am Reply with quote
yeah i guess i'm more interested in how cults are shown in anime/manga/games. i'd figure cults would've gotten lots of bad press overall, and that this would leak into the anime/games.
nightmaregenie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:18 am Reply with quote
Brain Scratch definitely makes a reference to the Aum cult. I didn't know this when I watched the episode but afterwards I saw a documentary about the subway incident...footages of the cult showed members wearing the exact same purple hospital-gown-like clothes seen in Bebop.

Can't think of any others that was specifically influenced by Aum, but plenty of other anime feature terrorists in a realistic manner (Patlabor, GitS SAC, Planetes etc). Cultists, not so much.
Andrez

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:48 am Reply with quote
I think Japanese cinema (anime/kaiju especially) have had a bit of a fatalistic bent since WW2 - witness how many times Tokyo is destroyed and/or seriously damaged in Akira, the Godzilla movies, and Nihon Chinbotsu (Japan Sinks).

It could be that Aum Shinrikyo's activities haven't added so much to the equation, but possibly enhanced the fatalistic flavour instead.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:27 am Reply with quote
Andrez wrote:
I think Japanese cinema (anime/kaiju especially) have had a bit of a fatalistic bent since WW2 - witness how many times Tokyo is destroyed and/or seriously damaged in Akira, the Godzilla movies, and Nihon Chinbotsu (Japan Sinks).

I have to disagree with this -- the perennial destruction of Tokyo is no more a sign of Japanese fatalism than the perennial alien invasion of middle America is. Apart from the obvious metaphorical import (Godzilla symbolizing the spectre of nuclear war; alien invasion as a stand-in for cold war xenophobia), what we are seeing is simply an application of the principle of proximity: a storyteller will prefer to set an outlandish story in a familiar setting (or, alternately, tell a familiar story in an outlandish setting), in order to give the audience a familiar element to hang on to. A Japanese audience would find a tale of Godzilla rampaging through New York somewhat less relevant than the same story set in Tokyo. Notice, for instance, that the American remake of Godzilla did, in fact, set the story in NYC instead. Don't make me bring up Independence Day... seriously, don't.

On the topic of manga/anime influenced by Aum Shinrikyo, I think Yamamoto Naoki's excellent manga Believers from 1999 deserves to be mentioned. Although the main thrust of the story is about sexual tensions in a group, the setting is the core constituency of an Aum-like cult. Yamamoto has managed to create a very believable atmosphere of monomania and uncritical devotion.

I would also like to second 20th Century Boys, a simply brilliant manga dealing with a long-running twisted plot that involves a cult. There is little question that the mangaka, Urasawa Naoki, is probably his generation's most gifted storyteller in this medium.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Andrez

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:33 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Andrez wrote:

I have to disagree with this -- the perennial destruction of Tokyo is no more a sign of Japanese fatalism than the perennial alien invasion of middle America is. Apart from the obvious metaphorical import (Godzilla symbolizing the spectre of nuclear war; alien invasion as a stand-in for cold war xenophobia), what we are seeing is simply an application of the principle of proximity: a storyteller will prefer to set an outlandish story in a familiar setting (or, alternately, tell a familiar story in an outlandish setting), in order to give the audience a familiar element to hang on to. A Japanese audience would find a tale of Godzilla rampaging through New York somewhat less relevant than the same story set in Tokyo. Notice, for instance, that the American remake of Godzilla did, in fact, set the story in NYC instead.

Hey Abunai - cheers for the feedback, and one very interesting angle for sure; something that's worth thinking more about. Yet still I'd have to beg to disagree on this point.

Definitely the xenophobia plays an important issue in America's case (and, to a lesser degree, to Australia's from my own experience), but over all in Japan I'd suggest that the metaphorical import of the spectre of nuclear war, compounded on top of the Japanese societal experience of complete urban destruction (Tokyo, along with Nagasaki and Hiroshima, for example) in WW2, together make the penchant for local armageddon perhaps a wee bit more familiar.

It's actually something I've talked about quite often with some of the Japanese people I've met over here as well as longer term friends. Some of these people, especially younger Japanese, would agree in some respect or another with your sentiments; a majority of the older ones tend to have felt that the after-effects of the WW2 experience have shaped a lot of the cinema, and understandably so.

And Akira and the '50s to '80s Godzilla movies were in general directed by people who grew up during the war or in the decade following it - and would relate in some direct way or another to the experiences of the Second World War. This contrasts Ryuhei Kitamura, who directed Godzilla: Final Wars, is much younger (born 24 years after the war), and told me he doesn't relate.

Still, who can really take seriously a man in a rubber suit knocking over toy buildings and faux Tokyo Towers?

Maybe you're more on the mark than me after all... Wink

Oh yeah, and I totally agree about the 20th Century Boys manga. Superb.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:03 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Although the main thrust of the story is about sexual tensions in a group, the setting is the core constituency of an Aum-like cult.

There is one manga that is entirely focused on a religious cult.

Speaking of Godzilla and similar city-destroying movies... what I don't understand is Japanese' firm belief on Nostradamus and similar apocalyptic theories. Those young believers are not Hiroshima/Nagasaki survivors or even Christian, yet they were so afraid of the Apocalypse brought by the "Lord of Terror." I just don't get it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
spikespiegel98

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:20 pm Reply with quote
yeah i know what you mean. i'm reading a book on the aum cult and i'm just so surprised that they were able to get so many recruits w/ their bs beliefs. although the book did mention the cult targeted alotta people who were "outsiders" such as otakus and scientists who tended to be loners
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:11 pm Reply with quote
spikespiegel98 wrote:
yeah i know what you mean. i'm reading a book on the aum cult and i'm just so surprised that they were able to get so many recruits w/ their bs beliefs. although the book did mention the cult targeted alotta people who were "outsiders" such as otakus and scientists who tended to be loners

Don't underestimate the power of belief in the unbelievable. Viewed from the outside, any faith is complete lunacy -- yours and mine included.

- abunai
RHachicho

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Woah .. Abunai way to write a short sentence with a lot of meaning. Damn now I want to get into a huge philosophical debate with you. Still it's not too surprising in any society. Where there is any kind of underclass or opressed people that feel their lives are close to meaningless if they are offered something that might give them that meaning they will readily latch on to it. Out of loneliness, revenge or even plain old mortal dread. Until we grow up as a species and start giving these abandoned people some sort of lifeline then things like cult's will always have a fertile recruiting ground. Cos when your drowning you'l grab on to just about anything to stop even if it's sinking right along with you.
Andrez

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:57 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
spikespiegel98 wrote:

Don't underestimate the power of belief in the unbelievable. Viewed from the outside, any faith is complete lunacy -- yours and mine included.

Spot on. I think you've hit the whole "belief" thing on the head, regardless of ideology.
spikespiegel98

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:03 pm Reply with quote
just rewatched bebop's 23rd episode brain scratch and the cult members in the story bear resemblence to aum in real life; for example the members handing out flyers are all young and attractive, plus the cult call scratch always seems to emphasize the "A" in their name, and Aum of course begins with an A. the cult members sit in lotus positions and wear white pajamas in the episode and in real life...
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:40 pm Reply with quote
spikespiegel98 wrote:
just rewatched bebop's 23rd episode brain scratch and the cult members in the story bear resemblence to aum in real life; for example the members handing out flyers are all young and attractive, plus the cult call scratch always seems to emphasize the "A" in their name, and Aum of course begins with an A. the cult members sit in lotus positions and wear white pajamas in the episode and in real life...

*sigh*

I'm going to regret making the effort, here, but still....

Don't overinterpret "coincidences" which are simply standards of form. Don't make the mistake of believing that every culture in the universe uses the Latin alphabet (You think "Aum Shinrikyo" starts with an A in Japanese? Think again, it's オウム真理教 -- it starts with an O).

Don't make the mistake of believing that the basic psychological methodology of any one sect is different from that of others.

- All faiths use young and fresh-faced believers to attract new recruits. It's a basic principle of crowd psychology.

- Any random yoga-based sect, no matter which one, will use loose-fitting clothes, often in white or saffron colour schemes, to symbolize religious devotion and purity.

- And the Lotus position? Come on....

- abunai
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit -- but it is so difficult to resist.
Dune

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:27 am Reply with quote
Neon Genesis Evangelion was altered/influenced due to the gas attacks. Here is an excerpt from an interview with Azuma Hiroki, a critic who spoke with Hideaki Anno about it.

Quote:
Krystian Woznicki: So Anno changed the original plot of the story when he saw the news about the invasion of Aum's hide out by the police. Did he change it because it was too close to reality?

Azuma Hiroki: Yes, he said so.

KW: But did why he change it? What is the problem with Evangelion being so close to the Aum case?

AH: Anno thought that the original scenario will not be suitable for broadcasting. [...] But anyway, the original scenario is so shockingly close to the political motivation of the Aum Shinrikyo group, they fight against the upshot of the enemy, without knowing what the enemy really is. The angels change their form for example into pyramids, into shadows. I asked Anno about such abstract characteristics of the angels. He said that this reflects the feelings of his generation. For his generation the enemy is not political. It is also not definite. I mentioned to Anno that such abstract characteristics of the enemy are very close to the conception of Aum as enemy (e.g. poison gas) which he admitted. He also admitted the similarity of Evangelion with Aum. Nevertheless it is too simple to conclude that Anno was sympathetic with Aum. He emphasizes the closedness and exclusiveness of this group. They lost any contact with reality. In Anno's view this again is very close to the situation of anime fans. In fact Evangelion criticizes anime fans, and anime culture: it begins with ambiguous flirtations with conditions central to Aum, and ends with its critique as launched on the situation of anime fans.

[...]

KW: But do you really think that the parallels to Aum are characteristic of, or say, unique about Evangelion? For instance the case you just mentioned has occurred in various cases of recent film productions e.g. in the case of Fukui Shojin's Rubber's Lover whose production goes back to 1992 and which shortly after Aum came to fruition. Out of the fear to provoke misreadings Fukui changed some parts, as he feared those to be mistaken for a sympathetic account of Aum. Rubber's Lover is, on various levels, permeated with an ambiguous critique of Aum, such as their concept of the self, enlightenment through isolation, etc. Angel Dust made about two years before Aum happend describes certain conditions that became dominant in the Aum phenomena: again isolation, brain-washing, extortion. But the aspect of circulation, as it is linked to the mode of reception is perhaps unique about Evangelion and on this level also comparable with Oe's case: Evangelion was broadcasted at 6:30 p.m. in the afternoon on a major channel, reaching millions of people whereas the films just mentioned are usually seen by a limited audience. By the way, how popular was Oe at that time?

AH: I think that he was even more popular than he is now. But I admit that the closeness to Aum is not the privilege of Evangelion. The point is that Evangelion is an intrinsic critique of Aum. Anno's career is so close to that of Aum. The Anime fan is the typical type of Japanese otaku. The Aum affair tackled the cultural territory of the Otaku. [...] The problem with Otaku is not that they are underground but major and at the same time completely closed, "anti-social" and isolated. Their number is very high...

KW: ...and they are "alone but not lonely." (laughs)

Check it out: http://www.nettime.org/Lists-Archives/nettime-l-9802/msg00101.html

Puts the Angels in a whole new light, doesn't it?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2