• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Naruto to Run Uncut on Adult Swim's Toonami Block

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kakoishii

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:02 am Reply with quote
rootsofjustice wrote:

A license is nothing more than a piece of paper that says you can something for a certain amount of time. Whether Disney chooses to air the show or not, the license still belongs to them. I've figured they intend to hold on to the license until someone is willing to pay more for it from them than what they paid Viz for it to begin with or let the clock run to expiration. My personal feeling for the show aside, Disney is basically holding Naruto Shippuden for ransom.

Hardly. Disney used and abused Naruto to help bolster the numbers for their own stuff and then when they were done with it they moved the time slot back later and later until they finally had it bite the dust. They kicked that series to the curb like a wife beater does his battered wife once he's found younger and fresher meat. That being said, they still have the rights to air the series and considering they paid for those rights for "x" amount of time they're going to hold onto those rights for every bit of that time regardless if decide to air the show again or not. It'd be foolish to relinquish the rights simply because they have no interest in airing it because it'd be like flushing their own money down the toliet. I mean I guess you could look at it as a waste anyway since they're not showing it, but why would they relinquish the rights and let some other company potentially profit off it while they still have time left on their contract? That's like flushing money down the toliet and stuffing someone else's pocket with some more. It's equally stupid for another company to try and buy the rights to air a show off of another company who currently holds the rights. You don't feed money to your competitors. So the only way Shippuden will be aired again is once Disney's rights to air it expire allowing other companies to pick it up.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:45 am Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:
Hardly. Disney used and abused Naruto to help bolster the numbers for their own stuff and then when they were done with it they moved the time slot back later and later until they finally had it bite the dust. They kicked that series to the curb like a wife beater does his battered wife once he's found younger and fresher meat. That being said, they still have the rights to air the series and considering they paid for those rights for "x" amount of time they're going to hold onto those rights for every bit of that time regardless if decide to air the show again or not. It'd be foolish to relinquish the rights simply because they have no interest in airing it because it'd be like flushing their own money down the toliet. I mean I guess you could look at it as a waste anyway since they're not showing it, but why would they relinquish the rights and let some other company potentially profit off it while they still have time left on their contract? That's like flushing money down the toliet and stuffing someone else's pocket with some more. It's equally stupid for another company to try and buy the rights to air a show off of another company who currently holds the rights. You don't feed money to your competitors. So the only way Shippuden will be aired again is once Disney's rights to air it expire allowing other companies to pick it up.

Last I checked, this isn't the 90's anymore. We're no longer at the mercy of television executives who keep an iron grip over the shows we like. There are uncut DVDs of Shippunden available and people can and will find ways to get uncut views of their shows online. If these kinds of execs value their money more than their viewers, then they are in for a rude awakening.
Divineking

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:57 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
I just want to throttle VIz right about now. Tiger and Bunny is THERE. JUST THERE! It is the next Bebop and all they need to do is get it on AS.

And yet, here we are, looking at four years of Naruto on Cable and Tiger and Bunny rotting away on a channel locked away in the third place console (as much as I love my PS3, priories, people).

This is all an elaborate stunt by WS isn't it? We;re going to get teabagged with Eureka Seven: Astrel Ocean next, arn't we?

The more likely scenario is that AS either didn't want it(not too likely) or still can't afford it. Not sure how much the latter scenario still applies since Naruto probably wasn't that cheap a pickup, but considering that the block quite literally hasn't aired one "new" show since Deadman(Bleach premiers do not count), I'm guessing that's still the case. Just because Toonami doesn't have a high budget doesn't mean companies should be willing to give them new shows for dirt cheap.

That being said this was a pretty smart move on AS's part(even if I'm out of love with almost everything past the original series these days) as the show in all honesty is pretty much guaranteed to get ratings despite some of the complaints. Of course this now means that there's no excuse whatsoever for their next pickup to not be a newer title. It should be much easier to take that kind of gamble now that they have at least two ratings anchors.
AgitoZ

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:04 am Reply with quote
WeirDiE_InC wrote:
Would you rather have it on Vortexx? Rolling Eyes

Yes, I would.

I'm honestly surprised by how much people want certain shows on Toonami. Sure, some shows have too much content to be cut to be appropriate, but this block is not what it used to be.

Shows like One Piece, Naruto, etc, are all better suited to the weekday afternoon block Toonami used to have. I get trying to get more popular shows to help the block, but many will be more hindered by the terrible time slot than helped by it.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:28 am Reply with quote
TopGunman wrote:
Now the Naruto dub-haters can stop bitching about how Naruto is censored in the US. Although, they could have just bought the DVDs to watch it uncut YEARS AGO!

Also, it's pathetic to whine about an anime show for being censored on TV is if it's not the same show anymore because anime or not EVERYTHING IS CENSORED!!

Unfortunately, this was the point in the series where Naruto still said "Believe it."
TopGunman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:11 am Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
TopGunman wrote:
Now the Naruto dub-haters can stop bitching about how Naruto is censored in the US. Although, they could have just bought the DVDs to watch it uncut YEARS AGO!

Also, it's pathetic to whine about an anime show for being censored on TV is if it's not the same show anymore because anime or not EVERYTHING IS CENSORED!!

Unfortunately, this was the point in the series where Naruto still said "Believe it."

He kept saying 'Dattebayo' in Japanese, why is 'believe it' a big deal? -

And please don't anybody say 'it's annoying' because Naruto is SUPPOSED TO BE ANNOYING.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:34 pm Reply with quote
It's a kid's show at the end of the day and Naruto belongs next to other kids characters like the Power Rangers and John Cena on Vortexx than by friggin Family Guy.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:53 pm Reply with quote
504NOSON2 wrote:
They may implement a schedule similar to Jetix with Shippuden (i.e like 4 episodes a week). Toonami also did that with DB/Z around 2001, especially during the Cell arc, and a little during the very early Goku-in-otherworld filler prior to Buu. They aired 2 episodes per day. That'll blow through the seasons upon seasons at a much quicker rate, and may even slightly mitigate the problem I mentioned, above.

That wouldn't be a good idea since two episodes of one show before 2am would hog the schedule. Plus, the 2001 Toonami was on five times a week for three hours. It's far more easy to streamline a show under those circumstances than the current Toonami (on once a week, with only decent ratings for the first couple of hours).

The original Toonami was able to show 10 episodes of Dragon Ball Z a week at a great timeslot (15 if you count the Saturday repeats). The two episodes they showed on weekdays weren't always consecutive though. When they were premiering the Buu sagas, they would show one episode from that era, and one episode from another point in the series to keep viewers interested.

While I am grateful for Toonami for being around, and for showing the original Naruto, it would be nice for it to expand to a timeslot even RESEMBLING what it was before (and it doesn't have to show just anime). Though I've hated the way Cartoon Network has treated some of their programing blocks like DC Nation and Cartoon Planet (both of which have been on hiatus, with the latter just now coming back). I will continue to support the block to help it move further in it's mission.

For the record, I'm pretty sure that once Samurai 7 or Tenchi Muyo GXP are done with, Naruto may be pushed back, and it's timeslot may be taken over by something else (as has happened with other shows). I'm not used to a channel lineup being perfectly consistent, so this doesn't bother me too much, but I can understand others' frustration.

Last edited by PurpleWarrior13 on Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Sigh... Eureka 7 pushed back again. But I am happy to see the original Naruto again. I haven't seen it in years and I'm eager to see my favorite episodes again. Too bad it's going to take FOREVER to see those episodes again lol.
killerjaws12

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:43 pm Reply with quote
not a fan of naruto but i do prefer naruto part 1 a billion times more than shippuden with all the plot holes and bs tat shippuden has but im sure that this will get toonami ratings but i wanted one piece on the block more than i wanted naruto [dont like naruto] so one piece would gain more exposure considering its my fav anime/manga of all time and the reason i got into anime.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure that "Naruto" will be a good match for Adult Swim. Don't get me wrong. I like the show. I just don't think I want to see it uncut. Some things are better off in edited form. "Naruto" seems to be among those things. But,I also think that Toonami doesn't fit into Adult Swim all that well.
I have no idea how this'll work. There are probably those drooling at the possibility of seeing Sakura,Hinata,and the other "Naruto" girls without clothes on. That's something I don't really want to see. While I like the idea of "Naruto" returning to Cartoon Network,I'm not sure I want to watch the uncut version. It seems too...unnecessary to me.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
I'm not sure that "Naruto" will be a good match for Adult Swim. Don't get me wrong. I like the show. I just don't think I want to see it uncut. Some things are better off in edited form. "Naruto" seems to be among those things. But,I also think that Toonami doesn't fit into Adult Swim all that well.
I have no idea how this'll work. There are probably those drooling at the possibility of seeing Sakura,Hinata,and the other "Naruto" girls without clothes on. That's something I don't really want to see. While I like the idea of "Naruto" returning to Cartoon Network,I'm not sure I want to watch the uncut version. It seems too...unnecessary to me.

Have you seen the show? Not all that much was cut. It's a kid's show, not freaking Queens Blade.
Tylerr

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Yeah... and its only going to take like 5 years to get through the whole thing lol...
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:12 pm Reply with quote
"You kids don't know what you want! That's why you're kids! Cause you're stupid! Just tell me what's wrong with the damn show!" -Roger Myers Jr.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Well,Beatdigga,I have seen the show in edited form. And that's how I hope it remains. Without any bad language in it at all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8